IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whatever Happened...., to Tir Tairngire?
OldBird
post Feb 8 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,759

All:

I have the impression that there's been a regime change in the Tir, but can't remember where I got that impression. Does anyone have an idea? And would you be so kind as to mention the publication where that info is located?

Thanks so much in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 8 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I thought for sure it was mentioned in the history section of SR4, but it's not. Maybe System Failure? I don't have that one on PDF.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Nope, nothing there. Something is seems to be going on, but no source has told us what, yet.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 8 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 185

There was a revolution in Tir Tairngire after the Crash 2.0. The coup removed the Council of Princes and was led by Rinelle; whether there was a relation to the the New Revolution coups in North Am is unknown. Little or nothing is revealed about the revolution itself except that High Prince Lugh Surehand is on the run.

Glimpses of the current, 2070 situation have been featured in Runner Havens (Seattle) and Corp Enclaves (LA).

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Feb 8 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

I asked Rob a similar question, about the backstory behind Lugh Surehands fall from power. He said it was in a novel by Mulvihill, and that the novel was "in limbo". Have not seen or heard anything about it since.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 8 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #6

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...yeah, I am very interested in this as well considering I live in RL Portland and have wanted to set a campaign here again. The last one I ran kind of was trashed when the TT sourcebook came out as I didn't expect the Tir to be the pseudo aristo-fascist -racist regime as it was portrayed in the supplement

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Running Target

What did you expect from immortal elves? Enlightened Utopia? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But to go a little off-topic: does anyone have any info on new SR novels? I crave to read stuff. SR is the only RPG where I actually liked the novels.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Feb 8 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

It sure would be nice of them to tell us, someday. It continues to irk me that they spent multiple editions and several game books telling us how awesome Immortal Elves (and as such the rulers of Tir Tairngire) are, did their best to convince us they're super ninja hardcore, telling us no one fucks with the Tir, their Border Guard are totally awesome, blah blah blah... and then dropping us one book with mention of a terrorist group being there, and then fast-fucking-forwarding things on us to just mention in passing that the High Prince is running away from his own Ghosts (oh, and please pass the salt, thanks).

If the novels in limbo, release the mo'fo on line or something. Flesh it out a LITTLE in a history lesson in some other books. Hell, make the news update on the web page a list of the new Council, one day. Give us something.

Citizens demand answers !!

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Feb 8 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

I on the other hand am glad to know that the Immortal Elves were incapable to adapt to the economical realities of the 6th world and ruined their wannabe-elven paradise with all that supercyber-ninja-army expenses, superhigh technology stuffing, police-control, uber-magic reliancy, and other stuff, proving that the Immortal Elves aren't awesome at all. They're old-fashioned, and still believe that isolationism and sitting in woods will solve all problems.

That's the right direction that Shadowrun took with Shadows over North America and then Runner Havens.

Ha, dumb Immortal Elves...

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Feb 8 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Feb 8 2008, 09:37 PM) *
I on the other hand am glad to know that the Immortal Elves were incapable to adapt to the economical realities of the 6th world and ruined their wannabe-elven paradise with all that supercyber-ninja-army expenses, superhigh technology stuffing, police-control, uber-magic reliancy, and other stuff, proving that the Immortal Elves aren't awesome at all. They're old-fashioned, and still believe that isolationism and sitting in woods will solve all problems.

That's the right direction that Shadowrun took with Shadows over North America and then Runner Havens.

Ha, dumb Immortal Elves...

Exactly. I really like the "new Tir".

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #11

Running Target

That'S so great about Elves in SR and ED. They are not Tolkien-super-wisdom type of elves. They fuck things up on a regular basis. Bloodwood anyone?

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Feb 8 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

Oops. And here my group's gone and led up to a intra-Tir/inter-Tir war all on it's own....

+Quote Post
Magus
post Feb 8 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Well there is still Tir Nan Nog. Immortal Elves there too, but they have the entire country that was renamed.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #14

Running Target

And they have serious trouble with the protective mist they have build around the island. Sucks to be unable to learn from past mistakes.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 8 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

...Particle_Beam: Damn straight.

First they shot themselves in the foot by screwing up their biggest city. Instead of promoting Portland as a gateway and centre for international commerce, the council in it's infinite wisdom decided to demote it almost into obscurity. The once vibrant city became pretty much nothing more than a repository for the "heathen" as evidenced by the Portland Wall. (Tir Taringire setting book)

Next, by severely limiting activities of the Megas within the Tir borders (and trying to at the same time compete with them in several industries), they throttled their own economic development. Yes the Corps would have extraterritoriality for their complexes, but their employees would still pump money back into the local economy. The odd thing what was good for the others didn't apply to the TT as their installations, including gates are airports where the state airline flew to, were considered sovereign territory. (Tir Taringire setting book).

Third by alienating almost all other metatypes (particularly humans) they sewed seeds of dissent and cut themselves off from a valuable labour pool.

Finally there was the border lockdown after Dunkie's assassination (SoNA). By closing themselves off from what little foreign trade they still had, the council basically drove the final stake through the heart of the "Land of [broken] Promise" as this led to a near economic collapse.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 8 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Then they put Hestaby on the Council of Princes, something akin to putting Salman Rushdie on the Guardian Council.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 8 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

I'd really like to get some hard fast info on Tir. My runners just figured out that tunnels off the ork underground are commonly used to smuggle goods and people to and from there.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 9 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 8 2008, 01:52 PM) *
Then they put Hestaby on the Council of Princes, something akin to putting Salman Rushdie on the Guardian Council.

...the logic of that move still confounds me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 9 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #19

Running Target

They didn't really put her in there. It was like they all came back from celebrating Lofwyrs departure and Hestaby was already there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 9 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #20

Bushido Cowgirl

...and as much as I dislike both, that is why I place GDs above IEs on the SR foodchain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 9 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Oh god yes! They're freaking DRAGONS!

Last time I checked, when an IE gets gacked they don't rip holes in the fabric of space and time.

And now to flame bait:

GD's>IE's

Go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 9 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Keep thinking that way ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 9 2008, 02:36 AM
Post #23

Running Target

I'll pick Dragon over ex-Dragon employee anytime. Although, if Aina would be the IE in question, I might reconsider (not beeing in the ex-Dragon employees club and all).

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Feb 9 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

Now if only they would have made Ghostwalker a little bit less silly and godzilla-like, and more cunning and sneaky, as other dragons were depicted as, when he "conquered" Denver, that would have been a little bit better. Just a little bit, but still better.
Oh well, you can't change the crappy parts of the Shadowrun setting history like that big brutish wizzworm, I'm afraid.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 9 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

I always love when the Tir comes up. I still remember in High School when my parents said we were moving to Portland, I was like "Yay, Im coming home to the Tir!" The complete lack of fluff support from the developers though is VERY disappointing to say the least. Critias, I share your sentiments completely. Instead of being so selfish, just release the fucking pdf, WE WILL BUY IT! Why didnt they at least give us something in Corporate Enclaves.

And WHY is Surehand on the run? Sure he isnt Ehran or Harlequin, but he is still a bad ass mother. They all are. I dont really think it is worthwhile to compare Great Dragons and Immortal Elves, since Dragons drink SOOOOOO much further up the river than elves do. Its amazing that some metahumans are even in the position of being compared. That is something in and of itself. I know I am always an elf cheerleader (Go Pointy Ears!). Sure they aren't all Elrond, but then again, even in Tolkien's world, he was the exception. Even the immortal make mistakes. They just have more time learn, hopefully.

Anyways, If there are any SR dev's listening, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GIVE US INFORMATION!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.