Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prime runners?
The Grifter
post Dec 29 2003, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,918

Just curious, at what point would a PC be considered a Prime Runner? Perhaps a certain Karma pool rating? I'm well aware it should be the GM's final call, but I woul think that by reaching Prime Runner status, a PC should perhaps gain a bonus to his/her Negotiation tests when dealing with Johnsons, fixers, etc. Due to street cred and reliability. After all, these runners have proved themselves, so they should be getting better jobs, and payments for doing those jobs. In certain situations, anyway. So, any opinions on this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 29 2003, 08:35 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Entirely relative standard.

Runners could spend their entire careers doing penny-ante jobs without making the limelight.

-Siege

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Dec 29 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Entirely true. But on that note, if they're spending their entire careers doing penny-ante jobs, then they shouldn't reach the limelight. You gotta make the big scores to come out on top, as far as being famous goes. For example, if Joe Blow has been decking his entire life, knows the Matrix inside and out, and you know he has, would you choose him to accompany you on a run, or say, FastJack?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 29 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Depends on my budget and circumstances of the job -- I don't know if I want to play with someone famous in a secretive, shadowy job market.

There's a chance of getting zapped in the crossfire for issues you had nothing to do with.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 29 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Why should they automatically get any kind of bonus to any abilities or skills? If they are indeed a 'Prime Runner', then they have developed the required skills to a level where they already get good jobs and better pay.

+Quote Post
Hot Wheels
post Dec 29 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,470

"Prime Runners" is relative. Look at the music scene today. Someone can talk about a big star and someone else might not have a clue who they are.
I don't like rap and have only heard one song by Emenm, and nothing by "50 cent"but soem people swear they are the "prime runners" of them usic biz, for me i couldn't care less.

+Quote Post
Nargrakhan
post Dec 29 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 4,250

QUOTE (Hot Wheels)
"Prime Runners" is relative. Look at the music scene today. Soemone can talk about a big star and someone else might not have a clue who they are.
I don't like rap and have only heard one song by Emenm, and nothing by "50 cent"but soem people swear they are the "prime runners" of them usic biz, for me i couldn't care less.

So true! I think you hit it on the nose. :)

There are world class movie/music stars in Japan or India that Westerns have never heard of - but these are people are GOOD. Only those "in the know" really are aware of their works.

I suppose there could be an "Inner Circle" that could rant of "Prime Runners" all around the globe - but even things like the Shadowlands doesn't seem to be a true representation of the best in the world; just from certain places of the world. Just like Hollywood has some of the best entertainers in the world, but not all the best in the world.

For example, how many here can right off the bat, name the world’s greatest Akido master? Then how many here can right off the bat name the world’s greatest Boxing champion(s)? Both of them are world level fighters – and both of them are popular; only one is more commonly known around the world, while the other is known within specific circles or locations.

Errr… am I making any sense… ^_^;;;

+Quote Post
grimshear
post Dec 30 2003, 01:39 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 201

I gotta go with Fortune on this one. Someone of "Prime Runner" status shouldn't need any bonuses, as they should probably have the skills to make things happen.

Grim Shear
"Push this button for me, will you?"

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 30 2003, 02:02 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Given the way SR deals with encounters (no reference to a certain other RPG), a higher karma charactor will have to keep going up against more/stronger opponents in order to improve. In order for more/stronger opponents to happen, he'll need to go look for trouble or trouble to look for him.

If he goes looking for trouble, he'll need to look for enough trouble to pose a challenge to him in order to get karma.

If trouble goes looking for him, well, he's already in the big time. Famous(in the way is relevant).

+Quote Post
Nath
post Dec 30 2003, 01:35 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

As Star Wars D6 used to say for Rebel Alliance spec ops... The status of Prime Runners depends on the players. Those should be able to fullfill runs with starting characters that beginning players wouldn't with Fastjack, Ryan Mercury and similar sheets in front of them. Big attributes and big skills will never give idea on how to accomplish complex feats.

+Quote Post
Hot Wheels
post Dec 30 2003, 05:26 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,470

In other words "role play, not roll play"

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Dec 30 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I always have felt that the most prime of the prime runners are the ones who are the least famous. Sure, given the nature of Shadowland and the matrix, the slickest deckers will leave their marks (just like brick and mortar hackers leave their marks--if you're good enough to find the mark, you're good enough to know about their existence), but the "well known" runners are either a) dead, b) heading into the freezer for a long long time, or c) figments of the media imagination (yes, a runner in my group has every piece of Sapphire kit there is....).

My idea of a prime runner group is one who can filch your burger right off your plate at a crowded and snappy restaurant, and then hack your headware so you think you ordered a steak instead. Now those are prime skills....

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Dec 30 2003, 09:10 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Aces. Thanks, guys.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.