Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Writers Wanted
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron
We've got a number of Missions adventures that need to be written. We've already got the titles and the preview blurbs, all you have to do is create the rest!

If you are interested, choose one or more of the adventures below and write us a proposal. All you need to do for the proposal is write the Adventure Background and the Plot Synopsis (basically, the circumstances surrounding the run and the way the run will unfold) and send it to us by PMing me or by emailing to missions@shadowrun4.com by 31 January. Please do not post them in a forum.

Your proposal should reflect the title and the blurb. The adventures and blurbs are as follows:

[ Spoiler ]

Thanks!
Mister Juan
I have 3 questions for ya:
1- Is there a due date?
2- Does is have a minimum / maximum lenght?
3- Does is have a pre-established starting location?
Aaron
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jan 4 2009, 02:28 PM) *
I have 3 questions for ya:
1- Is there a due date?
2- Does is have a minimum / maximum lenght?
3- Does is have a pre-established starting location?

1. Yes, 31 January.
  2. For a proposal? Not really. Your ability to write long enough to cover the subject but short enough to remain interesting is one of the things we're looking for.
  3. Just Manhattan and the boroughs, but if you have another idea, go ahead and pitch it to us.
Aaron
I should probably mention that these are paid writing gigs. I don't remember the precise amount, though; I'll post it as soon as I find out.
pbangarth
Well that cranked up the value of taking time away from writing my dissertation to write one of these. Please tell us!

Peter
Wasabi
An easy expectation of quality could be set if one of the NYC missions (like the free first one?) was available for free download.
I am fine with the fact they are being sold for a few bucks each and are high quality but asking folks for high quality writing leaves the placement of the Bar a bit nebulous...
DireRadiant
The NY Missions aren't much different from the Denver ones in terms of plot within a mission.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 7 2009, 09:31 AM) *
The NY Missions aren't much different from the Denver ones in terms of plot within a mission.

That seems to contradict the reason we're going to be paying for NYC missions. i.e. better quality and content.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jan 7 2009, 11:58 AM) *
That seems to contradict the reason we're going to be paying for NYC missions. i.e. better quality and content.

The location and plot for a Shadowrun are not directly related to how well written and interesting the content is. Moving the missions to New York don't suddenly make a shadowrun not a shadowrun, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the writing and content. If you are concerned about paying for the effort someone puts into writing a good Mission, then there are the entire set of 25 Denver missions available for free. An easy thing to do if you are planning on submitting a NY mission is to make sure you plan on writing ones that are consistently higher quality then the Denver ones. Whether it's Denver or New York, it's still a shadowrun mission.
Hawkwood
It would be nice to have at least the first NY mission posted somewhere that was accessible. This would allow prospective writers to see what standards were being looked for.
Aaron
The first NY mission will, indeed, be posted somewhere. Or more accurately the zeroth. It's in layout right now, I believe.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 7 2009, 11:20 AM) *
The location and plot for a Shadowrun are not directly related to how well written and interesting the content is. Moving the missions to New York don't suddenly make a shadowrun not a shadowrun, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the writing and content. If you are concerned about paying for the effort someone puts into writing a good Mission, then there are the entire set of 25 Denver missions available for free. An easy thing to do if you are planning on submitting a NY mission is to make sure you plan on writing ones that are consistently higher quality then the Denver ones. Whether it's Denver or New York, it's still a shadowrun mission.

This from the October chat about Shadowrun as found here
http://www.shadowrun4.com/resources/downlo...08Shadowrun.pdf
Game2BHappy: How is the production of NY Missions coming along? "Improvements" to future missions were hinted at earlier - anything specific we
can look forward to?

Peter Taylor: Slower than we would like but it's coming along - speedbumps and all. The improvements that were mentioned in
previous chats refer to higher production quality and better integration with the wider setting. We'll be making more
announcements when we have something to announce.

Seems like better quality promised to me.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jan 7 2009, 04:14 PM) *
This from the October chat about Shadowrun as found here
http://www.shadowrun4.com/resources/downlo...08Shadowrun.pdf

Seems like better quality promised to me.

Perhaps I misunderstand the point you are trying to make. From my knowledge of the NY Missions and the Denver Missions the quality improvements for integrating and working into the setting are unrelated to the plot ideas and writing that people will submit. The Missions Program Coordinators have provided a framework within which any "shadowrun" genre plot idea and writing can be integrated into the NY Missions setting. The framework is already there and exists. Publishing it and making it available, which will happen with the "zeroth" mission won't change that framework a bit. The quality of that is set.

What is currently unknown is the quality of writing that will be submitted and approved. That cannot be known until it's been done and submitted. All that is known is that it is expected that the quality of the eventual product will be improved over previous missions. 25 previous Denver missions containing plots and ideas already exist and are free and available for download. That is a huge body of reference for quality comparisons.

Even though there are 5 play tested and extensively run NY Missions, those have not yet been published, nor yet really gone through final editing and layout to the extent that they can be used as the measuring stick for other NY Missions submissions.
cryptoknight
Hmmm ok...

Is this normal? I stumbled into Missions about halfway or more into the series... and couldn't get a group together until they were almost done.

With that being the case... Are the NYC missions similar in lag time (i.e. were the Denver ones run at Origins and Gen Con and still not available for download close to 5 months after Gen Con) to those of Denver?

I realize that Catalyst is small... and that they're working on it... and while I am disheartened that I will have to pay to continue what was free (excluding conventions I staff or manage where I intend to run missions and can get the PDFs free), I'm more than likely going to buy those I can't get via running them in a convention space anyway.

I'm just anxious to get them... especially so I can try to figure out what I'm going to do with regards to missions for Anime Central...
BishopMcQ
Crypto--No this is not "normal" per se. The Denver missions once they began release, were released 1 per month, like clockwork. Because Missions are often pre-released for the convention season, it was possible to play a Mission at GenCon or Origins and then not see it released for download until later. The NYC campaign has had several challenges, including a change in leadership (and bringing Aaron and I up to speed), and the production of the NYC e-books which will support the NYC campaign. Those majority of those issues have been seen to and we are working hard to get things released.

As I've said before, feel free to drop me an email (stephen [dot] mcquillan [at] gmail [dot] com) if you have specific questions regarding Missions requests and Conventions.

Everyone:
We (the Missions team) have always accepted applications for writers. The_dunner put out a similar call to this one almost a few years back when we were getting started with Denver, which is how I got started writing Missions. Since then, we've had several other writers join our ranks and are looking for more. Aaron's call for Missions writers in this post was to refresh that same call from before. You won't get rich writing Missions, but you will get practice, the experience of going through the editorial process, and have bragging rights of being a published author for a great gaming line.
Black Jack Rackham
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jan 7 2009, 07:30 PM) *
You won't get rich writing Missions, but you will get practice, the experience of going through the editorial process, and have bragging rights of being a published author for a great gaming line.

Not to mention gaining the notice of TPTB in case you have some notions of writing in the main books. It's how I got my start.

Mark
five_corparty
Where can a newbie find the latest data on New York?

I'm just returning to SR after many moons, so I assume Chicago is still a bug-infested cesspool (in RL and SR! wink.gif ha ha ha)(I'm from there, I can make fun of my own govenor) but I'll have to research NY before attempting anything along these lines (I have a copy of on-the-run: is that Approx what is being asked for here? a little more detail would propbably be appreciated by us newbies who's ears may have perked up.)

cheers!

5C
Black Jack Rackham
QUOTE (five_corparty @ Jan 9 2009, 09:07 AM) *
Where can a newbie find the latest data on New York?

I'm just returning to SR after many moons, so I assume Chicago is still a bug-infested cesspool (in RL and SR! wink.gif ha ha ha)(I'm from there, I can make fun of my own govenor) but I'll have to research NY before attempting anything along these lines (I have a copy of on-the-run: is that Approx what is being asked for here? a little more detail would propbably be appreciated by us newbies who's ears may have perked up.)

cheers!

5C

Chicago not so much anymore. Have a look at Feral Cities for it's latest incarnation (not that it has anything to do with SR Missions). For NYC Missions Take a look at NAGNA that'll give you the basics (albeit dated). As for the format, take a look at the Denver Missions (which can be found http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads/ ).

Hope that helps.

Mark
pbangarth
QUOTE (Black Jack Rackham @ Jan 9 2009, 11:32 AM) *
For NYC Missions Take a look at NAGNA that'll give you the basics (albeit dated). As for the format, take a look at the Denver Missions (which can be found http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads/ ).

Hope that helps.

Mark

The link doesn't work for me.
Peter
Malicant
Just copy/paste it.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Black Jack Rackham @ Jan 9 2009, 12:32 PM) *

Fixed it for you. smile.gif
Aaron
I haven't found out yet how much per adventure Catalyst is offering, but I thought I'd mention that I haven't forgotten about it.

I also wanted to second what BishopMcQ and Black Jack Rakham said. I started by writing an adventure for Shadowrun Missions, and since then I've had an opportunity to write for Unwired, Runner's Companion, Feral Cities, [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED].
Dumori
I have a few idea fluttering around but I will need to hunt for some good data on NYC. Firestorm has my brain working what type of weapon I've not decided on but to hit the blurb it needs to be slightly OTT.I assume we're free to add minor location such as R&D labs and such to the world. Though with my lack ot knowlage on NYC I'm lacking conferdence about the quality of the run.
Black Jack Rackham
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jan 9 2009, 07:17 PM) *
I have a few idea fluttering around but I will need to hunt for some good data on NYC. Firestorm has my brain working what type of weapon I've not decided on but to hit the blurb it needs to be slightly OTT.I assume we're free to add minor location such as R&D labs and such to the world. Though with my lack ot knowlage on NYC I'm lacking conferdence about the quality of the run.

Write the kind of adventure you'd like to play and we can work the details out later.

Mark
Aaron
What Black Jack said. Propose a Good Adventure; the details we can work with, the "we" being the Co-coordinators and the rest of the writers, who also toss ideas out there.

I finally have news about remuneration; sorry it took so long. We're offering $50 per adventure.

limejello10512
I have a question....are we allowed to rattle off several ideas in the hope that you might like one or more? Also how much detail are you looking for...a general description introduction to what the plot will be and how we will structure the adventure? Or should we detail the actual story?
Aaron
We're looking for the Adventure Background and Plot Synopsis sections of the adventure. Check out the currently available Missions adventures for examples; the sections you're looking for are usually on or around page 6.
kanislatrans
Oh,my! How did I miss this one? K, digging out handy-dandy notebook and heading for the thinking chair. grinbig.gif
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jan 14 2009, 10:03 AM) *
Oh,my! How did I miss this one? K, digging out handy-dandy notebook and heading for the thinking chair. grinbig.gif

Shadowruns for toddlers...
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 15 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Shadowruns for toddlers...

Whats even scarier is his dogs name is "Blue" and his thinking chair is bright orange!
ornot
I'm not entirely clear.

Are the adventure titles in the OPs spoiler suggestions, or requirements?
Aaron
Those are the blurbs that got shipped out to the conventions for their schedule books. The adventures have to reflect them.
ornot
Right.

Thanks for the quick reply, Aaron.
limejello10512
wait a second anre there some guidelines to making these scenarios or is it anyhitng we want so long as it takes place in NY? Cause I have a number of great ideas but I want to make sure they are acceptable.
DireRadiant
Only one way to find out. And you only have a week left to submit.
Aaron
Pretty much what DireRadiant said, limejello. Even if we don't use your scenarios, we still might want to use you to write anyway.
Digital Heroin
For those of us polishing off our submissions and preparing to e-mail, do you have a preferred format for receiving them in?
BishopMcQ
Word Doc, RTF, or PDF are my preferred formats.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 28 2009, 01:56 AM) *
For those of us polishing off our submissions and preparing to e-mail, do you have a preferred format for receiving them in?

Send it in Morse Code. (Cute signature, by the way.)
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 28 2009, 06:07 PM) *
Send it in Morse Code. (Cute signature, by the way.)

Professional humor, eh.
BishopMcQ
I'd like to thank everyone who has sent in proposals. As a reminder to the few of you waiting until the last minute, your time has come--send them in.

I am going through all of them today making notes for the call with Aaron where we will be hashing everything out.
limejello10512
Man I got mine in just in time....11:30 lol
Malachi
Have any decision(s) been made yet?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Malachi @ Feb 6 2009, 11:00 AM) *
Have any decision(s) been made yet?

The response to this solicitation was quite a bit better than expected. I know Stephen and Aaron met to start going through the proposals last Sunday, but I'd be very surprised to learn that they'd already reached any decisions.
knasser
I've been absent for a bit and missed this. I would be interested in writing an adventure, but I seem to have missed the boat. Will there be further calls? And is there any form of mailing list I could sign up for to be notified if so?

Look forward to seeing what fellow DS'ers have produced.

Khadim.
BishopMcQ
Knasser--There is an open call. You can always submit proposals and they will be taken under advisement. This call was a little different in that we told people what we wanted them to write. The majority of the Missions I wrote for SRM 02 were just me sending in proposals that built on aspects of the story or pushed an agenda.

All--Decisions and notes have gone out to the authors of the specific Missions that we called for. I am still going through all of the other proposals, making notes to respond back to authors. It's important to know that if you weren't chosen for this assignment, you are still free to send in more proposals.

Things to Consider

Location--Right now we are playing in New York, which includes Manhattan as a corporate enclave, but all of the boroughs are still there.
  • Does your Mission draw on all of the possibilities presented?
  • Does the Mission take place in or around NYC? If not, is there a reason why talent was chosen from the NYC pool of runners?

Campaign Style--Playing in a Corporate Enclave, there is a lot of focus on corporations.
  • Does the Mission use corporations that are in Manhattan?
  • Does the tone of the Mission align with the rest of the campaign?

Scope--A large percentage of Missions are run at conventions.
  • Can the Mission be run and completed in four hours?
  • If the Mission cannot be completed in the timeslot, have you broken it into parts and mentioned that in your proposal?

Audience--These are for public play and the Missions can be run for Veteran players or first-timers.
  • Does the Mission allow for approaches from multiple playstyles?
  • Does it include challenges for Magic, Matrix, and Meat (Physical Skill and Combat)?
Bai Shen
When you say sending in proposals, can you give an example? Is it just a short blurb, most of the plot, or what?
BishopMcQ
What we look for in a proposal is simple: a plot synopsis and flow of events. If you are going to use creative license with the rules (introduce a piece of gear that doesn't exist, create a set of rules that is not normally used) then you need to describe that and explain how it fits in the overall arc.

Here is an example of a proposal that I sent in for SRM 02-10 Twist and Insult.
[ Spoiler ]
For comparison purposes, the final Mission can be downloaded here. You'll notice that a lot of details changed in the development and writing phases.
Chrysalis
Is there still a possiblity to submit a proposal or has the proverbial ship already sailed?
BishopMcQ
Chrysalis--The scenarios above have already been filled. If you have a new idea for a Mission, please submit it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012