Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feral cities speculations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blue eyes
Its still months away I know, but I just wanted to hear which cities u guys think should/could be mentioned in the book?

According to the last chat: "Feral Cities will be a location book, covering cities that can barely maintain themselves, much less the law".

In the last Shadowrun chat, it was indicated by one of the writers, sorry I forgot the name, that Chicago will been one of the cities covered.

Any other suggestions?

Fortune
Other than Chicago, Berlin would be my next best guess.
Blue eyes
Maybe the Gemito sprawl in nothern Italian confederation, basically a barrens the size of a small country.

GeMiTo: The Special Administrative Zone of Genoa-Milan-Turin.
MaxHunter
Chicago might be a good start, yep.

I concur about GeMiTo

I would add some African (more than one to choose, unfortunately) and also some South American town (I would say Ciudad del Este in Paraguay)

Teheran comes to my mind... and I still have to come up with some South Asian city;

Also, I am not updated on the Polish situation, but a 2070 Sarajevoish place would be an interesting addition to the book. Wait, how about Sarajevo?

I also believe there is a city who has taken the toll from the Russia-Siberia conflict. I would choose something like that to have one snowy "Stalingrad"place in the book too.

just my 2Y

Cheers!

Max

Blue eyes
I assume we will get alot of focus on 2 cities in the book, and brief descriptions of other cities, just like in Runner Havens and Corporate enclaves...

Hopefully we will get a city from each continent.

Teheran would be awesome idd Max!

Looking forward to find out which South american city will be covered.
Dr. John Desmond
Bogota. On the border between Atzalan and Amazonia. Nestled in the mountains. Currently one of the most densely populated cities in the world. Colombia has histories rich both with the native population and since the Spanish came to town. It is a city that has a bad reputation (rightly so in the past), but has also been on the paths of major changes in security and freedom for fear. To top it all off Colombia woman are GORGEOUS!!!!
Sticks
How about Aberdeen in Scotland, left to the Fringe Toxic Zone on one side and the encroaching Scottish Wild Lands on the other,
a small bit of info was given on it in Cyberpirates but nothing else exists.
Aaron
Let me put everybody's curiosity to rest. I've read the proposal document, so I can tell you what to expect.

• Chicago. Yeah, you knew it. But did you know about the ghoul sect funded by Humanis that is practicing cybermancy?
  • Los Angeles. Or rather under it. The Deep Lacuna turns out to be a huge city.
  • Arlington, Virginia. Dunkelzahn's rift starts moving, and now it's spewing out zombie dragons.
  • Antarctica. There's a "Land of the Lost" jungle there, with dinosaurs and a sneak-peek at the new critter-building system. AH is personally writing this one up.
  • Heidenheim an der Brenz. A town where I went to Gymnasium for a bit. Good hot dogs. Okay, I might be kidding about this one.
  • Lisboa. There's a wild madman flitting about the place, mostly hiding, but sometimes coming out and casting strange spells that change the world.
  • Indianapolis. Almost a century of Gen Cons couldn't possibly leave a place unscathed.

Any questions?
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 08:41 AM) *
Indianapolis. Almost a century of Gen Cons couldn't possibly leave a place unscathed.

Any questions?

I have a mental picture of 50 thousand overweight socially awkward zombies roaming Indianapolis after GenCon 2045, when the "Necromancer: The Creepening" LARP turned out to be a little less RP and a little more LA then the designers planned. smile.gif
Ancient History
It's not nice to dangle the cow in front of the piranhas, Aaron.
Phantastik
Bangkok, definitely - it's kind of shadowrunnish even now, and with its size and urban density and with its "you can buy anything, if you can afford it" quality, it's perfect.

Lagos would be the perfect candidate among African cities. Nowadays its a hypercorrupt banking and financial center, and I can see that expanding into data havens/arms dealing in Shadowrun; plus, inclusion of some kind of major (probably government-involved) Nigerian organized crime set-up.

Finally, the Khyber Pass between Pakistan and Afganistan is one of the most lawless parts of the world today, ruled by local warlords, opium profits and Russian arms dealers, and I expect it only to get worse as the century wends on wink.gif
HullBreach
I'd kinda like to see Tampa or Miami covered. Both are fairly major port cities, and Tampa would be a hot-spot for smuggling into and out of the CAS. Also, I've always thought that the awakened everglades would make for some seriously spooky settings, especially with all of the old Indian stuff out there in some places.
Dr. John Desmond
QUOTE (HullBreach @ Apr 1 2008, 08:14 AM) *
the awakened everglades

Why does this make me giddy in a way that I can't describe? grinbig.gif
HullBreach
QUOTE (Dr. John Desmond @ Apr 1 2008, 08:39 AM) *
Why does this make me giddy in a way that I can't describe? grinbig.gif

I dunno, I think its got tons of potential though. Think of the possibillities just in terms of specialized smuggling craft moving through the swamps between the CAS and the Caribbian League.

Have the swamps overgrow some of the highways and such, and you could get some small towns and such that are now totally off-the-grid in terms of transport and infrastructure.

Could make for a pretty damn cool campaign setting.
Aaron
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 1 2008, 07:52 AM) *

You're just jealous that I scooped you. And revealed to the world your dinosaur fetish.
DireRadiant
Keep in mind today's date. smile.gif
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 09:55 AM) *
You're just jealous that I scooped you. And revealed to the world your dinosaur fetish.

There will be dinosaurs in Feral Cities. Cute little pink ones. nyahnyah.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 1 2008, 03:29 PM) *
There will be dinosaurs in Feral Cities. Cute little pink ones. nyahnyah.gif

I believe we may have dropped them in editing—whoever (no fingerpointing please) wrote that section went on and on about the irridescent, pink scales and big anime eyes and it was just getting too cutesy. I kept the neon anacondas and the Mongolian werehorses in the other secondary locations though.
Synner
As a teaser: two thirds of the Feral Cities in the book have been mentioned at one point or another in this thread. The ones that haven't are either surprises, previously untouched locations, or both.
fool
phenom pen? cambodia
whatever city is around Lake Bikhal? in russia.
the capitol of the ghoul city in africa
Fortune
Paris?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 07:41 AM) *
Let me put everybody's curiosity to rest. I've read the proposal document, so I can tell you what to expect.

• Chicago. Yeah, you knew it. But did you know about the ghoul sect funded by Humanis that is practicing cybermancy?
  • Arlington, Virginia. Dunkelzahn's rift starts moving, and now it's spewing out zombie dragons.
  • Antarctica. There's a "Land of the Lost" jungle there, with dinosaurs and a sneak-peek at the new critter-building system. AH is personally writing this one up.
  • Heidenheim an der Brenz. A town where I went to Gymnasium for a bit. Good hot dogs. Okay, I might be kidding about this one.
  • Lisboa. There's a wild madman flitting about the place, mostly hiding, but sometimes coming out and casting strange spells that change the world.
  • Indianapolis. Almost a century of Gen Cons couldn't possibly leave a place unscathed.

Any questions?

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 1 2008, 07:52 AM) *

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
nathanross
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 1 2008, 08:41 AM) *

Any questions?

1. Why would Humanis fund Ghouls?
  2. Why wasn't Deep Lacuna elaborated more in Corporate Enclaves where it should have been (I paid hard cash for that!)
  3. How the hell are we supposed to deal with Zombie Dragons? The meaty ones are already hard enough to deal with.
  4. Jurasic Park on Antarctica? Seriously? Sure they couldn't survive 65,000,000 years ago, but that is really because they are magical and couldn't survive during the mana downcycle. Come on!
MITJA3000+
I bet the main cities are Chicago (didn't they all but confirm it the chat?) and Berlin. As for the other cities, I have no clue, and frankly, don't care either. The secondary cities are described too shortly for them to be of any value as settings, for me personally. But they have been a nice read however.
DocTaotsu
Dr. John Desmon=> The Everglades are already Awakened enough for me, thank you. Just what I need... Blood spirit mosquitoes that are only slightly larger than they are today.

Yick.
swirler
i would guess two places I wanted to set games in back during SR1
Antarctica and the moon
both I see as failed arcologies or atleast cut off and possibly abandoned I always liked the ideas of settings that had the people living there not even realizing where they were.

and as far as dinosaurs in the antarctic... what is this X-men?
biggrin.gif
Blue eyes
Thanks for the tease Synner notworthy.gif

Hmm maybe one in Australia.

Anyways lots of great suggestions sofar, but since there wont be room for all our suggestions in Feral Cities, maybe some of them will show up in some of the other location books hinted at in the March chat: Awakened Haunts and Cities of Intrigue. But these will properly not come out before well into next year or the year after that, who knows smile.gif

What I personally really really would like to see tbh is a greater focus on one of the Amazonian cities, like Metropole or Manaus, that would really be great!! But that will properly not happen in Feral Cities, heres hoping for it happening in one of the other books!!!!
Dr. John Desmond
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 2 2008, 01:59 AM) *
Dr. John Desmon=> The Everglades are already Awakened enough for me, thank you. Just what I need... Blood spirit mosquitoes that are only slightly larger than they are today.

Yick.

You mean to tell me that awakened plants and insects crawling everywhere, hidden corp research facilities with guards armed to the T, an inbred family of Toxic 'gator shamman crusing the glades in flatbottom boats looking for fun and company, and the delightful possibilites of malaria does not excite you?
DocTaotsu
In much the same way bleeding out from ebola whilst being violated by a troll in a county prison excites me...

Fuck no.

Creepy ass Everglades.
hermit
Cute place, really. Never seen a 5 meter alligator in it's natural environment before. Pretty dusturbing to have such animals sitting at the roadside though.
HullBreach
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 2 2008, 07:30 AM) *
Cute place, really. Never seen a 5 meter alligator in it's natural environment before. Pretty dusturbing to have such animals sitting at the roadside though.

Never seen one that big, but I did once have to honk and and rev my engine at a 3m one to get him to move out of the roadway so I could continue driving. Gigantic bastard was sunning himself in the middle of a 2-lane road.
hermit
Asphalt heats up and warms the beast from below too. I guess they love that. The animal was about as long as the car I was driving. Might only have been soem 4 meters, but it was ... huge. Well, compared to what I'm used to seeing at the roadside, anyway. Any large animal in Europa has either been eaten or died out to satisfy the Romans' need for quality entertainment.
DocTaotsu
America: We Build Em Big Like That.
Magus
I would defintely love some more information on the entire Carribean League with some focus on Haiti. I cannot get my hands on a copy of CyberPirates so some updated information would be great.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Newark, New Jersey? It's almost a ferral city now and is cut off from NYC by the Hudson River and the frozen swamps of the Meadow Lands. Imagine the fun in the abandoned sports complex around Giant's Stadium and Ellis Island.
HullBreach
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Apr 2 2008, 11:27 AM) *
Newark, New Jersey? It's almost a ferral city now and is cut off from NYC by the Hudson River and the frozen swamps of the Meadow Lands. Imagine the fun in the abandoned sports complex around Giant's Stadium and Ellis Island.

I kinda wonder what the astral is like around ellis island, given the incredible amount of emotion so many attatch to that place.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 1 2008, 11:18 PM) *
  1. Why would Humanis fund Ghouls?
  2. Why wasn't Deep Lacuna elaborated more in Corporate Enclaves where it should have been (I paid hard cash for that!)
  3. How the hell are we supposed to deal with Zombie Dragons? The meaty ones are already hard enough to deal with.
  4. Jurasic Park on Antarctica? Seriously? Sure they couldn't survive 65,000,000 years ago, but that is really because they are magical and couldn't survive during the mana downcycle. Come on!

I can hear you stomping your foot twice in nerd frustration as you type those last two words. Hee!

What I would like to see:

- Chicago
- The African zombie country from Cyberpirates or maybe the region where the Desert Wars take place. Tripoli?
- Kabul or Islamabad
- Gaza
ravensmuse
You know, the more I read around here, the more I realize that I am missing vast spots in my SR history.

Really enjoying these City books guys, very much looking forward to seeing Chicago post-Bugs.
hermit
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Apr 2 2008, 05:27 PM) *

Uhm ... that was covered in one of the Smyth novels ... Into The Night, I think, it was called. I heven have written down the setting info somewhere ... yeah, according to that, it'd propably qualify.

As for Settings I'd like to see:

- Metropole
- Gaza
- [hellhole], Africa
- Calcutta
- Bankok
- Chicago
CircuitBoyBlue
I'd like to see Gaza in an SR book, but I'm not sure I'd like it if they ever included it. It's just one of those things that I think would be almost impossible to pull off well, and if it was pulled off crappily, it could be a disaster. Extrapolating current conflicts into the future can blow up in your face (no pun intended), and a lot of people have really strong feelings on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict (at least in real life, where the players have to live and get along with each other--I have no idea if it's one of those things SR has just hand-waved away with "nobody cares anymore because metahumanity's the only issue anyone gets upset over"). So seeing it handled well would be awesome, but I'd rather see it not handled at all than handled poorly.
Zhan Shi
I don't remember the name of either of these places, but I'd like to see them in Feral Cities.

The first was, I believe, briefly covered in SoE. It was a lawless island, used as a training ground for National Aktion and other assorted nasty people. The second was in...ah, hell, I don't know. It was a city in Africa, and was mentioned in shadow chatter as being the ideal place to dissappear, as well as aquire new SINS, plastic surgery, identities, etc. Other items on my wish list would be the "Pirate City" in Madagascar, or the floating markets mentioned in SoA...y'know, the ones where they served seafood soup that most definitely did NOT contain seafood.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ Apr 2 2008, 01:23 PM) *
I'd like to see Gaza in an SR book, but I'm not sure I'd like it if they ever included it. It's just one of those things that I think would be almost impossible to pull off well, and if it was pulled off crappily, it could be a disaster. Extrapolating current conflicts into the future can blow up in your face (no pun intended), and a lot of people have really strong feelings on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict (at least in real life, where the players have to live and get along with each other--I have no idea if it's one of those things SR has just hand-waved away with "nobody cares anymore because metahumanity's the only issue anyone gets upset over"). So seeing it handled well would be awesome, but I'd rather see it not handled at all than handled poorly.

I thought the brief chapter in Shadows of Asia on Israel was handled pretty well. No reason that it couldn't be updated and developed a little further. I wouldn't want anyone at Catalyst to allow RL events or those who may be sensitive to some subject matters prevented from creating what could be a very cool game setting.
Blue eyes
Would be great to get more info on the middle east indeed.

The plan is to have Feral cities come out after Unwired and Ghost Cartels right?
BetaFlame
I'd love to see more about Egypt and the Middle East in general. I missed a whole mass of stuff from SR3 on all that. I'm thinking of setting up a mummy stealing Shadowrun for a new group wink.gif

Chicago - More bug city is always fun.

Ironically, I'd love to see more about the Deep Lacuna.
HullBreach
QUOTE (BetaFlame @ Apr 4 2008, 12:03 PM) *
I'd love to see more about Egypt and the Middle East in general. I missed a whole mass of stuff from SR3 on all that. I'm thinking of setting up a mummy stealing Shadowrun for a new group wink.gif

Wow, could a Shedim ever turn that run into a complete nightmare!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012