Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Mar 14 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Creating a god with his own hands

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,364

any move towards more wireless is not a good thing. security is a joke.

+Quote Post
fatal2ty
post Mar 14 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,214

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Mar 14 2008, 05:39 PM) *
any move towards more wireless is not a good thing. security is a joke.

not if you restrict access to specific MAC addresses, unless the hacker has direct access to you router you won't have too many problems, but encryption-wise, yes, not hard to crack if you have some idea of what your doing

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Mar 14 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Mac Addresses Can Be Spoofed

I don't want anything having to do with public safety to be wireless.

+Quote Post
fatal2ty
post Mar 14 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 12,214

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Mar 14 2008, 05:52 PM) *
Mac Addresses Can Be Spoofed

I don't want anything having to do with public safety to be wireless.

but if you don't know the MAC addresses that are allowed on the network, your gonna be spending a lot of time brute forcing your way in. With encryption you don't really even need the key anymore.

Not saying its completely secure, just saying its better than nothing, and in 95% of cases, your fine.

But yes, Public facilities and important information should only be available through wired networks

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 14 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Actually I'm far less worried about public safety--in fact, that's a perfect example of something you should have a multiply-redundant mesh network for--and far more worried about privacy and identity theft. For that reason I never give out my credit card information over a wireless network, be that cellphone, computer, cordless phone, saying it aloud when in a crowded place like a bank or store, etc.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Mar 15 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (fatal2ty @ Mar 14 2008, 04:04 PM) *
but if you don't know the MAC addresses that are allowed on the network, your gonna be spending a lot of time brute forcing your way in. With encryption you don't really even need the key anymore.

Not saying its completely secure, just saying its better than nothing, and in 95% of cases, your fine.

But yes, Public facilities and important information should only be available through wired networks

but you can find out easily what mac addys ARE allowed. you sit there and you listen for packet exchange. boom. good MAC numbers.

Actually I'm far less worried about public safety--in fact, that's a perfect example of something you should have a multiply-redundant mesh network for--and far more worried about privacy and identity theft. For that reason I never give out my credit card information over a wireless network, be that cellphone, computer, cordless phone, saying it aloud when in a crowded place like a bank or store, etc.

let me introduce you to the act of SWATting(LINK)

No Public service over current IP standards. they are riddled with holes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.