Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: types of addiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
dionysus
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my search fu is too weak to find it.

On p247-248 in the BBB, the rules make a distinction between tests for physical addiction vs. mental addiction, but there don't seem to be rules (in BBB or Arse) for which drug is which. I'm perfectly content to work that out for myself, but is there a canon listing that I couldn't find?
Heath Robinson
Ad-hoc ruling; unless specifically noted as not physically addictive, use both. Every substance or activity can be mentally addictive.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (dionysus @ Aug 8 2008, 09:28 PM) *
I'm perfectly content to work that out for myself, but is there a canon listing that I couldn't find?

No.

My suggestion for physically addictive substances in SR would be :

Bliss
Jazz
Kamikaze
Nitro
Novacoke
Betel
Hurlg
K10
Crimson Orchid
Pixie Dust

I wouldn't call that an exhaustive list, but it might be a start for further discussion.

When dealing with various types of addiction, also keep in mind that most substances (with a few exceptions, such as nicotine or crack) will cause mental addiction long before becoming physically addictive.

@ Heath : are there any substances in SR4 which are specifically noted as "not physically addictive"?
I can't recall any on top of my head, but the rules text on addiction tests, as well as common sense, suggest that there are some.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 9 2008, 11:44 AM) *
@ Heath : are there any substances in SR4 which are specifically noted as "not physically addictive"?
I can't recall any on top of my head, but the rules text on addiction tests, as well as common sense, suggest that there are some.

You know, I swore there was one and that the special exception proved the existance of the general rule that all drugs in SR are physically addictive unless stated otherwise.

After checking through Arsenal and the BBB, I can't find a description that includes it. Guess there isn't a general rule, then.

Reminds me that there are so many fun drugs that I'm too risk-averse to have my characters take.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012