IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Natural Magical Defences., How do Arcane Aresster adn Astral Hazing stack?
BRodda
post Aug 13 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,811

OK I'm working on a Witch Hunter NPC and I have some of the basics down, but I'm not sure how the rules will work on this. He is a Fomori Changeling and I'm not sure how Arcane Arrester stacks with Astral Hazing.

Arcane Arrester states that all forces and durations are 1/2.
Astral Hazing gives you a background count of 4.

So my question is a mage fires off a manaball spell at him at force 8. Does that mean that the strength gets dropped to 4 for the background count and then to 2 for the Arcane Arrester?

Also what happens when a spirit attacks? I know that the Astral Hazing will reduce the spirit's force by 4, but do I 1/2 the spirit's strength as it is tied to its force?

I wanted this guy to be someone that hunts down and kills mages, but this is getting a little ridiculous.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 13 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I'd say yes to both.

Force 8 hits the 4 background count, and drops to force 4, and then is halved by the arcane arrestor to 2.

(Note, the mage casting this would need a magic of 8 to cast a force 8 in a rating 4 background count).

Same with the spirit, -4 to force initially, then 1/2 force for all affects.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 13 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 13 2008, 02:07 PM) *
I'd say yes to both.

Force 8 hits the 4 background count, and drops to force 4, and then is halved by the arcane arrestor to 2.

(Note, the mage casting this would need a magic of 8 to cast a force 8 in a rating 4 background count).

Same with the spirit, -4 to force initially, then 1/2 force for all affects.

This guy is going to eat mages for lunch then. He is intended to be my counter to excessive magic use. You start flinging to much magic and piss some guys off enough then Hex (his name) will go and collect the bounty on your sorry head. Funny thing is that Astral Hazing is a negative quality, it gives me an addditional 15 MQP to play with to make him meaner.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 13 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Don't forget the magic resistance quality from the core book, thats another 4 resistance dice for magic.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Aug 13 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 13 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Don't forget the magic resistance quality from the core book, thats another 4 resistance dice for magic.

I checked, magic resistance and Arcane Arrester are not stackable. I figure if I dropped the force of the spells enough counterspelling will be mute. Besides this guy is going to have a ton of willpower and body.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.