Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cover for Running Wild
ShadowPavement
post Jan 4 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,431

I was doing some art searches online and came across this. Sweetness!

Running Wild Cover Art
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 4 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

that's actually the first cover of the new books i like O.o

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jan 4 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

That is a very, very cool cover.

Since we're on the topic, I have to say though I am a fan of Michael Komarck's covers, ala Street Magic.

However I was not impressed with the cover of Ghost Cartels and would go so far to say that I could draw a better cover (but my coloring unfortunately sucks).

- J.

+Quote Post
wusselpompf
post Jan 4 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,249

I really hope that this will be the final cover art. it looks awesome...

+Quote Post
Cang
post Jan 4 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,077

It will be the final cover. Adam said he liked the cover so much he has been holding off doing a critter book since the end of 3rd edition because he didn't want the badass cover go to waste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jan 4 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

QUOTE (Cang @ Jan 4 2009, 11:51 PM) *
It will be the final cover. Adam said he liked the cover so much he has been holding off doing a critter book since the end of 3rd edition because he didn't want the badass cover go to waste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Do you have a link?

- J.

+Quote Post
Cang
post Jan 4 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

The most recent time i could think of was in the Modern Death Podcast. Not sure when during it though.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jan 4 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 4 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Do you have a link?

That's not exactly what I said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) What I said was, the cover was contracted years ago, back when Running Wild was going to be a SR3 book, and since then I've been eagerly awaiting Running Wild, or finding some sort of other good project to use that cover on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cang
post Jan 5 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Well i was mostly right. I mean that is what i heard in my brain anyways. At least i didn't say something crazy like you said you were removing critters from the game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jan 5 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

The problem I have with that artwork is that it's pretty static and the runner team has the posing bug that far too many pre-4th cover teams had. Look at the gunslinger with her guns pointing at the sky whilst a pack of cybered hellhounds burn her to a crisp. Look at the mage levitating for no reason. (Why is the mage always levitating? As if the fists full of lightning weren't enough!)

Seriously, was there a set of rules that said that the cover art must never have the central character opening fire or defending themselves because it might be unpopular? I hope they also said that the mage had to be levitating, because otherwise we have to heap the blame entirely on the artists and art selecters. The fields of fire cover is a perfect example of what I dislike about old Shadowrun cover art.

I actually genuinely like most of the covers in SR4. Surprisingly. As for the ones I dislike, at least cover teams are allowed to fire back now.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Jan 5 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jan 5 2009, 01:46 AM) *
Why is the mage always levitating?

Either to avoid being ripped apart in melee or to make it easier to shoot the mage first (note to self : levitate troll sam on next run in front of sec guards).

But damn, once again, we have a cover full of elves who look just like average-built humans with pointy ears.
Okay, there's fire-breathing doggies on it, too, so it's fine with me.
Damn, i'd be happy about Running Wild if it had the metavariant artwork from Runner's Companion on the cover as long as it finally gets published.

+Quote Post
wusselpompf
post Jan 5 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 16,249

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Jan 5 2009, 01:59 AM) *
Damn, i'd be happy about Running Wild if it had the metavariant artwork from Runner's Companion on the cover as long as it finally gets published.

are you absolutely, beyond any doubt sure about that? *shrugs*

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Jan 5 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (wusselpompf @ Jan 5 2009, 02:01 AM) *
are you absolutely, beyond any doubt sure about that? *shrugs*

I'd just wrap something intransparent around it and be happy that i finally have an SR critter book again.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 5 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 5 2009, 07:30 AM) *
That is a very, very cool cover.

Since we're on the topic, I have to say though I am a fan of Michael Komarck's covers, ala Street Magic.

However I was not impressed with the cover of Ghost Cartels and would go so far to say that I could draw a better cover (but my coloring unfortunately sucks).

- J.

I like Michael Komarck's art. His L5R art are good too.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jan 5 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Been happy with this one since first saw it awhile back. Critter book is one of my most wanted releases for this year.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jan 5 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Jan 5 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Either to avoid being ripped apart in melee or to make it easier to shoot the mage first (note to self : levitate troll sam on next run in front of sec guards).

But damn, once again, we have a cover full of elves who look just like average-built humans with pointy ears.
Okay, there's fire-breathing doggies on it, too, so it's fine with me.

I'm pretty sure the gunbunny is an orc. Elves don't typically have tusks. but even then, she's not nearly heavily built enough. Maybe it's a human elf/orc poseur.

As for the flying mage, maybe he's actually falling. We just can't see the troll off screen who tossed him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

I don't buy the books for the covers. While nice artwork is good, it's the writing I want.

+Quote Post
Meschler
post Jan 5 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 14,303

That Gunbunny is an Orc if you ask me. The Hacker is an Elv.

I like the Cover. Way better than Augmentation or Arsenal. We nead some good and realistic pictures of Metahumans. I realy like the elven girl from Runners Companion.

Just my 2 cents,
Meschler

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 5 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I dig it -- looks to me like the Ork Gunbunny's spinning around to fire on the Hellhounds, the Dwarf's maintaining a Levitation spell (to get out of "maul me with your big jaws" range) and getting ready to let 'er rip with some lightning, and the Elf hacker-type is frantically trying to...I dunno...look cool with his hip little beard, mostly, but no doubt do something with his electronics skills, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I really dig most of Komarck's artwork, though. Street Magic is awesome, of course. There's a real old school "fantasy epic" feel to a lot of his work that you don't often find in RPGs and RPG novels today. His cover art for Inside Straight has always just looked really cool to me, even though I have no idea who that character is or what's going on (second from the bottom in his gallery, far left column). The cover art for the Scion book (right next to it) is pretty slick, too.

There's not much artwork I've ever been tempted to buy prints of -- especially for games I don't play and books I've never read -- but those two are both pretty cool.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 5 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Meschler @ Jan 5 2009, 01:01 PM) *
We nead some good and realistic pictures of Metahumans. I realy like the elven girl from Runners Companion.

You're contradicting yourself. You want good pictures of metahumans but applaud a human-with-pointy-ears "elf" pic...

Can it be so hard to give clear guidelines to artists?
  • Elves and orks are taller than humans.
  • Elves do not look like humans with pointy ears (aka vulcans) - they are thin.
  • Orks are more massive than humans.
  • Trolls are way taller than humans (even with SR4's canonical height reduction).

I think the last pics that I know of elves looking like elves should date back to early-mid SR2... Trolls were always too small (laudable exceptions: SR2 BBB races chapter and Street Survival Guide cover).

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 5 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

LOVE the cover.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Jan 5 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Jan 4 2009, 05:59 PM) *
(note to self : levitate troll sam on next run in front of sec guards).

When you do, please be sure to remember to have him start shouting "BEWARE! I AM THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS! I AM HERE, AND SOON YOU SHALL NOT BE HERE!"

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jan 5 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Jan 5 2009, 10:35 AM) *
  • Orks are more massive than humans.
  • Trolls are way taller than humans (even with SR4's canonical height reduction).

And covered in warts and lumps (dermal deposits)! We mustn't forget those.
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jan 4 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Seriously, was there a set of rules that said that the cover art must never have the central character opening fire or defending themselves because it might be unpopular?

Yes. It's right after the rule that states every piece of Shdowrun cover art must have something exploding or bullets flying about or a dude with a cool sword or a fan-service "babe" in leather with a gun because guns are kewl and all that talky/thought-inducing shit's for the birds and emo kids.

Corporate Enclaves is the only 4th ed. cover that breaks from tradition. No surprise it's my favorite.

EDIT: Wait. No. There's a sword. Dang.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 5 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #23

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

It's not the job of an RPG supplement cover to be thoughtful and talky. It's the job of an RPG supplement cover to catch the eye, and make the random passerby at the comic book shop say "Woah, that looks awesome." The random passerby at the comic book shop likes guns and swords and hot girls in leather.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jan 5 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

My girlfriend who RPGs and likes comics, the hetero women on this board, and every hetero gaming woman on the planet would probably disagree with that statement.

"Thoughtful" doesn't have to equal "not awesome". Pics of girls with guns and leather is what makes the rest of the world think we gamers are a bunch of man-children. I'm really tired of that stereotype and I'm tired of art that reinforces it.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jan 5 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Mr Street,
Touche. Let me rephrase my position.

"The covers of most of the SR4 books don't look too obviously artificial."

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.