Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ares Firewatch
awolfromlife
post Jan 5 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,379

My group wants to make a Runner team that used to be Ares Firewatch, the story being their SINs were all erased in the Crash. But all I have been able to find are small blurbs throughout a few books. Anyone know of any books I could show them to give them an idea of how Ares Firewatch is set up, how the teams run etc. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Jan 5 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

The novel Burning Bright's where they first appeared, IIRC. They also get a mention or two in Arsenal, I think.

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Jan 5 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

I don't remeber where I read it, but one of the older Corp Profile books covered Firewatch teams. They were all very skilled (rank 6 or 7 in SR4) at what they did, and were decked out with SOTA gear, and Delta Grade Cyberware. The mages were at least a level 2 or 3 Grade init, and had about an essence worth of Delta Grade ware.

Edit: Found it
Page 126, Corprate Downloads

They work in teams of 5 to 7, including at least one rigger and one mage.

They basicly have anything they ask for, and all the cyberware they have is minimum Alpha grade, with beta and delta also being common.
All the mages have to be at least initiation grade 3 or higher, and tend know Sheilding and Centering.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jan 5 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (awolfromlife @ Jan 5 2009, 08:28 AM) *
My group wants to make a Runner team that used to be Ares Firewatch, the story being their SINs were all erased in the Crash. But all I have been able to find are small blurbs throughout a few books. Anyone know of any books I could show them to give them an idea of how Ares Firewatch is set up, how the teams run etc. Thanks.

KE is not going to misplace a firewatch team. They are far too valuable and dangerous, and there are just not that many of them. It's like being a SEAL. There are just not that many of them, everyone knows the senior NCOs and officers, and any SEAL is probably only two people away from someone who has worked or trained with any other SEAL. And when a platoon and their gear comes up missing senior people will start investigating and asking pointed questions.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Jan 5 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

QUOTE (kzt @ Jan 5 2009, 11:57 AM) *
KE is not going to misplace a firewatch team. They are far too valuable and dangerous, and there are just not that many of them. It's like being a SEAL. There are just not that many of them, everyone knows the senior NCOs and officers, and any SEAL is probably only two people away from someone who has worked or trained with any other SEAL. And when a platoon and their gear comes up missing senior people will start investigating and asking pointed questions.

Very true. You're much better having them sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. They promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no-one else can help, and if you can find them...

+Quote Post
Immortal Elf
post Jan 5 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 16,445

QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Jan 5 2009, 02:06 PM) *
Very true. You're much better having them sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. They promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no-one else can help, and if you can find them...

Hahahaha! Loved that...

+Quote Post
martindv
post Jan 5 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

I don't like how they went from three six-man teams worldwide who basically operated as a cybered/maged-up version of The Unit in Burning Bright (i.e., that they could and did take tactical control over any and all Ares/KE assets to lead the operation themselves straight from Knight/Soaring-Eagle) to a glorified SWAT team.

+Quote Post
Kev
post Jan 5 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,063

QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Jan 5 2009, 03:06 PM) *

Yup... that was awesome. Thanks for a laugh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jan 6 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

I don't suppose you'ver got a stat list, for, say, the SASR. Or, for the inferior British version, the SAS. Curious how they stack up against an average Firewatch team.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jan 6 2009, 04:03 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

You really can't compare. The real skills of those kind of teams don't work in SR. For one thing shooting is vastly easier in SR than it is in real life, so the 10-20 hours a week Delta spends shooting is totally not needed. Plus they are all wearing what is effectively 12 points of armor, are experts in a whole lot of skills including using support weapons, land nav, stealth, stealing cars, picking locks, etc.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 6 2009, 04:23 AM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Compare the Ares Firewatch in Corp Download to the other megacorps' elite security forces. You'd notice a difference.

I don't like how they went from three six-man teams worldwide who basically operated as a cybered/maged-up version of The Unit in Burning Bright (i.e., that they could and did take tactical control over any and all Ares/KE assets to lead the operation themselves straight from Knight/Soaring-Eagle) to a glorified SWAT team.

If you read Corp Download wrt SR3, you'd know how that can happen.

+Quote Post
martindv
post Jan 8 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

KE separately formed the ACCs and then the book watered Firewatch down for basically no reason. That's what I got from CD.

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 5 2009, 07:41 PM) *
I don't suppose you'ver got a stat list, for, say, the SASR. Or, for the inferior British version, the SAS. Curious how they stack up against an average Firewatch team.

I'm sure that someone has posted stats for SAS and/or other special units in SR.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (kzt @ Jan 5 2009, 10:57 AM) *

Not that I ever see the equivalent level of power to a firewatch team in my game but... What about Erased(RC)?
The first sentence implies that anything, be it physical or data, in Shadowrun can be contained or controlled. I prefer to think the world a bit more chaotic. And I believe its up to each GM to decide how chaotic their game plays.

My version of the first sentence would be "KE will not willingly let go of any firewatch team, or memeber."
Could even add a second sentence, "Anyone trying to leave the program is reprogrammed and if that fails to take, they are neutralized."

I hope awolffromlife has a great game, and I don't think anyone here is in a position to tell him any thing is impossible. Improbable perhaps, but impossible is up to him and his players.

HentaiZonga, Awesome post.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jan 8 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

The point is that:

a) Questions would be raised by important people if they disappeared. People don't really believe computer reports that say that someone they knew never existed. Particularly people worth a million or two in training and equipment each who are loaded with extremely lethal gear that needs to be accounted for.

b) They have enough skill to slip into Damien Knight 's office one night to so they can greet him bright and early in the AM and ask him to put them back on the payroll.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jan 8 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (kzt @ Jan 8 2009, 09:13 AM) *
The point is that:

a) Questions would be raised by important people if they disappeared. People don't really believe computer reports that say that someone they knew never existed. Particularly people worth a million or two in training and equipment each who are loaded with extremely lethal gear that needs to be accounted for.

b) They have enough skill to slip into Damien Knight 's office one night to so they can greet him bright and early in the AM and ask him to put them back on the payroll.

a) I don't disagree to any of that. I hope the edition they are playing has "Hunted", as I cannot remember if RC had it or not. The hunt would be the aspect of the campaign I enjoyed most, player or GM.

b) Who says they aren't? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Sometimes when I think that I have gotten out of a trap, I find that I only placed myself deeper inside it.

I am just saying the thread as about info on the group, not a critique of their play choices. But I am glad it happened, the A-team post made my day.

BlueMax
/does that make Zonga a punk?
//"Go ahead punk, make my day"

+Quote Post
brennanhawkwood
post Jan 8 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 7,468

QUOTE (kzt @ Jan 8 2009, 12:13 PM) *

Questions would especially if a whole team of such people disappear. One them slipping off the books and getting away with fading into the background and resurfacing as someone new might work, but even then it would really help if they had inside assistance or convincingly faked their death.

Also, from what I've read (in-game and real world), people that become members of really elite combat units are often extremely loyal to the organization they serve. While there are inevitably going to be exceptions (especially in a game) you don't invest those sort or resources into someone that you aren't pretty sure is really damned loyal. As a result, even if a Firewatch team suddenly didn't 'exist' would they leave or would they simply report it to their supervisors so that it could be fixed or taken advantage of by ARES.

If your players want that type of group my suggestions would be:
  1. Take the idea and switch which organization they are slipping away from. There are lots of paramilitary or military groups that provide high end training and equipment in the SR world. You may well be able to settle on one that still gets the 'feel' the players are after but which would not be as difficult to explain them successfully slipping away. There is a difference between elite and elite but they are both lethal.
  2. For your game, water down the Ares Firewatch teams so that they are not as elite as they are sometimes described so that it makes more sense that they were able to loose track of one of them.
  3. Let Ares "lose" them in the Crash2.0...or so they think. (Could even go to the extreme of sleeper personalities, though I think I would just let them think they got away with it or have it be a known cover story for a still loyal team).
  4. Come up with stats that look good to you and don't worry about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
awolfromlife
post Jan 8 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 16,379

Thank you all for your ideas and info. It has been a really big help.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jan 8 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (brennanhawkwood @ Jan 8 2009, 09:31 PM) *
Also, from what I've read (in-game and real world), people that become members of really elite combat units are often extremely loyal to the organization they serve. While there are inevitably going to be exceptions (especially in a game) you don't invest those sort or resources into someone that you aren't pretty sure is really damned loyal. As a result, even if a Firewatch team suddenly didn't 'exist' would they leave or would they simply report it to their supervisors so that it could be fixed or taken advantage of by ARES.

You'll find that the vast bulk of people in the military are loyal. Yes, you'll get people who whinge and you'll get people who dislike being there in the first place, but by and large all of my mates and I went *berserk* the moment someone said something that we even imagined contained a slight against the RAAF. I still do. Something instilled into you in basic training, and not by accident, obviously.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jan 9 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #19

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

If you want them to leave the company why not have a team of seven of them out doing sneaky-beaky stuff somewhere fairly remote and backwards when they're ambushed and suddenly get hit by massive firepower from an opposition that the intelligence bods missed, the corporate higher ups running the show have the decision to make - either write them and the mission off or send in any backup that they can even if it's a long way out and a good 30-40 minutes off at maximum speed. Unfortunately by quirk of fate circumstances have changed and what was an approved mission now has the possibility of becoming highly politically embarrassing and costing Ares a very large amount of money if it were to come out, which is all but certain if they send in extra resources.

The suits do a quick cost analysis and decide to pull the op leaving the team to die. They continue to watch, either by satellite or surveillance drone, as the team is attacked again and looks certain to be overrun and slaughtered when the Crash hits knocking out whatever they were watching via and the feed. Assuming that they obviously must have died the executives back home commence covering their arses by deleting all records of the team and start telling everyone that knew them that they were killed in a helicopter crash during a routine training exercise, no doubt helped along by the Crash screwing with records as well. The team however survived whilst still losing X number of team members and fought their way clear. Realising that they'd been left for dead they decide 'Bugger this, why keep working for those bastards I'm going freelance' and there you go.

Explains why they'd go rogue, why if you only have four players then what happened to the other three team members, gives you a get-out if none of the players want to play a certain archetype like rigger/decker/mage/whatever that a Firewatch Team would definitely have in a team, starts you off with a team of highly skilled and cyber-biowared PCs but with very few other resources even when they get back to the UCAS and why they wouldn't have any records. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Edit: Christ I'm a wordy bastard tonight. Must be all the essays I'm trying to get finished for next week.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jan 9 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

One could argue even Firewatch teams are expendible when it comes to the Bugs...

- J.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 9 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jan 9 2009, 02:14 AM) *
Edit: Christ I'm a wordy bastard tonight. Must be all the essays I'm trying to get finished for next week.

Speaking of which, have you finished them yet? No, then what are you doing here, hmmm?

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Jan 9 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

Send their whole company on a 'routine' mission that turns into an inescapable death ride. All is well, then they hit a hot LZ losing all their officers and NCOs as all hell breaks loose. They have to fight through an army and take 95% losses but complete the mission. They find out later that the mission was leaked by a traitor, and, instead of killing the sumbitch responsible the corp grants him immunity for his secrets. The survivors feel they and their dead have been betrayed and bolt. All hell breaks loose again.

(I stole this from a book. A cookie for anyone who can name it.)

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Jan 9 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

Path of the Fury?

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Jan 9 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

QUOTE (Fuchs @ Jan 9 2009, 06:19 AM) *
Path of the Fury?

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Cookie for Fuchs!
Though 'In Fury Born' a.k.a. the full unabridged version is better IMO.
I had kind of hoped it might take longer than that for someone to get it, but, oh well.

Consequently, I may have to run that on my group just to amuse myself.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Jan 9 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

QUOTE (Tachi @ Jan 9 2009, 02:24 PM) *
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Cookie for Fuchs!
Though 'In Fury Born' a.k.a. the full unabridged version is better IMO.
I had kind of hoped it might take longer than that for someone to get it, but, oh well.

Consequently, I may have to run that on my group just to amuse myself.

I used parts of the plot of "Path of the Fury" in a SF special game this and last week.

I just ordered "In Fury Born" - curious where it differs from "Path of the Fury"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.