IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feral cities speculations, What cities could/should be covered in the book?
Blue eyes
post Apr 1 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,516

Its still months away I know, but I just wanted to hear which cities u guys think should/could be mentioned in the book?

According to the last chat: "Feral Cities will be a location book, covering cities that can barely maintain themselves, much less the law".

In the last Shadowrun chat, it was indicated by one of the writers, sorry I forgot the name, that Chicago will been one of the cities covered.

Any other suggestions?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 1 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Other than Chicago, Berlin would be my next best guess.

+Quote Post
Blue eyes
post Apr 1 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Maybe the Gemito sprawl in nothern Italian confederation, basically a barrens the size of a small country.

GeMiTo: The Special Administrative Zone of Genoa-Milan-Turin.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Apr 1 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Chicago might be a good start, yep.

I concur about GeMiTo

I would add some African (more than one to choose, unfortunately) and also some South American town (I would say Ciudad del Este in Paraguay)

Teheran comes to my mind... and I still have to come up with some South Asian city;

Also, I am not updated on the Polish situation, but a 2070 Sarajevoish place would be an interesting addition to the book. Wait, how about Sarajevo?

I also believe there is a city who has taken the toll from the Russia-Siberia conflict. I would choose something like that to have one snowy "Stalingrad"place in the book too.

just my 2Y

Cheers!

Max

+Quote Post
Blue eyes
post Apr 1 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

I assume we will get alot of focus on 2 cities in the book, and brief descriptions of other cities, just like in Runner Havens and Corporate enclaves...

Hopefully we will get a city from each continent.

Teheran would be awesome idd Max!

Looking forward to find out which South american city will be covered.

+Quote Post
Dr. John Desmond
post Apr 1 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 15,756

Bogota. On the border between Atzalan and Amazonia. Nestled in the mountains. Currently one of the most densely populated cities in the world. Colombia has histories rich both with the native population and since the Spanish came to town. It is a city that has a bad reputation (rightly so in the past), but has also been on the paths of major changes in security and freedom for fear. To top it all off Colombia woman are GORGEOUS!!!!

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Apr 1 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 4,923

How about Aberdeen in Scotland, left to the Fringe Toxic Zone on one side and the encroaching Scottish Wild Lands on the other,
a small bit of info was given on it in Cyberpirates but nothing else exists.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 1 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Let me put everybody's curiosity to rest. I've read the proposal document, so I can tell you what to expect.

• Chicago. Yeah, you knew it. But did you know about the ghoul sect funded by Humanis that is practicing cybermancy?
  • Los Angeles. Or rather under it. The Deep Lacuna turns out to be a huge city.
  • Arlington, Virginia. Dunkelzahn's rift starts moving, and now it's spewing out zombie dragons.
  • Antarctica. There's a "Land of the Lost" jungle there, with dinosaurs and a sneak-peek at the new critter-building system. AH is personally writing this one up.
  • Heidenheim an der Brenz. A town where I went to Gymnasium for a bit. Good hot dogs. Okay, I might be kidding about this one.
  • Lisboa. There's a wild madman flitting about the place, mostly hiding, but sometimes coming out and casting strange spells that change the world.
  • Indianapolis. Almost a century of Gen Cons couldn't possibly leave a place unscathed.

Any questions?

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Apr 1 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 08:41 AM) *
Indianapolis. Almost a century of Gen Cons couldn't possibly leave a place unscathed.

Any questions?

I have a mental picture of 50 thousand overweight socially awkward zombies roaming Indianapolis after GenCon 2045, when the "Necromancer: The Creepening" LARP turned out to be a little less RP and a little more LA then the designers planned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 1 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It's not nice to dangle the cow in front of the piranhas, Aaron.

+Quote Post
Phantastik
post Apr 1 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 15,495

Bangkok, definitely - it's kind of shadowrunnish even now, and with its size and urban density and with its "you can buy anything, if you can afford it" quality, it's perfect.

Lagos would be the perfect candidate among African cities. Nowadays its a hypercorrupt banking and financial center, and I can see that expanding into data havens/arms dealing in Shadowrun; plus, inclusion of some kind of major (probably government-involved) Nigerian organized crime set-up.

Finally, the Khyber Pass between Pakistan and Afganistan is one of the most lawless parts of the world today, ruled by local warlords, opium profits and Russian arms dealers, and I expect it only to get worse as the century wends on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
HullBreach
post Apr 1 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,055

I'd kinda like to see Tampa or Miami covered. Both are fairly major port cities, and Tampa would be a hot-spot for smuggling into and out of the CAS. Also, I've always thought that the awakened everglades would make for some seriously spooky settings, especially with all of the old Indian stuff out there in some places.

+Quote Post
Dr. John Desmond
post Apr 1 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 15,756

QUOTE (HullBreach @ Apr 1 2008, 08:14 AM) *
the awakened everglades

Why does this make me giddy in a way that I can't describe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
HullBreach
post Apr 1 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,055

QUOTE (Dr. John Desmond @ Apr 1 2008, 08:39 AM) *
Why does this make me giddy in a way that I can't describe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I dunno, I think its got tons of potential though. Think of the possibillities just in terms of specialized smuggling craft moving through the swamps between the CAS and the Caribbian League.

Have the swamps overgrow some of the highways and such, and you could get some small towns and such that are now totally off-the-grid in terms of transport and infrastructure.

Could make for a pretty damn cool campaign setting.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 1 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 1 2008, 07:52 AM) *

You're just jealous that I scooped you. And revealed to the world your dinosaur fetish.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 1 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #16

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Keep in mind today's date. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Apr 1 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 09:55 AM) *
You're just jealous that I scooped you. And revealed to the world your dinosaur fetish.

There will be dinosaurs in Feral Cities. Cute little pink ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 1 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 1 2008, 03:29 PM) *
There will be dinosaurs in Feral Cities. Cute little pink ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I believe we may have dropped them in editing—whoever (no fingerpointing please) wrote that section went on and on about the irridescent, pink scales and big anime eyes and it was just getting too cutesy. I kept the neon anacondas and the Mongolian werehorses in the other secondary locations though.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 1 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 185

As a teaser: two thirds of the Feral Cities in the book have been mentioned at one point or another in this thread. The ones that haven't are either surprises, previously untouched locations, or both.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 2 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

phenom pen? cambodia
whatever city is around Lake Bikhal? in russia.
the capitol of the ghoul city in africa

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 2 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Paris?

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 2 2008, 03:26 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 07:41 AM) *
Let me put everybody's curiosity to rest. I've read the proposal document, so I can tell you what to expect.

• Chicago. Yeah, you knew it. But did you know about the ghoul sect funded by Humanis that is practicing cybermancy?
  • Arlington, Virginia. Dunkelzahn's rift starts moving, and now it's spewing out zombie dragons.
  • Antarctica. There's a "Land of the Lost" jungle there, with dinosaurs and a sneak-peek at the new critter-building system. AH is personally writing this one up.
  • Heidenheim an der Brenz. A town where I went to Gymnasium for a bit. Good hot dogs. Okay, I might be kidding about this one.
  • Lisboa. There's a wild madman flitting about the place, mostly hiding, but sometimes coming out and casting strange spells that change the world.
  • Indianapolis. Almost a century of Gen Cons couldn't possibly leave a place unscathed.

Any questions?

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 1 2008, 07:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 2 2008, 04:18 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 08:41 AM) *

Any questions?

1. Why would Humanis fund Ghouls?
  2. Why wasn't Deep Lacuna elaborated more in Corporate Enclaves where it should have been (I paid hard cash for that!)
  3. How the hell are we supposed to deal with Zombie Dragons? The meaty ones are already hard enough to deal with.
  4. Jurasic Park on Antarctica? Seriously? Sure they couldn't survive 65,000,000 years ago, but that is really because they are magical and couldn't survive during the mana downcycle. Come on!

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Apr 2 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,552

I bet the main cities are Chicago (didn't they all but confirm it the chat?) and Berlin. As for the other cities, I have no clue, and frankly, don't care either. The secondary cities are described too shortly for them to be of any value as settings, for me personally. But they have been a nice read however.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 2 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Dr. John Desmon=> The Everglades are already Awakened enough for me, thank you. Just what I need... Blood spirit mosquitoes that are only slightly larger than they are today.

Yick.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.