IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Confused on: Bunraku, One word, multiple meanings?
Cardul
post Jan 28 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,006

OK, to begin with: I had thought that Bunraku parlours were just a Japanese way of saying "Brothel." However, in the "really pissed off yaks" thread, some comments made them sound more like just "strip clubs." However, when I did a search on Bunraku...all I found were references to a form of Japanese puppetry with 3 puppetteers for each puppet.

So, since I had never heard the term Bunraku, let alone of a Bunraku parlour before 4th Edition...can someone please explain exactly what one is?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 28 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Basically, they are brothels where the 'hosts' and 'hostesses' are implanted with Skillwires and the like, then fed persona chips for all (and I mean all) occasions and perversions. Typically some amount of cosmetic surgery is also involved.

Hence the name 'Meat Puppets'.

I am sure that somebody else can do the tradition as it appears in the Sixth World more justice.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 28 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Imagine prostitutes made up to look like movie stars. And government officials. Or your ex-wife. Now imagine they think and act and talk like them too. That's a bunraku parlor. It's not a strip club, and the word does come from the Japanese puppeteer. I believe the first real description of something like it was in Neuromancer and the preceding short story Burning Chrome.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jan 28 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

There is also a extra flavor of dehumanization in bunraku parlors, because sometimes (often?) the puppet is unwilling or even unknowing. It is one thing to be forced to _do_ it, it is another to be forced to _like_ it, and not even remember what it was you liked.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jan 28 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

I thought it had something to do with puppets, but the 3 puppeteers makes sense - 1 is the skillwire, 1 the personafix, and 1 cosmetic surgery. All required to make the puppet move well and please the audience :)

OK seriously this is perhaps the most disturbing aspect of Shadowrun....

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jan 28 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

I'm with you there.

As if it wasn't dangerous enough being a teenage runaway.

It takes roughly 3k in cyberware (datajack and R1 Skillwires) to set a person up as a bunny whore. If the parlor is organized enough, the ware might even be used (from a worker whose last client was into rough stuff.)

Even high-end cybergeishas probably have less than 30k invested in them.

Worst thing is, I can see kids staying home because all the the stepdad does is beat them.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 28 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #7

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

turning humans into machines, if thats not a core of cyberpunk i dont know what is...

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 28 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

I'm with you there.

Thirded. Bunraku is nasty and some of my players would probably freak if I brought it up in the game.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 28 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #9

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

It's not just Shadowrun, but the cyberpunk genre. I've played a character who was the Face and was a runaway from one of the bunraku parlors. Damaged goods was probably the kindest way to describe the baggage she had about sex and most interpersonal relationships.

Personally, I understand how a lot of people can separate themselves from what happens to their bodies with the Memory Filter blocking out what actually happened. By not having any recollection of the events, it becomes easier to justify as having happened to someone else or just a piece of meat not actually to one's self.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 28 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #10

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

IIRC there are descriptions of bunraku in the yakuza section of the Underworld Sourcebook.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 28 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

something i'd probably worry more about . . you basically have an army of mindless killing machines, if you feed them the right chips O.o
granted their attributes may be low, but heck, you just slot sniper-rifles or assault-rifles and sick em at whomever . .

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Jan 28 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

I seriously debated making my current PC (a former yak) have a thing for Bunraku parlors. Decided against it for the same reason as Knasser. It's just too twisted.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Jan 28 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 28 2008, 02:09 PM)
something i'd probably worry more about . . you basically have an army of mindless killing machines, if you feed them the right chips O.o
granted their attributes may be low, but heck, you just slot sniper-rifles or assault-rifles and sick em at whomever . .

I believe that was the plot of one of the original SR modules... Dreamchipper. I've run that module 6 times with 6 different groups. At the end when they decide if they return the chips for the cash or smash em to bits "in the process of retrieving them" I have NEVER found a group that took the cash.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jan 28 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jan 28 2008, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

I'm with you there.

Thirded. Bunraku is nasty and some of my players would probably freak if I brought it up in the game.

Disturbing? Perhaps, but it remains one of the few really meaty (if you'll forgive the pun) ties Shadowrun maintains with cyberpunk. I think it can be used in a game quite tastfully at that. You don't have to go into explicit detail with it after all, unless of course the players really want to.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 28 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

I dunno. I might put stuff like Halberstram's babies up near the top of the list.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Jan 28 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Imagine prostitutes made up to look like movie stars. And government officials. Or your ex-wife. Now imagine they think and act and talk like them too. That's a bunraku parlor. It's not a strip club, and the word does come from the Japanese puppeteer. I believe the first real description of something like it was in Neuromancer and the preceding short story Burning Chrome.

George Alec Effinger had a whole culture around this sort of stuff in his Budayeen series (When Gravity Fails, A Fire In The Sun, et. al). The main difference is that people were doing it to themselves, which kind of makes it creepier in a way. Sort of. The main character is kind of coerced into getting wired though, which opens up a world of problems. The narration during the periods when he's under a different personality is...weird.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 28 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the concept springs at least partially from Molly Millions, who spent time as a sex worker with a memory cutout, saving up money to pay for the combat implants she wanted. she found out later that during the memory cutouts, they were forcing her to do really rough stuff.

i like the bunraku concept because it allows me to introduce some really dirty, nasty concepts to the game--real stuff, but with a little fantasy twist that makes it easier to accept.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 28 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Ancient History)
I believe the first real description of something like it was in Neuromancer and the preceding short story Burning Chrome.

Molly Millions, the razorgirl from Neuromancer, tells that she earned the money for her combat cyberware working as a "meat puppet"...

Damn, too slow...

This post has been edited by MYST1C: Jan 28 2008, 07:32 PM

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 28 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I imagine that some bunraku parlors are classier than others.

In my mind a "true" bunraku parlor is very much live a modern day host(ess) club. Patrons sit down, eat over priced food, and drink overpriced drinks while flirting with a replica of a famous person or character. Sometimes, they sing karaoke together. Sex is never mentioned and may the parlor has a policy against sexual activity on the premises. The customer isn't paying for sex, he's paying for the experience of having drinks and singing karaoke with a famous person. Still many would allow a customer to rent a private room, ostensibly for more intimate dining, but usually for a chance to have sex with the bunraku hostess. Most such bunraku parlors would operate openly and semi-transparently, avoiding prostitution charges because there is never a direct quid-pro-quo, and some would even be respectable enough to to serve as a location for a meeting with a Big 10 CEO. In these, it can be expected, but not guaranteed, that the employees are being paid a commission, have their P-fixes removed at the end of the work day, and signed up without duress. It can also be expected that the employees get tested for STDs regularly.

There might be some based around the no-pan kisa concept, where there is no sex, just waitresses with p-fixes and cosmetic surgery serving dinner without underwear. And some would resemble a health club, with popular characters giving relaxing sensual massages which may involve below-the-waist massaging.

The low-rent brothel version staffed entirely by p-fixed sex slaves who live and work in 5x10 rooms furnished with heavily stained mattresses are often referred to as bunraku parlors by laymen but are generally looked down upon by real bunraku workers and owners, who should be eager to point out the difference.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 28 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 28 2008, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Jan 29 2008, 02:02 AM)

I dunno. I might put stuff like Halberstram's babies up near the top of the list.

Ditto; in the hierarchy of disturbing things that SR has to offer, Halberstam is at the top of the list, right up there with Deus' experiments in the Arcology.

Actually, I would put Bug spirits, Halberstam and Deus' Network all above the institution of the bunraku; at least there's a chance of escape from a bunraku parlor--not so much if you're stuffed into a cocoon, a CCU or are made into a Node.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 28 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

for some reason i would park both bug spirits and deus below bunraku, but halberstam above it.

bug spirits, its how the "live". there are many real life bugs that reproduce by planting their eggs into another being, the bugs just take this to a whole different level.

deus, say hello to the amoral machine...

the are more or less just another dragon, just another reminder that humans are no longer the top of the food chain.

but the next two are humans doing to humans, with no other gain then money and/or knowledge.

that just scares me on a whole different level, as it reminds me how easy it is for humans to regard their own with lesser value if they can gain something from it.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 28 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Knowledge is a laudable goal unto itself. The techniques pioneered by Halberstam can save countless lives in the future and possibly give humanity a fighting chance in the inevitable war against sentient machines and then again in the inevitable Scourge.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 28 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #23

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Knowledge is a laudable goal unto itself. The techniques pioneered by Halberstam can save countless lives in the future and possibly give humanity a fighting chance in the inevitable war against sentient machines and then again in the inevitable Scourge.

Compassion and respect for each other make the species strong. Why trade that for shaving a year or two off the pace of scientific knowledge?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 28 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

compassion and respect make the species weak. everybody will live in peace and harmony--until some species that doesn't live in peace and harmony comes along and eats the peaceful species.

granted, a total lack of compassion and respect also weakens the species, because it will be too busy with infighting to unify against external threats. but still, depending on the Care Bare Stare for defense is a really bad idea.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Jan 28 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

"It's not enough to survive; one must be worthy of surviving"

-- Commander Adama, in the episode "Resurrection Ship"

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.