Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken CDs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanka
You know what I'm talking about... You got an AOL CD and decided to play frisbee with it. Next you know, it breaks on the door, you go to pick up the pieces, and you end up bleeding for nearly an hour. It also leaves splinters in there, and just plain sucks.

So, what exactly is the damage code for a broken CD?

I'd like to venture (Str +3)L that, if you aren't careful, does the same back to you.
BumsofTacoma
id say str - 1 light.

null agains any armor(trust me it aint going through anything but skin, thats if your lucky......er unlucky)

Tanka
Broken CDs are much sharper than knives, actually. I just did a test by breaking a coasterized RW and taking one of my knives, then trying to cut a piece of paper, then a piece of a mailing box. The CD went through both like it didn't exist, whereas the knife had some problems with the box.

(Str-1)L is too knifish, and CDs are made much differently than knives. When you break a CD, many things happen. The plastic covering (the part that is usually scratched and smudged) is blown apart. The silicon that is inside to help slow down wear and tear of the data is spilled everywhere (which is really fragging hard to clean up). The actual CD that holds the data shatters and creates very jagged edges, and one that is always sharper than most any knife I or any of my friends have come in contact with.
Game2BHappy
okay then... how about (Str)L, double impact armor?
Ol' Scratch
I'd say it's like Rattan Sticks. Give it a base code of (Str-1)L and then apply the Flechette rules. In other words, it's (Str-1)M against bare flesh, but against armor it's doubled and drops back down to L.
Adarael
That's ridiculous, really.
A CD cannot make an effective melee weapon unless one has some kind of adept powers (Missile Master, etc). It's a piece of plastic that's only *vaguely* as sharp as a dull knife.

That's like asking for the damage code for a plastic spork.
Tanka
Broken CD, mind you. Ever try to pick one up without cutting yourself in some fashion?
Adarael
About every week, actually. I work as a tech, and we break a lot of junk CDs that come in the mail.

Austere Emancipator
I gotta agree with Adarael here... I've broken quite a few of them with my bare hands, never hurt myself on them. I mean sure, something with glass-like qualities will be rather sharp when it's broken. But by this logic you ought to make a broken bottle at least (S+4)L, preferably (S+2M) or something. And that's just silly.
Game2BHappy
...and the broken bottle is easier to hold onto. Personally, if one of my players picks up odd items for melee I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt - it fosters creativity in their style. Realistically, my sweatshirt will likely stop a determined CD wielder. smile.gif
Tziluthi
I don't know about broken CDs, but how about the damage code for frisbee-ing a whole CD at someone. They can hold a pretty impressive amount of speed, and they make a bloody loud clunk when they hit something. (Str)L Stun would be my guess.
Kagetenshi
I don't know about that. Remember, a Light wound is a fairly big deal in Shadowrun, enough to make a task a fair amount harder; I just don't see a CD doing that kind of damage. Maybe (STR-4)[null], where null is nothing but can be staged to something through large numbers of successes.

~J
Tanka
Yet, IIRC, paintballs do some amount of Stun. Of course, this leads to the Daria quote...

"Those paintball thingies hurt!"
Kagetenshi
Paintballs do what, 4L stun? I find that a bit high, but a lot more reasonable than a CD doing anything above 2L in human hands. Even 2L is high.

~J
Tanka
You have to remember staging, too. Your average guy (Bod 3, no armor) is going to bring that down. Now, say he's wearing a lot of clothes, giving him a virtual Impact 1, if the double armor rules is incorporated, that means he has to roll... 2s. Which they'll do almost every time.

Your Bod 1 guy, however, is going to get cut and wind up in pain quite a bit.

Oh, and, while we're at it... Paper cuts! Even your Bod 6 guy winces in pain when he slices his finger open with one of those. (ed) They also tend to sting a lot because your hands are one of the sweatiest parts of your body. Distraction mod, anyone?
BumsofTacoma
Paintball guns can fire at up to 400 fps, sometimes higher, that can do damage, leave welts, draw blood at close enough range. especially if you shoot a marble or ball bearing.

I have snapped cd's in two with one hand and never cut my self.

although throwing them does hurt. and if you hit someone in the head with it they do bleed pretty good, if thrown hard enough that is. eek.gif

i couldnt tell you how much it would hurt, i never winced at paper cuts, i have bad nreves and sens little or no pain in most of my skin, problem is this also means little or no pleasure. frown.gif
Eindrachen
CDs could, theoretically, do significant damage, but the chances they will should be next to none.

I'd set the damage code to [Str/2] L. I'd venture to guess it's more aerodynamic than a shuriken, so I'd give it a slightly better range; say, base the ranges on Str x2, or Str +3. Make Impact armor the one to use, and if it hits any armor rated 4 or better, the CD shatters (becoming useless for throwing).

Keep the code for melee use, but raise TN to hit someone by +2 (it is definitely not a very wieldy melee weapon); keep the shatter rule.
Kagetenshi
Ah, but most people aren't going to be wearing enough clothing to provide any impact armor, except maybe in the dead of winter. So we're talking an average of 1.5 successes; one in two times, they're going to sustain a wound bad enough to make a task that a single die has a 50% chance of success on into a task that a single die has a 33% chance of success on.
I just don't see that happening with a CD.
As for paper cuts: yes, they hurt. Do they make EVERYTHING harder to do? I sharpen knives a lot, and I have a casual disregard for my own safety while doing so, so I end up with a lot of cuts on my hands. I can tell you that they rarely interfere, and even then usually only with certain specific tasks that rub the cut the wrong way. No modifiers unless most of the body is covered in them.

~J
Tanka
I wear the equivalent of Forearm Guards while outside of my house (Not including work). Does that mean I can stage better than the rest of you guys? grinbig.gif
RangerJoe
This just reminds me why I want to make a white collar office-assassin adept. Think of the possibilities: oragami paper knives, CD-ahem-optical chip barrages, skilled shots of pen ink into his enemies' eyes....
Hero
About the paintball thing, the highest velocity I have obtained is 350fps, airsoft guns on the other hand are in the 400fps range. The reason why paintballs hurt as much as they do even when at lower velocities then airsoft guns, is because the large impact area, have an airsoft buddy to back it up that says per round the paintball hurts more then an airsoft pellet. Being shot with a hot marker, hot means above field regulated velocities, hurts like a mothers and is capable of knocking somebody out. I have shot about three people to my knowledge in the balls at ranges no greater then 8-10 feet and they dropped like a sack of bricks, and one of those people I nailed once inside each thigh. Lets just say he was not able to play for 20+ min. So I think the 4L that is applied to paintball markers it well deserved.

And as for the broken CD thing, you don't through broken CDs, you use them to slash and stab people. Throughing a broken CD does not accomplish much unless you get a luck hit in the face and what not, but the lucky hit has to hit with the broken edge of the CD. So I say a broken CD used as a slashing/stabbing tool would do as much damage as a knife, and maybe a special wound modifier for healing because of the shards.
Tanka
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
This just reminds me why I want to make a white collar office-assassin adept. Think of the possibilities: oragami paper knives, CD-ahem-optical chip barrages, skilled shots of pen ink into his enemies' eyes....

Oh... My... I should kill you now. Props for the hilarity of it.
BumsofTacoma
QUOTE (Hero)
About the paintball thing, the hightest vilocity I have obtained is 350fps, airsoft guns on the other hand are in the 400fps range. The reason why paintballs hurt as much as they do even when at lower vilocities then airsoft guns, is because the large impact area, have an airsoft buddy to back it up that says per round the paintball hurts more then an airsoft pellet. Being shot with a hot marker, hot means above field regulated vilocities, hurts like a mothers and is capable of knocking somebody out. I have shot about three people to my knowledge in the balls at ranges no greater then 8-10 feet and they dropped like a sack of bricks, and one of those people I nailed once inside each thigh. Lets just say he was not able to play for 20+ min. So I think the 4L that is applied to paintball markers it well deserved.

I had an S.L.68 pump, got it up to 412,
I didnt use it that high unless i was playing in the river bed with my friends. parks test your guns usually, although it doesn't keep some people from jacking the pressure back up during play. I got shot in the balls with at 7 feet, regulation 270fps, i was out of it for half the day, neck shot just as bad, get hit in the ear, jeezus k riste! ahh man that hurts.

i also had one skim my cheek, burned it pretty bad made it bleed, same thing to my arm, i actually have a scar from that one. as well as one on my back from being shot at 3 feet away.

but cd's unless you have adept power missle mastery, its not going to work all that well, your average jacket, sweater, pants whatever is going to deflect that. unless thrown at the head, groin, or neck, maybe one or to other soft things as well.
Kagetenshi
Even non-thrown they're still just not going to be an effective weapon. Not at all. Not knife-level, not toothpick-level. There's just no way to use it effectively. They're one of the things that if you have it in your hand when a fight starts, you drop it and fight with your bare hand.

~J
Tanka
I'd fight with one just to say I did... Of course I have the insane reach of being tall and also being lanky so I can move around hits somehow... But that isn't the point!
Kagetenshi
Ok, very true, the badass value of having destroyed someone with a broken CD might be worth it.
Hmm... an assassin who leaves a trail of bloody AOL cds in his/her wake...

~J
Tanka
Which leads us to another point that has no reason to exist other than it can...

Dikoted AOL CD Shards! devil.gif
StealthBanana
You guys have reached a new level of retardation.

It's a CD. It won't do jack. You'll cut somebody slightly, they will shoot you in the face. Your dead, they have a little scratch, which would probably not give a wound modifier by the way. Stun represents trama to the vitals - a little cut won't do jack. Of course, you could go for the throat, but as I said, your opponent will most likely be armed. With a weapon. With which he/she will shoot you in the face with.

Now get out of here!
moosegod
But it's funny to discuss.

StealthBanana
It is indeed. I'm sorry.

I would just go for the eyes. Rend and cut the jelly like eyeball to pieces, all while screaming a primal battle call.

Yeah, I still think it's retarded nyahnyah.gif.
moosegod
That's what makes it funny, fool. biggrin.gif
Tanka
Whoa, whoa, whoa StealthBanana! extinguish.gif

I was in a random conversation with somebody and just really wanted to know what you guys thought. Apparently, those thoughts are too "retarded" to discuss, and yet people are discussing it. Before you go flinging names, give us something useful to chew on.

So... Like I said... Dikoted AOL CD Shards, anyone?
nezumi
Two notes.
1) America is gone, its UOL : ) (or COL or NANOL depending on where you are).
2) You have to add on separate damage do to Evil Taint (AOL/UOL or M$ only). I'd probably treat it as a poison with a touch vector that gradually EITHER degrades the MPCP chip on your deck by 1 point OR continually sucks 20Y from your account every month.
BumsofTacoma
1) cds are not in use anymore, chips, and the like are.

you cant dikote plactic cd's! the mechanics of it are mind boggling. they would disintegrate in the proccess!

just throw a damn ninja star, or shakram, hell throw a hubcap, a playing card a light bulb what ever you want, but the cd just aint gonna do anything but make them laugh and then as some one else just said, shoot you in the face, or legs if they think your funny enough to let live.

dikote a cd... sheesh, dikote you coffee mug to, hell dikote your fingernails while your at it.

sorry rent check bounced, and i have had too much coffee and tea, a llittle on edge.
eek.gif
Ol' Scratch
MiniCDs still exist. They're really tiny, though.

And are you seriously saying that people wouldn't be laughing and shooting you in the face if you threw a light bulb, a playing card, or a hubcab instead? Ooookay.
BumsofTacoma
was mearly noting the obsurdity of it all, they would do the same in those situations.

hell a shurican isnt all that usefull unless you taking out unarmored tagrets.

bah ive been awake to long, my throught is sore from singing and chain smoking, but at least my bands album is starting to get off the ground.

first song came out pretty good, need drums and maybe some back up vocals.
ac to much valium..... i mean... er o i give up, going to sleep.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)

You're assuming I was talking about someone in Shadowrun doing that.

~J
Tanka
Yeah. I'd do it in a fight (No guns, cowards!) just for the rumors it would spark.

"Did you hear? Tanka beat somebody up with an AOL CD!" "No way!" "I heard he cut the guy's jugular." "Yeah, well, I heard he cut his head right off!" "Oh YEAH?!" "Yeah!"

I can see it now...

No, wait, I can't, that's my hunger calling.
D.Generate
You all are going about this all wrong.... heres the situation:

You are being assulated by an unknown assailent while working late in you nice cozy office cubicle at your friendly Ares office complex. said assailent has you pinned back first down on the desk with a gun to your head asking you all sorts of questions about some new weapon system Ares is developing.... Seeing that you have already had just enough of your job, your co-wage slaves are pissing you off just about every other other day so you figure now is about hte best time as any to go "postal". Frantically twisting your head around to look for something anything you spot a 100 hour free UCOL v. 45.0 ...... reaching for the cd you grasp it in your hand and squeeze with all your desk jockey might, it cracks in 2 and in one fluid moment you jab half of the cd straight into the eye of your attacker and into his frontal lobe......

Who cares about damage codes if my players come up with something like that the guy is dead or severly incapacitated... some times you just have to say screw the rules and F the system cool-a-tude is everything in my game.

StealthBanana
I just said I thought it was retarded. Doesn't mean it's too retarded to discuss. Shit, I discuss things far more retarded everyday. I just had an itchy trigger finger and had to post somewhere. No hard feelings, I hope.

~SB
moosegod
I had an awesome idea!

Make a macaulti out of it! You know, the obsidian shards on a club the Azzies use?
Tiralee
Aztechnology office politics just got a little more interesting with that suggestion.

Not only is there blood spirits, power-hungry mages and a corporate culture of sacrifice, NOW we have to deal with the mail-boy waving one of these next run.

"Oh, god, it's just the mail-boy. Frag his ass and let's keep moving."
"Muuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhuhhhh!"
"The? What is he waving....Arrrgh, my arm, goddammit, my arm!"

L;
moosegod
Or Azzie blood sacrifices.

*snap*

Team: "What was that?"
*slice*
FIREBALL, FORCE 12!

Team barely survives: "Alright, who left the blood mage with a CD?"
tisoz
QUOTE (D.Generate)
You all are going about this all wrong.... heres the situation:

You are being assulated <snip>

LOL. What an image

(nezumi)

America, both North and South are still around. It is not called United States Online. AOL would have no need to change their acronym nor their logo, which depicts the Americas not solely the US.

Kagetenshi
But it is in fact UOL, UCAS OnLine, more for RL legal reasons than anything else.

~J

Edit: and AOL is still AOL in Mongolia, so UOL would still be UOL in the CAS or NAN.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012