Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic vs. Essense, in character creation
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 23 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,332

Page 62 says that for each point of essence below 6, you lose a point of magic. Does this apply at chargen? Or can I buy my cyberware, and then buy magic up to the new maximum?

Seems like a dumb question, but I can't find an answer, and there are a lot of build points riding on this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Dec 23 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Dec 23 2008, 06:13 AM) *
Page 62 says that for each point of essence below 6, you lose a point of magic. Does this apply at chargen? Or can I buy my cyberware, and then buy magic up to the new maximum?

Seems like a dumb question, but I can't find an answer, and there are a lot of build points riding on this.

It applies right away. Essence limits the starting maximum of both Magic and Resonance, as they are tied to how "pure" your aura/body is.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 23 2008, 06:25 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

I know it limits your magic, but my question is whether the reduced essence then reduces the magic rating that you already spent build points on.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Dec 23 2008, 06:28 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

In answer to the first question you asked ("Does this apply at chargen?")

Short Answer: Yup.

Long Answer: Yup, balance reasons.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 23 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Not that I'm saying it's not canon, but I am still waiting for someone to actually quote canon text that states that the 'phantom' Magic Points (potential points that are lost due to implants, etc.) must be paid for with Build Points.

As a counterpoint, I offer up Latent Awakening, which provides a Magic Point regardless of the person's Essence rating. Those 'phantom' points that would be lost due to any implants are not paid for with either Karma or Build Points.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Dec 23 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

You requested, and we provided. Multiple times. Yet again, here are the damn quotes.

QUOTE (Shadowrun 4 p.84)
Note that any attribute boosts gained from implants do not
aff ect other aspects of character creation—a boost to Logic, for example,
does not increase the Knowledge skills you start with.
Any reductions to a character’s Essence will also aff ect his
Magic or Resonance (see p. 62)

QUOTE (Shadowrun 4 p.62)
Characters with Magic or Resonance attributes are subject
to penalties if they have an Essence lower than 6. For each point
or partial point of Essence below 6, the character loses 1 full
point from her Magic or Resonance
and the maximum for that
attribute is reduced by 1. Th e maximum rating for Magic is 6 +
initiation grade (see Initiation, p. 189); for Resonance the maximum
rating is 6 + submersion grade (see Submersion, p. 238).

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 23 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Page 84 states "Any reductions to a character's Essense will also affect his Magic or Resonance."

Page 62 states "Characters with Magic or Resonance attributes are subject to penalties if they have an Essence lower than 6."

Nowhere that I have seen in the book does it ever talk about only limiting the maximum Magic - it always talks about Magic loss, too.

I've quoted those before. They seem absolutely, completely, and unambiguously clear to me, but Fortune isn't convinced by them. I imagine most GMs are, though.

The only thing muddying up the waters is the Latent Awakening quality, but that is introduced in Street Magic, and follows its own rules (since Latent Awakening wouldn't be possible under normal char-gen rules).

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 23 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Glyph, Muspellsheimr, the two quotes that you refer to also don't say anything about the reduction applying at character gen. What I think Fortune is asking is for clarification from Synner or another CGL employee to come out and say: "Yes you have to buy Magic up and THEN reduce it by the appropriate amount due to 'Ware."

I also think it's a little unfair to Mages because they have to pay for the 'Ware twice over. Once in BP to get the 'ware and then again to buy magic up to what they want and then one more level because of the 'ware.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Dec 23 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 23 2008, 01:39 AM) *
Glyph, Muspellsheimr, the two quotes that you refer to also don't say anything about the reduction applying at character gen. What I think Fortune is asking is for clarification from Synner or another CGL employee to come out and say: "Yes you have to buy Magic up and THEN reduce it by the appropriate amount due to 'Ware."

I also think it's a little unfair to Mages because they have to pay for the 'Ware twice over. Once in BP to get the 'ware and then again to buy magic up to what they want and then one more level because of the 'ware.

Honestly, I'm okay with that. The sorts of things you can pull off when you mix 'ware and magic are pretty obscene as it is.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 23 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 23 2008, 09:39 AM) *

I agree with this post 100%. I am asking myself the same question as Fortune.

While the rules are clear on Magic Loss, they are NOT clear on the process at character creation the order of precidence in which purchasing magic and cyberware should be applied (which would clarify this question).

Personally as of SR4 it seems to me mages get the short end of the stick as it is and it wouldn't hurt to cut them some slack.

- J.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Dec 23 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I disagree, 'ware + magic = sick power combinations. The added cost of burnt magic is an important balancing factor.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 23 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (ornot @ Dec 23 2008, 12:36 PM) *
I disagree, 'ware + magic = sick power combinations. The added cost of burnt magic is an important balancing factor.

My understanding here is that no-one is disputing the lost Magic point or the reduced maximum for that attribute.

What we're discussing is the order of precidence in which you need to invest points into the Magic attribute during character creation.

Everyone is well aware of the consequences of cyberware implantation on a magician once the game has begun.

- J.

+Quote Post
Ustio
post Dec 23 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 13,827

Let me see if I got this right – there are two schools of thought:

1) Buy your magic up, implant cyber-ware reduce you current magic and max magic by 1 for every point (or part thereof) of essence lost.
e.g: Magician (15bp), 4 points of magic (40bp), 0.95 essence of cyber/bio (#bp) – Final magic rating 4 (costing 55bp + cyber)

2) Buy magician, implant cyber-ware, reducing maximum magic, then buy magic up
e.g: Magician (15bp), 0.95 essence of cyber/bio (#bp), 3 points of magic (30bp) – Final magic rating 4 (costing 45bp + cyber)

Have I got this right?

However since the rules state that since any time you lose essence you also lose magic current and maximum, surely if you hadn’t bought up your magic from 1 as soon as you implant even a delta grade datajack bam instant burnout .

What I’d allow is someone to buy the latent awakening merit and then pay full price for which magical type they wanted to be – as I don’t see why latent awakenings can only happen in game time – this has the added benefit of consistency

As for the argument that since the rules don’t say that you lose current magic during character creation – the converse is also true they don’t say that you don’t lose current rating, the flow of the book including character creation examples shows purchasing stats (including magic and edge) as the second thing and gear as the last.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 23 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Ustio @ Dec 23 2008, 12:55 PM) *
Let me see if I got this right – there are two schools of thought:

1) Buy your magic up, implant cyber-ware reduce you current magic and max magic by 1 for every point (or part thereof) of essence lost.
e.g: Magician (15bp), 4 points of magic (40bp), 0.95 essence of cyber/bio (#bp) – Final magic rating 4 (costing 55bp + cyber)

2) Buy magician, implant cyber-ware, reducing maximum magic, then buy magic up
e.g: Magician (15bp), 0.95 essence of cyber/bio (#bp), 3 points of magic (30bp) – Final magic rating 4 (costing 45bp + cyber)

Have I got this right?

Spot on.

However since the rules state that since any time you lose essence you also lose magic current and maximum, surely if you hadn’t bought up your magic from 1 as soon as you implant even a delta grade datajack bam instant burnout .

Hence the question.

What I’d allow is someone to buy the latent awakening merit and then pay full price for which magical type they wanted to be – as I don’t see why latent awakenings can only happen in game time – this has the added benefit of consistency

As for the argument that since the rules don’t say that you lose current magic during character creation – the converse is also true they don’t say that you don’t lose current rating, the flow of the book including character creation examples shows purchasing stats (including magic and edge) as the second thing and gear as the last.

Yep, that's about the only thing we have to go by as well.

Would be nice to see an official answer on this.

- J.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Dec 23 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

A while back I asked this of Peter or Adam and this is the answer they gave me.
Hi Chris,

> Dear Adam or Peter,

>

> I have an issue that has cropped up in my group. I have a missions

> commando playing who insists that at character creation you have 6

> VIRTUAL magic points for an Awakened character. Even if he spends the

> BPs to obtain a 5 as his magic score. By virtue of the 6 virtual

> points he can input a single point of cyber/bio/nano ware and still

> retain a 5 in magic. This only lowers his Virtual Magic cap to 5.

There is no such thing as a "virtual Magic" rating in SR4. You buy a Magic-granting Quality and then buy up your effective Magic rating with BPs during CharGen (or Karma later). Every piece of ware implanted subtracts directly from that (one and only) Magic rating (ie. your Essence Loss is subtracted from the Magic you actually possess regardless of when it is bought.

> As I read in the RAW not only does this lower you magic cap to 5 but
> it also costs you a point in magic lowering your Magic Rating to 4.

> ie Magic 5 (4).

> I explained to him the steps in creating a character are listed in

> order of precedence in creating a shadowrunner section of the Core

> Rules.

> Step 1 Choose MetaType

> Step 2 Assign Attributes (including special attributes edge/magic/

> resonace)

> Step 3 Assign Skills

> Step 4 Resources

> Finishing Touches Calculate Magic/Resonance losses due to cyber and so

> forth.

> My player states that he can awaken at any time during character
> creation and thus could already have inplanted cyber then decide to

> have the character awaken and buy his Magic rating at such time.

> This is due to the fact that the player states there are no official

> steps in creation. You can do the steps in any order.

Your player is correct that there is no defined sequence to the different options in Character Generation. However, there are aspects of character creation which need to be sequential. For instance the metatype (or race/metavariant/etc) ALWAYS needs to be chosen before gear because it impacts the cost of gear (ie. because of adaptation for trolls and dwarves), similarly metatype sets the Attribute minimums and maximums and hence must be chosen before allocation of attribute points (since it will impact the BP cost of hard capped attributes which vary from metatype to metatype). Similarly Essence calculations apply AFTER BPs have been spent on buying one of the Magical Qualities and after raising the Magic Attribute. To reiterate: Essence Loss is subtracted from the Magic rating you actually possess (there is no "Virtual" Magic Rating) reducing both your current Magic and your Magic cap. This means it is done AFTER everything else has been sorted out (after raising the Magic Attribute and buying Essence-sucking ware during Resource allocation).

> Now I know in all past editions of SR the mage takes a hit on Magic

> due to essence at CharGen. He states the rules do not state this

> during Character Generation only. This is a new edition and Mages

> should not be penalized this way if it does not state so. I cannot

> find an official wording in the Core Book, Street Magic or Runners

> Companion.

You can inform the player that under SR4, a Magician always takes a direct hit to his (now variable) Magic Rating when implanting 'ware whether it's implanted at character generation or in play. This is integral to the game.

> Can you help me please. I do understand you are both very busy with

> GenCon and understand if you cannot get back to me soon, but I really

> do need an answer to this.

Hope that helps.

Peter Taylor
Shadowrun Line Developer for Catalyst Game Labs

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 23 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

I'm more than willing to go with buy magic points then lose them, but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that this has never occurred to. There is much vagueness in the rules. It would be nice of some of this were addressed.

But nobody's addressed the second part of my question. If I want to get my magic up to 6, before it's knocked back down to a 4, do I have to spend 65 build points on the attribute, or only 50? Do I spend all build points at once? Or do I spend all BPs on each attribute at once? Or neither. I mean, who's to say I didn't take my magic up to 5, then buy some 'ware, then raise my magic again?

That having been said, I'm going to go with the magic you've bought is reduced by the essence you've lost. I think this only makes sense because it encourages mages to by 'ware at chargen, and then raise their magic in gameplay. I'm leaning towards not charging for the max attribute point, because 15 extra BPs for an attribute you don't have seems excessive.

EDIT: Magus's post wasn't up when I wrote this. Thanks Magus! Now can that be added to the errata, or made an official publication somewhere? And that makes it sound more likely that you spend the full BPs to max out the attribute before reducing it through essence loss. Can someone convince me why, from a balance standpoint?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Dec 23 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 23 2008, 01:39 AM) *

Okay, let me try this again, for the fucking last time. I am getting tired of this shit.

QUOTE (Shadowrun 4 - Chapter 5 (Creating a Shadowrunner))
QUOTE (Creating a Shadowrunner - Page 84 (Assigning Resources)

QUOTE (Assigning Resources - Paragraph 8-14 (Cyberware and Bioware))

In addition to the nuyen cost, each item of cyberware or bioware
also has a secondary cost in Essence. Th is Essence Cost is the
amount by which the character’s Essence is reduced when the cyberware
or bioware is installed. Starting characters cannot have an
Essence of 0, but any fraction above zero is fi ne. Some cyberware
can be “packaged” with other cyberware for lower cost, or may allow
a certain number of Essence-free attachments (cybereyes, for
example). See individual cyberware descriptions in Street Gear,
beginning on p. 330.
Essence losses from cyberware and bioware are tracked
separately. Only the higher of the two totals deducts from
Essence in full, with the other deducting at half. For example,
if a character has an Essence loss of 1.5 from cyberware and
2.5 from bioware, then the character’s Essence is 6 – 2.5 (full
bioware) – 0.75 (half cyberware), or 2.75. Players should keep
track of both, as it’s possible one can outpace the other as the
character implants more cyber or bio into his body.
Players should consider the grade of cyberware or bioware
when choosing it. Two grades are available to starting characters:
Basic and Alpha.
Basic cyberware is cheap, but not very Essence-friendly.
Most people don’t care what brand of cyberware they get, as long
as it works—datajacks, cybereyes and other common mods are
low enough in cost and Essence loss that neither matters to the
general public.
Alpha cyberware appeals more to the guys and gals who
count on cyberware to survive. Alphaware costs more, but is easier
on the body (and Essence). If you purchase alpha grade cyberware,
multiply the listed nuyen cost of the item in question by 2. Th e
Essence Cost of alphaware equals the original Essence Cost x 0.8.
See Cyber- and Bioware Grades, p. 303.
Note that any attribute boosts gained from implants do not
aff ect other aspects of character creation—a boost to Logic, for example,
does not increase the Knowledge skills you start with.
Any reductions to a character’s Essence will also aff ect his
Magic or Resonance (see p. 62).

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 23 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 16,697

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Dec 23 2008, 10:38 AM) *
Okay, let me try this again, for the fucking last time. I am getting tired of this shit.

1. The quote you provided does not answer the question.

2. The quote on the page number you highlighted, combined with that section, only partially answers the question and does not say anything about whether or not someone can buy cyber, then the magical quality, and then raise magic.

In short, you're not answering the fucking question.

Magus, however, did answer it.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Dec 23 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Yes, it does answer the damn question. It clearly says that you loose Magic due to implantation during character generation, as normal. It does not matter what order they do the character generation - they loose the Magic/Resonance. The book clearly states you can perform character generation in whatever order you like. It does not say this allows you to bypass the effects of Essence on Magic.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 23 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

I think what Morrigana is saying is that while it says that your Magic is affected, it doesn't say how. Everyone agreed that your maximum is reduced. Not every one agreed that the score you bought is reduced. In other words, how is it affected? However, I think the intention is clear, even if the words don't explicitly say so.

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 23 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Dec 23 2008, 10:50 AM) *
Yes, it does answer the damn question. It clearly says that you loose Magic due to implantation during character generation, as normal. It does not matter what order they do the character generation - they loose the Magic/Resonance. The book clearly states you can perform character generation in whatever order you like. It does not say this allows you to bypass the effects of Essence on Magic.

I believe my reply is best handled with quotes.

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stone)

QUOTE (BBB page 62)
Characters with Magic or Resonance attributes are subject to penalties if they have an Essence lower than 6. For each point or partial point of Essence below 6, the character loses 1 full point from her Magic or Resonance and the maximum for that attribute is reduced by 1. Th e maximum rating for Magic is 6 + initiation grade (see Initiation, p. 189); for Resonance the maximum rating is 6 + submersion grade (see Submersion, p. 238).

QUOTE (KCKitsune)

QUOTE (The Jake)
While the rules are clear on Magic Loss, they are NOT clear on the process at character creation the order of precidence in which purchasing magic and cyberware should be applied (which would clarify this question).

QUOTE (The Jake)
My understanding here is that no-one is disputing the lost Magic point or the reduced maximum for that attribute.

What we're discussing is the order of precidence in which you need to invest points into the Magic attribute during character creation.

Everyone is well aware of the consequences of cyberware implantation on a magician once the game has begun.

Now, where does anything in the sections of the BBB you quoted repeatedly answer the actual question? The answer is: It doesn't. You've been repeatedly posting quotes that are only barely related to the question at hand. Magus actually managed to take the question and answer it.

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 23 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #22

Target

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Dec 23 2008, 11:00 AM) *
I think what Morrigana is saying is that while it says that your Magic is affected, it doesn't say how. Everyone agreed that your maximum is reduced. Not every one agreed that the score you bought is reduced. In other words, how is it affected? However, I think the intention is clear, even if the words don't explicitly say so.

No, what I'm saying is that Muspellsheimr is getting huffy over the fact that he doesn't even seem to understand the question at hand and has decided to get combative about it. I'm just smacking him upside the head until he realizes his error.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Dec 23 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

The point they're making (now moot thanks to the post by Magus) is that if you do the steps out of order, i.e., buy up your ware and essence, *then* buy the magician quality and spend bps on Magic, then in theory you won't reduce your magic at all because your magic was at 0 during the reduction phase. Peter's response to Magus however pretty clearly defines the intent that ware purchases should always come after magic purchases, and thus they'll affect it. So really, this argument is now completely moot.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Dec 23 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

No, I understand exactly what the question was, & I provided rules quotes that answer it. Provide a quote that says the order you create your character has impact on your final abilities - then we can talk about that. There is none - it does not matter if you decide to purchase your 'ware first, or Magic first; during character generation, it clearly states that your Magic is reduced from augmentation. Again, it does not matter if you "had" the Magic attribute when you purchased starting equipment.

The only basis for argument against this is from the Latent Awakening quality - which is rather specific on how it works, because it does not follow the normal rules.

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 23 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #25

Target

Nothing within the rules you posted addressed whether or not the Magic rating would have to be bought up to a pre-ware level and then reduced or automatically assumed reduced and then bought up to a post-ware level. What they did talk about was reducing a magic or resonance rating you already have. Which, considering the question brought up the possibility of adding the magic rating to someone after the ware is bought and there is already rules in place for dealing with that possibility post-chargen, the question became whether or not that changeup in order and the resulting changes in BP spent also could apply to chargen.

Nothing you posted addressed that. Nothing in the entire rulebook addresses that. It took Magus having to outright ask the devs themselves to get an answer to that.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.