Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What EXACTLY is a drone rack?
Tyro
post Nov 5 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

The book gives a very sketchy view of what they are/what they do. I see them as a kind of docking station, a place on the vehicle to plug in securely, not rattle around during a high speed chase and get recharged. What do you think?

A note to the mods: I would have used a version icon, but I don't know how (and didn't see a sticky explaining; I didn't look especially hard, I'll admit, but I did look). If you could add an SR4 icon for me and let me know how so I can do it myself in the future, I would be very appreciative.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 5 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Imagine a kind of a bike rack - except its sixty years in the future, the bike has treads and sensors and manipulator arms, and the rack has a little power-up station so the drone can recharge while it waits to be unleashed.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 5 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I think it's a slang term used by cyborgs, riggers and drones with personality chips to describe the upper body of a drone with female connectors.

Rigger: Hey man! Check the rack on that Docking Station!
Drone: I'd sure love to recharge myself in there, if you see what I mean.
Cyborg: You're disgusting! Don't you care about her Resonance?

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Nov 5 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

I imagine it as a moving platform/opening compartment with robotic arms that secure a drone. If you had a rotor drone it might have a rack on the roof of your GMC bulldog. The Pilot matches the speed and the drone rack plucks the drone from the air and then withdraws it into storage space within the vehicle. Depending on the size, they could be concealed as air conditioners or something.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Nov 5 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

That was very helpful (except where it was hilarious, which is helpful in its own way - I have clinical depression, but I digress). Thank you all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Nov 5 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Tyro @ Nov 5 2008, 07:27 AM) *
A note to the mods: I would have used a version icon, but I don't know how (and didn't see a sticky explaining; I didn't look especially hard, I'll admit, but I did look). If you could add an SR4 icon for me and let me know how so I can do it myself in the future, I would be very appreciative.

Under the box where you type your post, but above the "Post New Topic" button are all the post icons. Select the one you want by clicking on the circle to the left of it, and there you go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
crizh
post Nov 5 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 5 2008, 02:12 PM) *
I imagine it as a moving platform/opening compartment with robotic arms that secure a drone. If you had a rotor drone it might have a rack on the roof of your GMC bulldog. The Pilot matches the speed and the drone rack plucks the drone from the air and then withdraws it into storage space within the vehicle. Depending on the size, they could be concealed as air conditioners or something.

Presumably most of this would only be the case for a Landing Drone Rack.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Nov 9 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 5 2008, 07:32 AM) *
Under the box where you type your post, but above the "Post New Topic" button are all the post icons. Select the one you want by clicking on the circle to the left of it, and there you go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Nov 9 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

QUOTE (crizh @ Nov 5 2008, 12:17 PM) *
Presumably most of this would only be the case for a Landing Drone Rack.

Whoops. Agreed. I've never considered using anything other than the Landing Drone Racks anyway. If it can't pick up what it puts down, then how is it better than getting your Doberman drone to just jump in the back of your van?

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 9 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

When I picture them I always picture the human space fighters from Babylon 5 deploying from... Babylon 5. I'll see if I can find a clip...

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Nov 9 2008, 06:25 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 8 2008, 08:12 PM) *
Whoops. Agreed. I've never considered using anything other than the Landing Drone Racks anyway. If it can't pick up what it puts down, then how is it better than getting your Doberman drone to just jump in the back of your van?

Being able to store your drones safely, recharge them, and drop them off at a moments notice is pretty useful even if you have to manually load the drone in the rack, especially if you are short on mod slots.

+Quote Post
Method
post Nov 10 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #12

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

If it were cost effective you could load the standard rack with "fire and forget" drones... I can't think of any example that would be cost effective off hand... maybe if you have a reliable source of drones you can hack?

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Nov 10 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

I always liked the idea of using the multilaunch drone rack. Then using it as a MLRS vertical launch system.

Fill it with a mix of Ares Heimdell drone missiles, expendable ewar & recon drones.

Seems a good use of a drone rack to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.