IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Writers Wanted, Want to write for Shadowrun Missions?
Aaron
post Jan 4 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

We've got a number of Missions adventures that need to be written. We've already got the titles and the preview blurbs, all you have to do is create the rest!

If you are interested, choose one or more of the adventures below and write us a proposal. All you need to do for the proposal is write the Adventure Background and the Plot Synopsis (basically, the circumstances surrounding the run and the way the run will unfold) and send it to us by PMing me or by emailing to missions@shadowrun4.com by 31 January. Please do not post them in a forum.

Your proposal should reflect the title and the blurb. The adventures and blurbs are as follows:

[ Spoiler ]

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Jan 4 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,129

I have 3 questions for ya:
1- Is there a due date?
2- Does is have a minimum / maximum lenght?
3- Does is have a pre-established starting location?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 4 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jan 4 2009, 02:28 PM) *
I have 3 questions for ya:
1- Is there a due date?
2- Does is have a minimum / maximum lenght?
3- Does is have a pre-established starting location?

1. Yes, 31 January.
  2. For a proposal? Not really. Your ability to write long enough to cover the subject but short enough to remain interesting is one of the things we're looking for.
  3. Just Manhattan and the boroughs, but if you have another idea, go ahead and pitch it to us.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 6 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

I should probably mention that these are paid writing gigs. I don't remember the precise amount, though; I'll post it as soon as I find out.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 6 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Well that cranked up the value of taking time away from writing my dissertation to write one of these. Please tell us!

Peter

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Jan 7 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

An easy expectation of quality could be set if one of the NYC missions (like the free first one?) was available for free download.
I am fine with the fact they are being sold for a few bucks each and are high quality but asking folks for high quality writing leaves the placement of the Bar a bit nebulous...

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 7 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

The NY Missions aren't much different from the Denver ones in terms of plot within a mission.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Jan 7 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 7 2009, 09:31 AM) *
The NY Missions aren't much different from the Denver ones in terms of plot within a mission.

That seems to contradict the reason we're going to be paying for NYC missions. i.e. better quality and content.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 7 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #9

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jan 7 2009, 11:58 AM) *
That seems to contradict the reason we're going to be paying for NYC missions. i.e. better quality and content.

The location and plot for a Shadowrun are not directly related to how well written and interesting the content is. Moving the missions to New York don't suddenly make a shadowrun not a shadowrun, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the writing and content. If you are concerned about paying for the effort someone puts into writing a good Mission, then there are the entire set of 25 Denver missions available for free. An easy thing to do if you are planning on submitting a NY mission is to make sure you plan on writing ones that are consistently higher quality then the Denver ones. Whether it's Denver or New York, it's still a shadowrun mission.

+Quote Post
Hawkwood
post Jan 7 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,742

It would be nice to have at least the first NY mission posted somewhere that was accessible. This would allow prospective writers to see what standards were being looked for.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 7 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

The first NY mission will, indeed, be posted somewhere. Or more accurately the zeroth. It's in layout right now, I believe.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Jan 7 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 7 2009, 11:20 AM) *
The location and plot for a Shadowrun are not directly related to how well written and interesting the content is. Moving the missions to New York don't suddenly make a shadowrun not a shadowrun, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the writing and content. If you are concerned about paying for the effort someone puts into writing a good Mission, then there are the entire set of 25 Denver missions available for free. An easy thing to do if you are planning on submitting a NY mission is to make sure you plan on writing ones that are consistently higher quality then the Denver ones. Whether it's Denver or New York, it's still a shadowrun mission.

This from the October chat about Shadowrun as found here
http://www.shadowrun4.com/resources/downlo...08Shadowrun.pdf
Game2BHappy: How is the production of NY Missions coming along? "Improvements" to future missions were hinted at earlier - anything specific we
can look forward to?

Peter Taylor: Slower than we would like but it's coming along - speedbumps and all. The improvements that were mentioned in
previous chats refer to higher production quality and better integration with the wider setting. We'll be making more
announcements when we have something to announce.

Seems like better quality promised to me.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 7 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jan 7 2009, 04:14 PM) *
This from the October chat about Shadowrun as found here
http://www.shadowrun4.com/resources/downlo...08Shadowrun.pdf

Seems like better quality promised to me.

Perhaps I misunderstand the point you are trying to make. From my knowledge of the NY Missions and the Denver Missions the quality improvements for integrating and working into the setting are unrelated to the plot ideas and writing that people will submit. The Missions Program Coordinators have provided a framework within which any "shadowrun" genre plot idea and writing can be integrated into the NY Missions setting. The framework is already there and exists. Publishing it and making it available, which will happen with the "zeroth" mission won't change that framework a bit. The quality of that is set.

What is currently unknown is the quality of writing that will be submitted and approved. That cannot be known until it's been done and submitted. All that is known is that it is expected that the quality of the eventual product will be improved over previous missions. 25 previous Denver missions containing plots and ideas already exist and are free and available for download. That is a huge body of reference for quality comparisons.

Even though there are 5 play tested and extensively run NY Missions, those have not yet been published, nor yet really gone through final editing and layout to the extent that they can be used as the measuring stick for other NY Missions submissions.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Jan 7 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Hmmm ok...

Is this normal? I stumbled into Missions about halfway or more into the series... and couldn't get a group together until they were almost done.

With that being the case... Are the NYC missions similar in lag time (i.e. were the Denver ones run at Origins and Gen Con and still not available for download close to 5 months after Gen Con) to those of Denver?

I realize that Catalyst is small... and that they're working on it... and while I am disheartened that I will have to pay to continue what was free (excluding conventions I staff or manage where I intend to run missions and can get the PDFs free), I'm more than likely going to buy those I can't get via running them in a convention space anyway.

I'm just anxious to get them... especially so I can try to figure out what I'm going to do with regards to missions for Anime Central...

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 8 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #15

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Crypto--No this is not "normal" per se. The Denver missions once they began release, were released 1 per month, like clockwork. Because Missions are often pre-released for the convention season, it was possible to play a Mission at GenCon or Origins and then not see it released for download until later. The NYC campaign has had several challenges, including a change in leadership (and bringing Aaron and I up to speed), and the production of the NYC e-books which will support the NYC campaign. Those majority of those issues have been seen to and we are working hard to get things released.

As I've said before, feel free to drop me an email (stephen [dot] mcquillan [at] gmail [dot] com) if you have specific questions regarding Missions requests and Conventions.

Everyone:
We (the Missions team) have always accepted applications for writers. The_dunner put out a similar call to this one almost a few years back when we were getting started with Denver, which is how I got started writing Missions. Since then, we've had several other writers join our ranks and are looking for more. Aaron's call for Missions writers in this post was to refresh that same call from before. You won't get rich writing Missions, but you will get practice, the experience of going through the editorial process, and have bragging rights of being a published author for a great gaming line.

+Quote Post
Black Jack Rackh...
post Jan 8 2009, 02:28 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,202

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jan 7 2009, 07:30 PM) *
You won't get rich writing Missions, but you will get practice, the experience of going through the editorial process, and have bragging rights of being a published author for a great gaming line.

Not to mention gaining the notice of TPTB in case you have some notions of writing in the main books. It's how I got my start.

Mark

+Quote Post
five_corparty
post Jan 9 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 16,753

Where can a newbie find the latest data on New York?

I'm just returning to SR after many moons, so I assume Chicago is still a bug-infested cesspool (in RL and SR! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ha ha ha)(I'm from there, I can make fun of my own govenor) but I'll have to research NY before attempting anything along these lines (I have a copy of on-the-run: is that Approx what is being asked for here? a little more detail would propbably be appreciated by us newbies who's ears may have perked up.)

cheers!

5C

+Quote Post
Black Jack Rackh...
post Jan 9 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (five_corparty @ Jan 9 2009, 09:07 AM) *
Where can a newbie find the latest data on New York?

I'm just returning to SR after many moons, so I assume Chicago is still a bug-infested cesspool (in RL and SR! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ha ha ha)(I'm from there, I can make fun of my own govenor) but I'll have to research NY before attempting anything along these lines (I have a copy of on-the-run: is that Approx what is being asked for here? a little more detail would propbably be appreciated by us newbies who's ears may have perked up.)

cheers!

5C

Chicago not so much anymore. Have a look at Feral Cities for it's latest incarnation (not that it has anything to do with SR Missions). For NYC Missions Take a look at NAGNA that'll give you the basics (albeit dated). As for the format, take a look at the Denver Missions (which can be found http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads/ ).

Hope that helps.

Mark

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 9 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #19

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Black Jack Rackham @ Jan 9 2009, 11:32 AM) *
For NYC Missions Take a look at NAGNA that'll give you the basics (albeit dated). As for the format, take a look at the Denver Missions (which can be found http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads/ ).

Hope that helps.

Mark

The link doesn't work for me.
Peter

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Jan 9 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Just copy/paste it.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Jan 9 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Black Jack Rackham @ Jan 9 2009, 12:32 PM) *

Fixed it for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 9 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #22

Mr. Johnson

I haven't found out yet how much per adventure Catalyst is offering, but I thought I'd mention that I haven't forgotten about it.

I also wanted to second what BishopMcQ and Black Jack Rakham said. I started by writing an adventure for Shadowrun Missions, and since then I've had an opportunity to write for Unwired, Runner's Companion, Feral Cities, [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED].

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jan 10 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #23

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

I have a few idea fluttering around but I will need to hunt for some good data on NYC. Firestorm has my brain working what type of weapon I've not decided on but to hit the blurb it needs to be slightly OTT.I assume we're free to add minor location such as R&D labs and such to the world. Though with my lack ot knowlage on NYC I'm lacking conferdence about the quality of the run.

+Quote Post
Black Jack Rackh...
post Jan 10 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dumori @ Jan 9 2009, 07:17 PM) *
I have a few idea fluttering around but I will need to hunt for some good data on NYC. Firestorm has my brain working what type of weapon I've not decided on but to hit the blurb it needs to be slightly OTT.I assume we're free to add minor location such as R&D labs and such to the world. Though with my lack ot knowlage on NYC I'm lacking conferdence about the quality of the run.

Write the kind of adventure you'd like to play and we can work the details out later.

Mark

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 10 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

What Black Jack said. Propose a Good Adventure; the details we can work with, the "we" being the Co-coordinators and the rest of the writers, who also toss ideas out there.

I finally have news about remuneration; sorry it took so long. We're offering $50 per adventure.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.