> Ritual sorcery, Fill me in please...
Squinky
post Mar 6 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,377

Hi all,

Did some reading up on ritual sorcery, and I am really digging it from a cool factor point of view. But I have some questions that the search function just can't answer for me.

1. Do you go through all that and only get to cast one spell?

2. Why not just send a spirit of man to the same target and have it cast innate spell? Wouldn't this be similar and faster?

Beyond that I was wondering if I am somehow missing the full potential? If so can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Mar 6 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

1. Yes.

2. Sort of. Ritual spellcasting offers some different parameters for targeting, plus the ability to get more dice than the spirit might. And don't even get me started with the scary that a magician with Great Ritual can wreak.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 6 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

It's hugely powerful, if you have a group of initiated ritual magicians. See http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18303 for the grossness fully revealed.

In particular http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=563054 and the followups.

It's virtually useless for PCs, unless you use Frank's house rule that allows magicians to team up using ritual magic skill to make a teamwork test on a regular spell in regular time.

GMs tend to be more likely to have teams of ritual mages laying around...

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Mar 6 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 5 2008, 07:54 PM) *
It's virtually useless for PCs, unless you use Frank's house rule that allows magicians to team up using ritual magic skill to make a teamwork test on a regular spell in regular time

Ritual Magic is useful if you actually have enough PCs to do it with. I for one have used Ritual tracking to success many a time, and still find it quite useful. Have never needed to nuke someone without looking, so have never used Ritual Spellcasting.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Mar 6 2008, 04:47 AM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

I posted this a while back. It might offer some use for the skill.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Mar 6 2008, 07:09 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

And of course street magic offers you even more options on how to target people.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Mar 6 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (Aaron @ Mar 5 2008, 11:47 PM) *
I posted this a while back. It might offer some use for the skill.

It is a cute use of Ritual Magic. Unfortunately, the supplies required, the number of mages, bound spirits, etc. make this cost prohibitive. It is an idea, though personally, Ill stick to remote detonators.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Mar 6 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (nathanross @ Mar 6 2008, 02:23 AM) *
It is a cute use of Ritual Magic. Unfortunately, the supplies required, the number of mages, bound spirits, etc. make this cost prohibitive. It is an idea, though personally, Ill stick to remote detonators.

Actually, unless I'm reading the rules wrong, you don't need extra mages or bound spirits. One would expect a magician to have a magical lodge already, but if not, I can't imagine that one would need more than a Force 1 Lightning Bolt to set off the explosives, so the lodge materials would actually cost less than the explosives.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.