Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Underbarrel melee weapons, What would you allow
Dumori
post Dec 16 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Dumorimasoddaa

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,830

A player want to attach an underbarrel melee weapon to this assault shotgun. He's thinking a monfilement chainsaw or a vibrosword. would you alow it or not hes taking melee hardening and custom look 2 as well. Hes leaning towards a vibrosword as he wont need a new skill but its close. So what are your thoughts on this as I'm not sure if it could be done or not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vollmond
post Dec 16 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,377

Is it functionally really any different from a bigger bayonet?

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Dec 16 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Dumorimasoddaa

The chainsaw would be as it dose 10P -2 to barriers. But no it like adding a longer/bigger/better bayonet to the gun. Also it would be built in the the weapon not attached when needed.

+Quote Post
Froggie
post Dec 16 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,668

Sounds like that gun from Gears of War...

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Dec 16 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

Either way, it sounds like the gun's becoming an exotic weapon, which means a new skill to use it. If your character wants it that badly, then give it to him. It's not going to be game-breaking.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Dec 16 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Dumorimasoddaa

I wouldnt say an exotic weapon more like two weapon straped to each other. An AR with a shotgun under isnt exotic but you uses longarm for one part and automatics for the other. As for gamebraking it wont happen and upgrade will suite him a lot atm he normaly drops slash put out og the way his shotgun and gets choping if things get too close but with the two in one I can see thing geting fun plus it will spice things up a bit.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 16 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

If he adds the chainsaw, I would still keep its inherent penalty to attack.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Dec 16 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Dumorimasoddaa

Was going to.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 16 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

hmm . . if i can get a shotgun as an underbarrel mod . . can i get another shotgun as an underbarrel mod for the first shotgun?

+Quote Post
vollmond
post Dec 16 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,377

And attach bayonets to all three!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 16 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

probablee ^^
think i broke something there O.o

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Dec 16 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,883

QUOTE (Dumori @ Dec 16 2008, 04:26 PM) *
The chainsaw would be as it dose 10P -2 to barriers. But no it like adding a longer/bigger/better bayonet to the gun. Also it would be built in the the weapon not attached when needed.

If it's going to be permanently attached a vibrosword or a chainsaw is going to be a god awful thing to wield. I mean really, go to your local S-mart, look at a shotgun and imagine a 3' blade extending from that. Let's not even mention the tactical problem of maneuvering that thing through hallways. If your player if using it to get past barriers ie chainsaw, shock lock rounds for his combat shotgun would seem a hell of a lot more effective.
Arsenal page 35
Shock Lock Rounds: These slugs are made of a ceramic and metal composite designed to fragment and disintegrate upon impact. Shock lock rounds are designed to shatter a door’s lock or hinge and halve the Barrier ratings of doors or similar barriers when used to destroy them (see Destroying Barriers, p. 157, SR4). Against other targets, treat shock lock rounds as standard explosive rounds.

Not to mention cost effective. at 70 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) per 10 rounds.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 16 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 16 2008, 06:03 PM) *
hmm . . if i can get a shotgun as an underbarrel mod . . can i get another shotgun as an underbarrel mod for the first shotgun?

Why not? I would think that the under slung shotgun mod is universal. If an assault rifle can get it then an assault shotgun can get one. I can most certainly see the benefits of that as you can load up the main weapon with slug ammo and the under slung one with flechette ammo.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 17 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

no no no!
Assault Rifle with Underbarrel Shotgun, and the Underbarrel Shotgun with ANOTHER Underbarrel Shotgun and so on ad infinitum ^^

+Quote Post
MaxMahem
post Dec 17 2008, 01:13 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,097

Go by the rule of cool.

Is a underbarrell mounted power-weapon on an assault weapon cool to you? If yes, then you should absolutely allow it. Your only concern might be for game balance. Though I don't imagine it could really be that game-breaking. I would have it use a custom skill, but other then that, sure go nuts with it.

In terms of stats I would tend towards something like STR/2+2 or so. Its doubtful that he wants a full fledged chainsaw on the end of his gun, which we be kind of cumbersome (unless he is a troll). But more of a mini-chainsaw thing ala the lancer from Gears of War.

You know next time I get to play a PC I may just pattition for a underbarrel chainsaw of some sort. The idea isn't entirely crazy, provided you are of above average strength to wield such a cumbersome device. The ability to use your primary weapon as an all purpose barrier destruction/melee weapon of doom device. Just mostly crazy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) . Which means for some campaigns it would be a perfect fit!

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Dec 17 2008, 01:14 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,523

Whats the point of having a chainsaw/2handed sword as an underbarrel weapon other than looks,.. it certainly cant be for the function since carrying the wrapon in a sling over your shoudler or on your back is much much better..

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Dec 17 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

I would say yes, but with penalties.

A gun with a roaring chainsaw strapped to it? Thats gonna be hard to aim (Granted its a shotgun but still) and even harder to hold (Its gonna be frickin' heavy).

Also its a rather awkward weapon thats only really good for attacking front-on and you cant really swing it around due to the weight.

If he REALLY wants to I'd say let him go for it but apply a penalty for the aforementioned reasons.

As for sword, I would let him but point out that a sword there but point out that it'd be pretty in-effective as in the end its basically a fancy spear and all the benefits of having a sword, even a vibrosword, on the end of a shotgun eliminates almost all of those advantages. Again, I'd let 'em but apply penalties because of the awkward nature of the weapon.

A vibroblade KNIFE might work and I'd definitely allow that as a GM

+Quote Post
NetWraith
post Dec 17 2008, 06:27 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 16,568

QUOTE (Socinus @ Dec 16 2008, 08:18 PM) *
As for sword, I would let him but point out that a sword there but point out that it'd be pretty in-effective as in the end its basically a fancy spear and all the benefits of having a sword, even a vibrosword, on the end of a shotgun eliminates almost all of those advantages. Again, I'd let 'em but apply penalties because of the awkward nature of the weapon.

STAB!!! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! (rinse and repeat as needed)

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 17 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Well, chainsaws are horrible as weapons in the first place, you would have to be quite good before you are more dangerous to your opponent then yourself, I would also say that the movement of either weapon would cause problems with aiming your gun, not to mention the constant vibration would make maintenance a pain in the rear.

Then again I would start finding creative penalties for any under barrel weapon bigger then a knife. Personally I use an underbarrel shock baton, electric damage is nasty and it's small and light enough not to encumber the weapon.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Dec 17 2008, 06:36 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (NetWraith @ Dec 17 2008, 07:27 AM) *
STAB!!! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! (rinse and repeat as needed)

Yeah that SOUNDS nice in theory but in practice slapping a sword on the bottom of a shotgun is NOT a good idea. I would apply penalties and make a roll every now and then to see if t would break

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 17 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (Socinus @ Dec 17 2008, 01:36 AM) *
Yeah that SOUNDS nice in theory but in practice slapping a sword on the bottom of a shotgun is NOT a good idea. I would apply penalties and make a roll every now and then to see if t would break

besides, it would really suck when some of your buckshot hit the sword blade.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Dec 17 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Go for it, it sounds awsome. Take the chainsaw. If he's going the other direction, I would normally aim for a vibro knife, but since it's under a assualt cannon... (probably either a pentalty to hit or an exotic melee prof though. It's not a sword anymore it's a very strangely shaped polearm).

And shotguns under shotguns are ftw.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Dec 17 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Dec 17 2008, 07:45 AM) *
besides, it would really suck when some of your buckshot hit the sword blade.

Shotgun pellets do not instantly begin to spread out once they leave the barrel. Shot hitting the blade wouldn't be a problem

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Dec 17 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

Can I have a weed whacker as an underbarrel attachment to a shotgun?

Seriously, I would rule that you can tape anything on the barrel. You may even have a pastrami and rye sandwich underbarrel mount with judicious use of duct tape.

The argument I would have is does it look silly? Does everyone laugh at you? Do you loose fingers working the slide? Do people want to kill you just to get their hands on your noveau art boomstick?

If you answer yes to these questions you should change over from shadowrunner to fashion designer.

-Chrysalis

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Dec 17 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 16 2008, 07:08 PM) *
no no no!
Assault Rifle with Underbarrel Shotgun, and the Underbarrel Shotgun with ANOTHER Underbarrel Shotgun and so on ad infinitum ^^

Shotgun under Shotgun defies the Rule-of-Cool because you can't Pump the first Shotgun
two Shotguns side-by-side under the AR would be OK (from the Rule-of-Cool Side) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

with Dance-of-Cool
Medicineman

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.