> new to SR4, how to catch up with new edition
Torden_s_claw
post Jul 14 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,144

hey chummers

I was an avid player of SR2 and SR3 editions. Since my GM left to Canada I started to GM some games but my fellow players also left Venezuela or got married and we stopped playing RPG in general. That was back in 2001 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Now I'm married also with a baby girl (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif) but found SR4 and I like to know how to get the filling (what to read, where in the net find it and in what order read it) of the new version since in Venezuela there is foreign exchange control ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) = Zero ) and I cannot buy books via Amazon or FanPro sites (or anysite for that matter) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

Thanks a lot and happy running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Torden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
apple
post Jul 14 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

QUOTE (Torden_s_claw @ Jul 14 2008, 02:39 PM) *
(what to read, where in the net find it and in what order read it)

Welcome back to the best SR-edition ...

1) Buy the basic book, latest printing, download the errata
2) Buy Runner Heavens (for a campaign setting like Hong Kong)
3) Get a group and some dices. Pizza, Coke and some pens are helpful, too.
4) You will find some notable differences between previous editions and this edition: more matrix for everyone, easier rule system (which mean more GM decision), more international flavor.
5) If you like the 4th edition and if your group has chosen a campaign setting: start small, get a feeling for the rules, introduce the new matrix step by step etc
6) Buy more books, like Arsenal, Street Magic, Augmentation and Unwired, or additional campaign settings like Corporate Enclaves.

Where to buy the new edition if you cannot use amazon or other shop websites ... for that I cannot help you, sorry. http://www.shadowrun4.com/ has some links to webshops and additional material.

SYL

+Quote Post
Screamin Demon
post Jul 14 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,807

PDFs perhaps can substitute for the real thing for getting the feel of things.

My bad for mentioning a source of info. Maybe if we just ignore it it will go away? Point: I mentioned them, I don't think the above statement could be construed as advocating, but I really don't care enough about it to make a fuss.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 14 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

You mentioned you're located in... Venezuela?
Um, maybe someone at CGL could give you/us a line on where you could buy?

-paws

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jul 14 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Way to promote digital piracy there, bud.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jul 14 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Dumpshock Terms of Service)
5. No posts that contain pirated materials, requests for pirated materials, or advocacy of pirating are permitted.

This is a formal warning. Steer clear of discussions involved piracy of source books or other material.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 14 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

The Quick Start Rules are a free and legal download.

And nominated for awards.

And serve as a wonderful introduction, and can be used to start a game.

+Quote Post
reepneep
post Jul 15 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,951

Runner Havens seconded. They have a writeup on Caracas that was allot of fun. I'm trying to steer my campaign there now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jul 16 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

Thirded.

Runner Havens might be my favorite SR suppliment since Shadowbeat. The Hong Kong stuff alone would have made the book worth double what I paid for it, and the updated treatment of Seattle and the other location snapshots are just gravy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.