Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NERPS cards
paws2sky
post Jul 7 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,229

Does anyone have a full list of what NERPs cards are available? I think I heard there are 12 total.

Also, I have some duplicates, so if anyone wanted to do some trading... shoot me a PM.

-paws
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jul 7 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Complete List:

Universal Pass
Trideo Static
I Know this Lock
Look, Jet Black
I Summon Thee
Ka-Boom
Spammer
Gang Slapped
Finger of Fate
Bad Karma
Fame
I Know a Guy

Note: These cards are only available at Origins and GenCon. (At least that's what is printed on them.) If you didn't get to Origins and want these cards, I'd recommend going to GenCon or find someone who is going to be there. You get the cards for playing in CGL events, booth demos, etc.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 7 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

Moved thread to main SR forum, since these weren't a Missions specific item.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 7 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #4

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

What are these and what do they do?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 7 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

These are cards that Catalyst passed out to players at Origins last weekend, and will be passing again at GenCon Indy. Players received them for playing in CGL sponsored games and demos.

At any of our events, except the tournament, players could use them to trigger specific effects, once per scenario. Players were allowed to pick out up to three cards, if they had collected them, prior to the game starting. They could then use each of them once per game. Frex - Playing "I Know this Lock" allows a character to successfully pick one lock, regardless of skills and threshold.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 7 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

I really want these cards. They'd so help a game out at times!

+Quote Post
Cgarybdis
post Jul 7 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,098

NERPS cards? I thought NERPS was just some house-rules that a few players put together, 10+ years ago...?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 7 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

NERPS is the generic "Ultra-Consumerism" item that has been advertised in Shadowrun since the begining. It's the thing you just gotta have, it's great for everything, even Dragons use it, and so on.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 7 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #9

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (the_dunner @ Jul 7 2008, 01:27 PM) *
At any of our events, except the tournament, players could use them to trigger specific effects, once per scenario. Players were allowed to pick out up to three cards, if they had collected them, prior to the game starting. They could then use each of them once per game. Frex - Playing "I Know this Lock" allows a character to successfully pick one lock, regardless of skills and threshold.

The way the cards are used may change based on what happens when 18+ cards are used during a 4 hour Missions scenario. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 7 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #10

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

Yeah, at Origins the "three cards" thing was quickly reduced to one, and you had to pick the one you were bringing to the table before play started.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 7 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

OK, I want these cards just as bad as I want real NERPS!

+Quote Post
tweak
post Jul 8 2008, 04:07 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,622

Nice. I signed up for one SR Mission game at GEN CON. Will these be passed out at the SR Mission games as well?

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Jul 8 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,304

any chance these or something like them will be done at Dragon con this year?

+Quote Post
Raven Bloodeyes
post Jul 8 2008, 05:10 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 15,540

Any chance of waiting a few monthes and then putting up a pdf of them up as a freebie on www.shadowrun4.com??

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 8 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #15

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Any chance of them come to the UK any time soon?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 8 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (tweak @ Jul 8 2008, 12:07 AM) *
Nice. I signed up for one SR Mission game at GEN CON. Will these be passed out at the SR Mission games as well?

If it's a Mission game run by Catalyst Game Labs, then yes.
QUOTE (Cadmus @ Jul 8 2008, 12:25 AM) *
any chance these or something like them will be done at Dragon con this year?

At this stage of the game, that's looking a touch unlikely. Possibly for next year.
QUOTE (Raven Bloodeyes @ Jul 8 2008, 01:10 AM) *
Any chance of waiting a few monthes and then putting up a pdf of them up as a freebie on www.shadowrun4.com??

There aren't any plans in that direction. This really is intended as something for the folks who can make it to the big conventions.
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jul 8 2008, 02:39 AM) *
Any chance of them come to the UK any time soon?

I don't believe Catalyst has any plans to attend any UK cons "soon."

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 8 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #17

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/bull...ERPSCards01.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/bull...erpsCards02.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/bulldrek/NerpsBack.jpg

Not the best pics, I admit, but it's as good as I can get with my crappy little camera and my shaky hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jul 8 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #18

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Now my SR TCG cards have a gruelling fate in their future... Thanks bull.

+Quote Post
Jackstand
post Jul 8 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,298

Yar... If only Gen Con had not left us!

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 8 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

@Bull: those are actually pretty good shots. Thanks.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Jul 8 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I must possess them all!

Don't know how I'm gonna do that on my budget, but I must!

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 8 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #22

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

The one thought that struck me (And I had thought I'd posted with the pics) was that this struck me as very reminiscent of the Hackmaster/Knights of the Dinner Table Player Advantage Coupons, and the "Coupon Wars" that broke out in a recent storyline (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A local friend won a set of these at Origins, and he and a couple others thought they'd be funny and spring those on the GM. But they accidentally let slip that they had these cards, but wouldn't tell him what they were, so he wisely asked me. They were quite disappointed when Shawn refused them in game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Should have been running a Missions event! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyways, for those that may not be able to read the text on the cards, he's a rundown:

Finger of Fate - Fate grants you a boon. You may turn 1 die that shows a one to a six.
I Summon Thee! - You gain 1 extra hit on a summing test at no cost.
Fame! - Your reputation proceeds you. Take a surprise action when your opponents realize who they're dealing with.
Universal Pass - You have a pass that can be used to safely cross any border and counts for all characters traveling together.
Earth Shattering Ka-Boom - You found 2 kilograms of Rating 15 Plastic Explosives and 1 detonator.
Trideo Static - One virtual recording of your character is scrambled and cannot be viewed.
Bad Karma - You can change a single six to a one on any die roll made against your character.
I Know This Lock - You can open one electronic lock because you know its passcode.
Spammer - Thousands of ads for performance-enhancing drugs causes any trace program to lose track of you.
Look! Jetblack! - Usable when encountering security forces. They become distracted, allowing you to escape.
I Know a Guy... - You have access to a fence who will pay full price for one item acquired during the 'run.
Gang Slapped - A gang owes you a favor. They'll help you out in a social test. (+2 dice pool bonus)

I played in two missions games and got Universal Pass and Earth Shattering Ka-Boom. I got a full set via super sekret methods, but I'm keeping those seperate. Figure it's only fair to only use the cards I got for the Missions games, for my Missions games at Gen Con.

Universal Pass came in really handy for my first missions game, since Manhattan Island is a restricted area thanks to the corp group that runs the joint. Our first GM (Aaron, from the boards here) was cackling madly like the Evil GM he is when Caine_Hazen and I tried to take Caine's bigass Rigger Truck and my 500 pounds of illegal hard- and cyberware packed on a 250 pound frame into the city. Then I slapped that bad boy down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I didn't end up using either of my cards in game two (I choose the Pass), as we had a face character this time around who was able to get us in with no fuss, so I held on to it Just In Case. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

Gen Con should be interesting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 8 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #23

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 8 2008, 08:04 AM) *
Now my SR TCG cards have a gruelling fate in their future... Thanks bull.

Heh. you're welcome! Though I think most of those pics are from commons, so... if you're collections anything like mine, you likely have several dozen of some of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

Though, at the very least, this could make for a neat reward mechanism for a home game. Give out "One time use" cards as rewards at the end of games or story arcs. Though see my comment about the "Coupon Wars" in KoTD. It was silly, yes, but such a thing is easily imagined with the right players (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hell, I'm tempted to just choose my "Earth Shattering Ka-Boom" card at each Gen Con Missions game I play in, just to stockpile some C-15 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (Jackstand @ Jul 8 2008, 08:24 AM) *
Yar... If only Gen Con had not left us!

You know, Indy isn't all THAT far away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jul 8 2008, 08:32 AM) *
@Bull: those are actually pretty good shots. Thanks.

Thanks. The flash washed the cards out a bit, and I have a very shaky hand. I took a handful of each shot, and chose the least blurry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I went ahead and posted the text anyways, to help folks out.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 8 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Now I really, really, really want these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

And have no chance of getting to any major Con at any time in any kind of future. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 8 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #25

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Cgarybdis @ Jul 7 2008, 01:38 PM) *
NERPS cards? I thought NERPS was just some house-rules that a few players put together, 10+ years ago...?

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 7 2008, 01:39 PM) *
NERPS is the generic "Ultra-Consumerism" item that has been advertised in Shadowrun since the begining. It's the thing you just gotta have, it's great for everything, even Dragons use it, and so on.

Missed these the first time around somehow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

CanRay's got the right of it, though I know what Cgary is thinking of. The old ShadowRN mailing list had a sister list that was called NERPS, which stood for "Net Enhancements for Role Playing Shadowrun". They basically did a handful projects for Shadowrun stuff. I'm not entirely certain if that stuff is still even hosted today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.