Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ritual sorcery
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
Hi all,

Did some reading up on ritual sorcery, and I am really digging it from a cool factor point of view. But I have some questions that the search function just can't answer for me.

1. Do you go through all that and only get to cast one spell?

2. Why not just send a spirit of man to the same target and have it cast innate spell? Wouldn't this be similar and faster?

Beyond that I was wondering if I am somehow missing the full potential? If so can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!
Aaron
1. Yes.

2. Sort of. Ritual spellcasting offers some different parameters for targeting, plus the ability to get more dice than the spirit might. And don't even get me started with the scary that a magician with Great Ritual can wreak.
kzt
It's hugely powerful, if you have a group of initiated ritual magicians. See http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18303 for the grossness fully revealed.

In particular http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=563054 and the followups.

It's virtually useless for PCs, unless you use Frank's house rule that allows magicians to team up using ritual magic skill to make a teamwork test on a regular spell in regular time.

GMs tend to be more likely to have teams of ritual mages laying around...
nathanross
QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 5 2008, 07:54 PM) *
It's virtually useless for PCs, unless you use Frank's house rule that allows magicians to team up using ritual magic skill to make a teamwork test on a regular spell in regular time

Ritual Magic is useful if you actually have enough PCs to do it with. I for one have used Ritual tracking to success many a time, and still find it quite useful. Have never needed to nuke someone without looking, so have never used Ritual Spellcasting.
Aaron
I posted this a while back. It might offer some use for the skill.
Abbandon
And of course street magic offers you even more options on how to target people.
nathanross
QUOTE (Aaron @ Mar 5 2008, 11:47 PM) *
I posted this a while back. It might offer some use for the skill.

It is a cute use of Ritual Magic. Unfortunately, the supplies required, the number of mages, bound spirits, etc. make this cost prohibitive. It is an idea, though personally, Ill stick to remote detonators.
Aaron
QUOTE (nathanross @ Mar 6 2008, 02:23 AM) *
It is a cute use of Ritual Magic. Unfortunately, the supplies required, the number of mages, bound spirits, etc. make this cost prohibitive. It is an idea, though personally, Ill stick to remote detonators.

Actually, unless I'm reading the rules wrong, you don't need extra mages or bound spirits. One would expect a magician to have a magical lodge already, but if not, I can't imagine that one would need more than a Force 1 Lightning Bolt to set off the explosives, so the lodge materials would actually cost less than the explosives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012