Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Shotgun For Your Amusement, Yet Another Silly Weapon
Big Crow
post Jan 6 2004, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,512

A character in my group demanded an Ithaca Roadblocker for his character, and having the time, I obliged. I just thought I'd share it for anyone who was interested.

Ares ASG-3 “Roadblocker”
This is the most powerful commercially produced semiautomatic shotgun available today. The Roadblocker is a very large and heavy weapon, intended for use at roadblocks where it would not, presumably, be carried for extended periods. The Roadblocker uses custom anti-vehicular ammunition, and is used primarily to disable fleeing vehicles. It is available only to certified law enforcement and military organizations.
The gas system is located at the front of the magazine tube, limiting the Roadblocker’s ammunition capacity to two rounds, and one in the firing chamber. Another aspect of the gas system is its counter-recoil design called “countercoil” by the manufacture.
The Roadblocker is available only to certified law enforcement and military purchasers.

Ares ASG-3
CODE

Conceal Ammo Mode Damage Weight Availability  Cost   Street Index Legal RC
   3    2(m)  SA    8D     8     14/12 Days  1,925¥        3      2-PF  2

The Roadblocker is a large caliber weapon, and as such, incurs a +2 recoil penalty. The heavy barrel and innovative gas system of the Roadblocker effectively negate the +2 recoil penalty afforded by its heavy caliber. The custom ammunition for the Roadblocker costs 600¥ per box of 10 with a Street Index and Availability of 14/12 Days and 2 respectively. Treat the custom ammunition for this weapon as AV rounds, as per the rules on pg. 36 of the Cannon Companion.

<<<Developer’s Notes
This weapon is obviously based on the real life Ithaca MAG-10 “Roadblocker”. For purposes of game play for Shadowrun, I have modified the basic design I created from the Cannon Companion by borrowing from the Barret Model 121 sniper rifle. My guiding principals were; the weapon must be capable of *possibly* taking out a car in one solid shot, it must compete with Shadowrun shotguns with higher Power levels that also offer Burst Fire, it must be expensive and difficult to obtain, and it must be balanced.

As such:
  • Low ammo capacity helps to balance this weapon.
  • Although not all groups worry about weight, this weapon weighs approximately 17lbs unloaded.
  • It is considered a military grade weapon.
  • It is difficult to obtain, and is expensive.

In addition, with clues gained in an arcane process, I decided that for roughly the equivalent of two levels of Increased Power, you could exchange the +2 Power level for and increased Damage Level. However, doing so requires the weapon uses custom ammunition, and suffer +2 for recoil. I used the rules for custom ammunition as presented for the Barret Model 121, with the following results: Whereas the Barret’s ammunition is based on standard APDS, it’s cost is roughly 2.8 times the cost for APDS. Hence, the Roadblockers ammunition is based on standard AV ammunition, so by the same logic the Roadblocker’s custom ammunition is 571.43¥, which rounded for game’s sake I decided should be 600¥. The Street index and Availability was taken as is, but reflects the fact that regardless of the particular model the weapon uses the same ammunition.>>>

An Alternate Version Designed Strictly From CC

Ares ASG-3 “Roadblocker”
One of the most powerful commercially produced semiautomatic shotgun available today. The Roadblocker is a very large and heavy weapon, intended for use at roadblocks where it would not, presumably, be carried for extended periods. The Roadblocker uses typically uses anti-vehicular ammo, and its primary role is to quickly disable fleeing vehicles.
The gas system is located at the front of the magazine tube, limiting the Roadblocker’s ammo capacity to five rounds, and one in the firing chamber. Another aspect of the gas system is its counter-recoil design called “countercoil” by the manufacture.
The Roadblocker is available only to certified law enforcement and military purchasers.

Ares ASG-3
CODE

Conceal Ammo Mode Damage Weight Availability  Cost   Street Index Legal RC
   3    5(m)  SA    10S   5.5     8/8 Days   1,800¥        1       4-PF 1

Having presented this with a light heart, is there anyone who would like to offer any constructive criticisms?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 6 2004, 05:03 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Yep, make yourself a Troll mage and saw the stock off your custom model. Then it "sounds like rock and/or roll"!!

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Jan 6 2004, 05:03 AM

+Quote Post
Big Crow
post Jan 6 2004, 05:31 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (kevyn668)
Yep, make yourself a Troll mage and saw the stock off your custom model. Then it "sounds like rock and/or roll"!!

:D Sawing through an intregal gas-recoil system can cause "reliability issues". :D

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 6 2004, 06:37 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Big Crow)
Sawing through an intregal gas-recoil system can cause "reliability issues".

That'd be true if the Gas Venting was in the stock, and not the barrel. :D

+Quote Post
Big Crow
post Jan 6 2004, 07:06 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Big Crow @ Jan 6 2004, 04:31 PM)
Sawing through an intregal gas-recoil system can cause "reliability issues".

That'd be true if the Gas Venting was in the stock, and not the barrel. :D

Ummmm. I'm not sure I follow you. Barrel shortening is common in sawed shotguns, and many shotguns do have gas-recoil systems right below their barrels, making shortening them a bad idea. Besides, barrel shortening of this weapon would ruin it because it is not intended to fire "shot" rounds.
The amount of concealabilty increase for shortening a MAG-10's stock would be maybe -1, but it would be very unwieldy and dangerous, although a troll could pull it off.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 6 2004, 07:15 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

That's all fine and dandy, but the stock of a rifle or shotgun is the wooden (or plastic) part that fits against your shoulder. It has nothing to do with the barrel, which is at the other end of the weapon. :)

+Quote Post
3Threes
post Jan 6 2004, 07:24 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,776

read carefully and you will see he (kevyn668) said to saw off the stock - not the barrel

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 6 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Doesn't the stock provide RC?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 6 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Not by way of Gas Venting!

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 6 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

No. Welcome to the wonderful world of Wacky Ass Shadowrun Rules.

Folding stocks provide RC. Normal stocks don't. Like I said, Wacky Ass.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 6 2004, 07:59 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Normal stocks don't.

Unless you fit it with a Shock Pad. :)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 6 2004, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Which is wacky ass!

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Jan 6 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,871

I give my players RC if the gun has a stock and they use it right.

SHock pad BAH! I need no stinkin shock pad, unless its on my hands!!!
mwahahahaha (zzzzzzap) OWWWW.

Note to self, take shock pads off when scratching @$$ and other unmentionables.
:eek:

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 6 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Runner

yep, I said "stock".

I figured, hey you're a Troll. You got the strength to soak that RC!

Or is it body? Or was the body from Fields of Fire and strength is from the CC...? **shakes head**

What was that about wacky ass rules?? :D

I always ruled it that if you had a stock on a weapon, you got the RC. Other wise, all my chars that ever carried a weapon w/ stock would saw those babies right off!!

Note to self, take shock pads off when scratching @$$ and other unmentionables.

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
Big Crow
post Jan 6 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (kevyn668)
yep, I said "stock".

:rotfl:

You certainly did. And I have learned a lesson about reading and playing Madden at the same time. Sorry Kev.

Rigid stocks, according to page 83 of CC, grant the 1 point recoil reduction same as a folding stock, however rifles and shotguns are specifically exempted.
Does anyone know any canon rules for the effect of shortening the stock if an off-the-shelf rifle or shotgun? I'm digging through SSC and Fields of Fire, but not finding anything yet.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 6 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Not canon, but I would personally just reverse the rules for adding the stock. +1 recoil, -whatever concealability.
As for the "folding stocks give RC while fixed don't". I just assume any weapon that has a stock and doesn't get RC from it to have it already factored in, hence my suggested ruling above. Some oddities like the SPAS-22 are left, but in general it's a very workable system. If the exceptions bother you so much, apply aforementioned penalty when stock isn't deployed rather than giving a bonus when it is.

~J

+Quote Post
StealthBanana
post Jan 6 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 3,840

It's a shotgun... designed to take out cars? Of the moving variety? Here is the opinion of one who does not know much about guns:

A shotgun is a short range gun, ya? Cars move very fast. I guess it could be used to disable immobile vehicles... but this weapon isn't used to try and stop moving vehicles, is it?

I dunno, it just seems kind of silly to me. With all the military restrictions on the gun, why not use a grenade? Or a rocket launcher, which is just as restricted and easier to fire. I think. I suspect. I actually have no idea, having never fired a rocket launcher.

If I'm completely wrong, just ignore this post and move on :grinbig:

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Jan 6 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

don't forget that SR shotguns use slug rounds, not shot. so hitting a moving vehicle shouldn't be any more difficult than when using other slug throwers.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 6 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Runner

Big Crow Posted on Jan 6 2004, 04:50 PM
  You certainly did. And I have learned a lesson about reading and playing Madden at the same time. Sorry Kev.

S'cool, omae. The only way to get better at multi-tasking is to practice. :)

StealthBanana Posted on Jan 6 2004, 05:46 PM
  It's a shotgun... designed to take out cars? Of the moving variety? Here is the opinion of one who does not know much about guns:

A shotgun is a short range gun, ya? Cars move very fast. I guess it could be used to disable immobile vehicles... but this weapon isn't used to try and stop moving vehicles, is it?

If the car was moving toward you, like if you were at a road block, the relative speed wouldn't matter that much.

I don't know the rate of fall for shot but 12 gauge slugs drop an inch for every ten feet, I believe, and I think they travel at like 200 feet per second. That should do it, IMO. Can someone back me or correct me?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 6 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

StealthBanana: It is based on an actual, RL weapon that police use to stop cars in road blocks. The principle is certainly sound.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 6 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #21

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (kevyn668)
<snip>I figured, hey you're a Troll. You got the strength to soak that RC!

Or is it body? Or was the body from Fields of Fire and strength is from the CC...? **shakes head**</snip>

As a long-time SR2 player, in both FoF and CC, it's Strength, not Body.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 6 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #22

Runner

@ tanka:

sorry. :sheepishgrin: its been a while. :)

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 6 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #23

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (kevyn668)
@ tanka:

sorry. :sheepishgrin: its been a while. :)

S'OK, it happens. I sometimes forget and have to re-read the section when I play one version for a bit too much time.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jan 6 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

kevyn668:

The muzzle velocity of a 12-gauge slug is between 1500 and 1800 feet per second (FPS), depending upon such things as the weight of the slug (generally around 1 oz. (437.5 grains/28.35 grams), although some are as heavy as 600 grains (1.37 oz./39 grams)) and powder charge.

Also-- and no disrespect is intended here -- the Ithaca MAG-10 "Roadblocker" is chambered for the 10-gauge, 3.5" Magnum shell.

Ten-gauge slugs are slightly heavier, weighing 766 grains (1.75 oz./49.6 grams).

(The information comes from CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD, 7th Edition , written by Fred C. Barnes and edited by Mike Bussard (1985 by DBI Books, Inc.).)

Just thought you might be interested. :)

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jan 7 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #25

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

Let me first apologize for my criticism here. I fear that it probably isn't as constructive as you would like it to be, in the sense that it furthers the development of the gun. Perhaps it will give you ideas on how to address the situation that the weapon was designed for.

Considering the rules of the game, I don't see much reason why anyone would buy a weapon like this when they can just buy an Enfield AS7, load it with AV ammo and burst fire at whatever they need to. It would have three bursts at 11D each, plus an extra round. The AS7 costs almost half what the ASG-3 does, it's half the weight at the same conceal rating, and it's apparently much easier to find. If the ASG-3 is supposed to be a military/law enforcement only weapon, it should probably have a legality rating of 2-K, or at least 2-F, without the possibility of acquiring a permit.

The downside to the AS7 is that you do have to deal with a +3 recoil modifier per burst. Not really a big deal, IMO.

As for this recoil-absorbing gas system that reduces ammunition capacity, it really wouldn't have to, as long as you made it feed from a box magazine rather than a tubular magazine. (That goes against the whole Ithaca MAG-10 thing, but...) It could work a lot like the AK107/108 in that case.

Overall, I think the alternate version is better.

As for disabling vehicles at roadblocks, you'd probably have better luck with a spike strip (controlled deflation device) or a system that, when run over, contacts the bottom of the vehicle and sends a massive jolt of electricity into it, shorting out the vehicle's electronics (Read: fuel injection. These things exist in reality, though they aren't very common). You could probably get both of those things for less than the cost of this shotgun.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.