Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home much ammo do you carry on a run?
Snow_Fox
post Mar 22 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

I know the rules say how much weight a runner can carry but how much do you carry. I was thinking about bulk.

Look at a pic of someone in WW2 , a german with an MP40 or A GI with a Thompson and they can carry maybe 4 extra clips, but they make a BIG bulky packet on their belt. Westerns show bullets in loops around the belt. Shot gun shells can similarly be threaded into a belt loop but this are pretty obvious.

Personally in RL and if you see Bruce Willis in Die Hard with a hand gun a clip can usually carry 2 more clips on the holster or a belt pouch. That means mabe 30 rounds in RL or 45 on a Predator/Manhunter. Do you load that way or jamb clips in your pcokets or what?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 22 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

I spent too much running around in the military, so I tend to have more ammo.

For a pistol, at least I spare mag, typically two on a belt carrier. If I'm carrying a long arm I'm carrying more ammo. At least two full mags in a pocket, typically 4 plus some goodies in a man purse. Unless we are loaded out, then >8 mags plus grenades on the nylon, frame charges plus more demo and ammo in the pack, plus a pistol and two spare mags.

That being said, reloading in SR games is unusual.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

For not-obvious work, my average character (if I have such a thing) carries a handgun and either one or two spare mags, depending on if they've also got a knife or other back-up weapon.

For a run-run, where we're all pretty sure the shit's hitting the fan? I'm a big dummy who's worried about nonsense like "realistic combat loads," so I fall back to a good 6-8 spare magazines for my rifle/submachinegun...despite only ever having to reload because a magazine was empty -- ever, in all my time playing Shadowrun, and almost always Adepts or Sammies -- one time (and even that was just because I used suppressive fire several actions in a row).

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 22 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Yeah, honestly, I've made pistol wielding non-combatant characters that only own something like 50-60 rounds of ammunition total to begin with. Shadowrun simply doesn't have a terribly high rate of fire. Not that I'm complaining-- chewing through big bricks of ammo tends to get fussy and it's not something I enjoy dealing with too often. I carry multiple clips of ammo on my characters, but really only to take advantage of the various ammo types.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 22 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

On person, usually some three to five mags primary weapon (one loaded, the rest reserve, usually a mix of gel and live - often Ex-Explosive or anti-armour, rather than slug), and two for the secondary (one loaded, one reserve; one gel, one live). Of the primary's reserve two worn in a combat vest in slings, usually, with the secondary's mag in a belt pouch, the rest in a backpack's side bags or a carrier bag, as deemed appropriate for where the run goes down. Grenades, if present (anything other than flash or FlashPak would be highly unusual for my main character) on the vest, too.

Off the job, it's usually a taser gun (Pulsar) with reserve arrows in a jacket pocket or purse (if appropriate). Tasers are pretty effective weapons in SR3, and perfectly legal on top of that.

Other than that, mission-specific weapons and, if playing a relevant character, disposable fetishes on belts or in pockets and vehicle weapons ammuntion in the vehicle as deemed appropriate.

In my SR games, reloading happens quite often, especially if going in somewhere the hard way where a number of enemies are holed up (and you use burst fire weapons).

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Mar 22 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Casual Meetings? Pistols 3 Mags, SMGs 3 Mags
Unknown Meetings Pistols 5 Mags, SMGs 5 Mags, ARs 8 Mags, Grenades 2 Smoke, 2 Flash Bang, 2 Flash Pak
Combat Run Pistols 6 Mags, SMGs 6 Mags, AR 10 Mags, Grenades 2 Smoke, 2 Flash Bang, 2 Flash Pak, 4 HE

"Better to have too much ammunition than too little ammunition."5th Marine Sargent at Khe Sanh, later in the USN, on board one of my ships.

WMS

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 22 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

on a RUN?
i'll mention now once again, that i am usually playing the troll cyber/bio tank with included tank like fire-power both on distance and in close combat, so . .
1 Savalette loaded with Gel-Rounds with Silencer and 5 spare-clips with different kinds of ammo(exex, flechette, gel)(concealable holster under left shoulder)
1 loaded Ares Viper sliver gun with under barrell weight and 2 spare clips,(concealable Holster under right shoulder)
1 loaded Defiance Super-Shock with 4 more taser darts(concealable holster/slide on left fore-arm)
1 Dart-Pistol loaded with Gamma-Scopolamine and 2 spare clips with differend kinds of poison filled darts(concealable holster/slide on right forearm)
if i really expect trouble
1 loaded Franchi Spas-22 with Gel-Rounds loaded in the beginning and 10 slugs and 10 flechette rounds(strapped to the back in a Sling)
1 Ruger Super Warhawk loaded with Gel-Rounds and 2x6-bullet quickloaders with ex-ex bullets(concealable holster on the lower back)
1 loaded Assault-Rifle or LMG with different kinds of Ammo(strapped to the back in a sling)
Add to that some grenades, mostly one each of the usual kinds, then come the close combat-weapons including shock-glove(left hand) and hardliner glove(right hand), an telescoping staff(in the back of my long coat), an extendable baton(strapped to one leg), a whip(used as a belt)[maybe mono-whip NOT USED AS A BELT some time] and an assortment of knives that can either be used in hand to hand or be thrown(all over the body)
i have not yet had to reload one of those weapons . . i mostly just switch to other weapon when one happens to be empty *g*

but then again, i am the more or less typical combat munchkin who tries to keep the sneaky adept, the decker and the high charisma bitch alive by dealing/taking gross ammounts of damage once somebody fucked up and i don't have to keep silent anymore ^^

+Quote Post
BetaFlame
post Mar 22 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,010

For each gun:

One clip loaded, two clips spare. Ammo depends on what we are up too. Plus a Stun Baton/Knife. Stun Baton on low Str chars

+Quote Post
Kyleigh Wester
post Mar 22 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 12,356

Being the Decker I only keep about one reload for my main weapon, which is bad because it's an ultra heavy pistol/revolver with only three shots. When my character gets in a fight he relies on things like smoke grenades, flash packs, distance, and strategy. However, his main roles are the medic/decker/face so if he actually has to fight generally something went wrong.

(On a side note, as a little non-cannon experiment we had him fight one of our pure fighters. He won simply because of superior strategy. People overlook just how important thinking is sometimes in a run, I see that happen with a lot of fighters.)

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Mar 22 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

Pistol:
1 clip loaded, two spare clips, either as counterweight in a shoulder holster or on a belt.

Rifle:
1 clip loaded (if possible with 2 more clipped to the clip), and 3 to 6 spare clips in 2 ammo pouches.
(Like we carried ammo in the army)

+Quote Post
Spike
post Mar 22 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

Usually my characters OWN thousands of rounds of ammo and many many guns.

However, what I bring on a run is typically the 'main gun', and because I love John Woo with all my fanboy doe-eyed devotions, that's sometimes 'two pistols'... well, often. And generally something 'small' as a backup... no more.

And maybe 100-200 rounds of ammo. Depending on the 'gun' and the Run.

If I need more I try to set up a 'forward logistics base' (the team's car works good) and load up extra guns and ammo there, close enough to get to if things head south, but ya ain't trying to carry a damn arsenal around.

Oh, and if I got 'em, I usually pocket a couple of grenades. Nothing says 'bye bye emergency' like tossing a frag down the hall...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 22 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Heh.

I haven't played SR since I joined the Army, which now makes me think about how much I would put on a character.

Sidearm: 4 mags + 1 loaded
Primary weapon: 6 - 8 mags + 1 loaded.

Anything else is mission-specific:
Heavy firepower: 203/M-79 duty: 6 shells + 6 special loads
Demolitions: C-4 / C - 12: 4 - 8 kilos
Sniper: 4 mags + 1 loaded

I was always the gear rat of the crew, so I packed the medical supplies, backup toolkit, commo, 50 meters of rope and various stuff. The secondary supplies were always humped in a quick-release drop bag.

If I need to just put rounds into an area, I could usually count on finding rifles lying around after the first two or three rounds of combat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

-Siege

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Mar 22 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I used to work in law enforcement, and packed a glock (16 rounds in it) and two extra clips (another 30 for a total of 46).

This fit on my duty belt pretty easily so I picture a shadowrunner as having maybe 4 extra pistol clips, and more for smgs and bulletburners...

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Mar 22 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Well, depends on character, but current mad scientist creation:

Predator(with a clip each of regular, gel, and APDS. Gel is loaded first usually; the AP comes out if things get real nasty or heavy armor is involved). Silenced and in a concealable holster.
Shotgun or SMG(shotgun ill take a box of fletchette for some filling the room action if needed, and some loads already in there of something. SMG a clip each also of regular, gel, and AP. Again, gel is loaded first typically.) Sound supresser.
Flash-bang or two. He lacks thrown weapons atm but his 8 agility is enough for him to default to roll one down the hall usually.
His sword in his back and survival knife on his boot
His four limbs, a good Strength rating, steel-reinforced boots and bone lacing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Besides other important odds and ends(commlink, subvocal mic, armor jacket, whatever else is needed), that's about it. Now, keep in mind this is for a ''we really have to keep this quiet and there isn't much force'', then again, guns aren't my guy's main things anyway, so he keeps enough should his sword or unarmed combat not be enough(and it usually is.)

Now, tough run? Tack on and extra clip of each type for the pistol, an extra clip of each type for the SMG or Shotgun and probably his Ruger Super Warhawk(loaded and with a couple of other loads with it.) In an underarm holster. A couple of flash-bangs in the pocket as well.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 22 2008, 12:57 PM) *
Look at a pic of someone in WW2 , a german with an MP40 or A GI with a Thompson and they can carry maybe 4 extra clips, but they make a BIG bulky packet on their belt. Westerns show bullets in loops around the belt. Shot gun shells can similarly be threaded into a belt loop but this are pretty obvious.

Look closer. Minimum loadout was frequently six mags on a harness, frequently more in other pockets plus whatever reserve in the ruck. 20 round Thompson mags do not last particularly long.

Of course, Shadowrun loadouts are another matter. I'm pretty obsessive about realistic combat loads, but, like Critias, can't say it's ever mattered. That's SR for you.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 22 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 22 2008, 11:57 AM) *
I know the rules say how much weight a runner can carry but how much do you carry. I was thinking about bulk.

Personally in RL and if you see Bruce Willis in Die Hard with a hand gun a clip can usually carry 2 more clips on the holster or a belt pouch. That means mabe 30 rounds in RL or 45 on a Predator/Manhunter. Do you load that way or jamb clips in your pcokets or what?

I usually load my characters with 210 rounds of ammunition for their primary firearm as I understand that's just a standard practice. However in my experience that's always been signifcantly more than what other players give to their characters to take on a mission.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Mar 22 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

You are never going to come out the other side of a gunfight saying to yourself, "I brought too many bullets."

With my real life concealed carry permit, I routinely carry 29 rounds of .45 ACP.

In SR, where the rules are generous concerning how easily gear is carried, there's no reason not to carry lots and lots.

I refer you to the Auxilia Mk. III, ARS 121. A tracked drone, vehicle armor 12, with nothing but room for ammunition onboard. Program it to back slowly toward the enemy while you crouch behind it, laying down covering fire and reloading from its bottomless cargo bin.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Mar 22 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

my mage has been carrying a Predator III around for quite awhile and hasn't fire a shot. hes still carrying the 2 clips of SnS and 2 clips APDS he picked up at chargen. the only time he fired a weapon ,it was an assault rifle he used to bring down a WASP. (of course the troll with the LMG had already punched quite a few holes in it to start with)

The last time I ran my orK sammie he was carrying 50 rnds for the CMDT, 3 clips each for the 2 Predators, 4 flash bang grenades, 4 H-E grenades, 4 thermal smoke, 3 clips for the Ingram smart gun, 3 combat knives, 2 boot knives.

I usually try to gauge just what may be needed and then add an extra clip or two of the real nasty stuff, cause if your dipping into your back up ammo, then the feces has obviously hit the rotary oscillator. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Mar 22 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

usualy 4 extra clips, and 4-6 grenades. for guns with low rates of fire or those w/o clip loaders then ~20 extra rounds.

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Mar 22 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

It's been a LONG time since I've had a character that carried more than 1 spare clip. I eventually just realized that shadowrunners aren't the military. If we were going into a typical combat operation, sure, I'd carry more ammo. But I'd also want the proper training, a squad, etc. On most runs, it seems having a lot of ammo is just a temptation to stick around in a fight longer than you should, when you ought to be running away before the Star shows up.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 22 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #21

Dragon

I think the mechanics have something to do with the willingness of runners to fire rounds - the only time I found myself really burning through ammo was when my GM at the time experimented with "suppressive fire" rules.

Otherwise, engagements tend to be dry affairs with specific numbers and dice and (at the time) TNs.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 22 2008, 04:44 PM) *
I usually load my characters with 210 rounds of ammunition for their primary firearm as I understand that's just a standard practice. However in my experience that's always been signifcantly more than what other players give to their characters to take on a mission.

Standard practice for whom? SWAT and similar police units move fast and light. On the other hand, standard infantry loadout is 8-12 mags. If you're a small unit with no support of any kind, you should do whatever you can to avoid a standup fight, but you should still probably be carrying enough ammunition for a prolonged fight if you have no alternative unless there's a mission specific purpose that requires very light loadouts.

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Mar 22 2008, 05:07 PM) *
With my real life concealed carry permit, I routinely carry 29 rounds of .45 ACP.

Man, that is excessive. Pretty much any real life situation where you need 29 rounds is a real life situation where you need a whole lot more than 29 rounds.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 23 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #23

Dragon

Actually, that's one mag loaded + 1 round in the chamber and three magazines stowed (assuming 7 round capacity).

Off the top of my head, that's only one mag more than most officers I've seen carry.

Of course, I don't routinely carry personal weapons, so your mileage may vary.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 23 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #24

Runner

My general feeling is that if you live in a developed nation, the odds of truly needing more than one mag in any possible self defense scenario is extremely low. An extra mag for whatever is not an unreasonable precaution; but if you need three mags, you need more than three mags.

Then again, I've been in some very, very dangerous places and never been armed in my life, so.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Mar 23 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (Arethusa @ Mar 22 2008, 06:55 PM) *
Standard practice for whom? SWAT and similar police units move fast and light. On the other hand, standard infantry loadout is 8-12 mags. If you're a small unit with no support of any kind, you should do whatever you can to avoid a standup fight, but you should still probably be carrying enough ammunition for a prolonged fight if you have no alternative unless there's a mission specific purpose that requires very light loadouts.

Man, that is excessive. Pretty much any real life situation where you need 29 rounds is a real life situation where you need a whole lot more than 29 rounds.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) From most of the CHL permit holders that I know that is about average. I know of several that have "on hand" more than one weapon when traveling. By traveling I mean going to and from work place ie normal day to day travel.

Again better to have too many bullets than too few.

WMS

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.