Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What good is a shop
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cadmus
Ok heres the question, for 8k you can generaly buy a shop. it can be a gunshop a drone shop a eletronic shop ect.. ok what now? heres the thing, I am assuming its like a workshop of some sort with the correct tools required for that line of work., ok, now what good does it do me in game? Will we save money on gear? time? ect.

that is my question, I'm asking becouse I have char's both in normal games as well as SRM games that at times own a shop of what ever type fits what that char does, and I'm wondering ok what are the advanages of this now?
Wounded Ronin
You can repair things without having to go through a fixer.
Cadmus
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 20 2008, 02:39 AM) *
You can repair things without having to go through a fixer.

So no bounses beyond that? bummer, for the amount of danger of having such a fixed location just basic repair dosn't seem worth it realy frown.gif

Muspellsheimr
It does not give you a bonus. It removes penalties. Some work cannot be done at all without appropriate tools, and everything else is more difficult without. That is more than enough reason to have one.
CanRay
Well, there are some modifications or builds that you only want to trust yourself (And maybe a few choice with.) rather than farming it out to "Bob the Builder" or "Felix the Fixer" who then outsources it to "Bob the Builder".

Or, alternatively, you get a couple of them, a secure facility, and you have a reason for retirement, or semi-retirement. You become a Shadowtech for the Fixers having Shadowrunners bring their stuff to you for fixing/modification/building.

Safer than 'Running! Allows you to keep fed between 'Runs, too.
DireRadiant
There are also modifications which require a Shop to do.
Blade
A "shop" doesn't have to be in a fixed location, it can be inside a van or any other vehicle big enough. The facility is fixed though (I really like Arsenal's "Cleanup Operation" which can be bought as a kit, a shop... or a facility.)
CanRay
OK, what good is a Shop?

Fine, I'll tell you! You get a bunch of Automotive Shops, put them in a Warehouse somewhere, and, BOOM! Chop Shop!

You can move from the dangerous lifestyle of Shadowrunning to the safer and more sedate life of Americar Boosting!
Dashifen
Check out the Build/Repair rules on p. 125 for more information, too. Most of those modifiers are penalties for not having the appropriate working space or tools. A shop would at least remove some of those penalties providing you with some sort of working environment and hopefully adequate tools for the job. And, as others have mentioned above, the weapon/vehicle modification rules in Arsenal rely heavily on having the appropriate facility to perform some modifications.
Daier Mune
a Medical "shop" functions as an R8 medpack, when used by a properly trained medtech.
Dumori
My current TM has an facility in the basement of the house he lives in in the barrens he shares the house with an arms dealer and in down time mods out weapons for some income. with the help of a small gang of gun totting friends for security.
Drogos
How the hell did you afford 100 Grand nuyen.gif on a technomancer...and the build/karma for Armorer? I refuse to believe you are really a technomancer biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Kithran
As far as I'm concerned a shop _can_ give you a bonus is the right circumstances. When making modifications to something (e.g. a gun using armourer), the tables in Arsenal give you the tools needed for the job. If a job says Kit then using a shop shold give a +1 modifier for superior tools and using a facility would give a +2 modifier for superior tools. Conversely I'd say adding the plasteel/composite components (useually requires facility) would attract a -2 modifier for inadequate tools if you used a shop and a -4 modifier for unavailable tools if you used a kit.

Kithran
kigmatzomat
Doesn't Arsenal have some rules on tools giving bonuses? Hmm, they might just the opposite of the penalty for attempting a skill without the tools. Off the top of my head I'm not sure.
Dumori
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jun 20 2008, 05:03 PM) *
How the hell did you afford 100 Grand nuyen.gif on a technomancer...and the build/karma for Armorer? I refuse to believe you are really a technomancer biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well with a few basic CFs at one and one resinoce he is a TM just one so bad he operates in offline mode a lot unless in his nice safe house. I got hit by black IC and is scared shit less of that happening again until he gets better with his skills. Its a RP biuld if i want big DPs adept would have been a much nice choice.
HeavyMetalYeti
Who has more pride in their ride? The prep who’s daddy bought them the BMW or the greaser who built his POS from scratch. The same could be said in SR.

“If you don’t change your own oil, you’re not a biker, you’re a poser.�

Plus you got to look at the fact that having a shop allows you to “create� custom items that may not be available on the market, black or grey.

With a couple different “antique� lathes, a press or two and a CNC machine; you could nearly mass produce your own weapon line.

H.M.Y. SM-SG 7P / 9P(f)---Damage -1 / +5---AP SA/BF/FA---Mode 2(3)---RC 30 ©---Ammo ï¿¥2,000---Cost

The Heavy Metal Yeti Sub-Machine Shot-Gun fires like an HK, hits like a Mossberg.
Stahlseele
i'd rather have it be like a Franchi SPAS-22 with Full Auto option and maybe some more Recoil Compensation . . Mossberg is for sissies ._.
CanRay
The ability to build your own firearms is also advantageous for making your own disposable weapons with no history behind them. Build 'em, use 'em, drop 'em in smelter, have a nice day.

For vehicles, it's great for making your own smuggling compartments, as well as wrenching your own engine to make her run like you want! Finally, great for fixing those bulletholes without bribing the Body Shop to not yell at the Star.

And, most importantly, the ability to brew your own, and not have to pay for beer!!!
ludomastro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 20 2008, 07:28 PM) *
The ability to build your own firearms is also advantageous for making your own disposable weapons with no history behind them. Build 'em, use 'em, drop 'em in smelter, have a nice day.

For vehicles, it's great for making your own smuggling compartments, as well as wrenching your own engine to make her run like you want! Finally, great for fixing those bulletholes without bribing the Body Shop to not yell at the Star.

And, most importantly, the ability to brew your own, and not have to pay for beer!!!

Why waste all that work? Just make the weapon have a replaceable barrel and viola! A "new gun" for every run.
Sir_Psycho
Or if you're less worried about the bullets being linked to the gun, sell the gun to make a buck.
Kyoto Kid
...hehhehheh...demolitions shop...hehhehheh...Bust A Moves...hehhehheh...
ludomastro
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jun 21 2008, 01:34 AM) *
...hehhehheh...demolitions shop...hehhehheh...Bust A Moves...hehhehheh...

My SR GM in college (SR2 if you care) had an old character that was crazy. He was a dwarf demolitions expert who dressed up like Santa Claus and gave all the neighborhood kids "toys" that were set to go off after a while. Figured he was sending them to a better place.

Not exactly on topic but your post made me think of that.
Kyoto Kid
...my character Leela would rig grenades with a radio detonator that bypassed the normal arming mechanism and then hand them to Serbian soldiers saying she found them while playing (the pin still "intact") After they patted her on the head and thanked her she scampered or skated away. Then from a safe distance sent a code to the detonator using her transducer/micro transceiver patch which armed the fuse.

...explosives are so much fun. grinbig.gif
Cadmus
All great ideas guys, and ones I thought about, my main thing was the advanages that a shop had per the RAW primarly becouse I have char's both in my home games and one that I run in SRM games once a year at dragon con that owns a shop, Normal free wheeling stuff is easy to do since in a home game time and such are not as limited smile.gif where at SRM games you have 4 hours and only X amount of time passes, but anumber of the ideas listed are cool. *psst* I will be um..creativly barrowing a few of them smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012