IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Non-martial arts, tricks and stunts for non-martial skills.
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,320

The new martial arts rules are pretty cool. But the one thing I don't like about them is that they give melee characters an extra level of depth that other character types don't have. Also, there are neat things I'd like to do with certain skills that the rules aren't there for.

So I thought: why not use the martial arts rules as a base to customize other types of skills as well?
Non-martial arts.

The idea is there will be several categories of "arts" in addition to martial, such as "matrix arts", "social arts" and the like. They work the same, you take a level in a school of that art as a 5 point advantage, and get a bonus from that school's list and access to purchase up to two of that arts "maneuvers."

I'm hoping for a lot of opinions and ideas on this: It's a big job. I'm going to toss out what I've got and see what you think. If you've got any ideas of your own, please add them. In the end I hope to create a document containing all the finished arts and get it hosted somewhere.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Jun 4 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

Count me as interested.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 4 2008, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

sounds like a reasonable enough suggestion. not sure the social arts need even *more* dice, but certainly i think it would be nice to have something to distinguish the people who really truly have developed their skill into an art, and those who just do a job, for example.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 03:25 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Matrix arts

Maneuvers:

Attack on the fly:
The character may make an attack against an agent or persona in cybercombat without having an attack utility loaded. Roll cybercombat+ programming instead of cybercombat + attack. The attack has no base damage, but net hits add damage as normal.

Defend on the fly:
The character can use their programing ability to shore up their defenses. The character makes an interrupt action similar to full defense to add their programming skill to the matrix damage resistance test.

Signal proxy:
If a character suspects they will be traced, this maneuver allows them to make a single redirect trace action in advance of their accessing a node. Hits add to a trace attempt's threshold as normal.

Two pronged exploit:
A character with this maneuver can open 2 copies of an attack program and attack with both, splitting their dice pool between the two attacks. The attacks may be made against separate targets for an additional -2 to both attacks.

Productive schitzophrenia:
The character can split their attention effectively even in full VR, allowing him to effectively focus his attention on two nodes at once.

Late night programming:
Through good coding practices or simple lack of better things to do, the character codes quickly. Halve the intervals for programming skill checks.

Optimized code:
The character knows how to get the most out of a system's resources, provided they can tweak all the code running on it. If a character with this maneuver wrote every program currently running on the system himself, including the system and firewall, increase the response rating by 1.

Spam attack:
The character overwhelms a target with viral ads, pop-ups, and spam. They make a hacking+spoof check with a threshold equal to their target's firewall. Each hit gives the target a -1 AR penalty (as per p. 208 BBB), up to -3.
This attack fools a commlink into letting the spam through, but does not hack the commlink itself. The node gets no chance to detect the attack.

Schools of hacking

Old school hacking:
The preferred school of most of the older generation of hackers, who insist that if you can't program you aren't really a hacker at all.
+1 die when using programs you coded yourself.
+1 DV when attacking with programs you coded yourself
+1 die to programming

Cyber-duelist:
These hackers specialize in taking out other hackers. Deulists tend towards high egos, and tend to forgo subtle hacks in favor of a "attack prgorams blazing" strategy.
+1 DV against Persona
+1 die to matrix perception checks in hot-sim

Net-Witches:
These script-kiddies are the latest generation of hackers. They tend to let their agents (which they call familiars) do the grunt work, and remain in AR rather than go full immersion. The few that can program tend to write the code for the rest, and are referred to as source-erors.
+1 die to matrix perception in AR
+1 die on reality filter checks.
+1 die on checks made by agents to understand orders.

Pirate:
Information should be free is the mantra of these hackers. Open source is great, but too many good tools are proprietary, and who has time to code from scratch?
+1 die on data search checks to locate pirated programs or media.
+1 die to crack copy protection.
-1 threshold on decryption checks.

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Jun 4 2008, 03:31 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

It sounds like a cool system, and I'm always interested in cool systems.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Vehicular arts

Maneuvers

Crazy Ivan:
The character may make a break away action from close range instead of long range. Add 1 to the threshold of this stunt. If successful, the character immediately moves to long range. Only one break away check of the three required to get away may be a Crazy Ivan.

Break Lock:
If a vehicle is locked onto with active sensor targeting, the pilot with this maneuver can attempt to break the lock. Make a vehicle stunt with a threshold equal to the targeting vehicle's sensor rating. Success breaks the target lock.

Chicken:
By voluntarily making a crash check against a threshold the character chooses, he may force every pursueing vehicle in chase combat to make a crash check against the same threshold.

Eat dust:
The character can maneuver to create a dust cloud, knock fruit carts over, or otherwise make the terrain behind them less passible than a moment ago. The character makes a vehicle stunt. Success increases the terrain's difficulty by 1 level for vehicles pursuing you for the remainder of the combat turn.

Dual targeting:
A rigger in full VR can target 2 weapons at once, splitting their dice pool as per 2 weapon fighting.

Piloting schools

Manual:
Some people still insist on piloting their vehicles the old fashioned way, with manual controls. Popular among bikers and adepts. Because they don't sense damage to their vehicles the same way, they can push their limits farther than many riggers.
-1 to vehicle thresholds when piloting a vehicle without DNI.
+1 die on non-gunnery attacks made from a moving vehicle.
+1 die on acceleration checks.

Pursuit:
This is the kind of offensive driving Law enforcement pursuit squads are trained in. It focuses entirely on being the pursuer in a chase.
+1 die on evasive driving.
+1 DV on ram checks
Requires 4 successful break away checks to lose instead of 3, in chase combat.

Street racer:
The art of getting maximum speed on city streets. Equal focus on going fast and on getting away from the inevitable police pursuit.
+1 die on acceleration checks (may be taken twice)
-1 threshold on break away stunts in chase combat.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Social arts

Maneuvers

Retort:
If the character successfully resists an attempt to persuade them socially, they may immediately follow their success up with a similar social roll of their own. Their net successes on the resistance roll are added as bonus dice to this roll.

Social Mining:
The character spends time in a social situation, talking to other people, gossiping, and subtly gathering information. The character smoozes with a social group in a social setting, making a Cha+etiquette check to learn information as per the data search skill on p. 220 BBB

Butter up:
The character may flatter, impress, attract or otherwise attempt to make the target more amenable to listen to what they have to say. The character makes an etiquette check as normal. Net Successes on this check provide bonus dice on a follow up Con or Negotiation roll.

Loose lips:
The character knows how to get someone to let slip information they meant to keep to themselves. During an etiquette or negotiation check, the character may choose to use hits to gather information instead of win the opposed roll. Hits spent this way do not count towards the opposed roll, but instead get the target to reveal specific information during the discourse. Use the target numbers for data search as a guide to how much information is revealed.

Hide a knife with a smile:
The player may hide their violent intent behind open and friendly body language. The character is essentially setting an ambush, only they substitute Con+Charisma on the surprise check.

Social Schools

Cold hand style:
This is the art of casual intimidation. Perfect self control is the hall mark of the style, as those who practice it are self-assured enough to not have to resort to the petty displays of common intimidation.
-The character may use intimidation in place of negotiation to resist negotiation checks.
-The character may force an opponent to use charisma instead of willpower to resist intimidation.
+1 die to composure checks.

Temptation:
The art of knowing what your target wants and offering it to them, for a price...
-The character may force their target to use willpower in place of charisma to resist con.
-The character may force their target to use willpower in place of charisma to resist negotiation.
+1 die to judge intention checks (may be taken twice)

Fast talker:
The art of saying things that make sense until you think about them too hard. Usually by that time, the fast-talk-artist is gone.
-The character may force their target to use logic in place of charisma to resist con.
-The character may force their target to use intuition in place of charisma to resist con.
+1 additional bonus die for possessing plausible evidence.

Carouser:
It's all about the boozing and the whoring.
-The character may resist intimidation with Charisma instead of willpower.
-The character gains +1 die to social checks when intoxicated. This may be taken twice. The first time essentially cancels out the penalty, the second time provides a net bonus of +1
+1 die to resist addiction.

Polite Hostess:
Often when dealing with others, it pays to be polite and subtle. Heavily favored among oriental socialites, cortesans and courtiers the world over.
-May resist negotiation with etiquette instead of negotiation.
+1 die to composure checks.
+1 die to judge intentions.

Guan-xi:
The art of using your contact network to it's fullest advantage. Used with the contact rules on p. 280 BBB
+1 die on networking checks
-When asking for a favor, reduce the effective level of the favor by 1.
-May use etiquette instead of negotiation when networking or asking for favors from contacts.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Jun 4 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

ok, thats pretty pimp right there, especially the vehicular arts. i'd recommend adding drift-style racing and aggressive urban traffic driving.

i could see this as being applied to ranged combat and spellcasting, too. shooters have a number of 'stances' that they use when in combat, and since so much of magic is based off of emotion, i'm sure there are 'frames of mind' that a mage can put themselves in before conjuring up a firebolt.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Movement Arts

Manuveurs

Breakfall roll:
The character adds their gymnastics skill to the roll to resist falling damage.

Spelunker:
The character is skilled at moving through small spaces, such as caverns, sewers or ductwork. With a complex action, the character may make and agilty + gymnastics roll, similar to running. Each hit adds 1 meter to their movement speed through ducts or other enclosed spaces.

Acrobatic charge:
The character may make a gymnastics check as part of a charge. If successful, they gain the superior postiion advantage as well as the bonus from the charge.

Wall-run:
When making an unassisted climbing check, if the character can get a running start they may substitute a running skill check for the first interval, gaining height as per the unassisted climbing rules. This is immediately followed by a jump check for height, adding that distance as well. Further climbing checks on following intervals are made as normal.

Kip up
The character is never prone unless they want to be. Moving from prone to standing is a free action.

Chicken
When running from pursuers, often moving someway they cannot follow is better than speed. The character may make a running, climbing, jumping or gymnastics check with a threshold they choose. If they succeed, any pursuers must make the same check with the same threshold to follow. If the character fails, though, they are caught.
(This works best if you use a modified version of the pursuit rules for on foot chases.)

Houdini:
The character may make an opposed Disguise or a palming check at the same time they make an escape artist check. If successful, they give no outward sign they have made an escape attempt. IF the attempt fails, it is not noticed. If it succeeds, the character is effectively free but still appears restrained.

schools of movement

Parkour:
The art of overcoming obstacles to one's path. Fluid and acrobatic movements allow traceurs to flow through any environment.
+1 die to land in a specific location after a jump.
+1 die to running checks in difficult terrain. May be taken twice.
-Threshold for unassisted climb upwards and climbing horizontally becomes distance in meters.

Gymnastic infiltration:
Uses flexibility, body control and athleticism to overcome typical B&E deterrents
-The character may use agilty + gymnastics to avoid tripwires or laser tripwires.
-Reduce the threshold to remove weight from a pressure pad by 1
-May use gymnastics in place of infiltration to defeat motion sensors.

[credit to dr. funrock, below]
Crowd-walking:
City crowds, nightclubs, and the like can be difficult to move through normally. Not so for the crowwalker, who can instinctively move through the momentary gaps that open up between people. This is the art of negotiating those crowds with haste or disappearing within them.
- The character's walking speed is unhindered by crowds of people.
+1 die on running checks through crowds.
+1 die on shadowing checks through crowds.
+1 die on perception checks in a crowded area.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 05:11 AM
Post #10

Running Target

I need a few more social maneuvers and a lot more piloting maneuvers, especially air or water based ones. A rigger school or two for air pilots would be nice. The movement arts needs a lot more work. I'm also thinking of technical arts, like the field mechanic who specializes in quick fixes and kitbashing, and the tinkerer who can fit more customizations into gear, and maybe the Macguyver who takes less penalties for lack of tools and materials. A few medic schools like EMS and Alternative medicine would also be in there.

An infiltration school that lets you use infiltration instead of perception to case a joint, and on various typical B&E checks that use other things right now would also be nice, I'm not sure what kind of art that would be though.

I'm specifically avoiding magical schools, because mechanically metamagics, mentors, and traditions cover all that jazz for magicians.

Anybody got any suggestions?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 4 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

one suggestion for movement would be for those adjusted for moving through crowds, there are those who can navigate it easier than others.

Hmmm... these are all very cool stuff, I like it alot.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Jun 4 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Jun 4 2008, 12:11 AM) *
I need a few more social maneuvers and a lot more piloting maneuvers, especially air or water based ones. A rigger school or two for air pilots would be nice. The movement arts needs a lot more work. I'm also thinking of technical arts, like the field mechanic who specializes in quick fixes and kitbashing, and the tinkerer who can fit more customizations into gear, and maybe the Macguyver who takes less penalties for lack of tools and materials. A few medic schools like EMS and Alternative medicine would also be in there.

i've got a book on air combat that i can grab a few manuvers out of, but i'll have to do it tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Jun 4 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

I am very impressed with the idea, and think you did a great job with the write up. They look awesome, and I look forward to being able to try them out.

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Jun 4 2008, 06:04 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Just realised that I once had the thought of writing some martial arts styles for military and police training styles. Let me dig that file up post what I had.

No maneuvers, but these are combat arts so there's a pretty big pool already. If anyone can come up with some specifically ranged combat focused manuevers though, that'd be cool.

Special Weapons & Tactics
Take aim becomes a free action.
Reduce called shot penalties by 1 (to a minimum of -1)
Reduce shooting in melee penalties by 1.
+1 dice pool on initiative rolls.

Police / Security Training
+1 dice pool on Clubs attacks.
Ready weapon is a free action.
+1 dice pool on Unarmed Subdual attacks.
Reduce shooting into melee penalties by 1.

Sniper Training
Reduce called shot penalties by 1.
Reduce range penalties by 1.
Increase maximum aimed shot bonus by 1 (this can be taken twice).

+Quote Post
Larme
post Jun 4 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

I'd be more in favor of eliminating martial arts than adding blankity blank arts. The idea that martial arts give you "oooOoo, special powers" is already fairly silly. The system should remain abstract, the more junk you add the harder it is to use and the easier it is to break.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jun 4 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jun 4 2008, 05:19 AM) *
one suggestion for movement would be for those adjusted for moving through crowds, there are those who can navigate it easier than others.

Hmmm... these are all very cool stuff, I like it alot.

Sharp Elbows
The character is experienced in moving in crowds, fashion store sales, rock concerts and other similar enviroments.

+1 to moving through crowded areas
-1 to infiltration/stealth tests in open areas

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Jun 4 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Larme @ Jun 4 2008, 02:16 AM) *
I'd be more in favor of eliminating martial arts than adding blankity blank arts. The idea that martial arts give you "oooOoo, special powers" is already fairly silly. The system should remain abstract, the more junk you add the harder it is to use and the easier it is to break.

It's a perfectly reasonable stance to take. The answer is; don't use martial arts. They're an optional rule anyway. The point of this thread isn't to try to "fix" martial arts, it's about us going "Hey, this is awesome, what else can we do with it?"

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jun 4 2008, 02:35 AM) *
Sharp Elbows
The character is experienced in moving in crowds, fashion store sales, rock concerts and other similar enviroments.

+1 to moving through crowded areas
-1 to infiltration/stealth tests in open areas

"moving through" is too broad. Make it +1 to Running rolls in crowds.
Also, this is 4th ed we're talking about. Martial Arts aren't a package of matched bonuses and penalties, so drop the -1.
The idea is that you have 4 bonuses you can buy, for 5 Build Points each.

let's try this:
Face In The Crowd
Ignore up to -2 in penalties to Running rolls for moving through crowds.
+1 to Shadowing rolls in crowded areas.
Ignore up to -1 in penalties for Perception tests made in crowded areas.
Ignore 1 point of Spam Zone penalties for excessive AR clutter.

Might be a little underpowered as is. I guess we just have to define crowds as any busy city street... with the standard urban sprawl type setting that would make it very useful.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jun 4 2008, 08:09 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 948

Just a bunch of ideas, feel free to modify

Jury Rigging
The character is experienced in make quick-fixes and add-ons that are not originally intended for such use.

+1 to vehicle modification tests
+1 modification slot on vehicles

Tinkerer
The tinkerer is an expert in miniaturization and drones
+1 Modification slot on drones
+1 to drone modification tests

Expert Gunsmith
The gunsmith knows how to squeeze in just that little bit more…
+1 to firearms modification tests
+1 modification slot

Expert Weaponsmith
The weaponsmith knows everything there is about melee weapons and how to make them…
+1 to melee weapon modification tests
+1 modification slot

Bomb Disposal Expert
+1 to defusing tests (Can be taken twice)
+1 to improvised explosives (Can be taken twice)

The Mad Bomber
+1 to using improvised explosives(Can be taken twice)
+1 to commercial explosives (Can be taken twice)

Industrial Explosives Expert
+1 to Cratering and Breaching (Can be taken twice)
+1 to demolitions tests using commercial explosives (Can be taken twice)
+1 when using it in buildings

Military Explosives Operative
+1 to cratering and breaching
+1 plastic explosives (Can be taken twice)
-2 defusing tests

Emergency Doctor
+1 on First Aid skill
-1 on Medicine skill

+Quote Post
Iota
post Jun 4 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 16,020

Just wanted to say that this is one of the most wonderful ideas i`ve heard.

This is a great opportunity for experienced characters to further improve their skills and becoming unique.

Go on pls !

+Quote Post
Faelan
post Jun 4 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,466

This looks really sweet.

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Jun 4 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #21

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

Looks really good. I like how it brings additional options to areas of the game that are less developed rule-wise (i.e. vehicles, movement, social).

However, I think it might be better to turn some of the simpler Maneuvers into just regular standard actions that anyone with the appropriate skill(s) can use. To me, it seems a little costly BP wise to make someone purchase a Style and the Maneuver before they can even attempt to try things like the Chicken Maneuver (for Movement Arts) or Social Mining.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 4 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #22

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Agreed with the above. This is great work. I'll spend a little time on it when I'm not at work but keep up the good work.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jun 4 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

I like the Social Arts!!! Combat (magical or mundane) is covered in ridiculous detail in every RPG but charisma skills always get brushed away or minimized. Very cool!

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 4 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Yeah, The social arts just kinds came together when I looked at the table and said "you resist what with what now?" Rather than strait adding to dice pools, I really got into being able to target your social-fu at a specific weak stat for your opponent.

As for turning maneuvers into standard actions: There are quite a few combat maneuvers that argument stands for as well. You're certainly more than welcome to allow anyone to do them. I'm stuck in a few dilemmas about that, however. One is that I'm short for manuveurs to begin with. I'd like at least 8 maneuvers for each type of art, otherwise a maxed level 4 art doesn't get you much. Another is I don't want the manuveurs to simply add bonus dice to certain kinds of checks. That's what the special abilities of the various schools do. Maneuvers should give you new ways to use your skill.

I like crowd-surfing as an art. I'm going to add my take on it to the movement arts.

Houdini seems a little out of place where it is. I'm certain that escape artistry and sleight of hand are movement arts, but I need more for them. At least enough to make a 2 level school out of it.

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Jun 4 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Jun 4 2008, 12:42 PM) *
Yeah, The social arts just kinds came together when I looked at the table and said "you resist what with what now?" Rather than strait adding to dice pools, I really got into being able to target your social-fu at a specific weak stat for your opponent.

That was the part that made me go "Dude, awesome!" in my worst Keanu Reaves voice. I love the idea of giving a characterful benefit that doesn't just come as yet another dice pool bonus. This is a good model to apply in general, as it lets people play to their strengths, or their enemies weaknesses, without just making DICE POOL OF DOOM!

I also note that you haven't allowed anyone to swap in Logic for anything (except for forcing the opponent to resist on it), which is good since Logic is the only mental stat that can be cybered. Allowing people to swap it in on their own tests would be rather broken.

Finally, quick thought on your edits to my edits of the crowd style; I deliberately avoided giving an actual bonus to Running in crowds, because Running adds directly to the number of metres a character covers in a turn. By making it a bonus, you make it so that the guy actually speeds up when there's people around him. I think there needs to be the assumption that this is only a way of buying off penalties, not of actually getting faster, because the aim of the style is clearly that this person is less impeded by crowds of people.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.