IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> French edition - Marseille?, In the french Runners Haven?
The ubbergeek
post Sep 4 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,415

Wow, been a long while...

Okay, probably quite unusual... I know that there is a french edition of Runners Haven (I think), and this is not just a mere traduction; Los Angeles was changed for Seatles, and they added Marseille, according to what I heard between the branches.

So, french 'cousins', how was that chapiter? I always liked that city, the mystique, popular/street culture (it's IAM and Taxi, dangit!), etc... I'd pick perhaps for a run there one day - if it's good.

Is the city well done and usable? Coments?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Archaos
post Sep 4 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,584

"Capitale des Ombres" (the french for "Runners Haven") contents Hong Kong (p.5-55), Seattle (p.58-113), Marseille (p.114-130), Le Cap (p.131-135), Caracas (p.136-139), Hambourg (p.139-142) and Istanbul (p.142-144).

Marseille is usable and well done. There are frenchies allusions and a image with Harlequin (who live in the château d'If) in a bar.

At a time, there was talk of an English translation in shadowrun4.com.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Sep 4 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Sep 4 2008, 01:51 PM) *
Wow, been a long while...

Okay, probably quite unusual... I know that there is a french edition of Runners Haven (I think), and this is not just a mere traduction; Los Angeles was changed for Seatles,

Actually, Los Angeles is featured in Corporate Enclaves. Runners Havens (English version) features Seattle and Hong Kong.

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Sep 4 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

AH yes, thank you for the correction Tiger Eyes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds fine to me, Archaos -québecois here, speak french, no problemo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 4 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Il faut avoir des gens qui portent des unitardes en Marseille.

(How's my French?)

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 4 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I'm not a native French speaker, but generally following "il faut" you utilize the subjonctif.

"Il faut que je fasse..." etc.

The Marseille chapter was very well written and easy to understand. (Presuming you read French...) As I recall, the author of the Marseille chapter has volunteered to translate but there were some licensing concerns with the foreign imprints. Now that CGL has hammered those out, I suspect it's just a matter of capital expenditures and prioritization. Adam, Synner or Vairdic will of course know better than us plebs.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Sep 5 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE ("Wounded Ronin")
Il faut avoir des gens qui portent des unitardes en Marseille.

I don't know what "unitardes" are. Except for that, your sentence is understandable, but not exactly correct. It's "à Marseille" and not "en Marseille". Also, "Il faut" isn't what a French would use in that case (don't ask me why)
I'd rather say : "Il faut des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." or "Il faut qu'il y ait des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." (with the subjonctif as BishopMcQ said)

As for the Marseille chapter it's ok. Nothing extraordinary but nothing bad either (maybe Nath would have something to say about the corporations). The art was surprisingly good for such a small scale product. I can't say if the reader needs to be French to "get" the chapter right, though.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 5 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Blade @ Sep 5 2008, 06:04 AM) *
I don't know what "unitardes" are. Except for that, your sentence is understandable, but not exactly correct. It's "à Marseille" and not "en Marseille". Also, "Il faut" isn't what a French would use in that case (don't ask me why)
I'd rather say : "Il faut des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." or "Il faut qu'il y ait des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." (with the subjonctif as BishopMcQ said)

As for the Marseille chapter it's ok. Nothing extraordinary but nothing bad either (maybe Nath would have something to say about the corporations). The art was surprisingly good for such a small scale product. I can't say if the reader needs to be French to "get" the chapter right, though.

Thanks for the grammar tips. For me, as someone who studied French in school, it's always the conventional usage which I am least likely to know.

As for unitardes I had just assumed (didn't bother to look up) that that word is equivalent to the English "unitard".

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, I need to review my prepositions. I actually sat at the screen for about 20 seconds wondering which preposition I should use before Marseille, but realized I'd forgotten those parts of the French lessons. How sad...

+Quote Post
Archaos
post Sep 8 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 7,584

QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Sep 4 2008, 03:16 PM) *
AH yes, thank you for the correction Tiger Eyes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds fine to me, Archaos -québecois here, speak french, no problemo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I write french at this french forums :
- http://www.shadowforums.com/forums/
- http://shadowrun.fr/forums/

and here I try to write in english. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 8 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Archaos @ Sep 8 2008, 01:49 PM) *
I write french at this french forums :
- http://www.shadowforums.com/forums/
- http://shadowrun.fr/forums/

and here I try to write in english. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Ha ha, sweet. I wonder if people would get pissed off if I started posting there due to my non-native-French-fu.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Sep 8 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

as a total non-french speaker I have to say that the 'unitard' converstation was hysterical

+Quote Post
Nath
post Sep 10 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Hey, I learned new words today... "Unitard" is a hard one to translate in French. "Leotard" would translate as a "justaucorp" in French [etymologically, "bodyfit"]. "Unitard" would translate as a "justaucorp académique" or just "académique", but that one is danse and gymnastics specific jargon, most French people would probably not get it. "Real superheroes wear unitards" would rather be translated as "les vrais super-héros portent des collants moulants" [pantyhose/tights].

About Marseille in SR, I admit I read it only once, so I don't have much to say. My first impression was that local corporate power was quite important for France, which rather has a tradition of high centralization. Also, the Saeder-Krupp angle was strongly downplayed in comparison to Shadows of Europe. Those who wrote it obviously has a precise idea of how France evolved between SoE and SR4. It probably lost me more than it should, precisely because I wrote SoE.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.