IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Urban S.E.R.E Challenge, Survive, Evade, Resist, Escape. Not necessarily in that order.
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,601

Setup:
For reasons beyond your control you are alone on the streets being actively pursued by Lone Star, Ares, MCT, and 3 women you slept with briefly back in ’65. That locker with fake SINs, certified cred, and a SA Puzzler fell off the face of the planet. You’re contacts are shunning you like the plague and it’s safe to say that you’re SIN has been compromised. Your team is alive but spread throughout the city and possibly unaware of the situation. Furthermore your best chance of survival is to leave the city (possibly the country) in the next 6 hours.

You are currently in a medium security area with the following gear:

-Commlink 3/3/3
-Ares Predator IV (Or other pistol of your choosing)
-Fake SIN level 6/Ammunition/Relevant Permits (Compromised)
-500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) Certified Cred
-Armor Jacket or Lined Coat
-Multi-Function Tool
-Goggles/Glasse/Contacts with: Image magnification, low light, flare comp, smartlink.
-Ball Point Pen

How would you get out of this situation?

Edit: Compromised SIN added for clarity
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 26 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Ditch the gun and the ammo in a sewer grate. Stroll to a bus stop. $150 for a ticket to the first outbound heading somewhere to the East. $10 for a meal from a soyvend while I wait. Vroom.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Won't public transportation require SIN verification? Especially if you have to cross borders and what not?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 26 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #4

Freelance Elf

Yeah, but don't I have a Rating 6 fake SIN? Bussing is, by and large, the most casual/least secure/least watched method of public transportation (especially long distance) in North America. If a Rating 6 fake SIN couldn't get me somewhere via Greyhound, I dunno what could.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Hehe, no you're right about that. But if your SIN is compromised doesn't that mean they'd be all over you the minute you swiped through at the gate/border crossing?

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Apr 26 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,137

Unless they've got the entire metropolis under complete lockdown bribing a taxi driver to not require SIN and then driving out of the city should work just fine.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 26 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Well, is my SIN compromised, or my fake SIN (6)? If my fake SIN (6) is compromised, I wouldn't even consider it an asset any more (and wouldn't have taken it into consideration, or thought of it as worth listing with my helpful equipment). It's kind of like listing "Broken Ares Predator (or other pistol of your choice)" or something.

With a working fake SIN (6), it just becomes a choice of "what method of transportation is the least likely to breach this rating 6 fakester, since my totally legit and on the up-and-up, official, SIN is compromised." The fake SIN (6) being the compromised one changes the whole kit and kaboodle, though, yeah.

That being the case, I'd go to the dingiest pawn shop I could find, and pawn the glasses/goggles/contacts, the multi tool, the Predator, and the ammo. Then I'd spend my gotta-be-four-digits-by-now on whatever used car, bike, or other method of transportation I could get ahold of for a pile of certified nuyen, no questions asked and no paperwork. Failing that? I'd spend the money on cab fare.

Failing that? I'd keep everything, and walk into the nearest Saeder-Krupp recruitment facility I could find. I'd have the unloaded gun in one hand, kick the magazine across the floor in front of me, stick both mits in the air, and tell whoever was there that I wanted a job, and to spill all my secrets about Ares, MCT, Lone Star, and three women I slept with briefly back in '65. In exchange, I request immediate transfer to anywhere, and my first paycheck can be held as a down payment for some cosmetic surgery.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

I listed it for the same reason I listed a ball point pen. No idea what'd you use it for but hey, if you can think of a use for a compromised SIN go for it.

Going to a Saeder-Krupp recruiter? That's fucking awesome. But what did you put down on the employment application for "Previous Employers"?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 26 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Step One: Find Payphone (Yes, they're still around!), cover/break the visual pickup (This is why I suggest people wear hats), and Contact your best Chummer on the team. The one you owe money to would be best, as it's in his/her/it's best interest to keep you alive. Set up a meet at a place you two rarely, if ever, go using a pre-arranged code for "DREK HAS HIT THE FRAGGIN' FAN MEET ME HERE NOW!" Let's say Freeloadin' Freddie's Fighthouse in the Redmond Barrens. Have him use a Burner CommLink to call in the Posse.

Step Two: Call the dingiest, dirtiest, "Don't care 'bout Drek all" cab company you can find, I suggest Ghoul Cab, and ride a few blocks from there.

Step Three: Meet up with the team at Freeloadin' Freddie's, and hope they're tight enough with you not to turn you in. And, if your Shadowteam is that shallow, serves you right for being a total smeghead with them.

Step Four: Use THEIR contacts to smuggle a box (Actually you in a box) out to the S-S lands, preferably someplace they don't care about Law and Order, like the middle of nowhere, with a Pinkskin Tribe (Unless you're Amer-Ind, then just blend in), or, if you want to get in touch with your "Inner-Trog", the Cascade Orks.

Step Five: Hope you remembered to buy Survival Skill.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 26 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 26 2008, 06:46 PM) *
You are currently in a medium security area with the following gear:

-Commlink 3/3/3
-Ares Predator IV (Or other pistol of your choosing)
-Fake SIN level 6/Ammunition/Relevant Permits (Compromised)
-500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) Certified Cred
-Armor Jacket or Lined Coat
-Multi-Function Tool
-Goggles/Glasse/Contacts with: Image magnification, low light, flare comp, smartlink.
-Ball Point Pen

How would you get out of this situation?

I don't worry about all that other stuff and use my magic to effect an escape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

4th edition has a "ZOMG RUN!!!" spell?

Man, maybe it really is broken. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

But seriously, what would your magical escape entail? An improved invisibility and a very long walk?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 26 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Physical Mask, Carjacking Skills, and a long, fast ride are more likely.

(Edit: Physical Mask AS the worst of those women you slept with in '65. Just as a final "SLOT YOU!").

+Quote Post
Leofski
post Apr 26 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,667

Ditch the Gun and ammo. Use the Ballpoint Pen to hit the factory reset on the commlink, then ditch the commlink. Your SIN is linked to your PAN via a commlink, so steal someone elses, preferably someone who looks roughly like you. Get on a Bus out of the city before it can be reported stolen. Use the ballpoint pen to reset it when you arrive, then ditch it.

The ballpoint pen is your most important tool in this entire strategy.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

I'm glad there is another fan of the ballpoint pen.

If you had to get out of the continent... where would you head? How would you get there?

+Quote Post
Leofski
post Apr 26 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,667

Caracas or Hong Kong by boat if on North America pull work under an alias pick up a new fake SIN and move on.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 26 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 26 2008, 10:07 PM) *
But seriously, what would your magical escape entail? An improved invisibility and a very long walk?

If you have to ask, you ain't a mage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously though, the variations are almost endless, depending on the particular character's list of spells and spirits.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 26 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

"Reason for entering China, sir?" "There are jobs here, unlike the UCAS." "Ah, very good."

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 26 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 26 2008, 06:35 AM) *
Going to a Saeder-Krupp recruiter? That's fucking awesome. But what did you put down on the employment application for "Previous Employers"?

Well, it doesn't have to be Saeder-Krupp, I just picked them because they were the first mega not hunting me, to pop into my head. Any old rival will do. You find anyone big enough that you're not worth them picking a fight over, and then you just leash yourself to 'em. *shrugs* It's just telling the playground bully that you know he can kick your ass for your lunch money, but you've got your own bully and in exchange for the promise of your lunch money for the next week, he's gonna stick up for you.

But, well, that's just me and most of my characters talking. I tend to play physad/sammie types, and -- for the most part -- "think like a superspy" isn't really their gig. I've got one or two that could Face-man and sleaze and tippy-toe their way to anyplace you need 'em go get, but for the most part they just go "Well, I'm a hired killer, and I've got mean people after me. I'll go hire myself out to someone new, then, I guess, and hope they like my work enough that they'll put a label on me and get made if their new toy gets broken."

Just another day on the job, really.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 26 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Or, you know, sign up for a tour in the Desert Wars. Fame, fortune, really fun toys!

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Hm... Could be an exciting evening at the UCAS Marine Corps recruiting office.

*Recruiter on phone*
"Right, well I got 3 live ones here, no they need to ship out now, as in tonight. Yeah, no SIN's... We have temps ready to go right? Oh, and comm me over a short stack of those 'prior cyber installation' forms. Oh yeah, they all all want to go recon, with no signing bonus. Must be goddamn patriots I guess."
*Smiles at bedraggled runners*
"Well boys, welcome to your new life in the Marines..."

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 26 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

20-year tour of duty, and those Temp SINs become Real. Now there's a good promise!

Well, maybe not so good for an Ork or Troll. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
vladski
post Apr 26 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

I am a mystic adept that follows Raven. I am a starting character using the 400 BP and have never supplemented my stats. The following follows my character's morals.

I'd head to a seedy bar that I don't frequent where no one likely will recognize me. Buy a drink or two, chat up the bartender and tip him heavily to put me in contact with who ever deals drugs lowlevel in the bar and state I want to make a "party-level" purchase. Bartender shouldn't cost me more than 120 nuyen out of my 500.

Get chummy with the dealer and go out back or to the restroom and kill him quietly by shoving my pen in his eye (hey, I am a mystic adept! And I really wanted to use that pen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) Ransack the body for any weapons, certified creds and most importantly any drugs he has. I should be able to come up with, at minimum the drugs he was going to sell me, a gun or knife and maybe a few more creds. For sake of argument let's say I at least recoup my bribes to the bartender. I stroll away from teh place using my invisibility spell.

Make my way to another bar, same type as the first. This time I am going to get friendly with the ladies... buying drinks, flashing my drugs. When I find one that is single and jonesing for a fix, I talk her into going back to her place for hte rest of hte night (Hey, my Charisma 4 and Negotiation of 4 should manage this.) Once there, I have the option of either killing her or making house with her. Either way, I figure I can at least hang out anonymously for a couple days. I now have time to figure things out with little chance of being found. Let's say I take the non-violent route.

Over the next two days I repeat the drug theft scheme using the doxy's residence as my base of operations. Let's say I manage to pick up 2,000 nuyen and a couple thousand nuyen worth of drugs. My lady friend is happier than drek with her new boy toy and I keep her high. Now I start probing her for her contacts. If she doesn't pan out, I just leave at some point for a case of beer at a Stuffer Shack and never return. I go to a new bar and pick out a new chic.

I am going to repeat this operation until I wind up with a gal that can put me in contact with someone that can get me traveling papers. The longer it takes me, the more cash I will have on hand. At some point, I am going to simply drive over the border with a new girlfriend in her legal car, a SIN (rating 6 base cost is only 6 grand), and quite a bit of certified cred from the drugs I have sold to her regular dealer at a discount and the small arsenal I have accumulated from all the robberies.

Once I am in the new city, I either disappear if I like my new girlfriend (leaving her enough cash to get home) or, if she's been annoying, I drug her up and sell her to the local bunraku parlor. Either way, she gets ditched. I come up with a new street name and start working the local shadows.

Vlad

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 26 2008, 08:53 AM) *
20-year tour of duty, and those Temp SINs become Real. Now there's a good promise!

Well, maybe not so good for an Ork or Troll. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Why do you say that? If anything I'd think that the military woudl still be a damn good deal for "financially disadvantaged" peoples in 2070.

Now if you wanted to join the Seattle Metroplex Guard....

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 26 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

It isn't that trogs are financially-challenged. It is more because they are extended lifespan-challenged. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Apr 26 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Duuuh! Forgot all about that.

That certainly makes a 20 year contract sound a lot less interesting, especially for the almost comically short lived ork.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.