Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DMZ Questions
locomotiveman
post Dec 26 2003, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 654

I was in the local game store this morning, and what to my wondering eyes did appear but a copy of DMZ. I guess what I want to know is, is it worth owning, and or playing? I've never actually come across a copy before, so I don't know anything about the game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 26 2003, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I've been considering getting a copy meself. Anyone with experience?

~J

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Dec 26 2003, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

I would love to tell you all about it but in all the years I have owned this product I have never played it. Although I have glanced over it it has some maps that a former gm of mine used once or twice other than that no clue.

Now as to what comes in it:

A book with archetypes (although mine has several pages printed twice starts on page 17 goes to 24 then 9 to 40 then 25 to 32) so no clue as to how useful this is.

9 map sheets 5 punchout pieces

Then the main book that tells you how to play the game. Also gives info on the maps.

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Dec 26 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

i've owned it for about 6 years, and maybe played it 5 times. in my opinion, its pretty fun as a stand alone game, since it has its own set of rules that don't really match those of shadowrun, and you can have a good time fielding a team of runners/thugs/cops/whatever against your friends' teams. but, for being a "board" game, it has some pretty complicated rules. pretty close to battletech, actually. I wouldn't use it as an in game supplement (it has rules for converting your characters) since its a lot more deadly than shadowrun tends to be.

hope i've helped :)

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Dec 26 2003, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,702

I bought it when if first came out and have only played it two or three times. If you wanna make the game more complicated, slower, and a lot less fun, DMZ is the way to go. Maybe if I played it more and got used to the rules it would be more fun, but I doubt it. Save your :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Ferratus
post Dec 27 2003, 02:57 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 5,658

IMHO, having played it and used it, it is worth owning, if nothing else for the maps to use for your regular game. Nothing like having a glossy to give players an idea of what the joint looks like.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Dec 27 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

...What, praytell, is DMZ? :?

Sorry for the newbie question...

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 27 2003, 03:07 AM
Post #8

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Demilitarized Zone, IIRC. A board game for Shadowrun that none too many seem to know about.

I've seen it for cheap on eBay. At first I thought it was a sourcebook, but then I found out that it's a board game.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 27 2003, 03:12 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Actually, the name is Downtown Militarized Zone. Enough people know about it, and in my opinion it is worth the purchase (depending on the price, of course). I've played it a few times, and it was good fun after we got a grasp on the rules. :)

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 27 2003, 03:18 AM
Post #10

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

OK, so I'm just thinking it's some military jargon. Suits me.

Anywho. What, exactly, is the point of the game?

Besides winning... :S

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 27 2003, 03:22 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

It's pretty much a combat-style board game set in the Shadowrun world.

+Quote Post
D.Generate
post Dec 27 2003, 08:29 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,203

Its a good buy i say if only for all the little cardboard pieces, useful for all those large combats that are hard to keep track of. The maps are also good. The rules for the actual game are a bit complicated, i wouldn't say as bad as the B-tech rules, but definately alot of rules for a board game. thats is all take care chummers but this mage is off to bed.

+Quote Post
locomotiveman
post Dec 29 2003, 03:14 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

If its not as hard to do as battletech, it must be quite simple then. I always found battletech rediculously easy, hell we would do lance on lance on lance battles in 40 minute study halls in high school.

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Dec 29 2003, 06:22 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

the only real problem with the game is that there's no real value system applied to the characters used. so there's no way to just say "okay, lets play a thirty point game". I'm sure someone could make one though, i'm just too lazy :)

+Quote Post
DV8
post Dec 29 2003, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 116

I saw a copy of it some time ago, and decided not to buy it, because it seemed like a bad contender for Shadowrun: Duels, which is, and has been for a while now, Wizkids' main focus in table top strategic Shadowrun combat.

+Quote Post
locomotiveman
post Dec 29 2003, 08:21 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Well, it has been around since forever, i mean, its what 2nd edition equivilent?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.