Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: French edition - Marseille?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The ubbergeek
Wow, been a long while...

Okay, probably quite unusual... I know that there is a french edition of Runners Haven (I think), and this is not just a mere traduction; Los Angeles was changed for Seatles, and they added Marseille, according to what I heard between the branches.

So, french 'cousins', how was that chapiter? I always liked that city, the mystique, popular/street culture (it's IAM and Taxi, dangit!), etc... I'd pick perhaps for a run there one day - if it's good.

Is the city well done and usable? Coments?
Archaos
"Capitale des Ombres" (the french for "Runners Haven") contents Hong Kong (p.5-55), Seattle (p.58-113), Marseille (p.114-130), Le Cap (p.131-135), Caracas (p.136-139), Hambourg (p.139-142) and Istanbul (p.142-144).

Marseille is usable and well done. There are frenchies allusions and a image with Harlequin (who live in the château d'If) in a bar.

At a time, there was talk of an English translation in shadowrun4.com.

Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Sep 4 2008, 01:51 PM) *
Wow, been a long while...

Okay, probably quite unusual... I know that there is a french edition of Runners Haven (I think), and this is not just a mere traduction; Los Angeles was changed for Seatles,

Actually, Los Angeles is featured in Corporate Enclaves. Runners Havens (English version) features Seattle and Hong Kong.
The ubbergeek
AH yes, thank you for the correction Tiger Eyes. smile.gif

Sounds fine to me, Archaos -québecois here, speak french, no problemo. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
Il faut avoir des gens qui portent des unitardes en Marseille.

(How's my French?)
BishopMcQ
I'm not a native French speaker, but generally following "il faut" you utilize the subjonctif.

"Il faut que je fasse..." etc.

The Marseille chapter was very well written and easy to understand. (Presuming you read French...) As I recall, the author of the Marseille chapter has volunteered to translate but there were some licensing concerns with the foreign imprints. Now that CGL has hammered those out, I suspect it's just a matter of capital expenditures and prioritization. Adam, Synner or Vairdic will of course know better than us plebs.
Blade
QUOTE ("Wounded Ronin")
Il faut avoir des gens qui portent des unitardes en Marseille.

I don't know what "unitardes" are. Except for that, your sentence is understandable, but not exactly correct. It's "à Marseille" and not "en Marseille". Also, "Il faut" isn't what a French would use in that case (don't ask me why)
I'd rather say : "Il faut des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." or "Il faut qu'il y ait des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." (with the subjonctif as BishopMcQ said)

As for the Marseille chapter it's ok. Nothing extraordinary but nothing bad either (maybe Nath would have something to say about the corporations). The art was surprisingly good for such a small scale product. I can't say if the reader needs to be French to "get" the chapter right, though.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Blade @ Sep 5 2008, 06:04 AM) *
I don't know what "unitardes" are. Except for that, your sentence is understandable, but not exactly correct. It's "à Marseille" and not "en Marseille". Also, "Il faut" isn't what a French would use in that case (don't ask me why)
I'd rather say : "Il faut des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." or "Il faut qu'il y ait des gens qui portent des unitardes à Marseille." (with the subjonctif as BishopMcQ said)

As for the Marseille chapter it's ok. Nothing extraordinary but nothing bad either (maybe Nath would have something to say about the corporations). The art was surprisingly good for such a small scale product. I can't say if the reader needs to be French to "get" the chapter right, though.

Thanks for the grammar tips. For me, as someone who studied French in school, it's always the conventional usage which I am least likely to know.

As for unitardes I had just assumed (didn't bother to look up) that that word is equivalent to the English "unitard".

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, I need to review my prepositions. I actually sat at the screen for about 20 seconds wondering which preposition I should use before Marseille, but realized I'd forgotten those parts of the French lessons. How sad...
Archaos
QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Sep 4 2008, 03:16 PM) *
AH yes, thank you for the correction Tiger Eyes. smile.gif

Sounds fine to me, Archaos -québecois here, speak french, no problemo. smile.gif

I write french at this french forums :
- http://www.shadowforums.com/forums/
- http://shadowrun.fr/forums/

and here I try to write in english. grinbig.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Archaos @ Sep 8 2008, 01:49 PM) *
I write french at this french forums :
- http://www.shadowforums.com/forums/
- http://shadowrun.fr/forums/

and here I try to write in english. grinbig.gif

Ha ha, sweet. I wonder if people would get pissed off if I started posting there due to my non-native-French-fu.
WeaverMount
as a total non-french speaker I have to say that the 'unitard' converstation was hysterical
Nath
Hey, I learned new words today... "Unitard" is a hard one to translate in French. "Leotard" would translate as a "justaucorp" in French [etymologically, "bodyfit"]. "Unitard" would translate as a "justaucorp académique" or just "académique", but that one is danse and gymnastics specific jargon, most French people would probably not get it. "Real superheroes wear unitards" would rather be translated as "les vrais super-héros portent des collants moulants" [pantyhose/tights].

About Marseille in SR, I admit I read it only once, so I don't have much to say. My first impression was that local corporate power was quite important for France, which rather has a tradition of high centralization. Also, the Saeder-Krupp angle was strongly downplayed in comparison to Shadows of Europe. Those who wrote it obviously has a precise idea of how France evolved between SoE and SR4. It probably lost me more than it should, precisely because I wrote SoE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012