> Compromise, An attempt to find common ground
NightmareX
post Aug 24 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 23 2008, 11:49 AM) *
Well I'm very serious about it too. So can we put together our common complaints about 4th edition and start from there? See if we can create solutions that are generally appealing to both new and old communities.

* NAN treatment
* Tir treatment
* Technomancers
* Character creation
* Shadowslang
* Too much Wi-Fi
* better Vehicle integration

Please add or subtract from this list as you see fit.

Initially I would say my biggest issues are as follows:

Things that can be easily solved
* Lack of clarification/information on the world setting (which includes NAN and Tir treatment)
* Lack of shadowslang
* Cyberware as passe (not acceptable - this is a cyberpunk game)

Things that can kinda be solved
* WiFi inanity (to put it succinctly, why is there a computer in everything including my underwear? Why can the hacker take control of my cyberarm, and why does my non-smartlinked gun have a computer that can shut it down in it?)
* Vehicle integration (it would help - we don't even use Maneuver score)
* Edge (in that to kill anyone you essentially have to kill them a number of times equal to their edge score)

Things that can't easily be solved
* Technomancers (in the manner that they essentially are magical by the powers and fluff, and in the sense that they are somewhat overpowered)
* AI proliferation (why is every frikkin program waking up as an AI?)
* Dead plotlines
* Dead NPCs/institutions (ie Shadowland)

I don't have a major problem with character creation in this system, as noted.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited to add - This thread is not intended as yet another bitch session about 4th edition. It is not meant to tell people they are GMing or playing the game wrong, or to just say GM fiat or house rule everything. None of that is productive.

What this thread is intended for is to bring together the problems people have with 4th edition with an eye toward finding ways to work through them - whether that means correcting misconceptions, finding and addressing real problems, or whatever else between those extremes - with hope that Catalyst may take some notice in regards to future development so the maximum number of SR fans can enjoy at least part of SR4. Note I say future, because IMO invalidating existing SR4 material is unacceptable. We cannot however control what Catalyst does, but it is my hope that in coming to some sort of compromise on the issues brought up in this thread we can at least mute the continual flame wars over the subject here. I am, of course, not optimistic about that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Aug 24 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

I'd vote for "to much wi-fi" to be stricken from the list.

It's the best thing about 4th edition and I'm not alone in thinking that (see the "why Shadowrun" thread from a while back).

Not only does it make for a lot interesting game for the hacker but it actually has some future flavor, instead of a 1980's dial up vibe.

Plus think about it. Seriously. You're probably typing that with a cell phone that can surf the web and make videos in your pocket, a bluetooth headset on hand or in your ear, two USB keys in your pocket, an IPOD with more songs on it than your parents had in their entire music collection, a calculator in your backpack with at least some infrared linkup capability and that can solve problems you'd have needed a room full of PhDs to handle 20 years ago, you may have a laptop to boot, and a digital wristwatch that you wish could figure out to update itself when you change time zones.

And maybe later you'll go out geocaching.

And when they finally add some wireless funcitonality to the digital toasters they'll probably sell. Who wouldn't want to dial up a bagel in the morning?

http://images1.hdpi.com/product/Toastess_D...slice_TT389.jpg

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Aug 24 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

A couple comments: I'm all about more updates to the world, but I -like- the wifi and I don't think I miss the shadow slang. A lot of that stuff was originally used to avoid using real swears (because, you know, that's more threatening to our children than the fact that they're playing criminals). Now that swears are back in...

As far as cyberware being passe, I think that's fine too. "Count Zero" was written in 86 (re-reading it now) and a lot has changed since then. If we're not going to insist any more on the 80s "style", I think it's ok to re-evaluate the place of cyber. It's even fun to think of it as the consciously retro choice. And it's not like you don't have plenty of choices to zero out your essence using just cyber.

A friend and I have been arguing over the direction AI has been taking. His position is that he liked the old, undefinable, godlike nature of Deus et al. He thought that was what make them so scary and so fun to put into plots. We both like the Transhuman Space approach to AIs (where they're ubiquitous), but he feels that the Matrix loses some of its cachet if AI becomes just another persona. I'm on the fence, myself.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 24 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

Hm, let's take a look at that.

QUOTE (NightmareX @ Aug 24 2008, 10:08 AM) *
Initially I would say my biggest issues are as follows:

Things that can be easily solved
* Lack of clarification/information on the world setting (which includes NAN and Tir treatment)

After a five-year lapse in the timeline and only two fluff sourcebooks out, it should come as no surprise that SR4 has a less detailed background than previous editions.

* Lack of shadowslang

Basically, current shadowslang lacks three terms from previous editions : frag, drek and hoop.
As all of them are minced oaths that made me roll my eyes all the time when reading a SR sourcebook, i don't really miss them.
Might be just my bad manners, though.

* Cyberware as passe (not acceptable - this is a cyberpunk game)

Information on that is kinda contradictory.
There's a growing cyberfetishist scene and obvious cyberlimbs frequently appear on the streets.
Cybereyes are also extremely common.
Of course, bioware is viewed as less intrusive- because it is.

I view cyber as something common on the streets, where looking tough is an issue and no one has the money for fancy bioware.
Every thug in my game will be happy to have muscle replacement, dermal armor or wired reflexes.
And given the prices, all of those who are successfull thugs will have at least one of those implants as used ware.
Gangers with (partial) cyberlimbs are also a common sight imho.

The view of cyber as outdated is something i apply to an elitist crowd of upper-class fashion victims.
A bunch of middle management corp employees will not have obvious cyberware besides the eyes (datajacks from 10 years ago surgically removed), but will sport various bio enhancements, cerebral boosters, sleep regulators and tailored pheromones being the most common for those who can afford them.
Slimworm endosonts, hair growth biotech and silk skin are also extremely common- absolutely no one above middle lifestyle will look fat, bald and wrinkly unless they really don't care about it.

I think this interpretation comes closest to what the various statements about implants come down to.
I regard it as both consistent, flavourful and fitting for a cyberpunk game.

In fact, SR4 has the potential to be much more cyberpunk than ever before, as cyberware has finally become affordable.

Things that can kinda be solved
* WiFi inanity (to put it succinctly, why is there a computer in everything including my underwear? Why can the hacker take control of my cyberarm, and why does my non-smartlinked gun have a computer that can shut it down in it?)

The BBB is going too far here, agreed.

Here's how i handle it :

Every security-conscious person will avoid unnecessary wifi functionality, removing said components or replacing them with skinlinks.
On street level, my game also includes a lot of guns that never had wifi to begin with (as well as you'll find older, non-wifi items in most households, especially in middle class and below).
If a ganger tries to hose you down with an old UZI or AK 97, or a beaten-up Warhawk, there'll be no wifi involved.
I'll stick to laser pointers that activate on touching the trigger here.

Cops and secguards will have smartlinked weapons- with skinlinks.
I cannot understand how something as dangerous as a gun can not be skinlinked, though it can be useful at times to turn the skinlink off if you place a gun somewhere and fire it remotely.
But that's a rare exception, as well as the possibility to turn them off remotely if you drop them (or are forced to drop them).
Usually, they'll be slaved to their comlinks via skinlink, with enabling wireless if the skinlink is broken as an optional feature an uncareful guard might have turned on before drawing the gun sometimes.
And yes, that means the hacker can get at them- usually indirectly, after breaking the firewall and defeating the ICE on the link.

Cyberware is handled similarly, but will always rely on skinlink at best, and some implants don't need wifi at all, except for diagnostic functions.
In these cases, it will be turned on manually at the street doc and be turned of again afterwards.
Of course, implants that aren't just there and always provide a bonus, but contain various features to switch between, like cybereyes as the most common example, will be slaved to the PAN, if the user doesn't get an additional DNI implant with a signal rating of zero and independent from the PAN.
ICE strongly recommended.

Would you rather switch from low-light to infrared manually?
Some implants just need a remote control.
Often, it will be guarded carefully, but theoretically, a hacker can mess around with a lot of stuff.

I like the idea of hackers being involved with their core skills in situations that do not come down to breaking into the site's computer system.
It's an important part of fully integrating them into the team.

As far as wifi for everyday items is concerned, yes, it is damn common.
Having one remote for everything is temptingly convenient and Joe Blow on the street will use it.
He's not a security-conscious shadowrunner, he's a gullible and lazy person and prone to leave gaping holes in his matrix security.

And yes, there are people who have wifi-functional jackets.
Ruthenium polymer jackets with an atmospheric sensor and remotly regulable breather in the hood and whatnot.

But no one in my game loads down music into his jacket, unless it is one with an integrated comlink.

* Edge (in that to kill anyone you essentially have to kill them a number of times equal to their edge score)

Yeah, Edge can take all the fun out of the game in the hands of a carebear GM.
I wonder why anybody still fudges dicerolls nowadays (okay, that's something i wonder about anyways, but well...).

However, i think you are applying a too liberal interpretation of the Edge rules here.

Edge allows you to shape the style of play from gritty to cinematic.
Cinematic also means "heroes don't die accidentaly".

Yes, that sucks, which is why i don't handle it this way.

The hand of god rule is applicable once per character in my game- not per Edge refreshment, not per campaign, per character.
It's a second chance, not a third or fourth or fifth.

And avoiding death this way will have consequences.
The character will end up in intensive care, prison or with a severe and crippling injury.

Note that the rules on hand of god say the same, except for that they replace "once per character" with GM fiat (the overuse of GM fiat, BTW, is something that really ticks me of about 4th.

As far as the rest of your hard to fix points are concerned, i don't really care about them.
They result in a game with a different flavour, but it's one i appreciate.

I don't mind having an AI inhabiting my home entertainment system in a cyberpunk game (and like the fact that they are not godlike anymore) and i frankly don't give a damn about the IEs.

What bothers me is that IEs wheren't removed, but simply replaced by GDs.

Not that i don't like the idea of dragons as political and economical players- it is a nice twist on dragons that fits SR perfectly.
What i do mind, however, is the whole "GDs can't be killed by players, treat all of them as you pet NSC" bullshit.

Especially when i see that Lofwyr and especially Ghostwalker should be dead by now after what they pulled off in Frankfurt and Denver.
When you waltz into a city, wreaking havoc, not being protected by tons of Force12 spirits and doing all kinds of similarly stupid things, someone should just take you out with a couple of well-placed heavy gauss gun shots.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 24 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

When you waltz into a city, wreaking havoc, not being protected by tons of Force12 spirits and doing all kinds of similarly stupid things, someone should just take you out with a couple of well-placed heavy gauss gun shots.

Lofwyr had interceptor helicopters at the ready (and god knows what else) in FFM, and Ghostwalker had an infinite number of allied spirits when he trampled Denver.

* NAN treatment
* Tir treatment

First and foremost, don't do more damage than has already been done. Keep Tir na nOg much like it was - it propably won't have wifi all over anyway, being technophobic as it is), let it keep it's veil and seeolie court and basically be a setting for people who like mystical elf stuff. Also, have the NAN remain native-themed (except for Pueblo, which now apparently is a Horizon subsidiary). Tone down Horizon's power, it's gotten laughable. And don't shove down AIs and all the other k3wl stuff every setting's throat. Have SR remain a system where there's something for everybody, not a setting essentially for Matrix fanboys.

* Technomancers

Errata the new echos so that they're somewhere near balanced. Don't overstress their importance anymore; they're not the core piece of SR and will never be so long as it remains a hint of it's original flair. Everyone who wants an RPG centering around "the One" can go and buy the Matric RPG, they don't need to play Shadowrun for that.

* Character creation

Actually, RC fixed that. Karmagen's a dream.

* Shadowslang

I don't need hoop, frag and drek to return much, myself, but could you please stop trying to pretend 4chan is the main influence on SR slang? It's so damn dorky.

* Too much Wi-Fi

Just keep it realistic. And try to think of a reason why the SR4 cities aren't facing EMP and explosion doom from huge swarms of amok thunderbirds (the critter). One that's remotely convincing, in in-game terms.

* better Vehicle integration

I don't really see the problem there, myself.

What I'd like to see solved:

- More continuity with previous stuff. Maybe drop in familiar shadowtalkers, maybe you could leave some settings relatively unchanged, maybe also bring back old equipment (especially vehicles) ...

- don't go too far into transhumanism. AIs cannot just be accepted in SR, not after how they've been used before.

- TUNE DOWN HORIZON, it's gotten far, far too ridiculuos. And don't use the word media blitz anymore. It sounds stupid and makes me think of Will Smith and his flashy thing. Sorry, my disbelief cannot be suspended that much.

- on a related note, don't borrow slang from 4chan too often. What you borrowed is dated when the book actually ships anyway.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Aug 24 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

I also kinda like how they do cyberware.

I know to most of the people who are on a cyberpunk message board it seems normal to lop off limbs and replace them with metal.

But my wife has assured me that if I do something like that in real life I can kiss sex goodbye.

I think of cyberware a bit like body peircings. Earings and datajacks are pretty well accepted. But the rest? Not so much if they're obvious.

Now there is the performance enhancing bit. But steroids enhance your performance now and those have a stigma.

What I do have a problem with are odd things that are broken on close inspection. Or at least should have been elaborated on so we know what they can't do.

This includes

-The movement power
-agent smith
-technomancers trying to get a bonus on absolutely everything they touch.

+Quote Post
VagabondStar
post Aug 24 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,080

A lot of the complaint seems to stem from whether you want the classic "80s future" or the newer 2070 vision which is more in keeping with the direction technology is heading. Personally, I'm a fan of the 80s vision of the future. I want my smartlink to be a giant metal tube that comes out of my wrist and screws into my ingram smartgun.

The most important thing, regardless of system change, license holding, etc. is that Shadowrun is still going in some form. You can always pick and choose whether you want to run in the 2070s or the 2050s. We are fortunate enough to have a more-or-less complete timeline of technology evolution over that 20 year period... and who says it has to be a "pure" setting. If you want your rigger to control swarms of death-drones in 2050 - who really cares? You want to play a technomancer in 2062... whatever.

Compromise is going to be about taking what we loved about the older editions of the game and integrating the best elements of what is new - and it looks like there are a LOT of good things about the new edition... coming from a guy who doesnt' actually own any of the new books, of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

but that's just my opinion, and my thoughts on the subject.

Now let's get back to the important stuff.... like trying to figure out how to make the "Burned Out Technomancer" archetype.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 24 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Aug 24 2008, 06:51 AM) *
I'd vote for "to much wi-fi" to be stricken from the list.

Perhaps "sane wi fi" would be a better description. Seriously, there is no reason for everything to have a device rating. Underwear do not need to be computerized? I can live with the lesser evils of hacking smartlinks and cyberware (there are ways around it).

Plus think about it. Seriously. You're probably typing that with a cell phone that can surf the web and make videos in your pocket, a bluetooth headset on hand or in your ear, two USB keys in your pocket, an IPOD with more songs on it than your parents had in their entire music collection, a calculator in your backpack with at least some infrared linkup capability and that can solve problems you'd have needed a room full of PhDs to handle 20 years ago, you may have a laptop to boot, and a digital wristwatch that you wish could figure out to update itself when you change time zones.

Desktop computer actually (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I don't have any of that stuff.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 24 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eugene @ Aug 24 2008, 07:31 AM) *
I don't think I miss the shadow slang. A lot of that stuff was originally used to avoid using real swears (because, you know, that's more threatening to our children than the fact that they're playing criminals). Now that swears are back in...

I know. I just think it's disingenuous to shift it back (retro) all of a sudden. It's not a major point though.

As far as cyberware being passe, I think that's fine too. "Count Zero" was written in 86 (re-reading it now) and a lot has changed since then. If we're not going to insist any more on the 80s "style", I think it's ok to re-evaluate the place of cyber. It's even fun to think of it as the consciously retro choice. And it's not like you don't have plenty of choices to zero out your essence using just cyber.

Again, it's not a major point. I should have delineated major gripes and minor gripes.

but he feels that the Matrix loses some of its cachet if AI becomes just another persona. I'm on the fence, myself.

I agree.

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 24 2008, 08:37 AM) *
After a five-year lapse in the timeline and only two fluff sourcebooks out, it should come as no surprise that SR4 has a less detailed background than previous editions.

Thus it's easily fixable - put out books to cover the matter. I for one can wait. Our esteemed counterparts cannot, they need something to reassure them that they aren't waiting in vain.

I view cyber as something common on the streets......The view of cyber as outdated is something i apply to an elitist crowd of upper-class fashion victims.

Same here.

As far as wifi for everyday items is concerned, yes, it is damn common.
Having one remote for everything is temptingly convenient and Joe Blow on the street will use it.
He's not a security-conscious shadowrunner, he's a gullible and lazy person and prone to leave gaping holes in his matrix security.

And yes, there are people who have wifi-functional jackets.
Ruthenium polymer jackets with an atmospheric sensor and remotly regulable breather in the hood and whatnot.

But no one in my game loads down music into his jacket, unless it is one with an integrated comlink.

I agree totally here - this IMO is a sane approach to wifi. Underwear with a device rating on the other hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

However, i think you are applying a too liberal interpretation of the Edge rules here.......The hand of god rule is applicable once per character in my game- not per Edge refreshment, not per campaign, per character.
It's a second chance, not a third or fourth or fifth.

Page 68, BBB
"Escape certain death. Th is use of Edge represents another
shot at life—something the spirits are rare to
provide. Th e streets have decided that they have more
uses for this character before she’s discarded to the
trash heap and miraculously pull her from the jaws
of Death. Gamemasters can explain this phenomena
with any rationale they like, from sheer coincidence to
the intervention of the gods. Note that the character is
not necessarily unharmed by the action; if shot in the
head, for example, she may be knocked into a coma
and appear dead to her enemies, but she will survive to
get revenge another day."

Note that the rules on hand of god say the same, except for that they replace "once per character" with GM fiat

For NPCs.

(the overuse of GM fiat, BTW, is something that really ticks me of about 4th.

Shall we add that to the list?

What bothers me is that IEs wheren't removed, but simply replaced by GDs.......
What i do mind, however, is the whole "GDs can't be killed by players, treat all of them as you pet NSC" bullshit.

This is a faux dilemma - GDs were always presented like this (save in the BBBs).

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 24 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 24 2008, 09:10 AM) *
First and foremost, don't do more damage than has already been done. Keep Tir na nOg much like it was - it propably won't have wifi all over anyway, being technophobic as it is), let it keep it's veil and seeolie court and basically be a setting for people who like mystical elf stuff. Also, have the NAN remain native-themed (except for Pueblo, which now apparently is a Horizon subsidiary).

It would be nice to have Tir na nOg a tiny tad more accessible, but definitely agreed.

And don't shove down AIs and all the other k3wl stuff every setting's throat. Have SR remain a system where there's something for everybody, not a setting essentially for Matrix fanboys.

Errata the new echos so that they're somewhere near balanced. Don't overstress their importance anymore;

Agreed.

What I'd like to see solved:

- More continuity with previous stuff. Maybe drop in familiar shadowtalkers, maybe you could leave some settings relatively unchanged, maybe also bring back old equipment (especially vehicles) ...

- don't go too far into transhumanism. AIs cannot just be accepted in SR, not after how they've been used before.

- TUNE DOWN HORIZON, it's gotten far, far too ridiculuos. And don't use the word media blitz anymore. It sounds stupid and makes me think of Will Smith and his flashy thing. Sorry, my disbelief cannot be suspended that much.

Agreed on all points (not as...adamant...about Horizon, but agreed). As for 4chan, you lost me - no clue what it is save for some anime/manga.

QUOTE (VagabondStar @ Aug 24 2008, 09:22 AM) *
A lot of the complaint seems to stem from whether you want the classic "80s future" or the newer 2070 vision which is more in keeping with the direction technology is heading.

I would like to see a middle ground between the two myself.

The most important thing, regardless of system change, license holding, etc. is that Shadowrun is still going in some form.

Definitely agreed.

Now let's get back to the important stuff.... like trying to figure out how to make the "Burned Out Technomancer" archetype.

That's the point of this exercise and thread - to bring some measure of peace to the divided between 3rd'ers and 4th'ers. Hopefully the writers and devs will take some inspiration from this as well, but that is beyond our control. All we can control is what plays out on these boards.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Aug 24 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Honestly, I think the Edge rule should stay as is. It's always easy to just say ''this is how it works'' at the table. it's wonderfully easy to tinker with: drop a harder hammer on Edge if you like gritty gameplay, treat as is for cinematic. Or somewhere in between. (We use as is. I guess I like cinematic gameplay. I don't want to have to worry about dying to a penny falling off the empire state building.) Of course, if said runner jumps into a vat of nuclear slime, then yeah, even in cinematic gameplay, you're dead. But I don't see why having it so it's nice and easy to shape depending on the campaign you want is a BAD thing.

Choice=Good. The more choices a game has=better, IMO, but I guess it's all subjective, as normal.

Of course, perhaps I misunderstood the thing on Edge. I always though it's easy enough to rule. I mean, why would there need to be another set of rules for it? (Unless it's just a collection of ''Other Ways to Use Edge'' and a listing of stuff from ''Uber-Gritty'' to ''Uber-Cinematic'', and everything in between. That could be cool.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 24 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Aug 24 2008, 10:48 AM) *
Honestly, I think the Edge rule should stay as is. It's always easy to just say ''this is how it works'' at the table. it's wonderfully easy to tinker with: drop a harder hammer on Edge if you like gritty gameplay, treat as is for cinematic. Or somewhere in between. (We use as is. I guess I like cinematic gameplay. I don't want to have to worry about dying to a penny falling off the empire state building.) Of course, if said runner jumps into a vat of nuclear slime, then yeah, even in cinematic gameplay, you're dead. But I don't see why having it so it's nice and easy to shape depending on the campaign you want is a BAD thing.

Choice=Good. The more choices a game has=better, IMO, but I guess it's all subjective, as normal.

Of course, perhaps I misunderstood the thing on Edge. I always though it's easy enough to rule. I mean, why would there need to be another set of rules for it? (Unless it's just a collection of ''Other Ways to Use Edge'' and a listing of stuff from ''Uber-Gritty'' to ''Uber-Cinematic'', and everything in between. That could be cool.

That's precisely what I'm talking about. One of my non-negotiable points here is that all printed SR4 materials must remain viable (with the exception of setting material that can be altered in a logical fashion). To clarify by example - technos are here, they can't be hand waved out without ruining continuity. So they should IMO be clearly distinguished as non-magical and rule options/errata/clarifications should be made to solve their uberness.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 24 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #13

Running Target

I completely agree on Hermit's notion of having diverse settings that appeal to many different playstiles.

As far as GDs are concerned, yeah, you're right, NightmareX.
They just seem to get much, much more spotlight since 3rd ed which, due to the whole Dunkie plotline, could very well be the edition with the most embarassing overuse of GDs.
I'd prefer to tune down the overall level of marysueishness instead of just shifting the focus from pointy ears to wizworms.
And i'd love to make them officially killable, but i don't think that's a key problem with 4th.
Ghostwalker, however...yuck.

The "less GM fiat, please" point can certainly go on the list, as far as i'm concerned.

On Edge : where does it say that the hand of god use only requires GM approval in case of NPCs?
@ ElFenrir : i didn't say that having flexible Edge rules is a bad thing, i just noted that due to these rules, it depends foremost on the group if it makes the game as easy as NightmareX stated in the OP.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Aug 24 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

By the way where is the device rating for underwear stuff coming from? Maybe an RFID in the tag, but a device rating?

Well. Ok. Some underwear probably has a device rating. If it has, say, temperature settings, or options for such things as "hide stiffy" or "puff to impress". You'd need wireless control for that. I could also see the use of smart materials for auto snugging. Or "comfort numbers" like that mattress you sometimes see adds for.

Also there already are some more high tech underpants.
http://zedomax.com/blog/2008/05/20/underwe...blood-pressure/

And lets not even get into bra options.

Also tied in there is the idea of technoshock. Which is supposed to be a cyberpunk staple.

After nearly 20 yeas for this game, cyberware just isn't shocking anymore.

So the next time your players pay their lifestyle costs you should inform them that the new game they bought comes with force feedback underpants, or that their new bra can be controlled from their comlink with settings of "sprinter" to "hippy freeswinging".

Also on that note I would definitly pay a premium for the condoms that send out a wireless alert if their structural integrity is compromised or if leaking out the back is detected. Though if the run just paid off I'm definitely paying for the wi-fi enabled delux models. Maybe give those to the guys with medium or higher lifestyle.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Aug 24 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

I gotcha. Sorry if I seemed to react a bit ''gah! more nerfs!'' because I certainly did not intend to be that way.

I guess, being one of the more ''manga-esque'' folks, whenever i heard about ''turn it down'' often, I sort of get a reaction. (The way I GM is sort of...if I could say it's a cross between gritty and manga. There IS a lot of that grit around, but other things are more cinematic at the same time. If that makes sense. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

I AM, however, ALL for a group of optional rules that give tips on tons of different playstyles. In fact, that's something I'd be totally into. Hell, i'd be willing to try to whip something together for a 'tips on playing a gritty yet cinematic sort of manga-esque kind of game''. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) )

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 24 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Aug 24 2008, 04:20 PM) *
I guess, being one of the more ''manga-esque'' folks, whenever i heard about ''turn it down'' often, I sort of get a reaction. (The way I GM is sort of...if I could say it's a cross between gritty and manga. There IS a lot of that grit around, but other things are more cinematic at the same time. If that makes sense. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Same here.
Or at least similar.
I love my game with flashy special FX, i want my jarheads and sprites and mechas and casters with extreme versions of shamanic mask and spells that look like something out of Final Fantasy, but at the same time, i prefer a rough and dangerous game where people get hurt. Badly.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Aug 24 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

I love the wi-fi, myself.
Just remember that anything important or mil-spec will probably not be wireless (at least not in the common-usage sense) for hopefully obvious reasons. Renraku will not be hooking up their super-mega mainframe to the nearest local wireless hub, my friends.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Aug 24 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Most of my grit is in the background, so to speak-and the storylines. Some of it can get mighty dark. As for danger level, I sort of abide by the ''play smart, and you'll do ok.'' I like there to be SOME danger, of course! But I really don't mind the Edge rule as it is...but I play with it. ''He could have never lived through that!'' Spend an edge point...well, you might not be in the same shape, you might have that artificial arm, or torso, or be a revamped version of the guy in Johnny Got his Gun(aka the Metallica ''One'' Video Guy), but you're alive to fight another day.

I don't, however, reward really dumb decisions.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 24 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

You'd need wireless control for that.

Yes, because the notion of skinlinking underwear is absurd. Since when does it come close to one's skin?

Also tied in there is the idea of technoshock. Which is supposed to be a cyberpunk staple. (...) After nearly 20 yeas for this game, cyberware just isn't shocking anymore.

That's impossible today. It's not even truely shocking anymore IRL. Given how players are used to tech that's fairly close to what was considered technoshocking in the 80s (so much that Gibson stated he doesn't write scifi anymore since reality has caught up with his fiction), technoshock isn't really feasible anymore.

It would be nice to have Tir na nOg a tiny tad more accessible, but definitely agreed.

Actually, I kinda like the idea of nations that aren't open to everyone with a rating 2 fake SIN. Diversity, y'know?

As for 4chan, you lost me - no clue what it is save for some anime/manga.

You're kidding, right? Well, see for yourself. Sorry to have destroyed your life. It's the armpit of the internet.

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Aug 24 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

On the "wireless underwear" topic (sort of), I just finished reading Charles Stross' Halting State. In it there's a throwaway reference to RFID tags in clothing telling the washing machine what settings to use. So I guess you could "hack" it so that it might shrink the next time they wash it if you're into sophomoric pranks.

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Aug 24 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 217

QUOTE (NightmareX @ Aug 24 2008, 08:42 AM) *
I know. I just think it's disingenuous to shift it back (retro) all of a sudden. It's not a major point though.

It is absolutely disingenuous. Sorry, but if you're one of those aging sticks in the mud like me you expect Shadowrun to sound different and not just like and not like the Union manufacturers on break time.

Also, a lot of the "objectionable" content about Shadowrun doesn't occur in the rulebooks. Way back in high school the only reason a lot of my gaming group could play Shadowrun was that it wasn't D&D, didn't have demons in it, and we weren't swearing up a storm while staying in character (CP2020). A BIG part of why 5 of my long time Shadowrun players won't move to 4th edition is because they have kids and simply don't want them exposed to it too early. As an adult businessman I've always found in unprofessional to offend people you want to do business unnecessarily (there are necessary offenses and that is a large part of what I do for a living). Top of that list is making inappropriate jokes before knowing if they'll be offended or swearing in the presence of people before knowing if they'll be offended.

and like many of the changes in the 4th edition, why was this needed? It seems like the downsides were way bigger and more numerous than the upsides.

I agree totally here - this IMO is a sane approach to wifi. Underwear with a device rating on the other hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I have no problems with the concept of Wi-Fi and Augmented Reality. SR3 already had wi-fi to a believable degree in my opinion. Making EVERYTHING Wi-Fi is just ridiculous.

This is a faux dilemma - GDs were always presented like this (save in the BBBs).

Great Dragons were, but regular Dragons were not. Great Dragons like Immortal Elves, and Corporate Presidents should generally be close to untouchable. Regular Dragons on the other hand should be very tough, but also very killable if properly prepared and armed. 4th edition has made even regular dragons rather insane.

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Aug 24 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (NightmareX @ Aug 24 2008, 08:43 AM) *

TT and TnO should be more accessible in the sourcebook. But the "Iron curtains" should stay up as part of the atmosphere rather than the attempts to tear them down that were in SoNA. Poke holes in it big enough for Shadowrunners to crawl through, but enough to keep the barbarians out and use the Tirs as alien settings.

That's the point of this exercise and thread - to bring some measure of peace to the divided between 3rd'ers and 4th'ers. Hopefully the writers and devs will take some inspiration from this as well, but that is beyond our control. All we can control is what plays out on these boards.

Agreed. The "screw you" attitude is fine at the tabletop, but when you listen to it as a developer it means you start start diminishing your customer base.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Aug 24 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 24 2008, 12:39 PM) *
Yes, because the notion of skinlinking underwear is absurd. Since when does it come close to one's skin?

Well obviously if you're so inclined go skinlink crazy. This applies to a lot of things.

That's impossible today. It's not even truely shocking anymore IRL. Given how players are used to tech that's fairly close to what was considered technoshocking in the 80s (so much that Gibson stated he doesn't write scifi anymore since reality has caught up with his fiction), technoshock isn't really feasible anymore.

Well maybe for "shock" in terms of getting a OMGWTFBBQ response. Though I don't know how much cyberware did that even in the 80's.

But our chummer who started this thread apperantly wasn't down with high tech boxers. So maybe think less "shock" and more "surprise".

Still I think it adds a lot.

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Aug 24 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (VagabondStar @ Aug 24 2008, 07:22 AM) *
A lot of the complaint seems to stem from whether you want the classic "80s future" or the newer 2070 vision which is more in keeping with the direction technology is heading. Personally, I'm a fan of the 80s vision of the future. I want my smartlink to be a giant metal tube that comes out of my wrist and screws into my ingram smartgun.

I believe that no roleplaying game can keep up with real world SOTA. With the 4 books a year they put out we've already been through 2 technological revolutions.

No the best way to do the future is to have a vision of what it will be like and stick to it (Star Wars, Star Trek, Buck Rogers), and then if you adapt it do so subtly and not with the bluntness of a punch to the face. I don't have a problem with the "Wi-Fi revolution" between 3rd and 4th edition but I do have a serious problem with the way in which it was done.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 24 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #25

The King In Yellow

Well maybe for "shock" in terms of getting a OMGWTFBBQ response. Though I don't know how much cyberware did that even in the 80's.

A lot. It was Terminator-level fantasy. It was science fiction. Today's world is 30 years onwards. Technology has progressed pretty much the cyberpunk way. Cybernetic implants, for medical reasons, are already reality. DNI control of games and (presumably) vehicles is in beta.

I dunno really. I wouldn't want my boxers twisting my balls at any code kiddo's wrath.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.