IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning Stimulus Nanotech at character creation, Headscratcher situation; help requested
bibliophile20
post Mar 10 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

Alright, so question first, then the background:

Would any of the GMs in the audience allow a character with the Learning Stimulus Neural Amplifier nanotech that has been purchased at character creation to have the effect of the nanotech be used, i.e. have the BP costs for language and knowledge skills be reduced by the nanoware's rating?

Now, as for the background:

I'm in the midst of building pregens for the convention at the end of the month. One of the characters I'm building is one that I've had in mind for a while: TB-9, short for TestBed-9, a metahuman nanotech testbed that escaped the lab and made it to the shadows. He has the Wild Card Nanoware Prototype and Gene Freak qualities and is the team's rigger/hacker. So, when I was in the midst of building him, I came up against the issue that prompted this post; do I give him a discount on knowledge and language skills due to his nanoware or not? If I don't, then the character background is weakened, but if I do, then the character is edging too close to munchkin territory.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Mar 10 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

I believe that technological implants come after the language/knowledge skills are built, and after the points for knowledge skills are calculated from INT + LOG.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 10 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

In the same way that the Cerebral Booster's increase to Logic does not give you more Knowledge Skill Points, the Learning Stimuli Nanoware should also not grant it's benefit at chargen.

+Quote Post
Negalith
post Mar 10 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,032

Character build order….
Attributes
Skills
Gear / Augmentation

So… no

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Mar 10 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Canon Answer is No.

Is there a RP reason why he should have lots of knowledge skills? Was he plugged into the matrix during his testing? Did they feed him a whole bunch of infosofts and give him VR lectures? If there's no character development reason why he would be a walking encyclopedia, then no. But if he is, then why not. Just houserule out of it. Shadowrun devs almost encourage you to houserule.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Mar 10 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

By RAW no way. I'd actually let it fly at my table because no one ever every buys knowledge with karma even with the reduction. You might as well let it do it's thing.

That said If I start a new game, or we all have to re-roll at the same time, I'm going to be using Frank's rule set because it's well better. So it won't really matter.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 10 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Alright, thanks for the replies, everyone. It just seemed like a bit of a stickler to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.