Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elemental Strike (Blast)
StealthBanana
post Jan 23 2008, 06:51 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,840

In Street Magic (pp. 164), under the descriptions of the Blast elemental effect, it talks about Force.

At the gamemaster's discretion, objects with a Structure rating less than the Force may be knocked over, shattered, shredded, or otherwise swept away.

How do you determine the Force of the Elemental Strike (Blast) when an adept uses the power? Am I missing a reference somewhere? Page numbers greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did a search on this topic (several variations and several times) and nothing came up, so if I missed it somehow a link to the thread discussing this issue is just as good.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jan 23 2008, 06:54 AM
Post #2

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Generally, for Adepts, Force = Magic is considered the rule of thumb.

+Quote Post
StealthBanana
post Jan 23 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 3,840

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 23 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

RE: the search,
Don't forget to expand the timespan over which the system searches. It defaults to threads in the last 30 days, but if you switch it to searching for threads for the entire life span of the forum, you're likely to find more information.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jan 23 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

QUOTE (Cain)
Generally, for Adepts, Force = Magic is considered the rule of thumb.

For magician's way adepts, which magic score would be used to determine force? If my adept had Magic 5, with 2 points sunk into magical power and 3 points in the standard physical adept stuff, would the force of his elemental strike be 2, 3, or 5?

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jan 23 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

That's really a judgment call for the GM, since it's not spelled out anywhere, but I'd use the total Magic rating.

+Quote Post
GentlemanLoser
post Jan 23 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,029

I'd use the split total. With only the magic socre giving you Power Points applicable to durations (or other stats) of Adept powers.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jan 23 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

What number is used to determine what spell Forces count as overcasting? (I actually can't remember.) If it uses the total rating, I would do the same for something like this. If it uses the split rating, then likewise.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 23 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

If it helps, this is from the SR4 FAQ ...

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ)
Though mystic adepts must split their Magic between Magic-based skills and adept powers, it says that for all other purposes, including the limits of adept powers, the mystic adept uses his full Magic attribute. Does this mean that a mystic adept with Magic 6 who has allocated 2 points to Magic skills and 4 points to adept powers can cast Force 6 spells without flinching?

The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), overcasting, and maximum spell Force, for example.

For power points and Magic when used by adept powers, only the points allocated towards adept powers apply. This includes Attribute Boost Tests and the like.

For all other purposes -- i.e., non-Magic-linked skills -- the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, and so on.

So in the example above, the maximum Force he can cast at is 4, and anything over Force 2 is Physical Drain.

Italics not mine!

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 23 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #10

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I´d still use the full rating for balance purposes. Augmented magicians have it better anyway.

I see magical power as just another power, albeit with limited access. No reason to limit other powers because of that.

Edit: Seems my dislike for the FAQ increases.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.