IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic Guns, Oh yeah, I'm going there...
DocTaotsu
post Apr 12 2008, 03:07 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,601

QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Apr 11 2008, 09:57 PM) *
How about magic guns? Can we have a thread on magic guns?

Here we are! Magic guns!
@set Thread=Goofy Fun

Now are we talking about guns that shoot magic or guns that are enhanced by magic?

I have this weapon in mind for my "Goofy Ultra High Magic Non-Cannon 500 bp Build" game. Using and abusing the rules of weapon attunement and weapon foci you create a firearm infused with orichalium and magical energies. Extra dice for tests, the ability to cast spells like "gyroscope" and "magical smartlink" to negate variou modifiers and so on.

Hell, lets give it special magical bullets so you can shoot people in astral space. When you fire on the astral plane it actually sucks away bits of your essence that regenerate over time. Blood magic rifle to the rescue!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 12 2008, 03:14 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I like guns that are enchanted so I can pistol-whip you to death with them.

Or bayonets. I'm cool with bayonetting. Rifle-as-club works. Pistols with knuckle-dusters. True Vessels with free spirits that use the Wealth power to create silver bullets.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 12 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

"Wow you have an M22A4 weapon foci? Does that... work?"
"Yeah, but only for butt stroking and bayonetting."

+Quote Post
Chrome Tiger
post Apr 12 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #4

Shiny Metal Kitty Head

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 146

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 11 2008, 10:15 PM) *
"Wow you have an M22A4 weapon foci? Does that... work?"
"Yeah, but only for butt stroking and bayonetting."

This sounds so SO incredibly wrong... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Apr 12 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

Thematically, I always really liked enchanted ammo fired from breach loaders. I described my idea in huge detail to a friend. He said oh like Outlaw Star. I said not at all. After bit of YouTube I said well slightly larger guns, slightly smaller rounds.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Apr 12 2008, 06:48 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

i sometimes like to ask complicated questions to the resident magic expert in order to give him headaches. this is one that he couldn't answer:

If i was a possession tradition mage, and had a spirit possess a bullet, then i packed the bullet into it's casing and then fired it out of a gun, would it count as a sort of weapon focus?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 12 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Why would it? Simply being dual-natured wouldn't be enough. Under Astral Combat on pg. 184 (main book) it says "Astrally perceiving or dual natured characters use their Physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body, and their Willpower + Astral combat to fight wholly astral entities." So against a materialized spirit, it would be a normal physical attack, and against an astral spirit, it would be as ineffective as ranged attacks typically are in astral space.

Using this tactic would also make every spirit start spending Edge to resist summoning tests - remember that spirits somehow "know" when a conjurer has been abusing spirits.

+Quote Post
SIN
post Apr 12 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 13,950

On a similar note, the shaman in our game is an archer. After a quick read of the enchanting rules, I think it's possible to enchant arrows to let off spells when a prearranged condition (e.g. touching someone other than him - would that work?) is met. Essentially, he could have spell arrows (though they'd be expensive and more hassle than just casting a spell). Am I completely misreading this? Also, if I'm not, could these arrows be used on the astral if he had a weapon focus bow?

Apologies if these are silly obvious questions.

SIN

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 12 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Anchoring costs Karma, so it's not something he would want to do regularly, but yes, you could anchor spells to arrows. There are no weapon foci bows, though, and even if there were, an arrow would be too slow against purely astral targets.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Apr 12 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

What is the problem with enchanting a gun to be more accurate? the spell would be on the weapon and not the ammo it would be firing.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Apr 12 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I want a cross that transforms into a dikoted orichalcum possessed spirit shooting machinegun!

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Apr 12 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

Actually possessing bullets does two things. First it would have a DV of F/2 as per SM 87. I'm not exactly sure if this DV stacks or overlaps or replaces an existed DV on either the physical or astral. This would be extra usefull for cutting Imunnity to Natural Weapons, and explicitly let's you shoot things on the astral.

Second if you could get a spirit with Engery Aura it would get extra nasty. Energy Aura let's you add +4 to a melee attack. I know this isn't exactly RAW, but I'd allow it because the spirit is in physical contact with the target. Now here is where it get's nasty. If you don't recall the spirit to possess the next round in your chamber & the bullet lodges in the victim's body they are basiclly dead, if you don't fallow the strickest RAW. If someone makes a melee attack on a spirit with EA they take damage with DV=Force. I know that if you lodge a bullet in someone that they aren't going to melee their own bullet hole. But if punching something with EA is enough to I would think that having it lodge in you would hurt at least as much.

I know this is a really loose rules interpretation of EA, but it should do something. And anything is grizzly

+Quote Post
Chrome Tiger
post Apr 12 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #13

Shiny Metal Kitty Head

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 146

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 12 2008, 04:49 AM) *
Anchoring costs Karma, so it's not something he would want to do regularly, but yes, you could anchor spells to arrows. There are no weapon foci bows, though, and even if there were, an arrow would be too slow against purely astral targets.

...And anchoring a small quiver of arrows is one thing. Very time and resource consuming, but it pales compares to what anchoring a couple of AK mags or a box of beltfed...

I think having a troll with a gimble-mounted LMG spitting enchanted ammo would have disturbing effects on game balance.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

i present to you:
Uncle Ancients Ideas!

The Endless Six-Shooter
A modern remake of the classic pre-American Civil War era Navy Colt .36 caliber six-shooter, cast from a genuine iron church bell, with a hilt made from golden boar tusk. Custom-finished with silver and orichalcum arabesque-designs and half-centimeter tall runes.

Aside from being a fine firearm that many a pistol enthusiast would be happy to add to their collection, this weapon is a stacked Anchoring Focus (2) [Enhance Aim]/Specific Spell [Spiritbolt] focus (4). In addition, the focus is a Unique Enchantment with a Force 6 free fire elemental is bound within it by it's True Name. The free spirit possesses the Wealth power, which is used to make an "endless" supply of silver bullets for the gun.

AANNDD:

The Ace of Winchesters
A sleek, classic Winchester rifle, made of bright steel and dull gems that seem to burn when the light catches them right. There are three notches along the ivor-inlaid stock.

Rumors has it the Ace of Winchesters was made during the abortive second Texas Republic by one of the Rangers, built from metal from the Heavens and gems from the earth and the bones of saints to kill the dark spirit of the Aztlaners. Some even claim the Ranger sold his soul to make the rifle.

The Ace of Winchesters is actually a Force 8 ally spirit, whose summoner gave it the form of a classic Winchester rifle. Seamus O'Grady, the summoner, rents out the ally spirit as a weapon, quietly encouraging the legend he's built up around it. The Ally Spirit is dual-natured at all times while "on assignment."

O'Grady came up with the idea after finding an astral construct of a set of bullet-casting tools in an abandoned mine. He sends spirits searching far and wide across the astral, bringing him other astral constructs made of metal, smelting them into bullets for the Ace of Winchesters with the aid of a fire elemental and the tools.

Renting the Ace of Winchesters costs 10,000 CAS dollars per diem, paid in advance, and comes with three "astral bullets" and a box of ten silver bullets for more ordinary fare. Once the time-or the bullets-are used up, the Ace of Winchesters returns to O'Grady.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 12 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Mmm... yes yes this is all very nice but do you have any in... vorpal?

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Apr 12 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

The most magic gun I can think of is an Attuned (Gun) which a Phys ad can have. +DP = Magic/2 (round down?)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 12 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

From Steve Kenson's website ...

QUOTE (SR3 Ally Spirit)
Loud Boy: A particularly deranged combat mage decided to bind his ally spirit into the focus of his favorite Ares Predator. He named the spirit "Loud Boy" (which is engraved on the side of the gun) and uses his faithful intelligent weapon in combat.

Loud Boy has developed an aggressive and violent personality that mirrors that of its summoner. Together the pair makes for a dangerous opponent. If the spirit were to go free, its disregard for the value of human life would make it a dangerous rogue, capable of starting conflicts to satisfy its desire for violence.

Force: 2, Native Plane: Plane of Fire, Statistics: Force. Loud Boy's gun form effectively gives it Body 2 and 4 points of Armor. It is capable of moving and firing on its own and can use its Magic Fingers spell to even re-load itself. It will fly to the hand of its master whenever it is summoned. Powers: Inhabitation, Skills: Firearms 6, Sorcery 5, Spells: Influence 4, Flamethrower 5 (allows the gun to shoot flames), Magic Fingers 3, Karma Cost: 35

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

with the name loud boy i'd have figured some spell or elemental effect utilizing sound or boom or something like that O.o

+Quote Post
swirler
post Apr 12 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

I remember in our SR1 game the guy playing the mage asked the gm
"I want a magical sword that I can swing it and it attacks people from a distance. Like I can stand here and hit them over there. Can I do that? "

the gm looked at him for a minute then said
"It's Shadowrun... BUY A FREAKING GUN!!!!"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Apr 12 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

Yeah in 2e I played a mage/gunsmith once who's longer term goals was to make enchanted bullets. they were going to work similar to outlaw star i guess. Anchoring a Detect Impact spell with whatever other effect (Hellblast anyone?) I wanted. So yeah, they were gonna end up costing an arm and a leg and lost of karma, and I'd still take drain as normal. But for the ability to use a sniper rifle from half a klick have them take the damage and then hellblast was gonna be worth it. Arrows could easily be done the same way. Or even better, I think having a Bow Combat Spell focus (or manipulation, depending on how you like it) and Arrow expendable (as in the disappear before you shoot them) fetishes to make glowing doom arrow spells would be pretty sweet. Ya know, like the girl on the front of 3ed companion.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

should be more or less possible, if one were to use uncle ancients approach to the matter . . but then, his approach to most things is just unique *g*

+Quote Post
b1ffov3rfl0w
post Apr 13 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,329

It takes much more than wild courage
Or you'll hit just the tattered clouds
You must have just the right bullets
And the first one's always free.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 13 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #23

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

A focus is only active while it is in physical contact with the user, hence bullets are right out. However, tasers, could hypothetically be done (just don't use the reach-based prices in the book, make it yourself!)

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Apr 13 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (swirler @ Apr 12 2008, 06:45 PM) *
I remember in our SR1 game the guy playing the mage asked the gm
"I want a magical sword that I can swing it and it attacks people from a distance. Like I can stand here and hit them over there. Can I do that? "

the gm looked at him for a minute then said
"It's Shadowrun... BUY A FREAKING GUN!!!!"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

Too many fail to understand the intimacy and beauty of killing someone by propelling small pieces of lead and copper into them at Mach 1 using a chemical exlosive. That films do not often depict tactical combat does not help people understand how interesting a gun fight can be when it involves people who are seriously trying to avoid dying. Hence the fact that the average person believes that swords are cooler and more interesting than guns, and roleplaying games exist for the entertainment of those who participate.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 13 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

amen to that . . as much as i love my maxed out strength troll with his dikote pole-arm doing 20D damage in close Combat . .
i like my maxed out troll having not that much(still too much sadly) trouble firing a minigun . . strength and surgical striking are good . . but filling the air with lead does the same in a much more impressive way . . and if all else fails, there's still the Ares Great Dragon ATGM to take care of EVERYTHING that you can get the drop on . . only really big dragons, some other critters and some bunker-like structures will still be operational, and they, too, will have a large chunk blown right out of them . .
bt a magical gun is, sadly, even to me still cooler than that *g*
i would likely try to get the Trigun-Hand-Cannon by magical means ^^

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.