IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What good is a shop, 8k buys your a shop what now?
Cadmus
post Jun 20 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,304

Ok heres the question, for 8k you can generaly buy a shop. it can be a gunshop a drone shop a eletronic shop ect.. ok what now? heres the thing, I am assuming its like a workshop of some sort with the correct tools required for that line of work., ok, now what good does it do me in game? Will we save money on gear? time? ect.

that is my question, I'm asking becouse I have char's both in normal games as well as SRM games that at times own a shop of what ever type fits what that char does, and I'm wondering ok what are the advanages of this now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 20 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

You can repair things without having to go through a fixer.

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Jun 20 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 20 2008, 02:39 AM) *
You can repair things without having to go through a fixer.

So no bounses beyond that? bummer, for the amount of danger of having such a fixed location just basic repair dosn't seem worth it realy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 20 2008, 07:46 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

It does not give you a bonus. It removes penalties. Some work cannot be done at all without appropriate tools, and everything else is more difficult without. That is more than enough reason to have one.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 20 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Well, there are some modifications or builds that you only want to trust yourself (And maybe a few choice with.) rather than farming it out to "Bob the Builder" or "Felix the Fixer" who then outsources it to "Bob the Builder".

Or, alternatively, you get a couple of them, a secure facility, and you have a reason for retirement, or semi-retirement. You become a Shadowtech for the Fixers having Shadowrunners bring their stuff to you for fixing/modification/building.

Safer than 'Running! Allows you to keep fed between 'Runs, too.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 20 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #6

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

There are also modifications which require a Shop to do.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 20 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

A "shop" doesn't have to be in a fixed location, it can be inside a van or any other vehicle big enough. The facility is fixed though (I really like Arsenal's "Cleanup Operation" which can be bought as a kit, a shop... or a facility.)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 20 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

OK, what good is a Shop?

Fine, I'll tell you! You get a bunch of Automotive Shops, put them in a Warehouse somewhere, and, BOOM! Chop Shop!

You can move from the dangerous lifestyle of Shadowrunning to the safer and more sedate life of Americar Boosting!

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 20 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #9

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Check out the Build/Repair rules on p. 125 for more information, too. Most of those modifiers are penalties for not having the appropriate working space or tools. A shop would at least remove some of those penalties providing you with some sort of working environment and hopefully adequate tools for the job. And, as others have mentioned above, the weapon/vehicle modification rules in Arsenal rely heavily on having the appropriate facility to perform some modifications.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Jun 20 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

a Medical "shop" functions as an R8 medpack, when used by a properly trained medtech.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 20 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

My current TM has an facility in the basement of the house he lives in in the barrens he shares the house with an arms dealer and in down time mods out weapons for some income. with the help of a small gang of gun totting friends for security.

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jun 20 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

How the hell did you afford 100 Grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) on a technomancer...and the build/karma for Armorer? I refuse to believe you are really a technomancer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Kithran
post Jun 20 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 2,345

As far as I'm concerned a shop _can_ give you a bonus is the right circumstances. When making modifications to something (e.g. a gun using armourer), the tables in Arsenal give you the tools needed for the job. If a job says Kit then using a shop shold give a +1 modifier for superior tools and using a facility would give a +2 modifier for superior tools. Conversely I'd say adding the plasteel/composite components (useually requires facility) would attract a -2 modifier for inadequate tools if you used a shop and a -4 modifier for unavailable tools if you used a kit.

Kithran

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 20 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-...ects-271354.php

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wood-Shop-Projects/

http://gadgets.fosfor.se/the-top-10-weirdest-case-mods/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Knex-Time-...intervalometer/

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects.asp

http://www.hometime.com/

With a gun shop, you can made a gun from scratch.

I think the better question is "what good isn't a shop". Send a few hours surfing Instructibles and DIY network for some good ideas.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Jun 20 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Doesn't Arsenal have some rules on tools giving bonuses? Hmm, they might just the opposite of the penalty for attempting a skill without the tools. Off the top of my head I'm not sure.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 20 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (Drogos @ Jun 20 2008, 05:03 PM) *
How the hell did you afford 100 Grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) on a technomancer...and the build/karma for Armorer? I refuse to believe you are really a technomancer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Well with a few basic CFs at one and one resinoce he is a TM just one so bad he operates in offline mode a lot unless in his nice safe house. I got hit by black IC and is scared shit less of that happening again until he gets better with his skills. Its a RP biuld if i want big DPs adept would have been a much nice choice.

+Quote Post
HeavyMetalYeti
post Jun 20 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,968

Who has more pride in their ride? The prep who’s daddy bought them the BMW or the greaser who built his POS from scratch. The same could be said in SR.

“If you don’t change your own oil, you’re not a biker, you’re a poser.�

Plus you got to look at the fact that having a shop allows you to “create� custom items that may not be available on the market, black or grey.

With a couple different “antique� lathes, a press or two and a CNC machine; you could nearly mass produce your own weapon line.

H.M.Y. SM-SG 7P / 9P(f)---Damage -1 / +5---AP SA/BF/FA---Mode 2(3)---RC 30 ©---Ammo ï¿¥2,000---Cost

The Heavy Metal Yeti Sub-Machine Shot-Gun fires like an HK, hits like a Mossberg.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 20 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

i'd rather have it be like a Franchi SPAS-22 with Full Auto option and maybe some more Recoil Compensation . . Mossberg is for sissies ._.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 20 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

The ability to build your own firearms is also advantageous for making your own disposable weapons with no history behind them. Build 'em, use 'em, drop 'em in smelter, have a nice day.

For vehicles, it's great for making your own smuggling compartments, as well as wrenching your own engine to make her run like you want! Finally, great for fixing those bulletholes without bribing the Body Shop to not yell at the Star.

And, most importantly, the ability to brew your own, and not have to pay for beer!!!

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jun 20 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 20 2008, 07:28 PM) *
The ability to build your own firearms is also advantageous for making your own disposable weapons with no history behind them. Build 'em, use 'em, drop 'em in smelter, have a nice day.

For vehicles, it's great for making your own smuggling compartments, as well as wrenching your own engine to make her run like you want! Finally, great for fixing those bulletholes without bribing the Body Shop to not yell at the Star.

And, most importantly, the ability to brew your own, and not have to pay for beer!!!

Why waste all that work? Just make the weapon have a replaceable barrel and viola! A "new gun" for every run.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jun 21 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Or if you're less worried about the bullets being linked to the gun, sell the gun to make a buck.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jun 21 2008, 05:34 AM
Post #22

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...hehhehheh...demolitions shop...hehhehheh...Bust A Moves...hehhehheh...

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jun 21 2008, 06:22 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jun 21 2008, 01:34 AM) *
...hehhehheh...demolitions shop...hehhehheh...Bust A Moves...hehhehheh...

My SR GM in college (SR2 if you care) had an old character that was crazy. He was a dwarf demolitions expert who dressed up like Santa Claus and gave all the neighborhood kids "toys" that were set to go off after a while. Figured he was sending them to a better place.

Not exactly on topic but your post made me think of that.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jun 21 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...my character Leela would rig grenades with a radio detonator that bypassed the normal arming mechanism and then hand them to Serbian soldiers saying she found them while playing (the pin still "intact") After they patted her on the head and thanked her she scampered or skated away. Then from a safe distance sent a code to the detonator using her transducer/micro transceiver patch which armed the fuse.

...explosives are so much fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Jun 21 2008, 07:12 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

All great ideas guys, and ones I thought about, my main thing was the advanages that a shop had per the RAW primarly becouse I have char's both in my home games and one that I run in SRM games once a year at dragon con that owns a shop, Normal free wheeling stuff is easy to do since in a home game time and such are not as limited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) where at SRM games you have 4 hours and only X amount of time passes, but anumber of the ideas listed are cool. *psst* I will be um..creativly barrowing a few of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.