IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberlimbs and turrets and vehicles, oh my!, Random questions...
FlashbackJon
post Aug 5 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,962

1) Can a weapon with Pilot and a Propulsion system (considered a drone by the flavor text) take drone-related modifications such as, say, Gecko Tips? What about a Drone Hand?

1a) Is a drone weapon with the crawling upgrade agile enough to, say, aim itself? What if the rigger were "jumped in"?

2) How do partial limb modular attachments work with in full cyberlimbs in regards to capacity? If I have a full obvious cyberarm (15) and I attach a lower arm attachment (say, the grapple hand), how much capacity do I have left? 5 (that is, obvious full cyberarm capacity, minus obvious lower cyberarm capacity)?

2a) Related: the raptor cyberlegs are the only attachments that have any capacity of their own, correct? No putting retractable climbing claws in my aforementioned grapple hand?

3) Generic: If vehicles come with a "standard upgrade" that modifies one of their stats (i.e., engine customization), are we to assume that modification is included in their stats?

3a) Specific: The Tata Hotspur has engine customization, which can be taken once for Speed and once for Accel - which one is then available to me for additional modification?

4) Seating: some vehicles mention it, others don't. Are we just supposed to wing it?

5) Can a manual driver (that is, a non-rigger) fire a remote controlled turret, so long as he has the IPs to do it? Is there any penalty for that?

6) Are internal and concealed turrets supposed to represent the pop-up turrets of yesteryear?

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I have more, in particular a collection of Q's on the practical function of fake SINs and licenses, but I'll add those later once I've organized my thoughts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 5 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

My quick answers:
1) Can a weapon with Pilot and a Propulsion system (considered a drone by the flavor text) take drone-related modifications such as, say, Gecko Tips? What about a Drone Hand? No, it can take weapon modifications, it is a weapon which happens to have functionality similar to a drone.

1a) Is a drone weapon with the crawling upgrade agile enough to, say, aim itself? What if the rigger were "jumped in"? I'd say yes, but it has to take a simple action "take aim" to actually aim.

2) How do partial limb modular attachments work with in full cyberlimbs in regards to capacity? If I have a full obvious cyberarm (15) and I attach a lower arm attachment (say, the grapple hand), how much capacity do I have left? 5 (that is, obvious full cyberarm capacity, minus obvious lower cyberarm capacity)? Correct.

2a) Related: the raptor cyberlegs are the only attachments that have any capacity of their own, correct? No putting retractable climbing claws in my aforementioned grapple hand? Again, correct.

3) Generic: If vehicles come with a "standard upgrade" that modifies one of their stats (i.e., engine customization), are we to assume that modification is included in their stats? Yes.

3a) Specific: The Tata Hotspur has engine customization, which can be taken once for Speed and once for Accel - which one is then available to me for additional modification? Due to the amount that both speed and accel is higher than the other vehicles in its class, I'd say its had both done already.

4) Seating: some vehicles mention it, others don't. Are we just supposed to wing it? Yes

5) Can a manual driver (that is, a non-rigger) fire a remote controlled turret, so long as he has the IPs to do it? Is there any penalty for that? No, its a remote turret, you have to be somehow in the machine virtually (command program/jumped in/etc) to fire it. Thats what makes it 'remote'.

6) Are internal and concealed turrets supposed to represent the pop-up turrets of yesteryear? Yes.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 5 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

1) Hell yes. It´s inefficient enough at it is, so it´s all about flavour.

1a) There would IMO be a very seriously limited field-of-fire, but yes.

2) Staying consistent with little effort speaks for a detachment of the lower arms capacity. 20-12 = 8 for the upper arm, if memory serves.

2a) Yes.

3) Yes. Assume that the bonus of having (whatever cool) is reflected in the stats.

3a) The Tata Hotspur is double cool - it has both? (look at those stats)

4) Yep. Whatever floats your boat - cooperative gaming.

5) You are talking about a "armored manual" or "manual", plus"remote" combination - remote alone doesn´t do it. RAW.

6) No - See flexibility. RAW.

Edit: It took some time to answer, Tarantula was faster. Still, some deviations.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 5 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Awesome. Well, good news and bad news, anyhow - but answers are awesome.

2b) In optimized cyberlimbs, does the price modifier apply to all internal parts the way quality (alpha/beta/delta) multipiers do? Does this include modular attachments?

Re: 5) In previous editions, remote control meant the weapon could be fired from a console inside the vehicle - is there no equivalent to this?

5a) Can a manual driver use AR remote control to fire a remote controlled turret, so long as he has the IPs to do it? Is there any penalty for that?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 5 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Dragon

2b) In optimized cyberlimbs, does the price modifier apply to all internal parts the way quality (alpha/beta/delta) multipiers do? Does this include modular attachments? Yes

Re: 5) In previous editions, remote control meant the weapon could be fired from a console inside the vehicle - is there no equivalent to this? Command program

5a) Can a manual driver use AR remote control to fire a remote controlled turret, so long as he has the IPs to do it? Is there any penalty for that? Using a command program it could work.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 5 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Control inside the vehicle = armored manual controls.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 5 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ryu @ Aug 5 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Control inside the vehicle = armored manual controls.

Oh, I completely didn't get that from the way Arsenal describes it (or doesn't). So the question that follows, I suppose, is "can a meat-driver control his vehicle and fire manually controlled weapons provided he has the IPs to do so?"

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 6 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Oooo! New question.

7) Can a jumped-in smartlinked rigger benefit from a smartlinked turret?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 6 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Dragon

"can a meat-driver control his vehicle and fire manually controlled weapons provided he has the IPs to do so?" Yes, you need to spend 1 IP per turn driving though. (To remain in control.)

7) Can a jumped-in smartlinked rigger benefit from a smartlinked turret? I say yes. Jumped in rigger has to have sim module (covers the image link issue) and the turret has the smart link data to send.

+Quote Post
DMFubar
post Aug 6 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 12,279

On question 1 - It specifies in Arsenal under Propulsion System "Note that a weapon with a propulsion system still counts as a weapon in terms of modification, so it cannot profit from any drone or vehicle modifications." (Arsenal, pg 153). As to question 1a, it states under the pilot option that it is considered a drone in all respects, so with the proper software it can aim itself.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 8 2008, 06:14 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Right. Knew I read that somewhere.

Next up: genetics.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Permanent infusions: how exactly would a permanent infusion of, say, Endure work? Are we to assume they never asleep, or that after a while they simply hallucinate permanently? Or that the effects last for 5 days, after which the character sleeps for 24 hours, then 5 days, then 24 hours, etc?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 8 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

probably the last of those 3 options you listed there . . but i would not rule out the second option entirely . . now just think about what would happen if you were to combine that with sleep regulator and certain drugs O.o if someone were willing to combine those(is the electroshock alarm-clock-cyber still in there) they could churn out serious work-power . . 5 or 6 days of sleep for an enitre month?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 8 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #13

Dragon

I'd say the character would basically be screwed. Since its from when endure was injected, they'd soon never be able to pass the test. When they fail, they begin hallucinating (which would be permanent too). Since it never wears off, they'd never sleep.

I'd have to say sideways would be the one to get permanent. Implant a biomonitor, and you can think to access you status, and never worry about not knowing how you're doing. I might have to look into making a lucky type character (to ensure getting the 5 hits) who invests in it.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 8 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

In this case, I was looking at the Mysterious Cyberware negative quality, which offers a permanent infusion, plus a moderate addiction to a street drug of the GM's choice.

After reading the section of Augmentation on genetic infusions, it seems to imply that you get the "intended effects" without the negative ones, if the infusion becomes permanent. After all - this is the best possible result you can get with an infusion - you wouldn't think it would be worse than the standard infusion. But then, it never explicitly states it.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 8 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #15

Dragon

It does not state that. It says "The infusion integrated perfectly. The character gains the full effects of the infusion as ap ermanent modification at a cost of 0.4 essence"

That to me says good and bad, you get it all forever.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 8 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Sorry, I was referring the flavor text that describes the chart: "The best outcome is that the gene integrates perfectly in the genome and the character receives all of the intended benefits of the infusion as a permanent enhancement."

I'm not arguing with RAW, I just find it odd that the best result is worse than a average result.

EDIT: But you're right, Sideways is definitely the way to go - for this particular character, I'd just prefer the Athletics bonuses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 8 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #17

Dragon

It isn't worse. The average result is temporary, the best is permanent. How is that worse?

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 8 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

In this case, only that he's permanently hallucinating - which is specific to Endure. The others don't have such a painful drawback, so I guess my point isn't really valid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 26 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

REANIMATE!

9) Previous editions had rules for legit licenses. Is that still an option - particularly for SINners with 'ware?

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Aug 26 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I would like to know if what the elf chick on the cover of Runner's Companion has a cyberhand with a "bulk" modification. The reason I ask this is because there is at least 2 inches (5 cm) of metal past her wrist.

Also can you put things like a commlink or a datajack in a cyberhand? What about a nano-hive?

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 26 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 26 2008, 09:52 AM) *
Also can you put things like a commlink or a datajack in a cyberhand? What about a nano-hive?

I'd like confirmation on this too. I know this is possible, but initially I was under the impression that it still needed to be operated manually. Then, as I thought about it, it occurred to me that the cyberhand itself already has a DNI - is that sufficient to mentally run any equipment contained within?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 26 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (FlashbackJon @ Aug 26 2008, 07:55 AM) *
I'd like confirmation on this too. I know this is possible, but initially I was under the impression that it still needed to be operated manually. Then, as I thought about it, it occurred to me that the cyberhand itself already has a DNI - is that sufficient to mentally run any equipment contained within?

All cyberware capacities are interchangable. Cyberhand has a capacity of 4. Commlink takes 2, so yes it can fit. Datajack takes 1, so it'll fit too. Nanohive takes 2, so it could fit with either/or, but not all 3.

Lastly, I'd say if it would be DNI when implanted for essence, then when implanted for capacity it just "ties" in to the already implanted ware, and is still DNI.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 26 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

That's what I assumed. And, so as not to be lost, my actual Q:
QUOTE (FlashbackJon @ Aug 26 2008, 09:40 AM) *
9) Previous editions had rules for legit licenses. Is that still an option - particularly for SINners with 'ware?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 26 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #24

Dragon

SR4, 323, "Fake License: For those who don’t want to go through
the standard legal channels, a fake license can be obtained
for all kinds of restricted items (see Legality, p. 303) or activities
(hunting, concealed carry, spellcasting, etc.)—as appropriate
to the jurisdiction—can be obtained through the
black market"

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post Aug 26 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

So, do we have any information on the aforementioned "standard legal channels"?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.