IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rigging Motorcycles, Can a rigger rig a motorbike without falling off?
ornot
post Apr 11 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,638

Simple really... If a rigger (by which I principally mean someone with a VCR) goes limp when they jump into a drone/vehicle, does this mean a rigger falls off their bike if they try to rig it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 11 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

They are -6 dice for the check you call for to see if they fall off after failing piloting check.

Velcro and seatbelts are useful.

And you can also think of it as the rigger being the horse and the rider is his own self. The rigger is probably going to make an effort to drive in such as way as to not have his own body fall off himself. When I give my kids piggy back rides they rarely fall off when they fall asleep because I'm making the effort to not drop them.

+Quote Post
Larme
post Apr 11 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

I think you could easily gin up some rules for a gecko tape harness that keeps you stuck to the back of the bike no matter what. Or just buy gecko tape gloves, really.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 11 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Running Target

So the suggestion is just to tape the rider to the bike?

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Apr 11 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

staples or glue would work just as well, too, if tape is unavailable.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 11 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Running Target

I'll just have to persuade the player to take a detachable nail-gun hand, so he can affix himself to his racing bike, without risking falling off.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Apr 11 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Wouldn't the gyro mod take care of this by keeping the bike level.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 11 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Rigger 3 has a gyroscope add-in (or you can get a side-car) which allows you to do this. If you're not using that book, the manual doesn't specify any penalty to I assume none. There are plenty of other threads on the real life mechanics of this, but I'd just assume the gyroscope is built in, but glossed over from a rules perspective.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 11 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #9

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

If the rigger is rigging, jumps into, the bike they are physically riding I really wouldn't worry about the falling off part so much. They are in effect carrying themselves around. Hopefully they will be careful with themselves.

In general I wouldn't be concerned with this overly much, unless there's some kind of glitch on some other test, then falling off the bike becomes a great option.

Nowe, for motorcycles driving themselves... e.g. pilot programs.. See Arsenal p 103

"Note that motorcycles are not capable of driving themselves
unless they have the gyro stabilization modifi cation (p. 140)."

Arsenal p 140

"Motorcycle Gyro Stabilization (Standard, Motorcycles
Only): Th anks to technology, your bike no longer crashes to the
ground when you forget to employ the kickstand. With motorbike
gyro stabilization, the motorcycle will stay upright in all
but the worst conditions. In cases where a Handling failure may
bring about a motorcycle crash, add 2 to the vehicle’s Handling
to represent the gyro stabilization’s assistance in keeping the
rider upright."

+Quote Post
Shiloh
post Apr 11 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,843

QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 11 2008, 03:58 PM) *
Wouldn't the gyro mod take care of this by keeping the bike level.

Bikes don't need extra gyros to keep them "level" (they have big, fast-spinning wheels for that) and they need to be "unlevel" to corner... I don't *think* the centripetal force of the bike seat has enough vertical component to keep the out-of-body rigger from flopping off.

Nails. It's the only sane answer. No need for a whole detachable cyberhand, just keep the NG in the top box...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 11 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Well, considering Combat Cycle is a major sporting event where Combat Riggers on Motorbikes duel it out constantly, I'm sure there's gear abounding to allow for this.

For one thing, I picture armoured boots that resemble ski boots that'll hook up to the frame.

More will come as I think on them...

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 11 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Running Target

I was familiar with the gyro stabilisation modification, although I can't off hand remember whether my player invested in it for his racing bike.

I was mostly wondering whether it would be possible for a rigger body to remain astride a bike, considering that the fluff describes full VR users as going limp, and I have a hard time seeing someone entirely limp staying on a bike.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

i had this very same discussion a few months ago on a german shadowrun board . . in the end we more or less decided that it was the power of handwavium holding the driver up . . the argument of combat bikers did come up, but the only real fluff description i ever found for combatbiking . . for rigged biking at all . . was the one novel with winger and rose and in that book it seemed as if they were not really jumped in, but about half and half . . additionally, their legs were held onto the bike by metal clamps or something like that . .

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 11 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Handwavium... I was hoping to avoid that.

How about this... IIRC the ASIST interface paralyses the body. Consider that entering VR does not make a hacker or a rigger go limp, but rather rigid. Riggers would not fall out of the seats, and hackers/deckers could be used as battering rams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Of course, they might wake up with a bit of a cramp, and a headache in the case of the bettering ram!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

*shrugs*
no real ruling, only limited at best fluff, so handwavium will have to do i'm afraid . . if you interpret asist like that, then that's one form of handwavium or is it not?

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 11 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (ornot @ Apr 11 2008, 09:53 AM) *
I'll just have to persuade the player to take a detachable nail-gun hand, so he can affix himself to his racing bike, without risking falling off.

Please think about this for a minute. You know that the very big thing in front of you on a bike is your fuel tank right? Do you really want to be pounding nails through it? Also, since bikes are very minimalistic, aside from the body panels (which are structurally very weak), you really dont want to be pounding nails through your chassis (aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber do not become more structurally sound with nails in the mix).

And as for the gyro, it enables the bike to lean, it does not keep the rider on. You will need some kind of harness affixing you to the bike for that.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

leg-clamps at least, chest-clamps with some i'd say . . and yes, we stumbled upon the problem of gyroscopes too back then . .
we kinda thought the gyro's would be computer-manipulated to make the bike lean into the right direction at the appropriate time in the correct angle . . and then you'd fall off again, because the frigging bike is leaning to one side and your body follows just one urge . . inertia and gravitation . .

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Apr 11 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Fuel tanks are ferrous, magnets stick to them. (They even have magnetic tank bags). Just have the rigger have a couple speaker magnets in his jacket that stick him to the fuel tank and you're good to go. Or just assume that the gyro-stabilization comes with a seatbelt like system to keep a rigger attached.

Or, just go with the fluff that the riggers CAN move their bodies, just not very well or quick. But if its in regards to piloting the bike they are rigging, I'd think it would coincide and that the ASSIST/Control Rig might even have said functionality built it that allows them to move their body to keep balance for the bike.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 11 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 11 2008, 12:54 PM) *
Please think about this for a minute. You know that the very big thing in front of you on a bike is your fuel tank right? Do you really want to be pounding nails through it? Also, since bikes are very minimalistic, aside from the body panels (which are structurally very weak), you really dont want to be pounding nails through your chassis (aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber do not become more structurally sound with nails in the mix).

And as for the gyro, it enables the bike to lean, it does not keep the rider on. You will need some kind of harness affixing you to the bike for that.

I'm sorry. Perhaps I should have made my facetiousness a little more obvious... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Better?

QUOTE (stahlseele)
*shrugs*
no real ruling, only limited at best fluff, so handwavium will have to do i'm afraid . . if you interpret asist like that, then that's one form of handwavium or is it not?

Yes... that was indeed my attempt at handwavium that could conceivably be overlooked or accepted by picky players.

Although I could accept Tarantula's limited mobility fluff as well.

+Quote Post
Zombayz
post Apr 11 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,683

I have to throw this on to whatever else has been said quickly: it depends heavily on the type of bike. A dirtbke, you'd go down, a rice rocket, you'd stay on, and a hog you'd stay on.

And as mentioned before, when you're riding a bike, your "steering" is about 90% your body, 9% steering with the front wheel, and 1% road.

+Quote Post
vladski
post Apr 11 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

QUOTE (ornot @ Apr 11 2008, 10:59 AM) *
Handwavium... I was hoping to avoid that.

How about this... IIRC the ASIST interface paralyses the body. Consider that entering VR does not make a hacker or a rigger go limp, but rather rigid. Riggers would not fall out of the seats, and hackers/deckers could be used as battering rams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Of course, they might wake up with a bit of a cramp, and a headache in the case of the bettering ram!

I've been riding motorcycles for about 20 years now (logging a good 10K miles a year) and upon reading htis thread, I'd have to say that something like this ASIST idea is about the only plausible way a rigger motorcyclist is going to stay mounted on his motorcycle through ANY kind of maneuvering, including jsut taking a corner at 10 MPH.

When riding a motorcycle you aren't jsut sitting on it and steering with your arms and working levers with your feet. A good 80-90 percent of steering a motorcycle is using your body: leaning, pressing, even jsut small motions changing the balance. At any kind of speed you are having to compensate for the wind. On a motorcycle, you truly become one with the vehicle. This is why it's such a rush to ride. It's sort of like flying, except, under most circumstances, you stay on the ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) This is why your body is so tired after riding for a few hours. Riding a motorcycle is like a real low aerobics/ isometric workout.

Now, there are two options as I see it:

Option 1. An ASIST created especially for motorcycles that actually controls the rigger's body and has it lean and do the things it takes to properly maneuver... sorta like a meat puppet. A computer controlled body that will lean into the wind, hold onto the bike with his hands and legs and keep his head upright, while leaning out knees for fast curves and literally throwing his body around as the case merits. The added gyroscopes could well make the handling even better.

Option 2. The rider literally straps himself to the vehicle: legs, feet, arms, torso and with some sort of neck brace, and the gyroscopes run under the computer do it all. At any kind of speed, without a major wind faring, the wind will want to jsut rip you off hte back of the bike, as anyone that had ridden on the highway in the driver's position doing over 65mph can attest to. Try going over 100 sometime. The increase feels geometrical in progression. (Don't get me started on movies that have the hero riding at more than 25-30 mph without eyewear. You CAN NOT keep your eyes open and if you could, they'd be useless from drying out and/or tearing up so bad! Sorry, pet peeve that takes me right out of the suspension of disbelief.)

Now, all things said and done, either method would technically work. I personally believe that Option 1 would work "better." Not to mention, if I was a runner, I would definitely not wnat to be harnessed onto my open-air death machine. Hell, not even if I WASN'T a runner. If I need to jack out and dismount, I want to be able to be gone NOW! Also, everything that Option 1 requires is already part and parcel with the common tech in Shadowrun. Also, from a purely stylistic view, Option 1 is the most aesthetically pleasing. A person playing a Runner wants to be able to describe:

"Jack Flash slips out hte back door and slides onto his bike and jacks in. He starts her up and revs the engine a couple times before peeling off in the foggy Seatle night jsut as Lonestar exits the backdoor in pursuit, only to see the dark rider's taillight turning the corner."

How much lamer is:

"Jack Flash slips out hte back door and slides onto his bike, taking time to carefully velcro his legs down. He slips his boots into the restraining clips as he proceeds to inflate his neck harness from the built in pneumatics, fastens his 7 point body harness and adheres his sticky gloves to the handlebars. Just as he revs the engine he notices, via his sensors, that in the last minute, Lonestar has steathly surrounded he and his bike, their Predators all aimed at his head."

Yeah, give me Option 1 every time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Vlad

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Apr 11 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #22

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (vladski @ Apr 11 2008, 01:21 PM) *
I've been riding motorcycles for about 20 years now (logging a good 10K miles a year) and upon reading htis thread, I'd have to say that something like this ASIST idea is about the only plausible way a rigger motorcyclist is going to stay mounted on his motorcycle through ANY kind of maneuvering, including jsut taking a corner at 10 MPH.

I find it funny that I came up with that option simply because I do ride a motorcycle, and am fairly used to the needs of your body to ride one well. It was the only thing that made sense to me as far as the world goes for allowing motorcycles that are rigged and ridden at once.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 11 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

Here's my take.

You can rig a motorcycle while you're riding it. This is because of the following reasons.
  1. Before you jump in, you duck down as low as you can (or lean back if it's a chopper) and tense your muscles so you're more stable.
  2. When jumped in, you "are" the bike, and can keep your body on board much the same way that a horse can help keep its rider from falling.
  3. It's JUST FUCKING COOL!
Actually, I see no reason more important than #3.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

and with the arsenal modifications, one can build the akira-bike, the tron-bike, the winger-special bike and bloody everything else one can imagine . . the spider-bike, the air-bike from one of the very first SR books . . New Seattle i think . . hover-bikes, walker-bikes(don't ask how that would work, i have no idea O.o) . . probably like T-Bob from MASK . . hmm . . aren't most vehicles from mask pretty much buildable now? O.o

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Apr 11 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

How about they just automatically turn down the ASIST when you are jumped in a motorcycle?

A rigger doesn't usually engage in Cybercombat or Black Ice so they don't need the ASIST safety features of being totally limp.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.