Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Cyber ears mods worth it?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
KCKitsune
OK everybody, I did a search for cyberears and looked at every topic that came up and nothing answered my question. My questions are as follows:

Are cyber ears &/or ear mods other than Dampening worth the Essence cost? I mean you can get a RFID microphone built into an earring (or ring, or anything else) and put audio enhancement into it. Worried about Availability? just get two or three RFID microphones and load up on the goodies!

Also about Sound Link, is there an audio enhancement Sound Link for those times you want to be completely discreet? Route the data stream from the Sound Link Audio enhancement into your datajack and then into your brain.
Rotbart van Dainig
Balance, Selective Soundfilter...
Captain K
If you're trying to create a perceptive character it's hard to ignore the bonuses you can get from decked-out cyberears. With Rating 3 Audio Enhancement and a Spatial Recognizer you're looking at +3 to all hearing-based Perception tests and +5 when you're trying to locate the source of a specific sound. That's nothing to scoff at. Throw in the Damper and Select Sound Filter and you've got hearing to die for, not to mention the fact that every cyberear system includes built-in recording and sound link functionality (with its own storage) and you've got what strikes me as a damn good investment for a lot of character builds.

Like you're saying, it's certainly possible to buy physical equipment that duplicates most of these functions, but that's true for a lot of stuff. Just kinda depends on how convenient you want the capabilities to be.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 25 2008, 04:04 AM) *
If you're trying to create a perceptive character it's hard to ignore the bonuses you can get from decked-out cyberears. With Rating 3 Audio Enhancement and a Spatial Recognizer you're looking at +3 to all hearing-based Perception tests and +5 when you're trying to locate the source of a specific sound. That's nothing to scoff at. Throw in the Damper and Select Sound Filter and you've got hearing to die for, not to mention the fact that every cyberear system includes built-in recording and sound link functionality (with its own storage) and you've got what strikes me as a damn good investment for a lot of character builds.

Like you're saying, it's certainly possible to buy physical equipment that duplicates most of these functions, but that's true for a lot of stuff. Just kinda depends on how convenient you want the capabilities to be.

With everyone having commlinks, storage becomes almost too easy. As for convenient, just have them as a microphone enhancement of RFID tag built into an earring. If you skinlink it and then slave it to your commlink then you should be good to go.

@ Rotbart van Dainig: Now as to the Balance augmenter... can that be used to augment your Gymnastics skill? If so then I'm REALLY going to have to squeeze one in.
sunnyside
The trick, I think, is that nowhere do capacity rules appear for stuff you wear. For example you have to get the bigger cybereyes/ears if you want to add in all the goodies, or you could just fit absolutly everything into a contact lens...

If your GM adds capacity rules than pretty soon you need cumbersome stuff to get the full bonuses, and then the internal stuff looks more appealing.
Captain K
Not to mention that building all of those bonuses into some customized earrings, rather than sucking it up and dropping a bit of Essence on the actual cyber, just reeks to me of trying to dodge the rules.

I guess it's technically possible, but it just doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of the game.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Sep 25 2008, 06:30 AM) *
The trick, I think, is that nowhere do capacity rules appear for stuff you wear. For example you have to get the bigger cybereyes/ears if you want to add in all the goodies, or you could just fit absolutly everything into a contact lens...

If your GM adds capacity rules than pretty soon you need cumbersome stuff to get the full bonuses, and then the internal stuff looks more appealing.

I think they "balance" it out by using the Availability rules. For a contact lens with all the goodies you are looking at an Availability of something like 24 or more. Sure you can find it... good luck in your search. You might have an easier time finding the Holy Grail or Eden... the REAL Eden.
CanRay
The selective sound filter is essential when you're a wheelman.

It allows you to cut out the screams of terror the rest of the group has while you drive like a maniac! wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Now as to the Balance augmenter... can that be used to augment your Gymnastics skill?

No - better: It provides the character with +1 die on all tests involving balance.
That can be a lot, starting with falling damage resistance, to piloting tests on a bike and possible even melee combat and defense tests.
As soon as penalties for being off balance due to cirumstances or movement come into play, it's certain to apply, too.
Kairo
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 25 2008, 07:14 AM) *
The selective sound filter is essential when you're a wheelman.

It allows you to cut out the screams of terror the rest of the group has while you drive like a maniac! wink.gif

+1

That reminds me of one of the old C.L.U.E. files...
Ol' Scratch
For most of my characters, I just go with a tricked out Earbud and call it a day.
Sir_Psycho
By RAW, it is more effective to get a lot of cyber enhancements replaced by gear. Take the cyber-arm gyromount. You can just wear one. Why get a radar sensor implanted when you could just carry one? Why would you get an illegal cyber-spur implanted in your hand when you could carry a ceramic knife instead?

Cyberware is often about convenience. You always have cyber-ears. They're legal so you can take them anywhere. If an enemy has an opportunity to rip your cybernetic eardrums out of your head, you've got other problems to worry about. RFID ear-rings? Sure, it's a little munchy, but whatever. I was play-fighting with a tomboy named Ciara in primary school. I accidentally ripped her earing out of her ear-lobe. Of course there's no RAW to suggest this would happen during SR combat, but it's food for thought.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Sep 25 2008, 10:30 AM) *
By RAW, it is more effective to get a lot of cyber enhancements replaced by gear. Take the cyber-arm gyromount. You can just wear one. Why get a radar sensor implanted when you could just carry one? Why would you get an illegal cyber-spur implanted in your hand when you could carry a ceramic knife instead?

Cyberware is often about convenience. You always have cyber-ears. They're legal so you can take them anywhere. If an enemy has an opportunity to rip your cybernetic eardrums out of your head, you've got other problems to worry about. RFID ear-rings? Sure, it's a little munchy, but whatever. I was play-fighting with a tomboy named Ciara in primary school. I accidentally ripped her earing out of her ear-lobe. Of course there's no RAW to suggest this would happen during SR combat, but it's food for thought.

Considering that RFID tags can be inplanted under the skin without Essence loss, why not "implant" it under the skin of you ear... the little nub just before you enter the ear canal.
Tarantula
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 02:32 AM) *
just get two or three RFID microphones and load up on the goodies!

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 04:18 AM) *
As for convenient, just have them as a microphone enhancement of RFID tag built into an earring.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 25 2008, 10:34 AM) *
Considering that RFID tags can be inplanted under the skin without Essence loss, why not "implant" it under the skin of you ear... the little nub just before you enter the ear canal.

Sounds like you want to cheat the system. First, sensor tags are programmed to monitor a person/object and respond to conditions. SR4, 319, "Sensor Tags: These tags are equipped with a sensor (see Sensors, p. 325) and are programmed to monitor a certain object/ person/environment and respond to certain conditions. Sensor tags are used for diagnostic purposes in various devices, vehicle components, and cyberware, as well as to monitor temperature in food shipments, and many similar purposes."

Second, heading over to the sensors page, SR4, 325, sure, you could get a microphone RFID sensor, but you can't put audio enhancements on it. Those are earbuds/headphones by canon, and those alone. Now, you could buy earbuds and then have them accept a feed off a RFID microphone, but with a range of 3 feet, they aren't much use.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 25 2008, 01:59 PM) *
Second, heading over to the sensors page, SR4, 325, sure, you could get a microphone RFID sensor, but you can't put audio enhancements on it.

Uhm, no. You can have audio enhancements integrated into a microphone. It's referenced in multiple places in the rules, not the least of which is actually the Microsphone sensor description.

That said, I don't get the fetish people have about using RFIDs as sensor packages. It's awkward and clumsy. Just put them on devices you already own. A commlink (handheld/minidrone) has a sensor capacity of 3, for instance, so just tack on three capacity units worth of sensors in your commlink's description and price. I'd even treat a pair of electronic glasses the same way (also handheld/minidrone) allowing you to throw on those self-same sensors to your glasses. You still have Availability limits to worry about with enhancements (which I think is goofy as hell), but that's going to happen with anything you get. Hell, just work them into your regular clothing (Capacity 6) or anything else.

There's no need to get all weird and cheesy with "surgically implanted earlobe RFIDs" and whatnot.
Tarantula
Hrm, I missed that. Let me ammend it then. Great, you have a microphone RFID sensor, and how are you listening to what it hears? Earbud? Headphone? DNI Simsense?
the_real_elwood
In one of the old sourcebooks (SR2 I think), one of the Shadowland commenters reports on successfully using the select sound filter to tone out his significant other. That's got to make it worth it.
CanRay
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Sep 25 2008, 03:50 PM) *
In one of the old sourcebooks (SR2 I think), one of the Shadowland commenters reports on successfully using the select sound filter to tone out his significant other. That's got to make it worth it.

And set it to signal when "Are you listening to me?" is asked so you can finally answer, "Yes." at the appropriate times. nyahnyah.gif
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Sep 25 2008, 10:30 AM) *
Take the cyber-arm gyromount. You can just wear one.

Wait, you can what?
Fortune
You can get the Gyromount as a modification for Heavy Armor, but as far as I know that is the only way, other than cyber.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 25 2008, 01:59 PM) *
Sounds like you want to cheat the system. First, sensor tags are programmed to monitor a person/object and respond to conditions. SR4, 319, "Sensor Tags: These tags are equipped with a sensor (see Sensors, p. 325) and are programmed to monitor a certain object/ person/environment and respond to certain conditions. Sensor tags are used for diagnostic purposes in various devices, vehicle components, and cyberware, as well as to monitor temperature in food shipments, and many similar purposes."

Second, heading over to the sensors page, SR4, 325, sure, you could get a microphone RFID sensor, but you can't put audio enhancements on it. Those are earbuds/headphones by canon, and those alone. Now, you could buy earbuds and then have them accept a feed off a RFID microphone, but with a range of 3 feet, they aren't much use.

Actually by RAW you can put ANY audio enhancement into a microphone... even a RFID one. If you can find out any different then please tell me what book and page.

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 25 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Hrm, I missed that. Let me ammend it then. Great, you have a microphone RFID sensor, and how are you listening to what it hears? Earbud? Headphone? DNI Simsense?

DNI of course. You don't even need a Simsense module. Just feed the data stream though your datajack.
cndblank
A lot depends on the game the GM is running.

I'm running 4th in 2054 so I don't have a lot of the problems (Techo whats?)

The current edition is stressing people not getting data jacks and the like.

Right now people are spending thousands of dollars to have laser eye surgery so they don't have to wear glasses.

You going to tell me that people wouldn't spend the same amount to not have to wear sun glasses, see at night, or worry about wearing a display link?

Let alone being able to take a picture with a thought.

Cain
[nitpick mode ON]
Now, you could buy earbuds and then have them accept a feed off a RFID microphone, but with a range of 3 feet, they aren't much use.

Three meters, not three feet. Three meters is about ten feet. Quite a difference there.
[/nitpick mode OFF]

Captain Metric strikes again! wobble.gif
Falconer
KCKitsune:
Synner stated in one of the other threads, that cameras and mics. Erratawise, each enhancement of a camera or mic would eat up one additional capacity of the sensors. So if that errata makes it through (which I think it will), then an ultra tricked out mic is not a mere 1 capacity and is no longer elgible for a lowly RFID sensor tag.

I think that's likely to make it through, as it's a key element in controlling sensor suites and upgrading them to upgrade sensor ratings.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Falconer @ Sep 25 2008, 10:26 PM) *
KCKitsune:
Synner stated in one of the other threads, that cameras and mics. Erratawise, each enhancement of a camera or mic would eat up one additional capacity of the sensors. So if that errata makes it through (which I think it will), then an ultra tricked out mic is not a mere 1 capacity and is no longer elgible for a lowly RFID sensor tag.

I think that's likely to make it through, as it's a key element in controlling sensor suites and upgrading them to upgrade sensor ratings.

OK, then they better put a capacity on an Earbud. Otherwise you can trick out an Earbud to all Hell and back.

@cndblank: The only function that can't be replicated with contacts is the Eye Recorder. As for getting the contacts into your eye please look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraocular_lens

Now I know what everyone is going to say... how do you recharge THAT?!?

Intel came up with a way of using magnetics to power devices... stands to reason that you could REcharge a device like these IOL's the same way.
Captain K
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 02:58 AM) *
OK, then they better put a capacity on an Earbud. Otherwise you can trick out an Earbud to all Hell and back.

@cndblank: The only function that can't be replicated with contacts is the Eye Recorder. As for getting the contacts into your eye please look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraocular_lens

Now I know what everyone is going to say... how do you recharge THAT?!?

Intel came up with a way of using magnetics to power devices... stands to reason that you could REcharge a device like these IOL's the same way.

This still all just seems like you're trying to come up with an explanation for why your character should get the benefits of the cyberware versions of these mods (like never having to worry about whether they're at hand/functioning) without having to spend the Essence.

An intraocular lens tricked out with Vision Enhancement--an implanted upgrade that you never need to worry about because it's always available--basically is the Vision Enhancement cyber mod.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 26 2008, 03:34 AM) *
This still all just seems like you're trying to come up with an explanation for why your character should get the benefits of the cyberware versions of these mods (like never having to worry about whether they're at hand/functioning) without having to spend the Essence.

An intraocular lens tricked out with Vision Enhancement--an implanted upgrade that you never need to worry about because it's always available--basically is the Vision Enhancement cyber mod.

OK, if you skinlink the lens to your commlink or your datajack, then how does it impact your Essence? The damn thing LITERALLY doesn't replace anything, has no linkage to your nervous system, and is completely inert.

Game mechanics-wise, the IOL is no different than a regular contact lens... other than the regular contact doesn't cost you a trip to the eye doctor to get it put in. I say this because there is no rule mechanics for losing the contact... heck it might even use nanotech to keep itself attached to the eye. Anyways, that was a topic for another thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic: What's the difference between Increased Sensitivity and Audio Enhancement?

Audio Enhancement (pg 324 of the Core Rule Book):
Audio enhancement allows the user to receive a broader spectrum of audio frequencies (including those outside the user's normal audible spectrum, like high and low frequencies)

Increased Sensitivity (pg 37 of Augmentation):
This modification allows the user to hear sounds outside the range of normal metahuman hearing. The user can hear both ultrasonic, high-frequency sounds (including ultrasound emitters) and infrasonic, low-frequency noises.

Honestly, these sound almost EXACTLY the same... just that the Audio Enhancement gives you more dice for a Listening perception check.
Captain K
I'd say the debate we're having really is the topic for this thread. You ask "are cyberear mods worth it?" The answer depends on how much you interpret the spirit of the fluff to serve your game mechanics needs.

If your gaming group decides that always-attached, always-on, implanted versions of enhancements are not cyberware and therefore don't cost Essence, then of course the cyberware modifications aren't worth it. You've found a way around having to spend Essence to get all the benefits of the cyber enhancements.

I'm not saying that you can't play the game the way you want--whatever your group decides to do is the way your group should play. But it seems like you've jumped past this pretty basic question, and the way I see it, once you answer it the way you're answering it, the answer to the initial question--"are cyberear mods worth it?"--is a resounding "no".

But, I'll reiterate--play the game the way you like! And since there's not much more I can do to spell out what I'm saying here, I'll make this my last post on the subject. It's your thread. biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Keep in minda that any kind of Sensor Package Size has a Signal Rating that limits the effective range of the Sensors included.
So an RFID microphone will only reliably record sounds within 3m range - everything farther away will just be garbled noise.

Of course, there are earplugs.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 11:19 AM) *
What's the difference between Increased Sensitivity and Audio Enhancement?

According to Synner in Augmentation, really nothing actually - the former is just a bit cheaper.
Captain K
EDIT: this is incorrect

The description for Increased Sensitivity in Augmentation says that it specifically allows the character "to hear sounds outside the range of normal metahuman hearing", so it's not really a substitute for Audio Enhancement--more of a companion product.

Audio Enhancement lets you hear normal sounds that would, in context, normally be too quiet for unaugmented hearing--somebody quietly cocking a pistol a hundred feet away, for example--while Increased Sensitivity lets you hear ultrasound emitters and whale communication. nyahnyah.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
No.
QUOTE (Synner @ Jul 28 2007, 12:46 AM) *
Yes, Increased Sensitivity allows for part of the functionality of Audio Enhancement (it does not grant dice) for a lower cost.

If you got Audio Enhancement, there is no reason at all to get Increased Sensitivity.
Captain K
Cool, I stand corrected.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 26 2008, 04:52 AM) *
Keep in minda that any kind of Sensor Package Size has a Signal Rating that limits the effective range of the Sensors included.
So an RFID microphone will only reliably record sounds within 3m range - everything farther away will just be garbled noise.

Of course, there are earplugs.

According to Synner in Augmentation, really nothing actually - the former is just a bit cheaper.

RFID microphones are going to be on your body... like the earbuds so I don't see that as being a problem. Also thank you for the clarification WRT Audio Enhancement vs. Increased Sensitivity.

QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 26 2008, 04:28 AM) *
I'd say the debate we're having really is the topic for this thread. You ask "are cyberear mods worth it?" The answer depends on how much you interpret the spirit of the fluff to serve your game mechanics needs.

If your gaming group decides that always-attached, always-on, implanted versions of enhancements are not cyberware and therefore don't cost Essence, then of course the cyberware modifications aren't worth it. You've found a way around having to spend Essence to get all the benefits of the cyber enhancements.

That's just WRT cyber eyes. Earbuds can fall out easily. Now I know this will go over about as well as a Depleted Uranium Balloon, but I honestly think that the Essence Cost of cybereyes should be reduced. Honestly the technology for what I'm describing is almost here in real life. I know that all the real gamers out there are crying "Cheater!" or "Quit your bitching!", but honestly, other than a game balance issue, what is wrong with an IOL with hardening 6 (to resist those pesky EMPs grinbig.gif )?

QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 26 2008, 04:28 AM) *
I'm not saying that you can't play the game the way you want--whatever your group decides to do is the way your group should play. But it seems like you've jumped past this pretty basic question, and the way I see it, once you answer it the way you're answering it, the answer to the initial question--"are cyberear mods worth it?"--is a resounding "no".

But, I'll reiterate--play the game the way you like! And since there's not much more I can do to spell out what I'm saying here, I'll make this my last post on the subject. It's your thread. biggrin.gif

I wish I had a group that played Shadowrun! Right now I'm in a gaming dead land. I ask these questions because I like the cyberware/magic fluff of this game. I don't like the political fluff (honestly Mega Corps with armies... talk about inefficiencies and a profit sink!) and we ALL know that governments would rather KILL a corp than give up any of THEIR power.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 12:34 PM) *
RFID microphones are going to be on your body... like the earbuds so I don't see that as being a problem.

The 'problem' is that RFID Sensors are range limited, while earbuds aren't.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 26 2008, 08:45 PM) *
The 'problem' is that RFID Sensors are range limited, while earbuds aren't.

Is this actually the case? I thought it was only the RFID tag's own 'broadcast range' that was limited, which would not necessarily limit or affect the range of any Sensors (or other device) linked to, or incorporated into the tag.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SR4v3, p. 325, Sensors)
Each package has a sensor range that indicates the limits of the sensor's reach (see the Signal Rating Table, p. 212), though some specific sensors have their own maximum ranges.

That's why getting Improved Sensor Array for Micro-(and Mini-)Drones is really a good idea.
Ravor
Although I agree that the Essence Costs of cyberware really should be tweaked in general, I see Essence Loss as being the result of Pattern Warping, so yeah, your fancy implanted contacts are still going to cost you Essence no matter what. Remember that sex changes, plastic surgery, Mr Stud and cyber breasts all cost Essence as well.
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 26 2008, 04:52 AM) *

Is there a verification for that? I'm pretty sure the sensor equipment isn't limited by device rating, only the actual wireless connection. I may be wrong, but I'd like to see a quote if I am.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 05:34 AM) *
I don't like the political fluff (honestly Mega Corps with armies... talk about inefficiencies and a profit sink!) and we ALL know that governments would rather KILL a corp than give up any of THEIR power.

I think you have RL corps and government mixed up. The American government is apparently run by corporate lobbyists.
Tarantula
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 02:19 AM) *
Game mechanics-wise, the IOL is no different than a regular contact lens... other than the regular contact doesn't cost you a trip to the eye doctor to get it put in. I say this because there is no rule mechanics for losing the contact... heck it might even use nanotech to keep itself attached to the eye. Anyways, that was a topic for another thread.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 03:34 AM) *
That's just WRT cyber eyes. Earbuds can fall out easily. Now I know this will go over about as well as a Depleted Uranium Balloon, but I honestly think that the Essence Cost of cybereyes should be reduced. Honestly the technology for what I'm describing is almost here in real life. I know that all the real gamers out there are crying "Cheater!" or "Quit your bitching!", but honestly, other than a game balance issue, what is wrong with an IOL with hardening 6 (to resist those pesky EMPs grinbig.gif )?

Your fancily described implants fall under the, "For those who don’t want to go for the full switch, many cybereye features are offered as non-replacement retinal modifications to the natural eyes." and "Like eyeware, earware can be installed within a complete cyberear replacement (costing Capacity) or as an inner ear modification (costing Essence)."
Sentences. Why? You're not replacing the eye, but you're still enhancing it. Available are retinal mods and inner ear mods that duplicate the capacity replacements.

You still haven't addressed that RFID sensor tags are programmed to monitor a certain object/persion/environment and respond to conditions. Not pass what they sense along.

Now, you could get a micro sensor as an earring or somesuch that would do what you're wanting... But since you're having to transmit the data wirelessly (instead of just playing it in a speaker) then thats another vulnerability to you getting it hacked/edited. Or, you can skinlink it, for an extra 50¥ (instead of just paying 10 for a pair of earbuds that you can then enhance). Like you said, theres no rules for earbuds falling out, so you can safely assume you always have them in. No need for the implants without essence arguements.
Ravor
Actually if you want to be within RAW, equipment getting jostled, lost, ect is perfectly within the realms of glicthing. But then again, I've worn contacts before getting eye surgery so I'm not nearly as nice to people trying to claim equipment is as relayable as implants.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 26 2008, 11:20 AM) *
Your fancily described implants fall under the, "For those who don’t want to go for the full switch, many cybereye features are offered as non-replacement retinal modifications to the natural eyes." and "Like eyeware, earware can be installed within a complete cyberear replacement (costing Capacity) or as an inner ear modification (costing Essence)."
Sentences. Why? You're not replacing the eye, but you're still enhancing it. Available are retinal mods and inner ear mods that duplicate the capacity replacements.

That's the rub WRT eye mods. A cyberware eye mod is a retinal modification. What I'm proposing is a lens inserted into the eye and using a skinlink and a datajack (or trode net... that would be annoying) to control voluntary features like vision mag, smartlink, etc. A IOL would not have any nerve linkage, replace anything in the eye, and is completely un-reactive with human body. I know that for game balance issues it would have to cost Essence, but in a "real" world scenario would it really affect a person's Essence since we know that a RFID tag doesn't cost Essence.

Now with a hearing mod... I don't know. I would have to see how it would work. For a Sound Link you could have a small "speaker" put right on the mastoid bone so you could have audio. For the others... I don't know.

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 26 2008, 11:20 AM) *
You still haven't addressed that RFID sensor tags are programmed to monitor a certain object/persion/environment and respond to conditions. Not pass what they sense along.

A RFID sensor is just that, a sensor in a RFID form factor. As for sending the data to the person wearing it... skinlink it and route the data to a commlink if the person doesn't have a datajack.
Ravor
Under my vision of Essence Loss, yes, because you are inserting something into the metahuman body that simply is not supposed to be there.

Remember that the eyes are windows into the soul.
Tarantula
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 26 2008, 10:57 AM) *
That's the rub WRT eye mods. A cyberware eye mod is a retinal modification. What I'm proposing is a lens inserted into the eye and using a skinlink and a datajack (or trode net... that would be annoying) to control voluntary features like vision mag, smartlink, etc. A IOL would not have any nerve linkage, replace anything in the eye, and is completely un-reactive with human body. I know that for game balance issues it would have to cost Essence, but in a "real" world scenario would it really affect a person's Essence since we know that a RFID tag doesn't cost Essence.

Now with a hearing mod... I don't know. I would have to see how it would work. For a Sound Link you could have a small "speaker" put right on the mastoid bone so you could have audio. For the others... I don't know.

A RFID sensor is just that, a sensor in a RFID form factor. As for sending the data to the person wearing it... skinlink it and route the data to a commlink if the person doesn't have a datajack.

First, in a "real" world scenario, we don't have essence values floating around arbitrarily. So that arguement is worthless, because there is no such measurement. In fact, it would mean nothing costs essence, since there is no essence.

Mastoid bone is in the inner ear, so that would be the same kind of modification as described, and thus, be essence costing.

RFID sensor is described in the book, and it responds to stimuli. That is it. For a fully functioning sensor they way you want, you need micro sensors, read the descriptions.

You can skinlink the RFID sensor, but all it would do is tell you when whatever trigger event its listening for (maybe, someone saying "murder") in its range, happened. And it'd go "someone said murder!" to your commlink.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FlashbackJon @ Sep 26 2008, 04:27 PM) *
Is there a verification for that? I'm pretty sure the sensor equipment isn't limited by device rating, only the actual wireless connection. I may be wrong, but I'd like to see a quote if I am.

See above.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 26 2008, 05:54 AM) *
Is this actually the case? I thought it was only the RFID tag's own 'broadcast range' that was limited, which would not necessarily limit or affect the range of any Sensors (or other device) linked to, or incorporated into the tag.

The device's Signal Rating is usd. There's nothing stopping you from getting a Signal upgrade on an RFID, however, except a decent GM. I still think it's goofy to go that route instead of just incorporating sensors into the gear you already possess (and which usually have a decent Signal rating).
Fortune
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 27 2008, 02:27 PM) *
I still think it's goofy to go that route instead of just incorporating sensors into the gear you already possess (and which usually have a decent Signal rating).

I'm not disputing that. biggrin.gif

I just asked because I've been away from my books for too long, and Sensors have never been my strong point.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 27 2008, 06:27 AM) *
The device's Signal Rating is usd.

Not quite. The Sensor Package Size determines a Signal Rating that is also used as the effective range of the Sensor.
As the rules state that sensor range is determined by the package, it's not a given thing that upgrading the Signal Rating of a Device will do anything to it's sensor range - nor does it even suggest that incorporating a Sensor Package into a Device with a higher Signal would allow the Sensor Package to use that Signal Rating.

There are Sensors that have their own Signal rating of course, as well as Sensors that have a fixed range, too... but in that case, it would be the smallest range, either defined by sensor or sensor package.
CanRay
OK, why is Cyberaudio Mods worth getting?

Here's why. Shadowrunners do a lot of shooting inside buildings and automobiles. They're exposed to loud explosions all the time (Flash-Bang Grenades, shaped charges, and so on.).

Soon, their natural hearing is going to be gone. (Try talking to someone that's been in the Artillery Corp someday. One that forgot to wear hearing protection!).

So, either they pay a lot to get it fixed constantly (Which the Magicians would like as it's a non-invasive/no essence thing, but a constant cost), or get cyberaudio systems installed once and Bob's your Uncle.
streetangelj
I guess I'm gonna show my age here, but replacing all the cyber with skinlinked micronized gear just seems to be losing the spirit of cyberpunk. I know it's realistic (after all a $20 handheld calculator these days has at least twice the power of my first computer and I won't even get into what cellphones can do) but cyberwear is practically a necessity as far as I'm concerned when it comes to sensory mods if not for the reasons Canray suggested alone.
Ravor
Also people are too caught up in the entire min-max can't "waste" Essence to think about the pure and utter goodness have never having to look for the fragging remote, or their galsses, hearing aid, ect...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012