> Rethreading Question/Source
Xel
post Jan 20 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,804

Greetings,
I've seen the idea of "rethreading" discussed quite a bit with regards to Technomancers and was wondering where the concept came from... what rules are being used (or interpreted) to explain how it works as far as game mechanics go? Is this just a popular house rule?

Thanks,
--Xel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 20 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I don't know quite where it originated, but I sure won't be using it.

Personally, I'd love to see Threading restricted even further by actually making it take some kind of Action.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 20 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I think it came up in a discussion about a TM made by Tarantula.

There is no basic explanation. The rules do not assign an action to threading, so nothing really stops you from rolling threading again and again until you have the desired number of successes.

Count me, like Fortune, amongst those who would have you roll only once. If someone in my group started playing a TM for real I´d likely allow them to choose the number of successes, if it came up.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jan 20 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

Nothing stops you from using threading again and again except that it must be sustained so penalties would accumulate rapidly. AFAIK nothing says this penalty is not applied to hacking rolls (exploit etc.) or even to resist fading.

I think it is pretty clear threading was not made to stack with itself, any more than spell force stacks.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 20 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

The point of rethreading is not stacking, but waiting for a roll with more successes. You drop unsatisfactory threadings to do it anew, which by RAW does not even take an action.

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jan 20 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,495

I don't think so:

SR Core Rules p.234
Technomancers have the ability to improvise Complex Forms that they do not know on the fly, OR increase the rating of a complex form they do know.

So at least you can't increase a complex form you don't know, after you improvised it.

and in my opinion, threading doesn't stack, because its the only logical way and there isn't any suggestion that it might be stacking.

naturally you can try multiple times to thread until you have enough hits, but you will suffer fading every time.

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 20 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Fading for what? Guess how high you choose to thread if you don´t want to keep the result?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 20 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Tycho)
naturally you can try multiple times to thread until you have enough hits ...

And just what limits would you put on a non-Action? When does it start to get silly?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 20 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

how about this, threading is only allowed as a test within a action...

as in, if the TM tries to do something he does not have the complex form for, he gets to try and thread it as part of the action, taking whatever he gets.

same with a complex form he have, but may not cut it. then he can thread it up as part of using said complex form within a action.

that way threading itself do not take a action, but it still takes a action to use threading ;)

ok, so one can have a TM sitting around doing trivial actions to try and thread himself a nasty CF. but then you hit him with a ICE unless he is doing it his home node or something. and using that place to thread, where every action would, in theory, be automatic? rules abuse :P

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jan 20 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
as in, if the TM tries to do something he does not have the complex form for, he gets to try and thread it as part of the action, taking whatever he gets.

that is how threading works, allowing a TM to just reroll until he gets the hits he wants is the same as allowing a mage to reroll intil he gets the hits he wants.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 20 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

something a mage can in theory do on some spells :(

hell, i recall reading something like that about anchored spells at some edition or other (probably second, as thats the first anchoring rules i bumped into, and i would say they are still the best ones)...

but does the book at any time directly state that rolling treading as part of a matrix action is the official way of using threading?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 20 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Awakened Asset

No, it has threading and using a complex form as separate actions.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 20 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Ryu)
No, it has threading and using a complex form as separate actions.

Really? What specific type of Action does Threading require? Free? Simple? Complex?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 20 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #14

Awakened Asset

That is the problem. It does not say. But the description does sound like a process that takes time.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 20 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #15

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Rethreading becomes fairly self policing if your DM remembers that each time you "try again" on a failed task (And if you didn't fail then why in the hell are you rerolling in the first place?) you take a -2 to your dicepool, and the modifier stacks.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 21 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Ravor)
And if you didn't fail then why in the hell are you rerolling in the first place?.

That's part of the problem. Some people believe that it is both possible and permissible to re-thread, and then add the hits to their previous threading attempt. And then do it again. All of which seem to take up no actual time or concentration, being that there isn't even a Free Action involved.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jan 21 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Ravor)
Rethreading becomes fairly self policing if your DM remembers that each time you "try again" on a failed task (And if you didn't fail then why in the hell are you rerolling in the first place?) you take a -2 to your dicepool, and the modifier stacks.

Jup I think that fixes it more or less. I use this penalty on spells, summoning spirits as well so why not here? It practically begs for it.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 21 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

one COULD argue, that you are not actually failing but simply trying again . . like when you try to build a paper plane . . you actually succeed in making one the first time, but you're not happy about that angle here or that fold there and so you start anew untill you have a plane that you believe to be perfect O.o

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jan 21 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele)
one COULD argue, that you are not actually failing but simply trying again . . like when you try to build a paper plane . . you actually succeed in making one the first time, but you're not happy about that angle here or that fold there and so you start anew untill you have a plane that you believe to be perfect O.o

Except in this system the attempts at making something and redoing it till it's the way you want it is one simple roll.

Oh, and having folded a few paper planes I remember refolding one usually make it worse - much better to have a straight fresh paper sheet.

And whenever you roll a success test in this game you either succeed or fail - getting no hits means you fail, even if you chose that yourself.

And you're not really defending this are you.. damn these japanese smileys - they're all ninjas hiding in plain sight!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 21 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

nah, i ain't defending this *g*
it's basically the same problem as with any build/repair test where you wanna build something and can take it apart again to reuse the same parts . . of course, that will not work with ONE sheet of paper for several planes *g*
and don't you be hating on my smileys ._.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 21 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #21

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Sure, but I don't allow characters to get away with using B/R skills like that either, for starters I figure that threads are going to get slightly stripped, ect in the process of putting it together/taking it apart, not to mention the mental exhaustion that comes from repetitive tasks.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jan 21 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ravor)
Sure, but I don't allow characters to get away with using B/R skills like that either, for starters I figure that threads are going to get slightly stripped, ect in the process of putting it together/taking it apart, not to mention the mental exhaustion that comes from repetitive tasks.

there isn't any mental exhaustion for something that the character enjoys doing.
nor is there destroyed items in a build/repair unless he's making something from scratch and not simply buying parts and assembling the item, for instance new part/old car.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 21 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (djinni)
there isn't any mental exhaustion for something that the character enjoys doing.
nor is there destroyed items in a build/repair unless he's making something from scratch and not simply buying parts and assembling the item, for instance new part/old car.

Are you talking 'real life' or 'in game'? Because if you meant 'real life', you are definitely wrong on both statements.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Jan 22 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

Rethreading (with rules as is) comes down to two scenarios

You disallow it, and technomancers have their masterbutory roll-a-thon, till they get as high of a rating as is possible (or as high as they want)...  Then they'll suffer fading equal to that rating.

Or you allow it, and the technomancer (after a finite number of rolls) will always pull up a max rating program, with 0 or minimal fading.

Of course in this context the first is obviously the better choice, except when you look at your technomancer as some sort of masochist who mutilates himself in order to prevent the hacker from injuring him...???

But mages take damage as well right... True a mage casts a force 5 fireball, he suffers 7 drain, and does 5 + Net Hits damage to everyone in the area.

Technomancer compiles a rating 5 Black Hammer, he suffers 5 drain, and adds 5 dice to his pool. He's not getting hits he's getting chances at hits.

How about the mage upping his dice pool, he casts a force 5 Increase [Attribute], he suffers 1 drain, and adds (up to) 5 dice to his pool.

I don't see any problem with rethreading to prevent damage, and get chances of success. Just needs to put time periods on it to prevent them from rethreading constantly at rating 1.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jan 22 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 21 2008, 06:28 PM)
Are you talking 'real life' or 'in game'? Because if you meant 'real life', you are definitely wrong on both statements.

cuz you know when I take apart a computer and put it back together, there's no way I could have done it without breaking something...
and when I have to clean out the fuel system in my car I take it completely apart, and obviously there's no way I could put it back to together without breaking it.
and when I work on computers all day, and then work on my car all night, I'm obviously suffering from mental stress that inhibits me so much I can't function properly.

@Night:
why allow them to do it in the first place? just state that threading is part of the action and you can only "rethread" on subsequent rounds/actions, but only once per action.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.