IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Notorious or not?, Whats the general feeling on being notorious?
grotznif
post Oct 23 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,357

Im in a shadowrun gang and have been very successfully and we are getting a name for ourselves but being shadowrunners I would prefer to stay unknown and out of sight while some other characters are big on getting their name out there and nearly advertising?

Just wondering what the general feeling is among you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ruin-Gar
post Oct 23 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 15,950

Personally, I like to stay as low-profile as possible.

The only people who should be aware of you, and how effective you are, are your fixers, IMHO.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 23 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Some people pose for the pictures on their wanted posters too.

People who make a name for themselves attract people who make a living hunting down famous crooks.

+Quote Post
grotznif
post Oct 23 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,357

Thats the way i see my character playing out a life (long) and unknown.

I use a drone rigger so im quite happy to stay away and let the drones get their hands dirty

+Quote Post
JudgementLoaf
post Oct 23 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 15,945

Depends on how (or in some cases how long....) you want to live. Having a well know runner can lead to more jobs. Having a downright notorious runner tends to get you sent on half-crazy suicide missions. That usually pay pretty well.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 24 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

You want to make a name for yourself in the right circles. You want corporate Johnson's and fixers to know your name. you do not want to be on the gossip sheets in the Stuffer Shack.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Oct 24 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

And yet if no-one knows you. No-one will hire you either. Notoriety has its merits.

-Chrysalis

+Quote Post
Namelessjoe
post Oct 24 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 16,532

i'd say notiority is the bad side of being know the streed cred is good they theu combine to how much the public (shadow and normal peeps combined) know you and are willing to hire you.....

and Hi im along time lurker new member (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Oct 24 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (Namelessjoe @ Oct 24 2008, 09:41 PM) *
i'd say notiority is the bad side of being know the streed cred is good they theu combine to how much the public (shadow and normal peeps combined) know you and are willing to hire you.....

Welcome to the shadows chummer!!!

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 24 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

How would someone with the Erased positive quality affect your notoriety? I mean if you have the 10 pt version you could possibly kill someone and only word of mouth would stay in the public eye, and we all know how word of mouth "mutates" and then dies off. The Matrix data of your little crime is going to get wiped out pretty quickly.

The reason I ask this is because I have a changeling with Erased (10 pt) and an AI contact (6/5)*, and the AI would make sure his buddy is not getting ragged on by Lone Star.

* I figure that to get Erased (10 pt) that you need either an AI contact or have a good hacker group as a contact to erase your data trail. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 25 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #11

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Pink Mohawk all the way Baby! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Oct 25 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

I always figured that I wanted to be notorious in the right crowds. You don't want to be notorious with the general public or the law enforcement community, but I definitely wanted to be notorious within the shadowrunning community. Have your name spoken in hushed tones with awe and respect by the regular crowd on Shadowland. If you can impress Captain Chaos, FastJack, Hatchetman, Matador/Picador, and so on, then you know you've really hit the big time.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 25 2008, 03:37 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

There is an advantage to being known for using excessive brutality and violence with exceptional skill and proficiency. Though a handful of generally crazy exceptionally violent people will want to make a name for themselves by offing you, the vast majority of people will, in fact, treat you with the utmost politeness and deference.

So-called savage cultures tend to be substantially more civil than so-called civilized societies. When people believe themselves to be safe with the knowledge that an accidental insult will not earn them a horrific death, their tongues tend to be loose and their manners tend to be lacking. But when people believe that the slightest breach of etiquette could mean certain doom, they tend to be polite to a fault.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 25 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #14

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Namelessjoe @ Oct 24 2008, 09:41 PM) *

hope you remembered that indestructible lined coat...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 25 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #15

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 25 2008, 05:37 AM) *
So-called savage cultures tend to be substantially more civil than so-called civilized societies. When people believe themselves to be safe with the knowledge that an accidental insult will not earn them a horrific death, their tongues tend to be loose and their manners tend to be lacking. But when people believe that the slightest breach of etiquette could mean certain doom, they tend to be polite to a fault.

a variant of the old "a armed society is a polite society"?

i guess it can be correct, in that humans seems to gravitate to wards all kinds of negative behavior if one can get away with it.

sad really...

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Oct 25 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 25 2008, 11:01 AM) *
a variant of the old "a armed society is a polite society"?

i guess it can be correct, in that humans seems to gravitate to wards all kinds of negative behavior if one can get away with it.

sad really...

Education does matter.
If people are raised with the concept that you shouldn't do to the others what you wouldn't want to be done to you, that your freedom ends where other's freedom starts and you have to respect to be respected, it would be natural to be polite unless your dealing with someone whos asking for rudeness.
Obviously the politeness must be sign of respect or it becomes just an insult (what would you prefer, brash respect or silken packaged comptent?); and living condition matters to if you're subject to unfair social condition, wihtout a way to make a living you tend to get frustrated and end up needing to vent out (social inequities foster violence).
Add to this that all to often people don't have the time (or willingness) to stay with their children, that consumism have brought to a "me before everything else" mind asset, the media that often give the message that in order to be "cool" you must impose yourself over others (seriously when I was a child we usualy competed to tell how rich/important our parents were, every one had the BIGGEST cars and houses, I remenber that onces I said that my father owned a bank, all to "gain" status among fellow todlers; nowdays I similar discussions among children, with the difference that now is not "I'm something big" but "you are dreck", I've even seen thing going phisical) and you unthestand that is not a matter of people don't fear retribution, heck weapons in a such contest just encourage "do it yourself justice" and escalation to violence (which is good for arms manufacturers).
By personal axperience I tell that etiquette enforced trought fear produces subjects that as soon as they can get away with it they'll break away from said etiquette, and possibly from respect for people (even to the point of phisical violence).

And for the weapons line.... have you ever seen "Bowling to Columbine"?

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 25 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 24 2008, 02:30 PM) *
And yet if no-one knows you. No-one will hire you either. Notoriety has its merits.

-Chrysalis

Right, you do not want to be "John Dillenger" "John Wesley Haren" famous that everyone knows you and you can't get any peace. You do want to be like Robert Parkers "Hawk" or "Vinnie Morris" known to be the person to call for a job.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 08:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.