Reply to this topicStart new topic
> That's a nice neck you've got there, It'd be a pity if it were to...break
Tziluthi
post Jan 1 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,112

I was thinking about introducing a combat maneuver that allows a character to break someone's neck. Maybe an attack test, at +3 TN, and it can only be used if the opponent is either subdued or taken by surprise.

Comments or suggestions, anyone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jan 1 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

...Solid Snake, anyone? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 1 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Standard called shot. If you do D damage, you broke the neck. If just S, you caused some damage but didn't damage the spinal cord enough.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 1 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 1 2004, 07:25 PM)
Standard called shot. If you do D damage, you broke the neck. If just S, you caused some damage but didn't damage the spinal cord enough.

That's probably what I'd do. :)

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 1 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Is that damage physical or stun?

For that matter, does Shadowrun have any rules relating to breaking or dislocating joints (more 'how to', rather than 'the effects of')?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 1 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

If you want to keep up with the very abstract rules, you could just call any unarmed Called Shot against a surprised opponent that deals Deadly with a lot of successes left over a snapped neck. Allow combining Called Shot with Full Offense in special situations? That might work too.

But I'm guessing you won't want to do that, since you started a new thread and all... So I really have nothing. Sorry. :(

Damn I'm slow...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 1 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Shadowrun has no actual rules for limb-breaking, 'cause that goes against the abstract combat system.
As for physical/stun, maybe that is grounds for a new maneuver. So it's a maneuver that can only be used in the conditions previously stated, requires a called shot, and does Physical damage without any penalty. If you want you can say that it only does Physical if the final damage is S or higher.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 1 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Allow combining Called Shot with Full Offense in special situations?

Why only in special situations? IIRC, Maneuvers can all be used in conjunction with Combat Options unless it specifically states that they can't.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 1 2004, 08:47 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Cannon Companion @ p. 91)
Unless otherwise noted, maneuvers may not be used with combat options (in the same Combat Phase).

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 1 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I was thinking more along the lines that it doesn't deal damage in the conventional sense, more it just drops the victim to a deadly condition, and that it's an all or nothing effect. I mean, you either have a broken neck or you don't, I'm not aware of a condition that exists inbetween.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 1 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

I think the abtract system relies on the idea that, if you notice during the first second that you aren't going to get that darn neck snapped, you'll instead try to strangle the target or try to get a hold or just plain whack him around some.

Feel free to play around with those basic ideas, though. Just keep in mind that it might have significant effects on many other melee-related things if you do.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 1 2004, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Cannon Companion @ p. 91)
Unless otherwise noted, maneuvers may not be used with combat options (in the same Combat Phase).

Fair enough. I must have missed the 'not' last time I read it. :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 1 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

That happens... I had to check it from the book 7 times as I replied. I'm so tired the lower right corner of my screen seems like it's sinking, and the middle left is sort of bulging, and I keep hearing things speaking to me.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 1 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Tell me about it. I've been up for almost 75 hours straight. That's probably why I'm having trouble expressing my thoughts coherently in other threads. :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 1 2004, 09:01 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Thank [insert power of choice here] for Coca-Cola. Now if only I could get myself one of those ergonomic chairs that double as a toilet seat... And now it's time for a shower, hope I don't fall asleep in there (that's ouchy sometimes).

Sorry for going offtopic in your thread, Tziluthi.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 1 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Tziluthi)
I was thinking more along the lines that it doesn't deal damage in the conventional sense, more it just drops the victim to a deadly condition, and that it's an all or nothing effect. I mean, you either have a broken neck or you don't, I'm not aware of a condition that exists inbetween.

There are several. Cracked neck vertebrae, a broken neck that doesn't damage the spinal cord enough to cause paralysis, that sort of thing.

~J

+Quote Post
Veracusse
post Jan 1 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,960

An easy solution would be to let the player deal damage as stess to attributes instead. If the player subdues the enemy with a subduing combat option, then they will only have a TN of 2 to inflict stress damage. For each sucsess that equals one stress point to an attribute, and if they get 10 or more then the npc is dead or is soon to be dead. If they get less then 10 sucsesses or stress points make a quick stress test for the npc and if he fails he is also out.

Just a suggestion,

Veracusse

+Quote Post
Snake Oil
post Jan 1 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 5,947

A Called Shot that ends up as a Deadly wound (not necessarily staged up to it) works for me, as long as that was the action the character was going for when he attempted it. The inherent +4 target number modifier and +1 Damage Level simulate the desired effect and difficulties in performing it beautifully. Failure to score a Deadly wound simply means you failed to do it correctly and just left the character in a lot of pain. Afterall, it's a lot harder to snap someone's neck than the movies make it out to be.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 2 2004, 02:11 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

A Called Shot that ends up as a Deadly wound (not necessarily staged up to it) works for me, as long as that was the action the character was going for when he attempted it. The inherent +4 target number modifier and +1 Damage Level simulate the desired effect and difficulties in performing it beautifully. Failure to score a Deadly wound simply means you failed to do it correctly and just left the character in a lot of pain. Afterall, it's a lot harder to snap someone's neck than the movies make it out to be.

Yeah, alright, that's probably a good idea. So how do you get a serious wound up to a deadly wound without staging?

+Quote Post
Snake Oil
post Jan 2 2004, 02:13 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 5,947

By doing a Serious wound. What I meant is that the character wouldn't necessarily have to stage it up to Deadly Physical from Moderate Stun. He just has to give the opponent a Deadly wound with the Called Shot.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 2 2004, 02:28 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Fair enough. I guess the only problem is that nobody on these boards can (or has) actually break (or broken) someone's neck with their bare hands, so we can't get an accurate picture of how difficult it really is.

Edit: Change of mind

This post has been edited by Tziluthi: Jan 2 2004, 02:34 AM

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 2 2004, 02:31 AM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Surprise would probably be more like TN 6.

~J

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 2 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

That seems fair enough. Although, in this system, there isn't as large a difference between TN 6 and TN 8 as one would initially suppose.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 2 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

1/6 and 5/36. That's a full thirty-sixth.

~J

+Quote Post
Shev
post Jan 2 2004, 03:39 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

Adepts have a power called Nerve Strike, which lets them make an unarmed attack (With a TN modifier, I think. I lent my MITS to a friends, so I don't have it in front of me) against a single opponent. For every two sucesses, the Q of the victim is reduced by one. If Q is reduced to 0, the victim is paralyzed. (Q points are recovered over a short span of time, so this is only temporary).

Perhaps a modified version of this would work?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.