Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What EXACTLY is a drone rack?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
The book gives a very sketchy view of what they are/what they do. I see them as a kind of docking station, a place on the vehicle to plug in securely, not rattle around during a high speed chase and get recharged. What do you think?

A note to the mods: I would have used a version icon, but I don't know how (and didn't see a sticky explaining; I didn't look especially hard, I'll admit, but I did look). If you could add an SR4 icon for me and let me know how so I can do it myself in the future, I would be very appreciative.
Ancient History
Imagine a kind of a bike rack - except its sixty years in the future, the bike has treads and sensors and manipulator arms, and the rack has a little power-up station so the drone can recharge while it waits to be unleashed.
Blade
I think it's a slang term used by cyborgs, riggers and drones with personality chips to describe the upper body of a drone with female connectors.

Rigger: Hey man! Check the rack on that Docking Station!
Drone: I'd sure love to recharge myself in there, if you see what I mean.
Cyborg: You're disgusting! Don't you care about her Resonance?
Sir_Psycho
I imagine it as a moving platform/opening compartment with robotic arms that secure a drone. If you had a rotor drone it might have a rack on the roof of your GMC bulldog. The Pilot matches the speed and the drone rack plucks the drone from the air and then withdraws it into storage space within the vehicle. Depending on the size, they could be concealed as air conditioners or something.
Tyro
That was very helpful (except where it was hilarious, which is helpful in its own way - I have clinical depression, but I digress). Thank you all smile.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Tyro @ Nov 5 2008, 07:27 AM) *
A note to the mods: I would have used a version icon, but I don't know how (and didn't see a sticky explaining; I didn't look especially hard, I'll admit, but I did look). If you could add an SR4 icon for me and let me know how so I can do it myself in the future, I would be very appreciative.

Under the box where you type your post, but above the "Post New Topic" button are all the post icons. Select the one you want by clicking on the circle to the left of it, and there you go. smile.gif
crizh
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 5 2008, 02:12 PM) *
I imagine it as a moving platform/opening compartment with robotic arms that secure a drone. If you had a rotor drone it might have a rack on the roof of your GMC bulldog. The Pilot matches the speed and the drone rack plucks the drone from the air and then withdraws it into storage space within the vehicle. Depending on the size, they could be concealed as air conditioners or something.

Presumably most of this would only be the case for a Landing Drone Rack.
Tyro
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 5 2008, 07:32 AM) *
Under the box where you type your post, but above the "Post New Topic" button are all the post icons. Select the one you want by clicking on the circle to the left of it, and there you go. smile.gif

Thank you.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (crizh @ Nov 5 2008, 12:17 PM) *
Presumably most of this would only be the case for a Landing Drone Rack.

Whoops. Agreed. I've never considered using anything other than the Landing Drone Racks anyway. If it can't pick up what it puts down, then how is it better than getting your Doberman drone to just jump in the back of your van?
Neraph
When I picture them I always picture the human space fighters from Babylon 5 deploying from... Babylon 5. I'll see if I can find a clip...
TheOOB
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 8 2008, 08:12 PM) *
Whoops. Agreed. I've never considered using anything other than the Landing Drone Racks anyway. If it can't pick up what it puts down, then how is it better than getting your Doberman drone to just jump in the back of your van?

Being able to store your drones safely, recharge them, and drop them off at a moments notice is pretty useful even if you have to manually load the drone in the rack, especially if you are short on mod slots.
Method
If it were cost effective you could load the standard rack with "fire and forget" drones... I can't think of any example that would be cost effective off hand... maybe if you have a reliable source of drones you can hack?
Falconer
I always liked the idea of using the multilaunch drone rack. Then using it as a MLRS vertical launch system.

Fill it with a mix of Ares Heimdell drone missiles, expendable ewar & recon drones.

Seems a good use of a drone rack to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012