Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cheat Sheets in Javascript, Not OS specific
bofh
post Sep 13 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,065

I see lots of dice rollers and character generators but no on the fly gaming tools. I use a Mac Powerbook when gaming and used the cheat sheets from the pavao.org site (big thanks there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). As I dissected the cheat sheets to understand the mechanics behind them, I started visualizing how I could get them working on the Mac.

The first ones were just direct creations. As I learned more, I added in the modifiers.

They are done in Javascript so you should just need a browser on your laptop in order to render them. I've run it on my Mac and on a couple of PCs without a problem. One of the folks in my game is using one of the Asus boxes and it works fine for him.

The javascript pages are at http://www.shadowrun.us/sr4/cheat

The index page gives some information on the pages. I've used them during games (the ones that are working) with success.

They're not pretty and they are the first step so they may be a little kludgie. I built them with the basic tests and then added modifiers. Once I'm sure they're working, I'll likely be making changes. I also make updates as I go along, discovering errors or misunderstandings on how I read things in the books.

I've tacked on page numbers in the sheets. It's made looking things up a lot easier. Ask my runners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Comments and corrections can be either sent to me (carl (at) schelin (dot) org) or feel free to post them here.

Note: They're still a work in progress. If the link says "*beta*", it means I'm probably using them during the game so you can check it out for problems. I'm still working on the others so they may change quite a lot as I get them into shape.

Carl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 15 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

I had very low expectations of this thread when I opened it but man those javascript pages are *nice*. GOOD WORK!!!

+Quote Post
bofh
post Sep 15 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

If you don't mind my asking, what were you expecting? Obviously if there's a description problem or some preconceived bias, I'd want to fix that so others will be interested in taking a look.

I used it in another game yesterday and made a few more updates last night. Added a couple of DP mods from the Qualities list (Ambidextrous and Focused Concentration). Found a gigantic typo in the Fire Mode list (two Full-Auto/Long Narrow labels). Fixed reach calculation on Melee sheet. Added +/- buttons to Banishing sheet.

Still puzzling out Astral Combat.

Todo from yesterday: Electrical damage and two targets damage (we're thinking when you have narrow fire and hit two targets the damage is different for the second one; not sure where we read it though so some research).

There's a bunch to do but I had several sheets done so I figured to post them up and see if others spot something I (or my group) missed.

Carl

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 16 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Well, when I read 'javascript' I thought it'd be more like a flat spreadsheet and less... documented... than your actual coding. You include all the formulas with the variables shown beside them as well as lay out the test target numbers.

The one I checked out was the Matrix one. Thats the hardest thing for me to teach to others so it interested me the most. I'm sure the others are fantastic but I'm trying to pull together a how-to for Matrix characters so thats my focus and I saw no errors in my cursory examination.

If you want a more accurate description use terms like calculator or quick reference. Both are true, albeit customized to a given character.

They are cheat sheets, you didnt mislabel them, but the level of interactivity and documentation you've bundled into each sheet makes them much more than just cheat sheets IMO.

+Quote Post
bofh
post Sep 16 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wasabi @ Sep 15 2008, 05:49 PM) *
Well, when I read 'javascript' I thought it'd be more like a flat spreadsheet and less... documented... than your actual coding. You include all the formulas with the variables shown beside them as well as lay out the test target numbers.

Ok, I'll modify the title if I can then, thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The one I checked out was the Matrix one. Thats the hardest thing for me to teach to others so it interested me the most. I'm sure the others are fantastic but I'm trying to pull together a how-to for Matrix characters so thats my focus and I saw no errors in my cursory examination.

Thanks for checking it out. If you do find a problem, please let me know. Right now I'm poking at the Ranged and Melee sheets because of Sunday's game. Once they're straightened out a bit, I can dup the ranged one for drone with just a few changes and it's done.

As I said, I'm checking out the qualities as well so the Matrix one might change a bit if I find matrix specific DP mods that are relevant.

If you want a more accurate description use terms like calculator or quick reference. Both are true, albeit customized to a given character.

They are cheat sheets, you didnt mislabel them, but the level of interactivity and documentation you've bundled into each sheet makes them much more than just cheat sheets IMO.

Thanks again.

Just a bit of history.

Back in 1979 I started a menu program in BASIC on a Timex:Sinclair to help with my DnD game. Prior to that I was using a sheet of poster board with an acetate cover to keep track of character information; time, light, and basic character stats. Over time it was greatly expanded and converted to Color Computer BASIC, PC-BASIC, Megabasic, and the C using the CXL and then TCXL DOS windowing system. The program changed from a simple menu to The Computerized Dungeon Master. Listing up to 40 characters and 40 monsters, armor calculations, THAC0, and various tables. It also incorporated combat so you could match up char and monsters to get the THAC0. - would subtract armor (helmet or body), and hit points. Enter would use up time.

Lots of info there and yea, I've been using a computer to help with RPGs for quite some time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Basically though I really used the program to learn programming and to help me understand portions of the game. I was looking at my program a month or so ago and I see where I was starting on a 1st Ed Shadowrun Character Monitor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But the goal is the same here. I used the cheat sheets (again, big help) and wanted to learn more about Javascript. I find it's easier to learn some things when I want to do something.

That's why I said it's the first step.

My goal is once this is whipped into shape, I'll step back and create the monitoring program. With the stats already filled in, you'd be able to click on the character and the defender and then click on "melee" and at least some of the stats will be automatically filled in.

That's just conceptual for the moment though. The cheat sheets are the hardest part of this so it's what gets done first.

Again, thanks for checking it out and feel free to drop me a note if you see a problem or where it can be improved. I'll be updating frequently so I'd suggest snagging it regularly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll try to update it here when changes are made.

Carl

+Quote Post
bofh
post Sep 16 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Added Home Ground.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 17 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Home Ground isn't listed yet on the Matrix sheet.

+Quote Post
bofh
post Sep 17 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wasabi @ Sep 16 2008, 07:21 PM) *
Home Ground isn't listed yet on the Matrix sheet.

You're right. I was working on the ranged specifically and the qualities for such combat. I'll go through each one as I get to them although I can hit Matrix next since you're interested in it specifically (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Carl

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Apr 4 2009, 02:28 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,709

I update these periodically. The ones marked beta seem to be correct (SR4 not 4A yet). I'm working specifically on the Indirect Spell Fire one right now. I have to hunt through to make sure it's all being calculated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

General Tests

* Melee Cheat Sheet *beta*
* Ranged Combat Cheat Sheet *beta*
* Drone Combat Cheat Sheet - In work

Mages

* Astral Combat Cheat Sheet - In work
* Indirect Combat Spell Cheat Sheet - In work
* Spellcasting Cheat Sheet - Except Indirect Combat Spells *beta*
* Summoning Cheat Sheet *beta*
* Banishing Cheat Sheet *beta*

Hackers

* Matrix Combat Cheat Sheet *beta*

Technomancers

* Compiling Cheat Sheet *beta*

Carl

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Oct 1 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I do work on these once in a while.

The Melee one is pretty complete barring me missing a Quality that affects such combat (which I'll add when I find it).

Edit:

Most fields have little popups (or hovers) that give the dp mod and page numbers in sr4a and sr4 so you can look it up.
Running total columns along with the "Show Your Work" section at the bottom to show how the values were calculated.
Takes into account Subduing, Knockdown, and Encumbrance in the numbers.

Note:

The Damage Value is the mod from the weapon (Str / 2) + mod. It catches me from time to time. I need to figure a better way of showing it.

Todo:

Now that I think about it, I don't have electrical damage accounted for. I knew I forgot something.

Carl

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Oct 1 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

I added the Shocked DP checkbox. Still working on how to work electrical damage. For now just drop strength to 0 and up the mod to the shock stun value and select stun. I do have the checkbox in place with the hover text.

I also made a change to the display of the damage value which should make it a lot easier to figure out where you are.

Carl

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Oct 1 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

And thanks to whomever is trying to pass parameters to the sheet (I do look at the logs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). I looked at a few ways to accept it but without turning the html into php and thereby requiring a web server run on your PC, I'm somewhat stuck right now (or really hacking up Javascript and I'm not ready to do that yet).

Carl

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Oct 2 2009, 03:24 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Fixed a few of the wrong bits (using the mod value vs the final damage value for one of the calculations). Put in pages for Physical and Stun damage and have it auto-select the Stun radio button when Physical isn't possible. Still working on getting Electrical working. The calculations aren't hard, just getting the page to properly lay things out is the hard part.

Carl

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Oct 3 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Been busy I guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Got electrical attack working. Simply disabled the Strength field so that only the damage mod field worked.

Added in defaulting with skills, both attacker and defender (-1 dp, even if you do a full defense which doing so makes no sense but still...).

Added minimum of 1 for Attributes.

If something's missing, let me know. I'll continue checking stuff, specifically the Qualities.

If something's not working as expected, check the referred page first to make sure. I've done that a few times, expected one result or had a player come back with "but it's skill * 2" only to check the page and find the script is correct. If there's an error, by all means let me know.

Thanks for looking at the script and any feedback.

Carl

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jul 2 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Oh, man. Links are down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

EDIT: found here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.