Reply to this topicStart new topic
> types of addiction
dionysus
post Aug 8 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,764

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my search fu is too weak to find it.

On p247-248 in the BBB, the rules make a distinction between tests for physical addiction vs. mental addiction, but there don't seem to be rules (in BBB or Arse) for which drug is which. I'm perfectly content to work that out for myself, but is there a canon listing that I couldn't find?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Aug 8 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Ad-hoc ruling; unless specifically noted as not physically addictive, use both. Every substance or activity can be mentally addictive.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 9 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (dionysus @ Aug 8 2008, 09:28 PM) *
I'm perfectly content to work that out for myself, but is there a canon listing that I couldn't find?

No.

My suggestion for physically addictive substances in SR would be :

Bliss
Jazz
Kamikaze
Nitro
Novacoke
Betel
Hurlg
K10
Crimson Orchid
Pixie Dust

I wouldn't call that an exhaustive list, but it might be a start for further discussion.

When dealing with various types of addiction, also keep in mind that most substances (with a few exceptions, such as nicotine or crack) will cause mental addiction long before becoming physically addictive.

@ Heath : are there any substances in SR4 which are specifically noted as "not physically addictive"?
I can't recall any on top of my head, but the rules text on addiction tests, as well as common sense, suggest that there are some.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Aug 9 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 9 2008, 11:44 AM) *
@ Heath : are there any substances in SR4 which are specifically noted as "not physically addictive"?
I can't recall any on top of my head, but the rules text on addiction tests, as well as common sense, suggest that there are some.

You know, I swore there was one and that the special exception proved the existance of the general rule that all drugs in SR are physically addictive unless stated otherwise.

After checking through Arsenal and the BBB, I can't find a description that includes it. Guess there isn't a general rule, then.

Reminds me that there are so many fun drugs that I'm too risk-averse to have my characters take.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.