IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Broken CDs, How much damage do they do?
Tanka
post Dec 6 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #1

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

You know what I'm talking about... You got an AOL CD and decided to play frisbee with it. Next you know, it breaks on the door, you go to pick up the pieces, and you end up bleeding for nearly an hour. It also leaves splinters in there, and just plain sucks.

So, what exactly is the damage code for a broken CD?

I'd like to venture (Str +3)L that, if you aren't careful, does the same back to you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Dec 6 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,871

id say str - 1 light.

null agains any armor(trust me it aint going through anything but skin, thats if your lucky......er unlucky)

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 6 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Chrome to the Core

Broken CDs are much sharper than knives, actually. I just did a test by breaking a coasterized RW and taking one of my knives, then trying to cut a piece of paper, then a piece of a mailing box. The CD went through both like it didn't exist, whereas the knife had some problems with the box.

(Str-1)L is too knifish, and CDs are made much differently than knives. When you break a CD, many things happen. The plastic covering (the part that is usually scratched and smudged) is blown apart. The silicon that is inside to help slow down wear and tear of the data is spilled everywhere (which is really fragging hard to clean up). The actual CD that holds the data shatters and creates very jagged edges, and one that is always sharper than most any knife I or any of my friends have come in contact with.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Dec 6 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

okay then... how about (Str)L, double impact armor?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 6 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I'd say it's like Rattan Sticks. Give it a base code of (Str-1)L and then apply the Flechette rules. In other words, it's (Str-1)M against bare flesh, but against armor it's doubled and drops back down to L.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 6 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #6

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

That's ridiculous, really.
A CD cannot make an effective melee weapon unless one has some kind of adept powers (Missile Master, etc). It's a piece of plastic that's only *vaguely* as sharp as a dull knife.

That's like asking for the damage code for a plastic spork.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 6 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Broken CD, mind you. Ever try to pick one up without cutting yourself in some fashion?

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 6 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #8

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

About every week, actually. I work as a tech, and we break a lot of junk CDs that come in the mail.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 7 2003, 12:05 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I gotta agree with Adarael here... I've broken quite a few of them with my bare hands, never hurt myself on them. I mean sure, something with glass-like qualities will be rather sharp when it's broken. But by this logic you ought to make a broken bottle at least (S+4)L, preferably (S+2M) or something. And that's just silly.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Dec 7 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

...and the broken bottle is easier to hold onto. Personally, if one of my players picks up odd items for melee I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt - it fosters creativity in their style. Realistically, my sweatshirt will likely stop a determined CD wielder. :)

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Dec 7 2003, 01:27 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

I don't know about broken CDs, but how about the damage code for frisbee-ing a whole CD at someone. They can hold a pretty impressive amount of speed, and they make a bloody loud clunk when they hit something. (Str)L Stun would be my guess.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2003, 01:50 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I don't know about that. Remember, a Light wound is a fairly big deal in Shadowrun, enough to make a task a fair amount harder; I just don't see a CD doing that kind of damage. Maybe (STR-4)[null], where null is nothing but can be staged to something through large numbers of successes.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 7 2003, 01:53 AM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

Yet, IIRC, paintballs do some amount of Stun. Of course, this leads to the Daria quote...

"Those paintball thingies hurt!"

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2003, 02:01 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Paintballs do what, 4L stun? I find that a bit high, but a lot more reasonable than a CD doing anything above 2L in human hands. Even 2L is high.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 7 2003, 02:04 AM
Post #15

Chrome to the Core

You have to remember staging, too. Your average guy (Bod 3, no armor) is going to bring that down. Now, say he's wearing a lot of clothes, giving him a virtual Impact 1, if the double armor rules is incorporated, that means he has to roll... 2s. Which they'll do almost every time.

Your Bod 1 guy, however, is going to get cut and wind up in pain quite a bit.

Oh, and, while we're at it... Paper cuts! Even your Bod 6 guy winces in pain when he slices his finger open with one of those. (ed) They also tend to sting a lot because your hands are one of the sweatiest parts of your body. Distraction mod, anyone?

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Dec 7 2003, 02:07 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Paintball guns can fire at up to 400 fps, sometimes higher, that can do damage, leave welts, draw blood at close enough range. especially if you shoot a marble or ball bearing.

I have snapped cd's in two with one hand and never cut my self.

although throwing them does hurt. and if you hit someone in the head with it they do bleed pretty good, if thrown hard enough that is. :eek:

i couldnt tell you how much it would hurt, i never winced at paper cuts, i have bad nreves and sens little or no pain in most of my skin, problem is this also means little or no pleasure. :(

+Quote Post
Eindrachen
post Dec 7 2003, 02:20 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 5,802

CDs could, theoretically, do significant damage, but the chances they will should be next to none.

I'd set the damage code to [Str/2] L. I'd venture to guess it's more aerodynamic than a shuriken, so I'd give it a slightly better range; say, base the ranges on Str x2, or Str +3. Make Impact armor the one to use, and if it hits any armor rated 4 or better, the CD shatters (becoming useless for throwing).

Keep the code for melee use, but raise TN to hit someone by +2 (it is definitely not a very wieldy melee weapon); keep the shatter rule.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2003, 02:20 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Ah, but most people aren't going to be wearing enough clothing to provide any impact armor, except maybe in the dead of winter. So we're talking an average of 1.5 successes; one in two times, they're going to sustain a wound bad enough to make a task that a single die has a 50% chance of success on into a task that a single die has a 33% chance of success on.
I just don't see that happening with a CD.
As for paper cuts: yes, they hurt. Do they make EVERYTHING harder to do? I sharpen knives a lot, and I have a casual disregard for my own safety while doing so, so I end up with a lot of cuts on my hands. I can tell you that they rarely interfere, and even then usually only with certain specific tasks that rub the cut the wrong way. No modifiers unless most of the body is covered in them.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 7 2003, 02:22 AM
Post #19

Chrome to the Core

I wear the equivalent of Forearm Guards while outside of my house (Not including work). Does that mean I can stage better than the rest of you guys? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Dec 7 2003, 02:23 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

This just reminds me why I want to make a white collar office-assassin adept. Think of the possibilities: oragami paper knives, CD-ahem-optical chip barrages, skilled shots of pen ink into his enemies' eyes....

+Quote Post
Hero
post Dec 7 2003, 02:24 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

About the paintball thing, the highest velocity I have obtained is 350fps, airsoft guns on the other hand are in the 400fps range. The reason why paintballs hurt as much as they do even when at lower velocities then airsoft guns, is because the large impact area, have an airsoft buddy to back it up that says per round the paintball hurts more then an airsoft pellet. Being shot with a hot marker, hot means above field regulated velocities, hurts like a mothers and is capable of knocking somebody out. I have shot about three people to my knowledge in the balls at ranges no greater then 8-10 feet and they dropped like a sack of bricks, and one of those people I nailed once inside each thigh. Lets just say he was not able to play for 20+ min. So I think the 4L that is applied to paintball markers it well deserved.

And as for the broken CD thing, you don't through broken CDs, you use them to slash and stab people. Throughing a broken CD does not accomplish much unless you get a luck hit in the face and what not, but the lucky hit has to hit with the broken edge of the CD. So I say a broken CD used as a slashing/stabbing tool would do as much damage as a knife, and maybe a special wound modifier for healing because of the shards.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 7 2003, 02:27 AM
Post #22

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (RangerJoe)
This just reminds me why I want to make a white collar office-assassin adept. Think of the possibilities: oragami paper knives, CD-ahem-optical chip barrages, skilled shots of pen ink into his enemies' eyes....

Oh... My... I should kill you now. Props for the hilarity of it.

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Dec 7 2003, 02:32 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Hero)
About the paintball thing, the hightest vilocity I have obtained is 350fps, airsoft guns on the other hand are in the 400fps range. The reason why paintballs hurt as much as they do even when at lower vilocities then airsoft guns, is because the large impact area, have an airsoft buddy to back it up that says per round the paintball hurts more then an airsoft pellet. Being shot with a hot marker, hot means above field regulated vilocities, hurts like a mothers and is capable of knocking somebody out. I have shot about three people to my knowledge in the balls at ranges no greater then 8-10 feet and they dropped like a sack of bricks, and one of those people I nailed once inside each thigh. Lets just say he was not able to play for 20+ min. So I think the 4L that is applied to paintball markers it well deserved.

I had an S.L.68 pump, got it up to 412,
I didnt use it that high unless i was playing in the river bed with my friends. parks test your guns usually, although it doesn't keep some people from jacking the pressure back up during play. I got shot in the balls with at 7 feet, regulation 270fps, i was out of it for half the day, neck shot just as bad, get hit in the ear, jeezus k riste! ahh man that hurts.

i also had one skim my cheek, burned it pretty bad made it bleed, same thing to my arm, i actually have a scar from that one. as well as one on my back from being shot at 3 feet away.

but cd's unless you have adept power missle mastery, its not going to work all that well, your average jacket, sweater, pants whatever is going to deflect that. unless thrown at the head, groin, or neck, maybe one or to other soft things as well.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2003, 03:25 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Even non-thrown they're still just not going to be an effective weapon. Not at all. Not knife-level, not toothpick-level. There's just no way to use it effectively. They're one of the things that if you have it in your hand when a fight starts, you drop it and fight with your bare hand.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 7 2003, 03:27 AM
Post #25

Chrome to the Core

I'd fight with one just to say I did... Of course I have the insane reach of being tall and also being lanky so I can move around hits somehow... But that isn't the point!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.