Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: one step closer to real life matrix?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fix-it
any move towards more wireless is not a good thing. security is a joke.
fatal2ty
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Mar 14 2008, 05:39 PM) *
any move towards more wireless is not a good thing. security is a joke.

not if you restrict access to specific MAC addresses, unless the hacker has direct access to you router you won't have too many problems, but encryption-wise, yes, not hard to crack if you have some idea of what your doing
Fix-it
Mac Addresses Can Be Spoofed

I don't want anything having to do with public safety to be wireless.
fatal2ty
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Mar 14 2008, 05:52 PM) *
Mac Addresses Can Be Spoofed

I don't want anything having to do with public safety to be wireless.

but if you don't know the MAC addresses that are allowed on the network, your gonna be spending a lot of time brute forcing your way in. With encryption you don't really even need the key anymore.

Not saying its completely secure, just saying its better than nothing, and in 95% of cases, your fine.

But yes, Public facilities and important information should only be available through wired networks
Eyeless Blond
Actually I'm far less worried about public safety--in fact, that's a perfect example of something you should have a multiply-redundant mesh network for--and far more worried about privacy and identity theft. For that reason I never give out my credit card information over a wireless network, be that cellphone, computer, cordless phone, saying it aloud when in a crowded place like a bank or store, etc.
Fix-it
QUOTE (fatal2ty @ Mar 14 2008, 04:04 PM) *
but if you don't know the MAC addresses that are allowed on the network, your gonna be spending a lot of time brute forcing your way in. With encryption you don't really even need the key anymore.

Not saying its completely secure, just saying its better than nothing, and in 95% of cases, your fine.

But yes, Public facilities and important information should only be available through wired networks

but you can find out easily what mac addys ARE allowed. you sit there and you listen for packet exchange. boom. good MAC numbers.

Actually I'm far less worried about public safety--in fact, that's a perfect example of something you should have a multiply-redundant mesh network for--and far more worried about privacy and identity theft. For that reason I never give out my credit card information over a wireless network, be that cellphone, computer, cordless phone, saying it aloud when in a crowded place like a bank or store, etc.

let me introduce you to the act of SWATting(LINK)

No Public service over current IP standards. they are riddled with holes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012