Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Natural Magical Defences.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
OK I'm working on a Witch Hunter NPC and I have some of the basics down, but I'm not sure how the rules will work on this. He is a Fomori Changeling and I'm not sure how Arcane Arrester stacks with Astral Hazing.

Arcane Arrester states that all forces and durations are 1/2.
Astral Hazing gives you a background count of 4.

So my question is a mage fires off a manaball spell at him at force 8. Does that mean that the strength gets dropped to 4 for the background count and then to 2 for the Arcane Arrester?

Also what happens when a spirit attacks? I know that the Astral Hazing will reduce the spirit's force by 4, but do I 1/2 the spirit's strength as it is tied to its force?

I wanted this guy to be someone that hunts down and kills mages, but this is getting a little ridiculous.
Tarantula
I'd say yes to both.

Force 8 hits the 4 background count, and drops to force 4, and then is halved by the arcane arrestor to 2.

(Note, the mage casting this would need a magic of 8 to cast a force 8 in a rating 4 background count).

Same with the spirit, -4 to force initially, then 1/2 force for all affects.
BRodda
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 13 2008, 02:07 PM) *
I'd say yes to both.

Force 8 hits the 4 background count, and drops to force 4, and then is halved by the arcane arrestor to 2.

(Note, the mage casting this would need a magic of 8 to cast a force 8 in a rating 4 background count).

Same with the spirit, -4 to force initially, then 1/2 force for all affects.

This guy is going to eat mages for lunch then. He is intended to be my counter to excessive magic use. You start flinging to much magic and piss some guys off enough then Hex (his name) will go and collect the bounty on your sorry head. Funny thing is that Astral Hazing is a negative quality, it gives me an addditional 15 MQP to play with to make him meaner.
Tarantula
Don't forget the magic resistance quality from the core book, thats another 4 resistance dice for magic.
BRodda
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 13 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Don't forget the magic resistance quality from the core book, thats another 4 resistance dice for magic.

I checked, magic resistance and Arcane Arrester are not stackable. I figure if I dropped the force of the spells enough counterspelling will be mute. Besides this guy is going to have a ton of willpower and body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012