IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are Cyber ears mods worth it?, (other than Dampening)
KCKitsune
post Sep 25 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,665

OK everybody, I did a search for cyberears and looked at every topic that came up and nothing answered my question. My questions are as follows:

Are cyber ears &/or ear mods other than Dampening worth the Essence cost? I mean you can get a RFID microphone built into an earring (or ring, or anything else) and put audio enhancement into it. Worried about Availability? just get two or three RFID microphones and load up on the goodies!

Also about Sound Link, is there an audio enhancement Sound Link for those times you want to be completely discreet? Route the data stream from the Sound Link Audio enhancement into your datajack and then into your brain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 25 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Balance, Selective Soundfilter...

+Quote Post
Captain K
post Sep 25 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 629

If you're trying to create a perceptive character it's hard to ignore the bonuses you can get from decked-out cyberears. With Rating 3 Audio Enhancement and a Spatial Recognizer you're looking at +3 to all hearing-based Perception tests and +5 when you're trying to locate the source of a specific sound. That's nothing to scoff at. Throw in the Damper and Select Sound Filter and you've got hearing to die for, not to mention the fact that every cyberear system includes built-in recording and sound link functionality (with its own storage) and you've got what strikes me as a damn good investment for a lot of character builds.

Like you're saying, it's certainly possible to buy physical equipment that duplicates most of these functions, but that's true for a lot of stuff. Just kinda depends on how convenient you want the capabilities to be.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Sep 25 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 25 2008, 04:04 AM) *
If you're trying to create a perceptive character it's hard to ignore the bonuses you can get from decked-out cyberears. With Rating 3 Audio Enhancement and a Spatial Recognizer you're looking at +3 to all hearing-based Perception tests and +5 when you're trying to locate the source of a specific sound. That's nothing to scoff at. Throw in the Damper and Select Sound Filter and you've got hearing to die for, not to mention the fact that every cyberear system includes built-in recording and sound link functionality (with its own storage) and you've got what strikes me as a damn good investment for a lot of character builds.

Like you're saying, it's certainly possible to buy physical equipment that duplicates most of these functions, but that's true for a lot of stuff. Just kinda depends on how convenient you want the capabilities to be.

With everyone having commlinks, storage becomes almost too easy. As for convenient, just have them as a microphone enhancement of RFID tag built into an earring. If you skinlink it and then slave it to your commlink then you should be good to go.

@ Rotbart van Dainig: Now as to the Balance augmenter... can that be used to augment your Gymnastics skill? If so then I'm REALLY going to have to squeeze one in.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Sep 25 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

The trick, I think, is that nowhere do capacity rules appear for stuff you wear. For example you have to get the bigger cybereyes/ears if you want to add in all the goodies, or you could just fit absolutly everything into a contact lens...

If your GM adds capacity rules than pretty soon you need cumbersome stuff to get the full bonuses, and then the internal stuff looks more appealing.

+Quote Post
Captain K
post Sep 25 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 629

Not to mention that building all of those bonuses into some customized earrings, rather than sucking it up and dropping a bit of Essence on the actual cyber, just reeks to me of trying to dodge the rules.

I guess it's technically possible, but it just doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of the game.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Sep 25 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Sep 25 2008, 06:30 AM) *
The trick, I think, is that nowhere do capacity rules appear for stuff you wear. For example you have to get the bigger cybereyes/ears if you want to add in all the goodies, or you could just fit absolutly everything into a contact lens...

If your GM adds capacity rules than pretty soon you need cumbersome stuff to get the full bonuses, and then the internal stuff looks more appealing.

I think they "balance" it out by using the Availability rules. For a contact lens with all the goodies you are looking at an Availability of something like 24 or more. Sure you can find it... good luck in your search. You might have an easier time finding the Holy Grail or Eden... the REAL Eden.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 25 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

The selective sound filter is essential when you're a wheelman.

It allows you to cut out the screams of terror the rest of the group has while you drive like a maniac! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 25 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Now as to the Balance augmenter... can that be used to augment your Gymnastics skill?

No - better: It provides the character with +1 die on all tests involving balance.
That can be a lot, starting with falling damage resistance, to piloting tests on a bike and possible even melee combat and defense tests.
As soon as penalties for being off balance due to cirumstances or movement come into play, it's certain to apply, too.

+Quote Post
Kairo
post Sep 25 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 9,060

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 25 2008, 07:14 AM) *
The selective sound filter is essential when you're a wheelman.

It allows you to cut out the screams of terror the rest of the group has while you drive like a maniac! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+1

That reminds me of one of the old C.L.U.E. files...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 25 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

For most of my characters, I just go with a tricked out Earbud and call it a day.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Sep 25 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

By RAW, it is more effective to get a lot of cyber enhancements replaced by gear. Take the cyber-arm gyromount. You can just wear one. Why get a radar sensor implanted when you could just carry one? Why would you get an illegal cyber-spur implanted in your hand when you could carry a ceramic knife instead?

Cyberware is often about convenience. You always have cyber-ears. They're legal so you can take them anywhere. If an enemy has an opportunity to rip your cybernetic eardrums out of your head, you've got other problems to worry about. RFID ear-rings? Sure, it's a little munchy, but whatever. I was play-fighting with a tomboy named Ciara in primary school. I accidentally ripped her earing out of her ear-lobe. Of course there's no RAW to suggest this would happen during SR combat, but it's food for thought.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Sep 25 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Sep 25 2008, 10:30 AM) *
By RAW, it is more effective to get a lot of cyber enhancements replaced by gear. Take the cyber-arm gyromount. You can just wear one. Why get a radar sensor implanted when you could just carry one? Why would you get an illegal cyber-spur implanted in your hand when you could carry a ceramic knife instead?

Cyberware is often about convenience. You always have cyber-ears. They're legal so you can take them anywhere. If an enemy has an opportunity to rip your cybernetic eardrums out of your head, you've got other problems to worry about. RFID ear-rings? Sure, it's a little munchy, but whatever. I was play-fighting with a tomboy named Ciara in primary school. I accidentally ripped her earing out of her ear-lobe. Of course there's no RAW to suggest this would happen during SR combat, but it's food for thought.

Considering that RFID tags can be inplanted under the skin without Essence loss, why not "implant" it under the skin of you ear... the little nub just before you enter the ear canal.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 25 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 02:32 AM) *
just get two or three RFID microphones and load up on the goodies!

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 04:18 AM) *
As for convenient, just have them as a microphone enhancement of RFID tag built into an earring.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 10:34 AM) *
Considering that RFID tags can be inplanted under the skin without Essence loss, why not "implant" it under the skin of you ear... the little nub just before you enter the ear canal.

Sounds like you want to cheat the system. First, sensor tags are programmed to monitor a person/object and respond to conditions. SR4, 319, "Sensor Tags: These tags are equipped with a sensor (see Sensors, p. 325) and are programmed to monitor a certain object/ person/environment and respond to certain conditions. Sensor tags are used for diagnostic purposes in various devices, vehicle components, and cyberware, as well as to monitor temperature in food shipments, and many similar purposes."

Second, heading over to the sensors page, SR4, 325, sure, you could get a microphone RFID sensor, but you can't put audio enhancements on it. Those are earbuds/headphones by canon, and those alone. Now, you could buy earbuds and then have them accept a feed off a RFID microphone, but with a range of 3 feet, they aren't much use.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 25 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 25 2008, 01:59 PM) *
Second, heading over to the sensors page, SR4, 325, sure, you could get a microphone RFID sensor, but you can't put audio enhancements on it.

Uhm, no. You can have audio enhancements integrated into a microphone. It's referenced in multiple places in the rules, not the least of which is actually the Microsphone sensor description.

That said, I don't get the fetish people have about using RFIDs as sensor packages. It's awkward and clumsy. Just put them on devices you already own. A commlink (handheld/minidrone) has a sensor capacity of 3, for instance, so just tack on three capacity units worth of sensors in your commlink's description and price. I'd even treat a pair of electronic glasses the same way (also handheld/minidrone) allowing you to throw on those self-same sensors to your glasses. You still have Availability limits to worry about with enhancements (which I think is goofy as hell), but that's going to happen with anything you get. Hell, just work them into your regular clothing (Capacity 6) or anything else.

There's no need to get all weird and cheesy with "surgically implanted earlobe RFIDs" and whatnot.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 25 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Hrm, I missed that. Let me ammend it then. Great, you have a microphone RFID sensor, and how are you listening to what it hears? Earbud? Headphone? DNI Simsense?

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Sep 25 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

In one of the old sourcebooks (SR2 I think), one of the Shadowland commenters reports on successfully using the select sound filter to tone out his significant other. That's got to make it worth it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 25 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Sep 25 2008, 03:50 PM) *
In one of the old sourcebooks (SR2 I think), one of the Shadowland commenters reports on successfully using the select sound filter to tone out his significant other. That's got to make it worth it.

And set it to signal when "Are you listening to me?" is asked so you can finally answer, "Yes." at the appropriate times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Sep 25 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Sep 25 2008, 10:30 AM) *
Take the cyber-arm gyromount. You can just wear one.

Wait, you can what?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 25 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You can get the Gyromount as a modification for Heavy Armor, but as far as I know that is the only way, other than cyber.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Sep 26 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 25 2008, 01:59 PM) *
Sounds like you want to cheat the system. First, sensor tags are programmed to monitor a person/object and respond to conditions. SR4, 319, "Sensor Tags: These tags are equipped with a sensor (see Sensors, p. 325) and are programmed to monitor a certain object/ person/environment and respond to certain conditions. Sensor tags are used for diagnostic purposes in various devices, vehicle components, and cyberware, as well as to monitor temperature in food shipments, and many similar purposes."

Second, heading over to the sensors page, SR4, 325, sure, you could get a microphone RFID sensor, but you can't put audio enhancements on it. Those are earbuds/headphones by canon, and those alone. Now, you could buy earbuds and then have them accept a feed off a RFID microphone, but with a range of 3 feet, they aren't much use.

Actually by RAW you can put ANY audio enhancement into a microphone... even a RFID one. If you can find out any different then please tell me what book and page.

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 25 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Hrm, I missed that. Let me ammend it then. Great, you have a microphone RFID sensor, and how are you listening to what it hears? Earbud? Headphone? DNI Simsense?

DNI of course. You don't even need a Simsense module. Just feed the data stream though your datajack.

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Sep 26 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

A lot depends on the game the GM is running.

I'm running 4th in 2054 so I don't have a lot of the problems (Techo whats?)

The current edition is stressing people not getting data jacks and the like.

Right now people are spending thousands of dollars to have laser eye surgery so they don't have to wear glasses.

You going to tell me that people wouldn't spend the same amount to not have to wear sun glasses, see at night, or worry about wearing a display link?

Let alone being able to take a picture with a thought.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Sep 26 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #23

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

[nitpick mode ON]
Now, you could buy earbuds and then have them accept a feed off a RFID microphone, but with a range of 3 feet, they aren't much use.

Three meters, not three feet. Three meters is about ten feet. Quite a difference there.
[/nitpick mode OFF]

Captain Metric strikes again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Sep 26 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

KCKitsune:
Synner stated in one of the other threads, that cameras and mics. Erratawise, each enhancement of a camera or mic would eat up one additional capacity of the sensors. So if that errata makes it through (which I think it will), then an ultra tricked out mic is not a mere 1 capacity and is no longer elgible for a lowly RFID sensor tag.

I think that's likely to make it through, as it's a key element in controlling sensor suites and upgrading them to upgrade sensor ratings.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Sep 26 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Falconer @ Sep 25 2008, 10:26 PM) *
KCKitsune:
Synner stated in one of the other threads, that cameras and mics. Erratawise, each enhancement of a camera or mic would eat up one additional capacity of the sensors. So if that errata makes it through (which I think it will), then an ultra tricked out mic is not a mere 1 capacity and is no longer elgible for a lowly RFID sensor tag.

I think that's likely to make it through, as it's a key element in controlling sensor suites and upgrading them to upgrade sensor ratings.

OK, then they better put a capacity on an Earbud. Otherwise you can trick out an Earbud to all Hell and back.

@cndblank: The only function that can't be replicated with contacts is the Eye Recorder. As for getting the contacts into your eye please look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraocular_lens

Now I know what everyone is going to say... how do you recharge THAT?!?

Intel came up with a way of using magnetics to power devices... stands to reason that you could REcharge a device like these IOL's the same way.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.