Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What skill is used to train animals
Lord Ben
post Feb 24 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,659

I can't find a good animal training skill. But I might just be looking in the wrong spots. Anyone know what I'd use?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 24 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Artisan {Animal Training}

+Quote Post
KurenaiYami
post Feb 24 2008, 04:30 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,668

I'd think it to be a professional knowledge skill, myself.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 24 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Zoology and the like are Knowledge Skills, but actually hands-on training should probably be an Active Skill if it going to see more than just fluff usage.

+Quote Post
KurenaiYami
post Feb 24 2008, 05:08 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,668

QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 23 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Zoology and the like are Knowledge Skills, but actually hands-on training should probably be an Active Skill if it going to see more than just fluff usage.

Debatable. Should my guy with the Academic Knowledge of Chemistry not be able to use his knowledge of chemistry to do anything aside from identify chemicals?

Should my character that has the Professional Knowledge Skill of Architecture not be able to find the weak points of a structure to plant explosives, giving a bonus to the damage? Or are we calling that "fluff"?

+Quote Post
swirler
post Feb 24 2008, 05:09 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Feb 23 2008, 08:40 PM) *
I can't find a good animal training skill. But I might just be looking in the wrong spots. Anyone know what I'd use?

I think they are covering that in that critter supplement whenever it comes out,I forget
what is it? something Wild
Buck Wild?
Runnin wild?
Brokeback Barrens?

+Quote Post
deek
post Feb 24 2008, 05:11 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

Wouldn't animal training be part of the Instruction skill? Just throwing that out there...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 24 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (KurenaiYami @ Feb 24 2008, 04:08 PM) *
Should my guy with the Academic Knowledge of Chemistry not be able to use his knowledge of chemistry to do anything aside from identify chemicals?

Arsenal suggests changing Chemistry to an Active Skill if it is going to see heavy use.

Should my character that has the Professional Knowledge Skill of Architecture not be able to find the weak points of a structure to plant explosives, giving a bonus to the damage? Or are we calling that "fluff"?

I'm calling that 'fluff'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would only make something an Active Skill if it an integral part of the character concept, and is going to be used quite frequently, and have lasting effects on the campaign. If the character wants Animal Training so he can keep a few cats around, then I'd count is at a Knowledge Skill. If the character plans on seeking out and training a horde of Hellhounds, then it would be Active all the way.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 24 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (swirler @ Feb 24 2008, 04:09 PM) *
I think they are covering that in that critter supplement whenever it comes out,I forget
what is it? something Wild
Buck Wild?
Runnin wild?
Brokeback Barrens?

Running Wild (although Brokeback Barrens gets my vote (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). But that book is a year or so away, and some games just can't wait for it. I would just assign a Skill (Artisan, Instruction, or whatever you feel is best) and run with it, and adjust it to fit canon when the appropriate book is released.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 24 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

Unarmed Combat!!! Beat the animal into submission. Works for elephants, horses, lions and tigers, dogs, cats....wives....

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Feb 24 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

my vote is for Instruction specialized in (animals). You could definitely apply the same skill and principles to school children if you like and the laws of your country allow it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers!

Max

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 24 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

My REAL vote: Instruction (Animals)

My hearts vote: Brokeback Barrens, the touching tale of two gangers, and their struggle for love...

+Quote Post
swirler
post Feb 24 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

heh
glad I could make people laugh with that one.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Feb 24 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

I'm going to have to go with Instruction (Animals) as well.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 24 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Don't forget to use the Parashield's ARE Kennel and Virtual Rolled Newspaper for the bonus dice.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 24 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Is that an AR overlay that lets you imagine that you're not actually hitting your pet barghest with a AZ-120 stun baton?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Feb 24 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

I would say Instruction (+2 Animals) for training, and Animal Care/Handling Knowledge for keeping the animal fed, healthy, ect.

Running Wild is supposed to cover this when it is released, but that will be in a year or so.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 25 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (deek @ Feb 24 2008, 01:11 AM) *
Wouldn't animal training be part of the Instruction skill? Just throwing that out there...

HAHAHAHAHA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)
I'm surprised this wasn't the first reply. Truly, Instruction skill is everything that is needed. Though I'm sure Running Wild will have plenty supplementary rules.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 25 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 24 2008, 04:34 PM) *
Is that an AR overlay that lets you imagine that you're not actually hitting your pet barghest with a AZ-120 stun baton?

There is an AR overlay for everything. You can make your reality whatever you want in 2070. I cant wait till we can make it even better with Hot Sim AR!

+Quote Post
Phantastik
post Feb 25 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 15,495

There are many fine animal trainers who, plunked down into a college zoology class and handed an exam and a couple of pencils, would flunk utterly... they are not academics. I'd certainly say it's an active skill, and if it's going to see heavy use, I'd probably house rule it as an Instruction variant linked maybe to Intuition rather than Charisma.

IN regards to the chemistry comparison I can say (as a chemist!) that "knowledge" of chemistry absolutely does not confer the ability to operate competently in a laboratory setting - someone could lecture on synthetic organic chemistry at an advanced level but be incapable of synthesizing compounds if they were given a lab... indeed, theory and lab tracks are differing aspects of a chemistry curriculum. Lab work should certainly be an active skill (an artisan skill, subject to appropriate shop and facility modifiers.)

You could extend the argument to a whole spectrum of academic disciplines with application features - for example, someone with knowledge (finance) probably isn't making any money unless they also have artisan (trading), and so on.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 25 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

I'd have to agree, most of the economics/finance people I know are wealthy but not stupid wealthy. Taking the book knowledge and turning that into raw hard nuyen is something else entirely.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 25 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 25 2008, 12:17 PM) *
I'm surprised this wasn't the first reply.

I was thinking more artistically. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 25 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I'll join the crowd and suggest instruction as well. What we'll likely get in the Critter Supplement will be a variety fo tools to make it easier, and maybe a table of modifiers or thresholds for to adjust for the intelligence, socialization, inherent stubborness (+2 threshold for training donkeys) of the critter and any personality quirks or traits.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.