Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cover for Running Wild
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowPavement
I was doing some art searches online and came across this. Sweetness!

Running Wild Cover Art
Stahlseele
that's actually the first cover of the new books i like O.o
The Jake
That is a very, very cool cover.

Since we're on the topic, I have to say though I am a fan of Michael Komarck's covers, ala Street Magic.

However I was not impressed with the cover of Ghost Cartels and would go so far to say that I could draw a better cover (but my coloring unfortunately sucks).

- J.
wusselpompf
I really hope that this will be the final cover art. it looks awesome...
Cang
It will be the final cover. Adam said he liked the cover so much he has been holding off doing a critter book since the end of 3rd edition because he didn't want the badass cover go to waste. smile.gif
The Jake
QUOTE (Cang @ Jan 4 2009, 11:51 PM) *
It will be the final cover. Adam said he liked the cover so much he has been holding off doing a critter book since the end of 3rd edition because he didn't want the badass cover go to waste. smile.gif

Do you have a link?

- J.
Cang
The most recent time i could think of was in the Modern Death Podcast. Not sure when during it though.
Adam
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 4 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Do you have a link?

That's not exactly what I said. smile.gif What I said was, the cover was contracted years ago, back when Running Wild was going to be a SR3 book, and since then I've been eagerly awaiting Running Wild, or finding some sort of other good project to use that cover on. smile.gif
Cang
Well i was mostly right. I mean that is what i heard in my brain anyways. At least i didn't say something crazy like you said you were removing critters from the game. silly.gif
Heath Robinson
The problem I have with that artwork is that it's pretty static and the runner team has the posing bug that far too many pre-4th cover teams had. Look at the gunslinger with her guns pointing at the sky whilst a pack of cybered hellhounds burn her to a crisp. Look at the mage levitating for no reason. (Why is the mage always levitating? As if the fists full of lightning weren't enough!)

Seriously, was there a set of rules that said that the cover art must never have the central character opening fire or defending themselves because it might be unpopular? I hope they also said that the mage had to be levitating, because otherwise we have to heap the blame entirely on the artists and art selecters. The fields of fire cover is a perfect example of what I dislike about old Shadowrun cover art.

I actually genuinely like most of the covers in SR4. Surprisingly. As for the ones I dislike, at least cover teams are allowed to fire back now.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jan 5 2009, 01:46 AM) *
Why is the mage always levitating?

Either to avoid being ripped apart in melee or to make it easier to shoot the mage first (note to self : levitate troll sam on next run in front of sec guards).

But damn, once again, we have a cover full of elves who look just like average-built humans with pointy ears.
Okay, there's fire-breathing doggies on it, too, so it's fine with me.
Damn, i'd be happy about Running Wild if it had the metavariant artwork from Runner's Companion on the cover as long as it finally gets published.
wusselpompf
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Jan 5 2009, 01:59 AM) *
Damn, i'd be happy about Running Wild if it had the metavariant artwork from Runner's Companion on the cover as long as it finally gets published.

are you absolutely, beyond any doubt sure about that? *shrugs*
Rasumichin
QUOTE (wusselpompf @ Jan 5 2009, 02:01 AM) *
are you absolutely, beyond any doubt sure about that? *shrugs*

I'd just wrap something intransparent around it and be happy that i finally have an SR critter book again.
toturi
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 5 2009, 07:30 AM) *
That is a very, very cool cover.

Since we're on the topic, I have to say though I am a fan of Michael Komarck's covers, ala Street Magic.

However I was not impressed with the cover of Ghost Cartels and would go so far to say that I could draw a better cover (but my coloring unfortunately sucks).

- J.

I like Michael Komarck's art. His L5R art are good too.
Prime Mover
Been happy with this one since first saw it awhile back. Critter book is one of my most wanted releases for this year.
ornot
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Jan 5 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Either to avoid being ripped apart in melee or to make it easier to shoot the mage first (note to self : levitate troll sam on next run in front of sec guards).

But damn, once again, we have a cover full of elves who look just like average-built humans with pointy ears.
Okay, there's fire-breathing doggies on it, too, so it's fine with me.

I'm pretty sure the gunbunny is an orc. Elves don't typically have tusks. but even then, she's not nearly heavily built enough. Maybe it's a human elf/orc poseur.

As for the flying mage, maybe he's actually falling. We just can't see the troll off screen who tossed him. silly.gif

I don't buy the books for the covers. While nice artwork is good, it's the writing I want.
Meschler
That Gunbunny is an Orc if you ask me. The Hacker is an Elv.

I like the Cover. Way better than Augmentation or Arsenal. We nead some good and realistic pictures of Metahumans. I realy like the elven girl from Runners Companion.

Just my 2 cents,
Meschler
Critias
I dig it -- looks to me like the Ork Gunbunny's spinning around to fire on the Hellhounds, the Dwarf's maintaining a Levitation spell (to get out of "maul me with your big jaws" range) and getting ready to let 'er rip with some lightning, and the Elf hacker-type is frantically trying to...I dunno...look cool with his hip little beard, mostly, but no doubt do something with his electronics skills, too. wink.gif

I really dig most of Komarck's artwork, though. Street Magic is awesome, of course. There's a real old school "fantasy epic" feel to a lot of his work that you don't often find in RPGs and RPG novels today. His cover art for Inside Straight has always just looked really cool to me, even though I have no idea who that character is or what's going on (second from the bottom in his gallery, far left column). The cover art for the Scion book (right next to it) is pretty slick, too.

There's not much artwork I've ever been tempted to buy prints of -- especially for games I don't play and books I've never read -- but those two are both pretty cool.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Meschler @ Jan 5 2009, 01:01 PM) *
We nead some good and realistic pictures of Metahumans. I realy like the elven girl from Runners Companion.

You're contradicting yourself. You want good pictures of metahumans but applaud a human-with-pointy-ears "elf" pic...

Can it be so hard to give clear guidelines to artists?
  • Elves and orks are taller than humans.
  • Elves do not look like humans with pointy ears (aka vulcans) - they are thin.
  • Orks are more massive than humans.
  • Trolls are way taller than humans (even with SR4's canonical height reduction).

I think the last pics that I know of elves looking like elves should date back to early-mid SR2... Trolls were always too small (laudable exceptions: SR2 BBB races chapter and Street Survival Guide cover).
BookWyrm
LOVE the cover.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Jan 4 2009, 05:59 PM) *
(note to self : levitate troll sam on next run in front of sec guards).

When you do, please be sure to remember to have him start shouting "BEWARE! I AM THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS! I AM HERE, AND SOON YOU SHALL NOT BE HERE!"
Wesley Street
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Jan 5 2009, 10:35 AM) *
  • Orks are more massive than humans.
  • Trolls are way taller than humans (even with SR4's canonical height reduction).

And covered in warts and lumps (dermal deposits)! We mustn't forget those.
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jan 4 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Seriously, was there a set of rules that said that the cover art must never have the central character opening fire or defending themselves because it might be unpopular?

Yes. It's right after the rule that states every piece of Shdowrun cover art must have something exploding or bullets flying about or a dude with a cool sword or a fan-service "babe" in leather with a gun because guns are kewl and all that talky/thought-inducing shit's for the birds and emo kids.

Corporate Enclaves is the only 4th ed. cover that breaks from tradition. No surprise it's my favorite.

EDIT: Wait. No. There's a sword. Dang.
Critias
It's not the job of an RPG supplement cover to be thoughtful and talky. It's the job of an RPG supplement cover to catch the eye, and make the random passerby at the comic book shop say "Woah, that looks awesome." The random passerby at the comic book shop likes guns and swords and hot girls in leather.
Wesley Street
My girlfriend who RPGs and likes comics, the hetero women on this board, and every hetero gaming woman on the planet would probably disagree with that statement.

"Thoughtful" doesn't have to equal "not awesome". Pics of girls with guns and leather is what makes the rest of the world think we gamers are a bunch of man-children. I'm really tired of that stereotype and I'm tired of art that reinforces it.
Heath Robinson
Mr Street,
Touche. Let me rephrase my position.

"The covers of most of the SR4 books don't look too obviously artificial."
Brigandier
Aside from what's already been said, which to be honest I'd never really noticed before (the hot girl, the sword, etc.), I'd just like to point out that ever cover for a 'core rulebook' in Shadowrun 4th, with perhaps the exception of Runner's Companion, does do a good job of using set pieces to point out exactly what the book is about and I think that's what should really count right?

Arsenal uses a huge assortment of weapons, and the vehicle on the cover to show you that this is our gun book, here you go. Street Magic obviously shows itself to be the book all about magic by displaying a lightning spell and a weapon focus and whatever sort of crazy spirits those are supposed to be. And, while Unwired does indeed have a gunfight on the cover, the AR displays and the hacking are the major set pieces there showing you that this is the computer book, and all of the above mentioned books could probably be identified for what they are without the Title text at the top of each book announcing their purpose. And that, I think, is the hallmark of good cover design, even if there are certain formulas that all Shadowrun covers seem to adhere too.

Just my 2 nuyen.gif grinbig.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jan 5 2009, 09:30 PM) *
My girlfriend who RPGs and likes comics, the hetero women on this board, and every hetero gaming woman on the planet would probably disagree with that statement.

What, all 5 of them? Hetereo women are probably not the main target audience for a RPG company.
Wesley Street
I'm not the 1 of 5 men who happened to be lucky enough to have a gamer girlfriend. I don't know how it is in Europe but I attended GenCon this year and can say without a doubt that ladies make up a significant presence in the American gaming community. Any publisher that ignores that audience is shooting itself in the foot.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Brigandier @ Jan 5 2009, 11:03 PM) *
with perhaps the exception of Runner's Companion

she is a runners companion silly.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jan 5 2009, 03:30 PM) *

"Thoughtful" doesn't have to equal "not awesome". Pics of girls with guns and leather is what makes the rest of the world think we gamers are a bunch of man-children. I'm really tired of that stereotype and I'm tired of art that reinforces it.

Yeah, "every hetero gaming woman" is an exception, not a rule, though. Unwad your panties and do the math. I'm married to a gamer chick, too, but the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of gaming geeks are straight white guys who like chicks in leather, guns, and swords.

And blaming the poor reputation that gamers have on artwork alone is pretty silly, especially because you claim to have been to a Gencon. Look around you. There are walking, talking, stinking, avatars of the gamer stereotype waddling around Indianapolis for the better part of a week -- the artwork that markets to and panders to gamers is a symptom, not the disease itself.
Wesley Street
Ever hear the phrase, "at 51% of the population, women are the world's largest minority?" Hetero women (or any kind of woman) in anything from business to film to government to art to writing to sports are always going to be the exception, not the rule, if you just look at numbers. So does that make it okay to dismiss them out of hand? Please. And, yes, guys like tits. That's what it all boils down to when you talk cheesecake art. I love tits. But there's more to me as a person than my affection for breasts and taking the "sex sells" approach is always going to pander to the lowest common denominator which pisses me off. All RPGs have the potential to be more than male-centric, quietly erotic adventures.

I don't blame gamers' poor reputations on artwork alone. Yes, I saw all the fat, unwashed, basement-dwelling, two McGriddles-away-from-a-heart-attack, dorks at GenCon. That's inevitable at any comic book/sci-fi/game convention. I live in Indiana, the 2nd fattest state in the Union so I see that every day. I also saw many, many average-to-fit men and women of all ages and all walks of life, from teenage student to adult working professional. Geek is the "new cool" (whatever that means) and there's always a trickle of new faces into the gaming market and a strong force behind those new faces are women. If I was a developer trying to sell my product to this new audience and my rule book covers all had pictures of some chick with a sword and her baps hanging out... that would be a tough sell. Who would take me seriously? Mainstream comic book publishers still haven't picked up on this and yet they wonder why women don't read their books and tend to go for the independent labels.
Critias
You start up a gaming company that has a setting and rules set of the precise quality and "fun factor" as a rival (it's impossible, I know, but play along) and you put out artwork that showcases the coolness of your setting and has beefcake strapping young men on the cover to appeal to girl gamers, all in the name of fairness. Your rival gaming company (of magically the exact same quality of setting and rules set) will have colorful artwork that showcases the coolness of their setting (magically the exact same coolness as yours), and they'll occasionally toss in a hot chick in leather.

See which game company does better.

Take the high ground if you want to (which is, I think, a little silly because it's not like any Shadowrun cover has been nearly as "T&A" focused as the skanky booth babes at the White Wolf game booth year after year, and yet WW continues to have more female gamers than any other company I know of)...but the fact is game companies do what game companies have to do to show off their setting and catch the eye of their average consumer. Period.

Yes, there are hetero girl gamers. Like I said, I'm married to one. But no, they are by a long shot not the default core audience of the products being marketed by gaming companies. It might or might not be "fair" (or whatever), but it's life. I'm sure there are straight men, somewhere, that read romance novels, and I'm sure on some forum somewhere one of them is complaining about seeing Fabio all over the place. That's just marketing, and knowing (and pandering to) your prime target audience.
pbangarth
Critias hits the nail on the head. What interests me is WHY there are so many more female gamers at White Wolf than at other booths? What do they know that D&D, Shadowrun, etc. don't?

I've always perceived Shadowrun as one of the most gender-egalitarian games ever. I sell it that way to male and female prospects alike. Yet it still seems to attract a largely male audience.

How come? Is it the guns? Is it a lack of angsty vampires? What?

Peter
Heath Robinson
Traditional gender roles for males emphasize a goal-oriented mindset (and violence, typically). Traditional female gender roles place emphasis on social interaction (and a desire to be liked by everyone). People are still shaped quite significantly by these traditional gender roles. You should expect a game that focuses on contracted extralegal operations to attract male players more than female players.

The White Wolf settings are designed from the ground up to produce complex politics and an ingroup. They are primarily socially focussed games, which attract both guys (who typically want to achieve a result) and girls (who will typically enjoy the large amounts of social interaction involved). We should expect their player base to contain more females than Shadowrun's, on average. From what I know, Exalted does not get much female attention despite being a White Wolf game because the game's core character type do not have an established social order and all characters are assumed to begin play with a focus on achieving some goal.
Tiger Eyes
Um, philosophy aside, my fellow gamer-chick and I both think Runners Companion is the best cover for the SR4 books. Heck, when I'm thinking, what kinda runner do I want to be, the short dumpy dwarf lady wearing purple boxers on the front of SR4, or the hot elf chick in leather with weapons on Runners Companion...

Have you looked at the front of a Cosmo, Shape, or other magazine aimed towards straight women? Ever see a half-naked man on one? Noooo... and there's a reason for that. I was at the gym this morning, along with a hundred other women, and not one of us were reading a magazine with a guy on the cover. And except for Cooking Light, with a picture of some reduced-calorie cheesecake, all the magazines featured women wearing skimpy clothes, bikinis, or 1,000 dollar tight dresses.

I bet many gamer women would be more likely to pick up Runners Companion and flip thru it than, say, Street Magic. It says, this is a game with leather-clad sexy women, with awesome boots, good makeup, wielding swords and kicking butt.... I can speak with confidence because I am a straight woman. And a gamer and I read Cosmo. nyahnyah.gif (And those who met me at GenCon can verify I am, indeed, a female.)
BishopMcQ
(There is even evidence in Bull's photos that Tiger Eyes is a woman)
Black Jack Rackham
Well, I for one agreed with Tiger Eyes enough to put the Runner's Companion cover on my list of wants for X-mas. My wife (who incidentally doesn't game) thought it was cool enough to get it for me.

Mark

(and yes, you can come to my gamer den and see it if you want to.)
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jan 6 2009, 07:08 PM) *
(There is even evidence in Bull's photos that Tiger Eyes is a woman)

Yeah, and this year I'm gonna preview those pictures first, that was totally not a good picture of me. Bull, I expect better in 2009.
K M Faust
I'm not the 1 of 5 men who happened to be lucky enough to have a gamer girlfriend. I don't know how it is in Europe but I attended GenCon this year and can say without a doubt that ladies make up a significant presence in the American gaming community. Any publisher that ignores that audience is shooting itself in the foot.

I'm torn about this topic as I see gargantuan amounts of T&A when it comes to scifi in general. As an rpg experience, I think Shadowrun is different and gives its fair share of kitch with some sex appeal, but is not demeaning about it. Actually, this is what I like most about the game. I like the females on the covers as I can relate to the characters who embody the kick ass directive. As a female (Hon, count youself as one of the five men with a consort who loves gaming) I get so tired of seeing female characters (more specifically in movies than rpg games) who play the dim-whitted lay back and save me, but screw me first characters. If Shadowrun was structured in this way, I wouldn't play it...period. As for the social aspect of rpg games, I equally enjoy being a face sometimes and 'getting my hands dirty.' Just because I'm female doesn't mean I lack any testosterone (women have trace amounts along with estrogen and progesterone...why we crave sex at certain times of the month) and really enjoy beating the shit or blowing away an NPC just as much as my male counterparts. I've only been lucky enough, within the past year, to have a boyfriend who enjoys rpg games and has a gaming group....it doesn't mean I haven't wanted to play rpg games in the past. I feel it's difficult for female players to be taken seriously as gamers, unless they have a forehead shaped like a klingon, weights 300 lbs., and is annoyingly loud when she plays.

I diversify my time by enjoying comics (including manga), rpging, scifi novels, PSP games, scifi movies, and scifi/fantasy board games.
Critias
QUOTE (K M Faust @ Jan 6 2009, 08:42 PM) *
I feel it's difficult for female players to be taken seriously as gamers, unless they have a forehead shaped like a klingon, weights 300 lbs., and is annoyingly loud when she plays.

Really? Because I feel just the opposite, both with the female gamers I've known locally (through about 17 years of RPGing) and at the Gencons and Dragon*Con's I've gone to.

The gals who show up just wanting to game, well, game, and no one cares if they've got tits or not. The ones that show up and have to make a big deal about how their a girl gamer, are annoyingly loud, etc, etc, are the ones that aren't taken seriously as gamers.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 6 2009, 04:39 PM) *
Um, philosophy aside, my fellow gamer-chick and I both think Runners Companion is the best cover for the SR4 books. Heck, when I'm thinking, what kinda runner do I want to be, the short dumpy dwarf lady wearing purple boxers on the front of SR4, or the hot elf chick in leather with weapons on Runners Companion...

Have you looked at the front of a Cosmo, Shape, or other magazine aimed towards straight women? Ever see a half-naked man on one? Noooo... and there's a reason for that. I was at the gym this morning, along with a hundred other women, and not one of us were reading a magazine with a guy on the cover. And except for Cooking Light, with a picture of some reduced-calorie cheesecake, all the magazines featured women wearing skimpy clothes, bikinis, or 1,000 dollar tight dresses.

Dang. As soon as I hit post I had a feeling that someone would point out the ladies fashion magazine conundrum. I remember reading an interview with Drew Barrymore prior to the release of Charlie's Angels. Lucy Liu and Cameron Diaz were still on the fence about the script but she managed to convince them by saying something along the lines of "we get to wear cool clothes and kick ass. What more do you want?". So there's a perfect example of a sexy, female friendly fantasy. Yeah, obviously women have no problem looking at images of attractive women. Men read GQ because they want to be Daniel Craig with his suits, chiseled features and taught gut. Doesn't make them gay. Given a choice, most guys would rather be James Bond than Gimli.

Okay, I know I had some points I wanted to make before I went off on what sounded like an Andrea Dworkin-style women's lib rant... Oh yes.

1) It's possible to portray sexy women without falling into the lowest common denominator (ie: chicks in chainmail bikinis). Not every gamer male wants a cover that looks like Doom of Odin. Some of us do have brains and rather enjoy the subtle sexy.
2) Pretty much every cover of Shadowrun is a variation on the "action pose-out" (sexy chicks or not) with very little revealing about the setting itself. The Sixth World is actually a very rich tapestry in which many themes can be explored. My favorite scene in all the Star Wars movies is the first thirty seconds of the Mos Eisley cantina scene. Everything you need to know about the franchise is in it: the galaxy is alien, a little dark and worn but eerily familiar. Though everyone remembers the lightsaber fights and the Death Star battle, Mos Eisley is what sets the tone. Just off the top of my head, one of the standard tropes of Shadowrun is the Mr. Johnson-meet but I can't think of a single cover that shows this. That was a missed opportunity for Unwired which went down the bullets and explosions route.
3) Recycling the same-old, same-old is bad. Ask any comic reader.

Personally, my favorite cover of SR4 has been Arsenal, as it's one of the few that has stepped away from the genre conventions and doesn't take itself too seriously.
hobgoblin
didnt the front of corp enclaves do a meet of sorts?
Wesley Street
Actually, it did and I spaced out on that one. I really like that cover.
hobgoblin
at least i it seems that there have been no SR4 cover so far that have shown something impossible, like that SR3 hovercar...
Malachi
Or that guy on Man & Machine fighting off a legion of Cyberzom... oops, I mean "anthroform drones."
Earlydawn
Thematically, I like what was attempted with Arsenal, but, as people have noticed, the angles of some of the weapons in the foreground are way off, and bizarre looking. It also highlighted a pet peeve I have with SR4; silly looking firearms. Most ranged weapons in the core book look like some kind of premium nerf blaster or something. Arsenal's actual contents did a little better in this regard, but there are still some guns that look flat-out silly. The prime example in my mind is the rifle in the core book derived from the XM8. (the actual name escapes me at the moment) Instead of making something that looks like a more streamlined, revised version of the rifle's source, the artist decided to not only make it impossibly geometric, but turn it into a bullpup. The future of firearms is not redesigned and huge; the future is ergonomic.

Unwired was a fun cover, and did a fine job of showing off the new AR side of the matrix, but could have had a better backdrop. Loved the floating AR windows, particularly the motion sensor and the visible user interface elements (tab switching, etc), but wished the hacker was doing something a little bit more "hacker-y". The art in the matrix chapter of the core book is a good example; you can see him manipulating the AR, but you can also see his drone hammering down on the target. Wish Unwired had him doing something like taking over a turret while he unlocked a door, but it's not a bad cover.

Ghost Cartels was.. ok. I liked the plant spirit attacking, since there isn't a huge amount of SR4 imagery on what spirits look like in action, but I hate the fact that the runners don't look differently geared for the environment. Stupid.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012