Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prime runners?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Grifter
Just curious, at what point would a PC be considered a Prime Runner? Perhaps a certain Karma pool rating? I'm well aware it should be the GM's final call, but I woul think that by reaching Prime Runner status, a PC should perhaps gain a bonus to his/her Negotiation tests when dealing with Johnsons, fixers, etc. Due to street cred and reliability. After all, these runners have proved themselves, so they should be getting better jobs, and payments for doing those jobs. In certain situations, anyway. So, any opinions on this?
Siege
Entirely relative standard.

Runners could spend their entire careers doing penny-ante jobs without making the limelight.

-Siege
The Grifter
Entirely true. But on that note, if they're spending their entire careers doing penny-ante jobs, then they shouldn't reach the limelight. You gotta make the big scores to come out on top, as far as being famous goes. For example, if Joe Blow has been decking his entire life, knows the Matrix inside and out, and you know he has, would you choose him to accompany you on a run, or say, FastJack?
Siege
Depends on my budget and circumstances of the job -- I don't know if I want to play with someone famous in a secretive, shadowy job market.

There's a chance of getting zapped in the crossfire for issues you had nothing to do with.

-Siege
Fortune
Why should they automatically get any kind of bonus to any abilities or skills? If they are indeed a 'Prime Runner', then they have developed the required skills to a level where they already get good jobs and better pay.
Hot Wheels
"Prime Runners" is relative. Look at the music scene today. Someone can talk about a big star and someone else might not have a clue who they are.
I don't like rap and have only heard one song by Emenm, and nothing by "50 cent"but soem people swear they are the "prime runners" of them usic biz, for me i couldn't care less.
Nargrakhan
QUOTE (Hot Wheels)
"Prime Runners" is relative. Look at the music scene today. Soemone can talk about a big star and someone else might not have a clue who they are.
I don't like rap and have only heard one song by Emenm, and nothing by "50 cent"but soem people swear they are the "prime runners" of them usic biz, for me i couldn't care less.

So true! I think you hit it on the nose. smile.gif

There are world class movie/music stars in Japan or India that Westerns have never heard of - but these are people are GOOD. Only those "in the know" really are aware of their works.

I suppose there could be an "Inner Circle" that could rant of "Prime Runners" all around the globe - but even things like the Shadowlands doesn't seem to be a true representation of the best in the world; just from certain places of the world. Just like Hollywood has some of the best entertainers in the world, but not all the best in the world.

For example, how many here can right off the bat, name the world’s greatest Akido master? Then how many here can right off the bat name the world’s greatest Boxing champion(s)? Both of them are world level fighters – and both of them are popular; only one is more commonly known around the world, while the other is known within specific circles or locations.

Errr… am I making any sense… ^_^;;;
grimshear
I gotta go with Fortune on this one. Someone of "Prime Runner" status shouldn't need any bonuses, as they should probably have the skills to make things happen.

Grim Shear
"Push this button for me, will you?"
toturi
Given the way SR deals with encounters (no reference to a certain other RPG), a higher karma charactor will have to keep going up against more/stronger opponents in order to improve. In order for more/stronger opponents to happen, he'll need to go look for trouble or trouble to look for him.

If he goes looking for trouble, he'll need to look for enough trouble to pose a challenge to him in order to get karma.

If trouble goes looking for him, well, he's already in the big time. Famous(in the way is relevant).
Nath
As Star Wars D6 used to say for Rebel Alliance spec ops... The status of Prime Runners depends on the players. Those should be able to fullfill runs with starting characters that beginning players wouldn't with Fastjack, Ryan Mercury and similar sheets in front of them. Big attributes and big skills will never give idea on how to accomplish complex feats.
Hot Wheels
In other words "role play, not roll play"
RangerJoe
I always have felt that the most prime of the prime runners are the ones who are the least famous. Sure, given the nature of Shadowland and the matrix, the slickest deckers will leave their marks (just like brick and mortar hackers leave their marks--if you're good enough to find the mark, you're good enough to know about their existence), but the "well known" runners are either a) dead, b) heading into the freezer for a long long time, or c) figments of the media imagination (yes, a runner in my group has every piece of Sapphire kit there is....).

My idea of a prime runner group is one who can filch your burger right off your plate at a crowded and snappy restaurant, and then hack your headware so you think you ordered a steak instead. Now those are prime skills....
The Grifter
Aces. Thanks, guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012