Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electronics Warfare, Using the skill?
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 31 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Other than the Sniffer and Scan programs, are there any other time you actually roll the Electronic Warfare skill? Is there any time when you would roll any of the other EW specializations, ever?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Theobald
post Mar 31 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,813

The Decrypt and Encrypt programs use that skill, too. Those are important to hack into encrypted transmissions and to prevent yours from being decrypted.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 31 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Decker on the Threshold

Encrypt doesn't have a test, and Decrypt is purely automated (Decrypt + Response, no human skill/attribute used at all.) Same with jamming.

I don't know what the "Communications" or "Sensor Operations" specializations for Electronic Warfare are supposed to do, but it doesn't look like they ever actually factor into anything either. The only place so far I've seen EW used is for the Scan and Sniffer programs. Am I missing something, or is that all there is?

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Mar 31 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Use the specialties to determine how one might use the skill.
  • Communications - Using and understanding communications equipment, establishing communications procedures for varying circumstances, analysing communication problems, intercepting enemy communications
  • Sensor Usage - Using and understanding sensors and their limitations, efficient deployment of sensor networks, analysing sensor data, exploiting sensor limitations
  • Encryption - Understanding encryption purposes, distinguishing encrypted transmissions from line noise, producing effective encryption procedures, subverting encryption schemes
  • Jamming - Using and understanding jamming equipment, setting up jamming equipment properly

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Mar 31 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I allow people to roll EW to enhance jamming / ECCM, make Encryption tougher, improve sensors use plus the scan /sniff thing which is fairly commonplace in a wireless world.

Cheers

Max

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Mar 31 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

@EB
Here is a link to some house rules and ideas on using Electronic Warfare, my part is unfinished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) RL has been interesting of late.
Link
WMS

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 31 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Decker on the Threshold

So I was right, and the actual book has no other uses for EW?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 1 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

It appears that the book mentions using communications equipment as an Electronic Warfare + Logic Test.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.